Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2013, 13:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet issues recall for 1.3L SMARTEC diesel Sail U-VA & sedan

General Motors has suspended the production and sale of the Chevrolet Tavera BS-III and the Sail sedan and UVA diesel variant.

Quote:
General Motors has identified a potential emissions performance issue with the Tavera BS-III and a quality issue with the Chevrolet Sail sedan and Sail UVA diesel. But the company clearly states that ‘neither issue is safety-related’. The directives from the company to the pan-India dealerships are to temporarily stop selling these cars with immediate effect.
However, General Motors says that the Tavera BS-IV and Sail sedan and Sail UVA petrol models remain unaffected by this problem

http://www.autox.in/general-motors-tavera-sail/

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th June 2013 at 13:49.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 14:14   #2
BHPian

Re: General Motors India suspends production and sale of Tavera and Sail diesel varia

I guess its the same diesel engine in Sail sedan and Enjoy. How can't there be emissions issues with the Enjoy then?
Old 9th June 2013, 14:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: General Motors India suspends production and sale of Tavera and Sail diesel varia

I guess it is because the standard is different for 5 seaters and 7+ seaters.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 15:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
General Motors has suspended the production and sale of the Chevrolet Tavera BS-III and the Sail sedan and UVA diesel variant.
There were reports of Engine problem in diesel variant of Sail UVA, initially assumed due to the turbocharger but later found due to engine itself. Even during the TD last month I realised engine felt stressed in each gear when revved and speed was kind of restricted in 4th and 5th gear, this feedback was not from my experience one but also revealed by other confident sources. The engine issue looks to be a QC problem and related to manufacturing.
Old 9th June 2013, 15:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly, this from an Engine they co-developed with Fiat, the national engine of India, being used in almost 23-24 cars, the Fiat 1.3mjd! It's time they pulled up their socks and developed their products with a little more precaution. Didn't they come across such stuff during trial runs?
Old 9th June 2013, 15:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There were reports of Engine problem in diesel variant of Sail UVA, initially assumed due to the turbocharger but later found due to engine itself. Even during the TD last month I realised engine felt stressed in each gear when revved and speed was kind of restricted in 4th and 5th gear, this feedback was not from my experience one but also revealed by other confident sources. The engine issue looks to be a QC problem and related to manufacturing.
Are you sure about this?

I test drove the Sail UVA Diesel a couple of times.
It felt quite good and in fact in one of my test drives I had driven it immediately after the Amaze Diesel and I found the Sail better.

Can you please point to the reports you mentioned about.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 13:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Are you sure about this?

I test drove the Sail UVA Diesel a couple of times.
It felt quite good and in fact in one of my test drives I had driven it immediately after the Amaze Diesel and I found the Sail better.

Can you please point to the reports you mentioned about.
I fully agree to you, I too have driven Sail Hatch and found it quite good in terms of road manners and pulling.

I was not happy with the resale value of my Indica offered by them and decided not to take the purchase decision.

Anyways, if there are any issues with the car, they should better address them. Also keeping fingers crossed for similar reports for Amaze Diesel (Honda better not else MSIL will use this as opportunity to make it part of their adv. strategy)
I am now waiting for the Diwali discounts, quite hopeful of getting good offers on car this season.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 10th June 2013 at 14:00.
Old 10th June 2013, 14:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

re: General Motors temporarily suspends production and sale of the Tavera & Sail diesels

This is certainly bad news and bad press if news about engine trouble spreads. We Indians are already baised towards a Chinese product and if there is additional issue with the motor then no amount of damage control would make good.

This is at a time when these cars were just about taking off the shelves with some strong demand for the competent and well rounded sedan. GM should pull out all plugs to make any ammends and bring it back to showrooms asap as though it has been business as usual all this while else they will loose and that too very badly.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:54   #9
BHPian

Rumour: GM stops sales of Sail, UVA (Diesel models) and Tavera (BSIII models)

Quote:
GM has announced a stop to sales of Sail, UVA and Tavera models, according to some dealers after GM suspects issues with the 1.3 Diesel engine which power the Sail and UVA twins.

Also, sales of the BSIII models of Tavera have also been stopped.

They may also announce a recall of Sail and UVA diesel cars.
Source: News Link

This is a welcome move, as this shows that India based car manufacturers are taking quality seriously and not merely washing their hands of the car, once sold.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 19:08   #10
BHPian

Re: Rumour: GM stops sales of Sail, UVA (Diesel models) and Tavera (BSIII models)

Quality issue with the 1.3 diesel engine , that looks like a batch of defective parts rather than a design problem. But what exactly, they haven't clarified. Wonder if it's to with the turbo which GM claims is their own and different from the Fiat MJD turbos. No reason for 1.3 MJD owners to be worried, I think. Also this engine is manufactured by GM itself, not supplied by Fiat, isn't it ?
Old 12th June 2013, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Re: Rumour: GM stops sales of Sail, UVA (Diesel models) and Tavera (BSIII models)

After watching a lot of Crime Patrol lately where the police vehicle is a spanking new White Tavera and having sat in one earlier; the vehicle seems to be growing on me.. Pity that there is absolutely zilch Safety gear on this one.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:25   #12
BHPian

GM stops production of Tavera and two diesel variants of Sail

So, it seems like GM is stopping the production of Tavera and two diesel variants of Sail (The recently launched notchback and hatchback versions) due to emmision issues. The petrol variants of the same is seemingly unaffected.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20542811.cms
Old 12th June 2013, 13:04   #13
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2013 at 13:06.
greatmana2000 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2013, 19:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

re: General Motors temporarily suspends production and sale of the Tavera & Sail diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
This is a welcome move, as this shows that India based car manufacturers are taking quality seriously and not merely washing their hands of the car, once sold.
I would reserve that comment till they announce recall for the cars that are already sold. They have not committed to recall yet, which means they are not yet sure of the resolution and the cost involved. If the cost to fix it in already sold cars is high, it would be interesting to see if they would go ahead with a recall.

If they identified a flaw in these models that is serious enough to lead to a stoppage of production, then the customers who already bought these models deserve the resolution irrespective of the cost involved. Lets see how this shapes up.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:33   #15
BHPian

Spotted!

Chevrolet (Re)testing the SAIL sedan on the Mumbai Pune expressway. I could not take a picture because it was travelling at quite decent speed and it was raining heavily. Seems chevy need some more time and testing to identify the problem.

Also, we all spotted the SAIL twins upteen number of times across 4-5 months. How did such a fault not come up during such rigorous testing?
Mr.Beat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed