Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 12:08   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Apparently the name comes from ZIppy CAr (inspired from INDIan CAr?). Let's see how zippy will it be.

Last edited by safari_lover : 24th November 2015 at 12:10.
safari_lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 13:31   #272
BHPian

It was reported way back in June'15 on Team BHP that Kite hatchback and sedan will be called "Zica" and "Sway" respectively.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3741923
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 13:39   #273
BHPian

Read somewhere - Zica = hypen. (not hyphen) - but to hypen a state ... example hypen a state of mind.

I loved Sway. But I am not so sure about Zica. Curious to know how Tata decides to pronounce it. & how it gets interpreted across India. Zest, Bolt, Nano, Hexa, Sway - all good. Zica. Not sure at all ! But I like the 4 letter theme they are following.

So codename Falcon 4 & 5 - became Bolt & Zest. Kite 4 & 5 became Zica & Sway. Pelican ... let's see when that comes.

Overall - the car does look promising. It might have some class leading features too. AMT might be there too. Even Tata Motors employees don't know much yet. Quite a secret. Might be launched at AutoExpo 2016 ? If priced right - IMHO definitely a better buy than the i10 & Celerio - both cramped for space and nowhere close to the feature list this one is expected to provide. It's akin to a Grand i10 at i10 price, I think. (being too optimistic?) What other cars does this compete with?

Also, earlier there was a discussion about Indica & Indigo - this is nothing like any of those. Tata is manufacturing this at Sanand plant, while the Indica & Indigo continue to be manufactured where they already are. Assembly lines have not been shifted. So this is a new product.
Tata might continue to sell the Indica, Indigo, maybe even the Vista & Manza to the Taxi segment - since those are tried and tested products and have been brining in volumes of around 4-5k (average) steadily per month. While Zica, Sway, Zest & Bolt - remain EXCLUSIVE to the private buyer. Thus, finally, creating a clear demarcation between a Tata taxi & Tata car. (unlike the blurry line between a Dzire & Dzire Tour or a Etios). I think this is a good move. Rather than create a new 'dealership' experience (read Nexa) and setup new dealers etc. - separate cars for separate categories should work well.

Now all that needs to be seen is how they tackle 'service'. They recently have a mega camp going on at all workshops. Getting calls inviting to the free camp, free wash & some other freebies and discounts. A lot of things in the service centres are going in a positive direction - but only time will tell if they manage to get it right in time and stick to it.
The cars are definitely improving leaps and bounds.

Quite frankly, I agree to Latheesh's comment. When we can have a Laura, a Lodgy, a Duster (first thing that comes to my mind is a blackboard), Scala (almost a bad word) - Zica is definitely QUIRKY - but not outright bad. Yes, they could have done better like the others.

All the best Tata. Don't screw up and this finds a place in my home.

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 24th November 2015 at 13:40.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 18:02   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
It's akin to a Grand i10 at i10 price, I think. (being too optimistic?) What other cars does this compete with?
I would say, let's wait for the launch before getting too excited. It's not like TML never goofs up on pricing (Think Aria, and now Bolt).

Quote:
Tata might continue to sell the Indica, Indigo, maybe even the Vista & Manza to the Taxi segment .... While Zica, Sway, Zest & Bolt - remain EXCLUSIVE to the private buyer. Thus, finally, creating a clear demarcation between a Tata taxi & Tata car. (unlike the blurry line between a Dzire & Dzire Tour or a Etios).
Rather than create a new 'dealership' experience (read Nexa) and setup new dealers etc. - separate cars for separate categories should work well.

Now all that needs to be seen is how they tackle 'service'.
IMO, Separating showrooms might have been easier. Transfer all existing old gen models to their commercial vehicle outlets. Create a better buying experience for private buyers in their Concorde showrooms.

Ditto for service, split the service centers 60:40 or even 70:30 (commercial: private). Don't let private owners rub shoulder with cabbies.

Wishing TML ATB, hope this succeeds!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 18:27   #275
Senior - BHPian

I was reading somewhere that the platform, albeit extensively modified and stiffened, is carried over from X0, that is the good ole' Indica V2. Also other important bits like the firewall and pedal points are shared.
I am sure TML would have revisited the oddball steering positioning of the V2 to make it more comfortable. Also the accelerator pedal in the v2 was a bit on the higher side, which sometimes made your right ankle grumble in repeated stop-go traffic situations - am sure these have been looked into.
Just my two cents!
Old 25th November 2015, 18:09   #276
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Quote:

So codename Falcon 4 & 5 - became Bolt & Zest. Kite 4 & 5 became Zica & Sway. Pelican ... let's see when that comes.
Pardon my ignorance but what's Pelican supposed to be? Mule name for Nexon?
Old 25th November 2015, 18:23   #277
BHPian

Re: Spotted a camouflaged car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Can anyone verify what car this is? I was suspecting it to be the Suzuki YBA but it looked small. Spotted it near Sankey Road. Mods please move to an appropriate thread if already spotted, thanks
Thanks for the pictures. Is it me or is there anyone else who thinks the same? I feel the Zica with all the camouflage looks eerily similar to the new Ford Figo.

The rear, sloping rear window line, the overall shape and size? For a second though I was convinced that this was the camouflaged Figo

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2015 at 18:56. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 28th November 2015, 10:43   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Zica, fully unmasked.

Looks quite impressive from all angles. A distinct Hyundai-ish stance. Hard to believe it's come out from the Tata design stable.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th November 2015 at 10:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 11:09   #279
BHPian

First impressions are just Wow! Great start to have a good looking, well finished product! Good luck Tata!
Old 28th November 2015, 11:10   #280
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the teaser image brought a smile to my face because it looked pretty good, and the final design does not disappoint. A very humble, yet attractive design that will be appealing across age brackets. Absolutely love it; though that character line on the side reminds me of the Brio and that rear end looks very similar to the new Figo.

Looks like Tata has learnt from the Nano and will give the Zica some premium placement. Apart from having Messi as the brand ambassador, there's tasteful chrome usage, wing mirror integrated blinkers, grab-type door handles and I even see parking sensors. So far so good Tata .
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 11:11   #281
BHPian

Now that is an amazing start to the day!
Thank you!
Made my day.

From what I can make out this is the top end.
Interesting things.

Chrome lining on the headlamp
Chrome lined foglamps
Chrome door handles (inside)
Reverse parking sensors. (4). No camera.
Rear defrosted.
Rear Wiper.
Speakers in the back doors as well. (4 speakers and 2 tweeters expected with HK system)
Front fixed headrests.
Rear also has headrests.
Big parcel shelf with good lip
Some stylish black bits on the rear spoiler to make it look sporty?
Front nose is aggressive and nice stance.
Alloys are new design. Ok. Plain. But decent.
Blinkers integrated with ORVM

New paint colour too?

Shut lines look nice. The bonnet lip especially. Fit and finish do look good.

Lot of parts seem shared with Zest and Bolt. Which is a good thing. Because it will be easier to get, and is tried and tested for a year already.
Space seems good. Like with every Tata car.
Looks bigger than i10 and Celerio to me!

If this top end petrol is anywhere around (OTR maybe a little north) 5L. It's coming home.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 11:22   #282
Senior - BHPian

This has to be the best looking Tata hatchback! It looks impressive and can definitely hold on its own as far as the looks are concerned.

Let's hope it has also got the right mechanical package to go with those looks. If it comes with the rumoured >80bhp engine, then it will become the best looking and most powerful car in its segment.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:29   #283
BHPian

Looks refreshing and nothing like we have seen from Tata!! However, several components have been lifted from Zest / Bolt which should keep price in check. Antenna at front will be an eyesore. Looking at rear door from inside it appears as though there will be a bottle holder. This glaring omission on Zest is way too frustrating. Overall this looks considerably smaller than Indica / Bolt, so not sure how customers will take to a Tata car that does not score high on space.

I just hope Tata has done enough to reduce weight to justify the Zippy part and prices it sanely. Please offer some attractive launch prices. You aren't making much profit anyways.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:36   #284
Senior - BHPian

Lovely design. Hats off to Tata ! Hope the quality of parts also have similar improvement. Maruti needs to learn how to design their small cars from this team.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:43   #285
BHPian

I seriously think Tata should also open premium outlets like Nexa and maybe come with a "Brand Name" for there new gen products. This will help a lot in getting the stigma attached with Tata name out, and you don't have to jostle with Indicabs for service space, and work on improving service quality.

But the car looks great, especially the orange shade in teasers look great, though it resembles a bit like i10 to me. Good thing is, looks like they have finally moved out of the Indica silhoutte which is good - waiting for engine specs and hopefully they have an automatic variant too, for urban chores.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed