Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 13:31   #106
BHPian

Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

Reviving an old thread:
Are there any 118d owners in the forum? I would like an honest review. Technically this looks like a drivers car in a compact package best for people who need compact car to drive around city. I come across this beautiful Blue color 118d sportline variant of Jan2014 with 76000 kms on odo. Asking price is 14.5 lacs, which is negotiable. Can users recommend the best price to buy this at, considering everything goes well within BMW check?
Old 12th August 2019, 23:44   #107
BHPian

Re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Here is the spec sheet for whoever is interested -

Personally I'd love a Valencia Orange Sports +.
I know its a really old thread but I wanted to find out the differences between the Sport and Sport Plus as I am looking for a used 118D. Akahay can you please let me know if you have this PDF still handy and if this can be uploaded as the existing copy says it has errors when I try to open it on Acrobat reader 2017.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:12   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

The Beemer 1 Series is well on the road to becoming a classic.

Purely because it is a relatively rare car in India and tended to be bought only by enthusiasts.

The earlier gen one which was launched here in 2013 was an RWD and a real responsive driver's car.
Like a poor man's Z4 in my book!

The new gen one (2018-2019) is a FWD and that absolutely ruins the joy of a Beemer for me. Anyway this car isnt available in India.

There are a number of BMW 118d's available in Bangalore and in Kolkata and Delhi.

I also know of one 116i available in Bangalore.

All of these are of vintage ranging from 2013-2016.

Several of these cars are visible on OLX India.

One was indeed available on TBHP classifieds too but the owner has since pulled it off.

This is a very nice car indeed.

I have also been toying with the idea of owning one (used of course). Because it may very well be the perfect touring car - a long low hatch with plenty of lovely useable space at the back. And a pleasure to drive with its Linear power delivery, sharp and precise steering. And lots and lots of Oomph!

But for the moment at least, Im not in the market.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th August 2019 at 04:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 09:21   #109
BHPian

I had a long drive in a petrol 2014 variant a couple of years back.

The only post 2013 variant worth owning the sportline plus. There's no usb, bluetooth, armrest in other variants!

Even then, there are compromises. No space for a spare tyre in case you want to switch to tubeless. The rear seat is too upright. Also, by BMW standards, the hatch is very warm - 9.1/8.8 sec to 100 kmph depending on diesel or petrol. I felt the Octavia's 1.8 is by far the better engine - no comparison at all.

Of course, good ride quality (surprisingly!), handling is nice, the steering feel is excellent, refinement is great.

If you must indeed buy one, haggle like crazy - there are hardly any buyers out there for this car.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:03   #110
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW to launch the 1 Series later in 2013*UPDATE: Now launched*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
I know its a really old thread but I wanted to find out the differences between the Sport and Sport Plus as I am looking for a used 118D. Akahay can you please let me know if you have this PDF still handy and if this can be uploaded as the existing copy says it has errors when I try to open it on Acrobat reader 2017.
Hi, as far as I remember, the sports + only had the xenon headlamps with angel eyes, and other minor things over the sports variant. It is the variant to go for if available.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:38. Reason: spacing
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 06:05   #111
Senior - BHPian

Some observations after driving the new BMW 118i.

The car looks good. That big grill up front has a nice premium finish to it and curves up a little towards the bonnet.

A good step up in interior quality (Versus the old 116i). Soft touch materials used for the dashboard and door pads. The version I drove did not have leather seats. That said, the fabric seat material felt top notch.

Full electronic (or digital) configurable instrument cluster. Fortunately; they have retained the all essential engine temperature gauge.

All LED lighting.

Illuminated dash board and door panel trim.

Felt like I was sitting too close to the dashboard and windscreen while seated on the front passenger seat. Thought it was a case of the seat being too forward but I had plenty of legroom even when seated this way.

The infotainment system has had a refresh. Nice new graphics, excellent response and a beautiful high resolution display. It looked almost as good as a calibrated one.

Virtual key system which allows you to unlock the car using your smartphone. This one is very convenient.

The car I drove had a 1.5l, 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine with a power out put of about 140 horse power and 220nm of torque. You get a lot more bang if you step up to the M135i. I have to say that the Germans are starting to nail it with regard to small capacity engines. This car is reasonably quick off the block and once you get going, there is no telling that you are driving a car with a 3 cylinder engine. The only time you notice it is when you do aggressive starts and the shudder when the Start Stop system is working. Hard acceleration does result in engine getting a bit vocal. The gearbox is quick to respond and shadows turbo lag.

The chassis is a beauty, as is the case with most BMW's. While I was missing some additional pep from the engine, the way the car responded to directional change was amazing. It felt like you were one with the car. Very few cars give you this feeling. The M edition should be an absolute hoot to drive, with the all wheel drive system.

There were heaps of other toys I did not play around with such as automatic park, etc and loads of optional extras including an upgraded stereo. All said and done, at $50,000 (New Zealand), it is steep and you might get better engine options at a standard spec from the likes of Audi and Mercedes. What you cannot ignore is the much improved look and feel of the new 1. This is no longer your cheap entry level BMW.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th March 2020 at 06:06.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:28   #112
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. I'm in the market for a used BMW and I see a 2013 model, 50k kms driven, for 17 lacs (with M kit). Is this a good price? This will be my first luxury car buy and I don't want to stretch my budget beyond 20 lacs to accommodate yearly maintenance charges. Personally, I don't mind the looks of this BMW -- kinda understated and doesn't garner attention. Any pointers -- you can DM me as well.

Also, I see threads on used BMWs with warranty. How do I spot these cars with warranty? GTO keeps recommending buying the BMWs with some warranty package. I'm unclear as to how and where I should shop for these

P.S. If you're selling your BMW in Chennai, please DM me. I don't want to deal with dealers.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th July 2021, 12:42   #113
BHPian

You need to look harder. Doesn’t make sense buying a 2013 model and at 17L. I’m seeing ads for 2016 models with 40-50k on the odo at 21-22L.
Folks here recommend going for the 2016 model as that’s the same gen as the current model (aesthetics and bells and whistles aside).
Most cars with warranty will be ones where owners took a 5 year BSI/BRI package and will anyways start expiring in 2021/22. Not sure of the costs for extending warranty beyond 5 years; maybe others can throw so,e light on the space.
ankur_g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 09:59   #114
BHPian

I think Rs 17 lacs is on the higher side. I recently bought a 2015 model 118d with similar mileage for less. DM me if you want any specific information about it.

That said, its great fun to drive and brings a smile to my face whenever i open up on twisty roads.
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:48   #115
BHPian

Are there any owners with 2013 116i? Wanted to know what should i pay for such a model and the ownership cost.

The interiors are bland and I am wondering what are the modification options wrt basic features and even a music system, rear cam, etc
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 08:17   #116
BHPian

Among the things that i first got done on my car was adding apple carplay, replacing front speakers and getting a reversing camera fitted. For me, that sorted out any immediate shortcoming for my daily use.

The plans for the future include a ECU remap and suspension overhaul - perhaps a year down the line.
AmGu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmGu View Post
Among the things that i first got done on my car was adding apple carplay, replacing front speakers and getting a reversing camera fitted. For me, that sorted out any immediate shortcoming for my daily use.

The plans for the future include a ECU remap and suspension overhaul - perhaps a year down the line.
You are so lucky that the 118d at least gets an iDrive than can be upgraded with CarPlay & a reverse cam. This chassis begs for an ECU remap, more than capable of handling the additional power. Ask me, I've thrown a bunch more at it.

I had a suspension overhaul, I wish I went for Bilstein B6s instead of the softer B4s but I share this car with my Mom. The ride as it sits on 16 inches is really good with the stock suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Are there any owners with 2013 116i? Wanted to know what should i pay for such a model and the ownership cost.

The interiors are bland and I am wondering what are the modification options wrt basic features and even a music system, rear cam, etc
An android-based head unit, but most likely requires a new dash facia kit/adapter for it to be retrofitted alongside a rotary iDrive Knob.

I have just uploaded an initial ownership review of my 2013 BMW 116i.

I urge you guys to head on over to an initial ownership review of my 2013 BMW 116i. It went live just yesterday. We can have a conversation going about all things related to this beautiful hatch. I've done a bunch of stuff to mine. Do check it out!

(2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback)2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback
Old 3rd February 2023, 23:51   #118
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmGu View Post
@AmGu Thank you for this post, as well as your excellent 2013 BMW 1 Series ownership report. I am seriously considering buying a 2014 118d which is in excellent condition. This is a Sport trim version with iDrive and Infotainment screen etc. The only two missing features bothering me in this car are the lack of Bluetooth audio, which mean I cannot play music from my iPhone wirelessly. The other thing bothering me is that the outside rear view Mirrors are not electrically folding.

I was therefore very interested to read that you’ve added Apple CarPlay to your 1 Series. I would like to know how/where you got this done, and the cost. The car I am thinking of buying already has the central Infotainment screen, so would it be possible to incorporate CarPlay into the existing screen, or would I have to replace it?

Secondly, would it be possible to incorporate the electrically folding mirrors feature in this car? I do realise the drivers’ door control panel would have to be replaced, as well as adding motor assemblies to the mirror housings.

I would be most grateful for whatever info you could provide. Please DM me, or reply here itself. Many thanks!
Old 4th February 2023, 18:57   #119
BHPian

Bought a used 2014 BMW 118d - Need Service advise in Bangalore

Hello T-BHP'ians,
I bought a used 2014 BMW 118d last week. The ODO on the car is about 36,165 kms(not sure if I can trust it). Its a single owner owned car, DD registered(to be re-registered in KA) and I believe I got a good deal considering that there were only about six 118d's available in the used car market all India. There was just one 2nd owner owned 2013 petrol 116i available in Bangalore(KA registered) and the asking price was a whopping 59% more than what I got for the DD registered 2014 single owner owned diesel 118d.
Anyhow, since I never wanted the petrol, the 116i was never considered.

The papers of the car are clean and it will arrive in Bangalore shortly. I tried to get a service history from BMW website, but was unsuccessful, and I could not visit any BMW service center with the car due to shortage of time and other factors, though the dealer was very happy to hand it over to me for a complete check with BMW.

As soon as the car arrives in Bangalore(expecting it on 05/02/23), the first thing I want to do is get a complete service done on the car from an authorized BMW service center.

I request advise/suggestions from fellow TBHP members about the things that need to be checked and replaced and importantly which service center I can rely on in Bangalore. My experience with BMW cars is nil.

My initial observation from about a 10 kms test drive that I did are as follows:-
1. There was no black/blue smoke from the exhaust.
2. Dint find any under body oil leakages.
3. On the test drive, the car dint seem to be like a 150 BHP car. My 2017 100 BHP Figo TDCi feels more powerful.
4. The suspension made some thud-thud noises on un-asphalted roads, none on the highway.
5. The steering was slightly wobbly, probably due to the worn out run-flat tyres.
6. The AC was working fine.
7. I could feel the gear shifts from the 8 speed ziptronic auto gearbox. The gears were holding on for a longer time, probably I was driving in sports mode.
8. The engine noise was a bit gruff when cold started. Compared it with a relatively newer model 320d and found it be slightly on the louder side.
9. The brakes were OK but not sharp.
10. The body line and interiors are neat. I believe its an accident free car.
11. Its the base variant.

Any advise from fellow members is highly appreciated.

@Moderators - Please feel free to move or merge it with any appropriate thread.

Thanks.
Pkumarblore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 19:14   #120
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bought a used 2014 BMW 118d - Need Service advise in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hello T-BHP'ians,
I bought a used 2014 BMW 118d last week. The ODO on the car is about 36,165 kms(not sure if I can trust it). Its a single owner owned car, DD registered(to be re-registered in KA) and I believe I got a good deal considering that there were only about six 118d's available in the used car market all India.
Please post the photos/short video of your car, we can tell you the actual value or odometer reading of this car. Meanwhile, you can also call any insurance guy for a quote, he too will tell you the actual condition of the vehicle.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks