Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 13:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Mod Note: Our Zica Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Link to News Section

Tata Motors is working on a hatchback that will sit between the Nano and the Indica in terms of price and positioning. The new hatchback project, dubbed the X0 or Dolphin, has been sketched by Team-BHP's rendering artist AntlerRoad, who has also been in touch with sources close to this project.

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-tata-dolphin-x0.jpg

Note: The sketch is speculative in nature and has been reconstructed from actual design sketches of the car under development.

Here are a few details emerging from AntlerRoad's interactions,
  • The X0/Dolphin hatchback will be based on the Vista platform.
  • The X0 will be a part of Tata Motors's HORIZONEXT strategy that involves turning around the passenger car business.
  • The car's looks will be inspired by Tata Motors's new design philosophy for its passenger car line.
  • The car will use the improvements that Tata Motors is currently incorporating on the Vista facelift, which is due for 2014.
  • The X0 hatchback will come with a tall boy design and will be aimed at city car buyers.
  • Competition for the X0 is expected to come from the Maruti Alto 800, the Hyundai Eon and the upcoming Datsun Go hatchbacks.
  • Production of the X0 is expected to happen in Tata Motors's Sanand factory at Gujarat.
  • The Nano's slow sales have meant that the production of the X0 at Sanand will help Tata Motors utilize the factory better.
  • Engine options for the X0 could include petrol and diesel motors.
  • A 3 cylinder petrol engine is likely for the X0. Details about the turbo diesel motor remain unknown for now.
  • The launch timeframe for the X0 remains unavailable at this moment.
  • Tata Motors could base the X0 on the Advanced Modular Platform (AMP).

Click here to read more about Tata Motors's Advanced Modular Platform

Tata Motors is in urgent need of new products as the car maker is faced with a line up that looks and feels dated compared to what the competition has to offer. 2015 is the year from which Tata Motors will begin rolling out all-new products such as the X0. Until then, the car maker plans to focus on refreshing the existing line up and tightening quality and production processes.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 17:01. Reason: Linking to review
JayPrashanth is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 13:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP sketches the Tata X0/Dolphin hatchback

No matter that the sketches look like, the car rolling out of the production line will be as round as this:

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-p1030357.jpg

But then, I hope Tata can surprise us.
parrys is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 13:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks promising.

The looks are a breakaway from the current styling and leaning more towards a aggressive, tight-skinned look.
Hope they get the "wheels-to-wheelarch clearance" gap closed this time; which is always a sore point with Tata vehicles.

Rumour has it that Tata is also at an advanced stage of design of a completely new three cylinder 1-liter common rail turbo diesel which will be used in their forthcoming range of small vehicles.
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Now this one looks interesting in terms of design and also in terms of the name(not another Indi-xxx)

One doubt : Engine bay looks very compact or is it just the rendering !! I dont think this will be rear engine car though

It will be surely spacious if they engineer it like Honda for machine minimum man maximum. And i can already see a MUV coming out of this design sooner or later
Old 30th August 2013, 14:09   #5
BHPian

Looks like Tata's going the Honda Jazz way design-wise. Looks promising if they stick to this shape for the production version. A concept based on this at the Auto Expo will be a delight!
Old 30th August 2013, 15:01   #6
BHPian

The concept looks good with nice tight creases and flowing lines. A mature chevrolet beat if i may call it that.

Tata have to realise that they have to be bold with their new cars in terms of design, tech offered, quality of components used and ASS. Their horizonext and quality control initiatives from the ground up do sound promising.

Give it a good quality interior with tight panel gaps, soft touch plastics, tasteful colour palettes. Having owned a vista earlier, this is where i felt a huge difference between tata and comparable cars of other manufacturers.
Old 30th August 2013, 15:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
No matter that the sketches look like, the car rolling out of the production line will be as round as this:

But then, I hope Tata can surprise us.
Wouldn't mind if it did look exactly like that. That was one of the better concepts based on the Vista. Anyway, I really don't care what they look like as long as they are reliable and niggle free. Reading the TG review of the new eCS, the interior plastic quality has become worse! How is that even possible?
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the render. The render looks like it is part chevy spark and the rear looks like the new focus st. If this looks like another Indica i dont think anyone would be surprised anyway. Hope they bring in 1.6L diesels now and not the same national engine since it is getting boring seeing the same thing in most cars.
Imo they should focus improving their service and quality rather than launching new cars.

@ Parrys

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 30th August 2013 at 15:53. Reason: typo.
Old 30th August 2013, 15:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Wouldn't mind if it did look exactly like that.
Agreed

But, if you call it a new age car, give us a new design. Not something out of the round Tata history.
That round is making its way to the number of cars being sold too, and fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
How is that even possible?
Why not? Its Tata. A facelift is anything that is different from what is being sold. Good or bad doesn't count.

I am still waiting for the Tata Prima or anything of that sort to come out of the production line.

The engineering marvel - Nano; if sold by Maruti, would have dethroned the Alto from the top selling spot.

Last edited by parrys : 30th August 2013 at 16:07.
parrys is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 15:59   #10
BHPian

Looks good indeed. The design seems to be a mix of the Beat with the erstwhile Jazz.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:22   #11
BHPian

Nice render. Design looks like a mix of Jazz & Beat.

IMO the curves & style should not be overdone in production version. Nonetheless looks promising.

They should quickly have such design language extended to Vista/Manza & Nano as well.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:40   #12
BHPian

The design language seems to be in line with Tata Aria IMO. Also has a bit of Beat in it.
It would be interesting to see their entire portfolio getting this - Nano to Indigo to Manza.

I don't know how they missed on this with new Safari Storme which came much after Aria.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2013 at 13:07. Reason: Please upload pictures ONLY via the attachment system.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

That is a neat sketch AntlerRoad, well done! I like this new design language. Not bad for a Tata small car. I just wish they do not tone it down. They went conservative with the Vista and look where it got them.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:55   #14
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2013 at 13:09.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2013, 18:09   #15
BHPian

Am I the only one who thinks that this is the Megapixel concept coming to life? Which is a good thing, I for one am glad that finally more Tata concepts are reaching production! I've included the link to a render of the car below.

http://www.tatamegapixel.com/design-images.asp
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed