Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2023, 07:34   #136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

@pkumarblore:

USA is mostly a petrol market. Hence not likely to find a DPF/ Diesel Cat Con.

Best to try UK and Euro sources for the Diesel Cat con. Here are a couple more websites that I had researched, you could try these.

https://www.cats2u.co.uk/bmw/30336-b...r-bm6037t.html

https://m.buycarparts.co.uk/catalyti...-reihe/m-bosal

https://www.krosfou.co.uk/catalyst-bmw-1-series-1839

In my opinion, best look for and get a re conditioned one or a substitute piece from a scrap car or similar.
These 118d’s weren’t a hot seller in India but they did very nicely in Continental Europe and the UK. Those werr more ‘Diesel’ oriented markets.
Old 16th May 2023, 11:38   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
How about getting a remap and deleting the catcon?
Thanks for your feedback. Remap is not an option now and I am not to keen on it. I believe in never tampering with stock condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If going catless is not an option for you, you could consider getting a high flow sport cat.

A quick google search threw up this: https://rm-motors.de/RM-Motors-Downp...uro-3-635mm-25

EDIT: the pictures of the orange 1-Series don’t look like they were taken in India. I think I see a Mazda casually parked in the background, and you don’t often see that car in India, if at all. And also, the 1 did not come with those wheels. Could be wrong, though!
Thanks for your feedback. The high flow sport cat looks like an option. I have to check with my FNG if this is feasable. The issue is, will it pass emission test.

The pictures were taken from the used car dealer in Delhi, who is mostly into high end cars also including sports cars. And yes, the alloys on my 118d are aftermarket 18 inch alloys. They look cool..dont they.
Old 16th May 2023, 11:51   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Remap is not an option now and I am not to keen on it. I believe in never tampering with stock condition.

Thanks for your feedback. The high flow sport cat looks like an option. I have to check with my FNG if this is feasable. The issue is, will it pass emission test
It is a shame that you do not want to explore this, as this engine as plenty of potential waiting to be unlocked. But at the end of the day, it is your car! You must do what makes you happy!

Cars in India are known to pass emissions without cats, so a sport-cat with 100 cpsi should not be a problem at all. I have a valid PU even though I am running a catless setup.

A less-restrictive cat will help the turbo perform better and run cooler. The turbine will spin freely without restrictions and it would prolong the life of the turbo and by extension other components around it. A tune to complement the lower restriction will help get the best out of the engine in terms of performance and efficiency as well.

Having said this, new regulations may disrupt the status-quo and it could happen any time.

Quote:
The pictures were taken from the used car dealer in Delhi, who is mostly into high end cars also including sports cars. And yes, the alloys on my 118d are aftermarket 18 inch alloys. They look cool..dont they.
Thank you for clarifying this!

That Mazda (RX8?) is extremely rare, with only a handful around in the country, and the other cars around (E Class coupe?) seemed to suggest that the photos were not taken in India. However, I stand corrected!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 16:05   #139
BHPian

I Picked up a 118d, 2014 Model Sportline from Chandigarh, about 33k Kms Genuine run (was maintained at Krishna BMW, Punjab) in October 2021, Got all Liquids Changed, brake Pads updated, Tyres Changed from Navnit Airport Road- Total around 85K, Got a KA Registration and last week did a 1000Km Road trip and the Car Drove like a Charm, Buttersmooth!

Now I am looking for a 2016+ 118 Sport Line / Sport Plus. Any Leads would be appreciated..
Sunilrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 17:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmGu View Post
Among the things that i first got done on my car was adding apple carplay, replacing front speakers and getting a reversing camera fitted. For me, that sorted out any immediate shortcoming for my daily use.

The plans for the future include a ECU remap and suspension overhaul - perhaps a year down the line.
So almost 18 months later, i have got the ECU upgrade done, replaced the tyres (no more RFTs) and front shock absorbers. The car's acceleration has changed from very good to awesome! This car remains a joy to drive.
AmGu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 13:29   #141
BHPian

Hi All,
Just wanted to update the thread. Got my 118d back in May after a complete overhaul of the engine from Aeon Motors. I must say the car is completely transformed now. It is smooth and very responsive to throttle inputs. The car literally sprints and the sports mode is super addictive. Never drove it this way before handing it over to Anirudh-Aeon Motors. A very professional job by Anirudh and I thank @shankar.balan for introducing me to Anirudh. I'll keep it for another thread on the detailed work carried out on the engine.

The RFT's need to be changed immediately. Still confused between RFT's and tubeless. These RFT's have also become very expensive now due to the import constraints. I found Apollo Aspire 4G regular tubeless in the 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 sizes. 2 of each could set me back by 54k, compared to 90k for Bridgestone Potenza RFT's, though I am not sure about the performance of Apollo on high speeds. Highly appreciated if any member can share his/her experience with Apollo tyres.

Look forward to doing some short weekend trips once I change the tyres.

Thanks for all your help/inputs here.
Old 14th August 2023, 19:50   #142
BANNED

Quote:
I found Apollo Aspire 4G regular tubeless in the 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 sizes. 2 of each could set me back by 54k, compared to 90k for Bridgestone Potenza RFT's, though I am not sure about the performance of Apollo on high speeds. Highly appreciated if any member can share his/her experience with Apollo tyres.

Look forward to doing some short weekend trips once I change the tyres.

Thanks for all your help/inputs here.
Incidentally BMW India is supplying all its cars with normal tubeless. I think they figured that RFTs just dont work in India.
Ref the tyres- would you drive across to Madhu’s and ask about Vredesteins? They are bound to be more suited to your car. And Vredesteins are being made by Apollo only.
Good luck’
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 20:25   #143
BHPian

Hi All,
Giving a short update here. After looking for tyres(both RFT's and regular tubeless) for almost a month at various sources, finally found Bridgestone RFT's at Millivisions (near Lalbagh Main Gate). They just had 2 sets(225/40/18 and 255/35/18 94Y). Without thinking much, I bought them and had them fitted at their set up. As part of negotiation, the fitment, balancing and alignment was included in the tyre cost. Totally, it costed me 90k including GST.

Now, did I make the right decision by sticking to RFT's despite many posts on shifting to tubeless and few people advising me personally too.

I 100% believe, I made the right decision to stick to the RFT's for the following reasons:-

- I dint want to compromise on the high speed characteristics of the 118d. I am ok with the stiff ride but I want the DNA of the car to stay intact. I read in one post by a fellow Tbhp member that after shifting to tubeless, the driving characteristics of the car had changed and he was no more enjoying it. He was repenting his decision. This was it for me. I bought this 118d to drive hard(of course within safe and legal limits) and dint want any compromises due to shift to tubeless tyres. So, this has stayed as it is.
Plus I don't need a donut tyre now.

- On the cost front, 4 regular tubeless plus a donut tyre would have costed me 90k too. And with the current sizes, I was not getting same brand tubeless for front and rear. So this made my decision even more simpler. Madhu's gave an offer of 72k for 2 sets Pirelli P Zero's.

I did about 250kms on the highway yesterday and loved every bit of it. The drive has definitely become a lot smoother, the harshness and tyre noise have reduced considerably, and most importantly my confidence has increased. I think the new age RFT's have improved w.r.t to stiffness and tyre noise. I was lucky to get late 2022 manufactured tyres(Made in Holland).

Shall try to post more details after doing about 5000 kms.

Thanks all and happy motoring.
Old 27th August 2023, 05:47   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Hi All,
Giving a short update here. After looking for tyres(both RFT's and regular tubeless) for almost a month at various sources, finally found Bridgestone RFT's at Millivisions (near Lalbagh Main Gate). They just had 2 sets(225/40/18 and 255/35/18 94Y). Without thinking much, I bought them and had them

Thanks all and happy motoring.
It is good you found these tyres in MilliVisions. They are also an old established and reputed player in the Tyre market. Govind is a helpful person too.

As an aside I got my front brake pads changed so I had met Aniruddh and his team on Friday and they told me you were happy with the car and managed to get the catalytic converter exhaust emission valves etc changed.

I am happy you’re keeping that car. Its a rare bird.
Must meet up with you one day along with my Mini and your 118d.
Old 27th August 2023, 20:06   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is good you found these tyres in MilliVisions. Govind is a helpful person too.

As an aside I got my front brake pads changed so I had met Aniruddh and his team on Friday and they told me you were happy with the car and managed to get the catalytic converter exhaust emission valves etc changed.

I am happy you’re keeping that car. Its a rare bird.
Must meet up with you one day along with my Mini and your 118d.
Hi,
I had spoken to Govind about 2 months back and he said these tyres were arriving in a few days from customs clearance. I was keen to buy them, but got super busy with work & could not focus much on the car till beginning of August. In fact Govind almost convinced me to stick to RFT's. Last wednesday I just drove up to Madhu's and Millivision and was relieved to know that Govind still had those Potenza RFT's. It was an immediate decision for me to just buy them and start enjoying the car.

Anirudh and his team really worked hard on my car. A big thanks to you and Aeon Motors. The catcon issue was turning out to be a bit of a headache even after replacement. Luckily it was just the sensors. No faults now after replacements.

We'll surely meet up some day, maybe for a short drive.

Thanks.
Old 28th September 2023, 14:20   #146

Re: Bought a used 2014 BMW 118d - Need Service advise in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Kumar this is a wonderful car. It's a rare bird! Congratulations!
=====
Let me know if you want to consider the FNG and if you want any help with the car.
Thanks!
Sir, can you please share a reliable FNG details for regular jobs my BMW X3?
Old 28th September 2023, 16:14   #147
BANNED

Re: Bought a used 2014 BMW 118d - Need Service advise in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger8 View Post
Sir, can you please share a reliable FNG details for regular jobs my BMW X3?
Call and speak to Aniruddh.
Aeon Motor works. Veerasandra Industrial Estate, Electronic City.
I ve been going there for 3 years or so for my Cooper and am completely satisfied with their knowledge and work.
99457- 18181
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 17:07   #148
BHPian

Hello All,
Need a help from the community. Is there anyway I can get the users manual of a 2014 118d. I couldn't find it online. I am not sure if I can buy the official one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th February 2024, 14:28   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Need a help from the community. Is there anyway I can get the users manual of a 2014 118d. I couldn't find it online. I am not sure if I can buy the official one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
I downloaded the BMW app from the app store and could access the manual from there.
AmGu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks