Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 18:04   #76
BHPian

Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_stone View Post
Actually Volvo India has conveniently removed all advanced features of the v40 in India under the lame pretext of "not applicable to Indian Scene" including adaptive cruise control, lane assist, blind spot warning, navigation, cross traffic alert (very useful during reversing)! The only 1st in segment features are active cornering bi-xenons, laser assisted city braking, led Console, LED lighting package. What is sad is that the driver console display changed (eg) from comfort to sport DOES NOT changing the transmission kinetics or suspension settings or steering response compared to the competition. With time wouldn't one get bored with some fancy display (just like we do with our mobiles?) without some change in driving dynamics added to the fancy graphics! Is city safety braking actually that relevant to India, may I ask, when actually an Indian driver is the least likely to be distracted on the road or be cruising unsuspectedly at high speeds not expecting someone to emerge from a side lane? So should one pay 29 lacs for the looks + xenons + LED package + lousy service network? I'm not so sure!
I would like to comment in here. Yes, the City safety helps a lot, and this is from the experience. I own an S60 and the brake assist has saved me not less than 4 times from rear ending the people who seem to think they own the roads. So yes, if I were to buy a small "premium" hatchback, it would definitely be a Volvo V40!
kau_therock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 13:02   #77
BHPian

Re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The base model is really base. 23lakhs ex showroom and you get cloth upholstery, no xenons, no climate control, no iDrive, no sunroof, no bluetooth, no USB and some other small stuff missing.
But you still do have a RWD BMW Turbo Engine with TCS, ESP, Hill hold and AT !!
Old 9th September 2013, 22:22   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Nobody is justifying anything, just as nobody is asking you to think the car is value for money. It's simply an observation at why everything that has any imported content is going to cost more going forward. Get used to the thought, because the trend is not likely to reverse in the immediate future.

As for overpriced, every single car on sale in India is overpriced. It's all relative to what you expect / compare as a baseline.
Thanks for guarding my stand. 30s is the new 20. Its for us now to get used to it. Unfourtunately.

Was there at the dealership this Saturday with my X3. Was really coaxed by the sales guy to take a test drive. I must admit, it is a nifty little machine. From a small family pov, it doesn't feel cramped either.

Is it just me or someone else who has test driven feels the same. Made the X3 feel sluggish and me feel younger.

Nevertheless, how hard I tried, couldn't get the tail to sway.
Old 9th September 2013, 23:02   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post

going forwards, the prices are only going to head up.
And the Zen master said, "we will see".

BTW, I agree that all cars are overpriced.
Old 9th September 2013, 23:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Made the X3 feel sluggish and me feel younger.

Nevertheless, how hard I tried, couldn't get the tail to sway.
Yeah, I'm not surprised a 1 would feel livelier than an X3. To be honest, I can't stand most SUVs, but I do see the sense of them over here with our lovely 'roads'!

Did you turn DSC off? Can it be fully turned off or only half way? Did you drive the diesel or the petrol? I'd imagine on a wet road with DSC turned off (if it can be fully disengaged) in the diesel it would be fairly easy to hang the tail out!
Old 9th September 2013, 23:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Just spotted a Red 1 series. Looks nice on road. It felt longish when parked at a signal besides my i20. How's the rear leg room? Has anybody sat in one? The one I saw was a 118d variant I think. Loved the alloys on it.

Regards,
Old 9th September 2013, 23:23   #82
BHPian

Slightly OT but can we expect a review of the 1 Series??
Old 10th September 2013, 01:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Saw the car at a BMW dealer today and i really liked the exterior. In pictures it doesnt look nice, in fact it looks a bit awkward. You still cannot compare the looks to the A Class which is possibly the best looking car (IMHO) to have been produced in the last 15 years !
While i disagree with people commenting about how one should get a Passat for the the price of the 1 series, i do feel the 21L Base variant is terrible in terms of Interiors. Im ok if you dont offer too many features but i am not ok if you take out features and leave holes in the cabin that clearly indicate missing equipment. Makes me feel sad and irritated

I dont see it selling in great numbers, at least not the base variant. The higher end variants may find some lifestyle buyers but thats where it may end.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:04   #84
BHPian

I have driven both A Class & B class from the Tristar but I didnt thought the ride quality was that bad. Have not driven 1 Series till now, but had visited it in the showroom, but am sure with the RWD it would be much better.

Apart from this IMO, BMW may have nailed the formula of bringing in good numbers in the Indian Market, but has somewhat brought down the quality of the products which they are using in the base models, so much so that even few of the ones cant be even compared to a sub 10 lac car.

On the other hand, whatever models Merc is bringing in, they are maintaining their quality to the best of one available, even as stated clearly in the official review of bringing in the Imposing star on the front grill to give an upmarket feel to the car.
Old 13th September 2013, 12:29   #85

I had the opportunity to drive the 1-series, A class and the Mini Cooper S last weekend(a couple of days well spent I say!!!) and I know a lot of people will kill me on this forum but on comparing the drive of the beemer and the tristar, I really liked the drive on the A-class better, more so considering the difference in bhp between the two. The difference further gets accentuated that I drove the 1 on the Delhi Gurgaon expressway while I was forced to drive to A on the winding Gurgaon Faridabad road. I just seemed to have more confidence while pushing the A into a corner and there was hardly any lag once I floored it. The 1 series somehow had a lag before the power kicked in and this was really unnerving when you're trying to do a combo overtake on the highway. The sales guy just blamed it on the demo car but I think this is something other bhpians can comment on.

Another big plus for the A is the front seats. They just engulf you and give a great feel while pushing the car, even though they are fabric instead of leather in the 1. But the big big negative is the lack of features on the A, I mean for a 25+ lakh car they have no parking sensors, sunroof(on diesel version, petrol get a panoramic one, I think it was to get the diesel cheaper than the petrol) or climate control.

I also drove the Mini Cooper S and it was amazing. The car is a driver's dream with its proportion and pulling power. However, the big negative is the price and the lack of features for that price(everything is an option, great for customization but bad for economy) and considering my ever diminishing budget, even the bare shell would be a stretch.

Mod Note: Post edited. Team-BHP supports safe driving practices and any reference to high speeds, street racing or dangerous driving of any kind will be deleted.

Last edited by noopster : 13th September 2013 at 16:54. Reason: Refer moderator note in post
Chewbecca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 13:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
I just seemed to have more confidence while pushing the A into a corner and there was hardly any lag once I floored it. The 1 series somehow had a lag before the power kicked in and this was really unnerving when you're trying to do a combo overtake on the highway. The sales guy just blamed it on the demo car
For the A just maybe considering you drove a petrol car, if you compare it with a diesel it's just dead the acceleration id just so poor on the diesel A.And as for cornering i doubt how a softer suspension setup on the A is going to feel more stable.Undoubtedly the interior on the A is a class apart compared to the beemer.
Old 13th September 2013, 16:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
I had the opportunity to drive the 1-series, A class and the Mini Cooper S last weekend
Hope 1 an A was in petrol disguise, right?

You should have tried both in reverse routes also, 1 in Gurgaon - Faridabad highway and A in Delhi Gurgaon expressway.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 13th September 2013, 16:52   #88
BHPian

The interiors don't look that of a 20-29 lacs car. I have noticed that the MID in the pictures shown above is smaller than that offered on cars showcased at bmw.com. May be BMW still perceives India as third world and have the notion that Indians don't deserve the best.
Old 13th September 2013, 23:13   #89
BHPian

The price difference between 118d [no discounts] and X1 20d [after discounts] is dangerously close. Looking at massive discounts on 1 in just next 6 months for sure. Way too over priced now and end of the day its a hatch, not practical enough IMO. 118d sport [mid variant] is 36+ OTR Bangalore, if one can spend over 35 L will not mind spending another 1-2 L and get the X1 20d. 116i is truly the cheapest BMW but certainly not VFM.
Old 31st July 2014, 18:53   #90
Senior - BHPian

BMW has launched a special edition called the M Performance Edition of the 1 Series, in an attempt to increase sales of the car. The new M Performance Edition includes modifications such as sportier bumpers, black front grill, rear spoiler with fins, black or white racing stripes and M Performance lettering for the side sills.

The 1 Series hatchback has received a lukewarm response by the Indian car buyers due to its unimpressive looks, poorly kitted lower variants and a high price tag. With this new launch BMW is leveraging the popularity of its M Performance Division to generate interest for the 1 Series, which has been facing some stiff competition by its chief rival brands - the Mercedes A Class, which comparatively sells higher volumes, and the soon to be launched Audi A3 sedan.

The all India ex-showroom prices are as follows –

The BMW 116i M Performance Edition: INR 22,65,000
The BMW 118d M Performance Edition: INR 25,60,000
The BMW 118d Sport M Performance Edition: INR 28,55,000
The BMW 118d Sport Plus M Performance Edition: INR 32,50,000

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 31st July 2014 at 18:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks