Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th October 2018, 13:31   #106
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

Reviving an old thread:
Are there any 118d owners in the forum? I would like an honest review. Technically this looks like a drivers car in a compact package best for people who need compact car to drive around city. I come across this beautiful Blue color 118d sportline variant of Jan2014 with 76000 kms on odo. Asking price is 14.5 lacs, which is negotiable. Can users recommend the best price to buy this at, considering everything goes well within BMW check?
Old 12th August 2019, 23:44   #107
BHPian

Default Re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Here is the spec sheet for whoever is interested -

Personally I'd love a Valencia Orange Sports +.
I know its a really old thread but I wanted to find out the differences between the Sport and Sport Plus as I am looking for a used 118D. Akahay can you please let me know if you have this PDF still handy and if this can be uploaded as the existing copy says it has errors when I try to open it on Acrobat reader 2017.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:12   #108
BANNED

Default BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

The Beemer 1 Series is well on the road to becoming a classic.

Purely because it is a relatively rare car in India and tended to be bought only by enthusiasts.

The earlier gen one which was launched here in 2013 was an RWD and a real responsive driver's car.
Like a poor man's Z4 in my book!

The new gen one (2018-2019) is a FWD and that absolutely ruins the joy of a Beemer for me. Anyway this car isnt available in India.

There are a number of BMW 118d's available in Bangalore and in Kolkata and Delhi.

I also know of one 116i available in Bangalore.

All of these are of vintage ranging from 2013-2016.

Several of these cars are visible on OLX India.

One was indeed available on TBHP classifieds too but the owner has since pulled it off.

This is a very nice car indeed.

I have also been toying with the idea of owning one (used of course). Because it may very well be the perfect touring car - a long low hatch with plenty of lovely useable space at the back. And a pleasure to drive with its Linear power delivery, sharp and precise steering. And lots and lots of Oomph!

But for the moment at least, Im not in the market.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th August 2019 at 04:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 09:21   #109
BHPian

I had a long drive in a petrol 2014 variant a couple of years back.

The only post 2013 variant worth owning the sportline plus. There's no usb, bluetooth, armrest in other variants!

Even then, there are compromises. No space for a spare tyre in case you want to switch to tubeless. The rear seat is too upright. Also, by BMW standards, the hatch is very warm - 9.1/8.8 sec to 100 kmph depending on diesel or petrol. I felt the Octavia's 1.8 is by far the better engine - no comparison at all.

Of course, good ride quality (surprisingly!), handling is nice, the steering feel is excellent, refinement is great.

If you must indeed buy one, haggle like crazy - there are hardly any buyers out there for this car.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:03   #110
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
I know its a really old thread but I wanted to find out the differences between the Sport and Sport Plus as I am looking for a used 118D. Akahay can you please let me know if you have this PDF still handy and if this can be uploaded as the existing copy says it has errors when I try to open it on Acrobat reader 2017.
Hi, as far as I remember, the sports + only had the xenon headlamps with angel eyes, and other minor things over the sports variant. It is the variant to go for if available.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:38. Reason: spacing
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 06:05   #111
Senior - BHPian

Some observations after driving the new BMW 118i.

The car looks good. That big grill up front has a nice premium finish to it and curves up a little towards the bonnet.

A good step up in interior quality (Versus the old 116i). Soft touch materials used for the dashboard and door pads. The version I drove did not have leather seats. That said, the fabric seat material felt top notch.

Full electronic (or digital) configurable instrument cluster. Fortunately; they have retained the all essential engine temperature gauge.

All LED lighting.

Illuminated dash board and door panel trim.

Felt like I was sitting too close to the dashboard and windscreen while seated on the front passenger seat. Thought it was a case of the seat being too forward but I had plenty of legroom even when seated this way.

The infotainment system has had a refresh. Nice new graphics, excellent response and a beautiful high resolution display. It looked almost as good as a calibrated one.

Virtual key system which allows you to unlock the car using your smartphone. This one is very convenient.

The car I drove had a 1.5l, 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine with a power out put of about 140 horse power and 220nm of torque. You get a lot more bang if you step up to the M135i. I have to say that the Germans are starting to nail it with regard to small capacity engines. This car is reasonably quick off the block and once you get going, there is no telling that you are driving a car with a 3 cylinder engine. The only time you notice it is when you do aggressive starts and the shudder when the Start Stop system is working. Hard acceleration does result in engine getting a bit vocal. The gearbox is quick to respond and shadows turbo lag.

The chassis is a beauty, as is the case with most BMW's. While I was missing some additional pep from the engine, the way the car responded to directional change was amazing. It felt like you were one with the car. Very few cars give you this feeling. The M edition should be an absolute hoot to drive, with the all wheel drive system.

There were heaps of other toys I did not play around with such as automatic park, etc and loads of optional extras including an upgraded stereo. All said and done, at $50,000 (New Zealand), it is steep and you might get better engine options at a standard spec from the likes of Audi and Mercedes. What you cannot ignore is the much improved look and feel of the new 1. This is no longer your cheap entry level BMW.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th March 2020 at 06:06.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed