Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:03   #46
BHPian

Re: Proposal to shut Fuel stations at Night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Using food as fuel doesn't make any sense at all.
Absolutely. The US experiment of using corn to produce oil instead of edible food has been disastrous. Its effect will be more pronounced in the coming years. The way ahead should be more efficient cars and reliable public transport.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:03   #47

Its hard to see that such a important person in the ministry does not realise that more than 90% of trade and transport of good in india takes place by TRUCKS.. trucks which run majorly during the night hours to make long distances. Such stupid moves can also cause a hike in pricing of common goods and delay in fresh product reaching the cities on time.

Why cant they ban helicopter travel for all ministers?? I doubt they have walked on the road for a minute since they got to the post. Bothering the common man with such antics is like a trend with this government! hats off for being stupider than imaginable!
Cheers!
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:15   #48
BHPian

The Oily Ministry thinks restricting the hours at petrol pumps will reduce consumption. People who want to fill up will fill up anyway. Most likely they will purchase more at one go to avoid multiple trips. And vehicles will be queued up for longer periods wasting people's time, fuel and money.

While we are at it why don't we just replace all the gas guzzlers given to our ministers, netas with Nanos?
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

If the highway is exempted, at least in Bangalore how difficult is it to travel a few kms on the highway and refuel. In whichever it is seen, it will end up wasting more fuel than actually saving it.

This government is doing its best to make a fool out of itself.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
Dear fellow bhpians, please do not throw things at me. I am just playing the devil's advocate here. Why are we getting worked up over this proposal? For the most part, we do not drive cross country at night. Fuel is never an emergency for most of us. We have pretty decent working vehicles with decent working fuel indicators that tell us when we are running low. I am pretty sure, none of us waits for the car to run on fumes before we tank up. So, does this proposal concern most of us ?
Even the government is not daft to put a blanket ban on all fuel bunks at night. The large ones on highways will remain for the sake of trucking operations. This will take care of the odd night intercity trip.
You were right, Most of us wont allow our cars/bikes to run out of fuel and we do fill up before it goes anywhere near to empty. But thats what we are asking back to the Hon'able Minister,
Saab, this is the reality and how this out of the world suggestion/proposal of your's will reduce the consumptions? Instead it will bring chaos for emergency travels at night.

I wonder the Minister may not be in his full presence of mind before proposing this, but how come the educated people around him allow him to utter this worthless suggestion.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:45   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Statement from Mr. Moily: "This idea was not from me, it is from public and others"

And now latest news: PMO has rejected this proposal saying that it sends bad signals
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

I didnt mistake anything I guess

From IOCL Page...

http://www.iocl.com/Products/AviationTurbineFuel.aspx

Jet fuel is a colorless, combustible, straight-run petroleum distillate liquid. Its principal uses are as jet engine fuel. The most common jet fuel worldwide is a kerosene-based fuel classified as JET A-1.The governing specifications in India are IS 1571: 2001 (7th Rev).

IndianOil is the only oil company in India to market the widest possible range of fuels used by the aviation industry in India- JP-5, Avgas 100LL, Methanol Water Mixture, Jet A-1 and aviation lubricants, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kero...e=&safe=strict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

These days I have started doubting the eligibility (or lack of it) of our ministers. Our so called PM who himself is an Economist is not able to control the degradation of the economy. Every day this Govt is coming up with stupid ideas to curb inflation, control Rs's fall etc. The GDP is badly hit because of these idiots. The Food security bill itself is an insult to injury after 66 years of independence.

Finally another feather in the cap in form of the 8-8 idea from our minister. I hope somebody in the govt is sane enough to make some sense when he/she opens mouth.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:04   #54
BHPian

The Government first needs to control its own fuel and electricity consumption. Endless number of cars running around the entire city uselessly. Often see drivers of Government cars sleeping during the day with AC on. Even if the officials are travelling or not, the Engines keep running the entire day for comfort of the driver and mind you these are cars are not at all fuel efficient. Cars like ambassadors (petrol) and SX4 (petrol).

As an Austerity measure, why doesn't they reduce the consumption.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:05   #55
BHPian

8 to 8 implementation from 16th of this month?
Attached Thumbnails
Proposal to shut Fuel stations at Night!-8to8.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2013, 12:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
8 to 8 implementation from 16th of this month?
Not likely, as the below source gives a relief

Prime Minister's Office rejects 8 pm closing time for petrol pumps: sources

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/pr...-lateststories
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

if the falling value of the rupee is the issue, then why not better the roads, and implement better traffic management systems in place. I'm sure that will decrease our fuel consumption. On top of that, concessions on electric and hybrid cars should work since many families buy a small car for city travel (range of the average electric/hybrid provides will be more than sufficient) but they don't have enough choice or value options out there.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

^^ Wholeheartedly agree with you. What happened to giving tax benefits to Electric Car companies like Reva and some others like Hero (2 wheelers). I don't mind using a Reva if I am getting it at 3-4 lakhs. I cannot afford to pay 8 lakhs for an electric car and also ensure that I do the wiring for it!
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:18   #59
BHPian

hello all ,
I shudder to think of the precarious situation that many would face when they are stuck on lonely roads at night with the fuel running low .I think all of us are aware of the volatile situations in many parts of the country and in case as a outsider you are stuck at night ,it would really be a worrisome affair.
Why is the common man always at the receiving end and at the whims and fancies of those who have been appointed by the common man to administer this country in a better manner ?
It is actually so true that those in power have no real experience of the ground reality which is ever changing.
If we ever do a census of the number of government hired/owned vehicles in ever government office/directorate the number would indeed be a mind-boggling one , i for one cannot even place a number to it .
regards
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:19   #60
BHPian

Here's another idea: Why not ban petrol pumps altogether? That way, you will be bringing down oil imports, ensuring zero congestion on roads and reducing air pollution.

Of course, nobody will be able to get anywhere but that's a matter for another ministry, no?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks