Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 18:16   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

The one thing I've been waiting to make note of is the impact the Ford EcoSport has had on similarly priced cars in the market. The Duster is one of them. Say what you want. They cater to different customers and needs. They don't belong to the same segment. Etcetera. Etcetera. But let's forget about the Duster for now.

What seems to have gone completely unnoticed is the massive slide in the Mahindra Quanto's sales. June onwards, the Quanto fell to 3-digits from a healthy 4 that it had been registering, up to that point. The Quanto has absolutely nothing going for it. It's ride / handling is averaged-poor at best, its utilitarian feel totally kills the purpose of owning a compact SUV for the city, it seriously lacks refinement and it just looks like an abomination. Sorry, Mahindra! Please try again later. Thank you.

The Figo's sales figures suggest that people walked in to buy a top-end hatch but walked out after ordering a mid-variant EcoSport.

Top work GTO and Parry!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th September 2013 at 18:17.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 18:34   #62
BHPian

IMO Instead of putting money & effort on the vibe, quanto, Mahindra should have focussed on the Scorp. It's already getting old in the tooth. Not just a refresh, it really needs to improve on the suspension, space and general interior ambience. Focus on strengths rather than doing things out of whack.

I was a customer for the duster when it was lauched. But the pricing seriously put me off. The poor interior quality and tinny exteriors do not justify any variants price tag whatsoever. I am glad that the baby Ford has shown the Duster it's place.

Both the Ecosport and Amaze have shown what a VFM product can do for a manufacturer in this country.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:44   #63
BHPian

[/quote] we also need to see how ecosport would do 1 year down the line in terms of volumes. I have seen some products having a very truncated life cycle with sales falling off the cliff within 6-9 months of the launch. Even XUV 500 which had massive demand in the initial 3 months has seen serious dip in volumes. We can blame the slowdown too for this.[/quote]

I agree with you that sale of any model dips after the initial excitement wears off but still EcoSport will continue to remain a genuine VFM package.

As far as the XUV is concerned, apart from the economic slowdown, the initial ownership reports suggested that the car suffered from numerous electronic glitches and in India word of mouth publicity can make or break a product.

Thus, a lot of potential buyers have turned away from the car.

Moreover, there is a huge price difference between the XUV and the EcoSport and though I agree that there will be a dip in sales it will definitely not be as dramatic as in the case of the XUV.

Cheers!
Old 4th September 2013, 19:06   #64
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Vehicles with constantly increasing market share over the last 6 months (for vehicles with market share of min. 20% or more) :
Hyundai Eon
Maruti Wagon R
Honda Amaze
Ford EcoSport
Hyundai Verna
VW Vento
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Elantra
Toyota Innova

Vehicles with constantly declining market share over the last 6 months (for vehicles with market share of min. 8%) :
Hyundai i10
Ford Figo
Maruti Swift
Maruti Dzire
Honda City
Mahindra Bolero
Mahindra Scorpio
VW Jetta
Renault Duster

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 19:39   #65
BHPian

Fiat cars are rock solid. Nice to see the Tata departure making a difference. Way to go Fiat. You need to pump up the testo against Polo and Figo now. Get on your punchy cars, Fiat!!!
Old 4th September 2013, 19:42   #66
BHPian

Excellent analysis GTO, without your analysis I think this thread feels incomplete.

I agree with you GTO, Maruti despite bragging about their YOY growth they have really not gained much in-comparison to previous month and have actually posted lesser sales than May or June month in the same calendar year. I still think swift has done alright especially after introduction of Ford Ecosport which has dragged some numbers from i20 and most of them from Duster I guess.

I do not find a proper reason as to why M&M have experimented by bringing Verito Vibe (a confusing product) when Verito itself was not their most successful product. May be they felt that they were desperately in need of a dud

Toyota Innova is going to come up with a facelift. Despite the high price tag the sales figures of Innova at 5k is pretty good. I am interested to see how our market is going to react to that. I found many disliking the new facelift.

My brother’s friend who is an automobile engineer has recently bought Fiat Linea and is spreading the craze among his friends and friend’s friends. Because of his friend my brother has set his goal on fiat Linea. I think Linea is a far better product that what the sales figures suggest. But the common crowd (or rather say least updated people, no offense to anyone) are far from interested in any Fiat product even without going to showroom and TD the car. I would have bought a 2009 Fiat Linea Emotion Pack (Diesel) that came at a price of just 4.75 Lakhs if not for my “Maruti Crazy; only new no second hand type of car family” .

It’s good to see the increasing numbers for Fiat India.

About Tata’s figures I am just waiting for them to unleash their new line up or refreshed products with their new strategy and their Advanced Modular Product (AMP) platform. As of now the Sumo Grande facelift has been disappointing.
An entry level hatchback named Nano Grande,
A premium hatchback named Vista Club Class,
A sub-four meter sedan named Manza exec Class,
A compact MPV named Marina Grande.

I WISH TATA DO NOT USE any of their existing names on this new platform. Such a boring chronology!!
Old 4th September 2013, 20:15   #67
BHPian

Thanks for the analysis GTO.
Read in Autocar that Anand mahindra wanted a strategy to introduce models by changing their die-cast slightly to atleast sell few numbers to the rural market. that may be the reason for Verito-vibe, quanto etc. For the urban population its a joke as they get to see better models.
Am surprised by the overall numbers of A and C1 segment. This can mean there are equal number of folks who are willing to spend on C1 as A.
Old 5th September 2013, 02:07   #68
BHPian

Interesting to see all the cars that blazed the charts falling off equally quickly. The XUV frenzy seems a distant memory. Initial euphoria fading as dramatically and rapidly as they rose. What does this say about the Ecosport?

Both the XUV and Duster had folks furiously working the phones for 'contacts' or harassing overwhelmed dealers and sales folks for delivery. Now I guess both Mahindra and Renault dealers are just waiting to pounce on potential customers.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 07:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton again for the analysis guys. Good to see some changes from the usual trends. Duster and XUV not selling as hot as they would have wanted to. Ecosport numbers are limited only by Ford's inability to cater to the demand. Figo going down steadily. It's high time I guess they spruce up the interiors and offer all four power windows atleast on cars costing 6.5 lakh OTR. I am in the market for a new car and was seriously put off by this.
Good to see a spike in fiat numbers. During the course of my test drives I realised punto is as good as any car in the market today even after being a 5year old model. It may not be the best for everyone but certainly way better than what the figures suggest.
Quanto and vibe? I don't know why mahindra tries these things.
Old 5th September 2013, 07:40   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The one thing I've been waiting to make note of is the impact the Ford EcoSport has had on similarly priced cars in the market. The Duster is one of them. Say what you want. They cater to different customers and needs. They don't belong to the same segment. Etcetera. Etcetera. But let's forget about the Duster for now.
Will make an interesting study. But I think we need to give in some more time to see a clear trend. For example:

- lets say we give 4-6 months of analysis.
- In that period, if Ecosport sails remain flat, then it may or may NOT speak much of the impact. If it rises, then its crystal clear.
- Reason for being flat may also be because Ford is not able to handle capacity demand.
- We may also need to comprehend the length of waiting lists of buyers in that case.

But all in all will surely make a nice analytics case study!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 09:56   #71
BHPian

What made M&M decide not to introduce new vehicles till 2016? Looking at the charts except for Scorpio and Bolero nothing is working well for them. Scorpio is more than a decade old. The face lift is expected to arrive in Q1 2014, why the delay?

Looking at Quanto , M&M couldn't resist entering the compact SUV market and they cut short the comfortable last row from the Xylo. A small XUV or a Scorpio would have at least made sense or attracted those buyers who dream of owning a XUV/Scorpio but could not afford it.

XUV500 is such a amazing product,looks good,feature loaded,powerful but given the niggles how many potential buyers M&M has lost? 13+ L is a big amount and you expect the product to be reliable.

I might sound stupid, but if I have to shell 15 Lacs and considering the XUV which is prone to such niggles I would rather go for the Innova. Yes it has a small engine,basic features but it gives you a peace of mind.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 13:44   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
One question, GTO. Shouldn't the i10 and the Grand i10 be considered together for the purpose of sales? Tata does it with the Indica+Vista and Indigo+Manza, so why shouldn't the i10 siblings be considered together?

If they had done so, their combined sales would have been 6017 (i10) + 1847 (Grand i10), making it a total of 7864 units dispatched for August, putting it three places ahead and right between Eon and Bolero.
I can understand your feelings. As a hard-core Hyundai fan, you want to see the i10 as the most selling car in India! I think Mods can help you to achieve this by combining the sales figures, if Hyundai doesn't do that.
Old 5th September 2013, 14:24   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
What made M&M decide not to introduce new vehicles till 2016? Looking at the charts except for Scorpio and Bolero nothing is working well for them. Scorpio is more than a decade old. The face lift is expected to arrive in Q1 2014, why the delay?

Looking at Quanto , M&M couldn't resist entering the compact SUV market and they cut short the comfortable last row from the Xylo. A small XUV or a Scorpio would have at least made sense or attracted those buyers who dream of owning a XUV/Scorpio but could not afford it.

XUV500 is such a amazing product,looks good,feature loaded,powerful but given the niggles how many potential buyers M&M has lost? 13+ L is a big amount and you expect the product to be reliable.

I might sound stupid, but if I have to shell 15 Lacs and considering the XUV which is prone to such niggles I would rather go for the Innova. Yes it has a small engine,basic features but it gives you a peace of mind.
I agree with you word by word. M&M has always displayed a promise to build an Indian Brand. But after 1 big bang of XUV, they are going back in the shell till 2016 ..

Why can't M&M provide build quality equal to its european counterparts, They will be cost effective as well. Some points to ponder Rise M&M
Old 5th September 2013, 14:38   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What seems to have gone completely unnoticed is the massive slide in the Mahindra Quanto's sales. June onwards, the Quanto fell to 3-digits from a healthy 4 that it had been registering, up to that point. The Quanto has absolutely nothing going for it. It's ride / handling is averaged-poor at best, its utilitarian feel totally kills the purpose of owning a compact SUV for the city, it seriously lacks refinement and it just looks like an abomination. Sorry, Mahindra! Please try again later. Thank you.
I am sorry, but will have to disagree on some points.

I own a mahindra quanto and new ford fiesta (on which the eco-sport is based).

Let me clarify one thing in advance: the eco-sport is a better built vehicle and is better in overall finesse. I have no doubts.

Pro's for the quanto:
-space
-boot (remove the rear most seats, which I did)
-abuse taking capability
-engine!
-smaller than its sibling, and hence much more easier in the city.

Cons:
-well it is a mahindra. It won't be as well put together (as in panel gaps). And it will have some unique problems too.
-looks (subjective though).
-ride quality (again subjective, and actally improves with age).
-mahindra is not very confident of it's engine yet (seen by the 50k kms warranty) compared to the m-hawks, DI's and XD3P engine.

Now, both the cars are driven only in the city (bombay), and strangely enough, I have always preferred the quanto to drive and be driven around in. Some very good reasons: it makes you feel as if you are in a SUV, it is rugged and can handle the roads in India without a fuss, and is overall much more spacious. It is fairly easier to maneuver this car in the city. And I am a sedan/hatch lover!
You have to sit and drive this vehicle. It is so much forgiving, and that just makes it more stress-free to drive. No more worrying about that huge speed-bump/pothole/moon-crater.. just drive through it. No more worrying about that auto/biker for scratches..most of the times they avoid you.. and when they do scratch it.. hey it is cheap! Broke that ORVM.. no problemo..cheap to fix and if not that, just replace it (cheaply). On the NVH aspect, again the 3 pot is extremely refined (ford's is better though), and will never be harsh so as to trouble you. The tyre noise is in-fact much better controlled in the quanto. Otherwise, the vibrations are more in quanto, but I have never felt them to be intrusive to my peace.

You'll be by default a lot more careful while going on the semi-urban, rural areas in India (have you seen aurangabad roads off late?) in the ford. Not so with the quanto. It can just take all of those for breakfast. The ride is stiffer than the eco-sport and fiesta, however, but it won't be so much of a problem if you are in the front seats. In fact, my parents (in their late 50's), are more comfortable in the quanto! I cannot fathom why though. My dad says, although it is a little more jumpy than the ford, but still the it is not that un-comfortable.

In the city confines, I would say size wise although the quanto is bigger than the ford, but from a driver's perspective, you'll be more comfortable driving the quanto. Driveability wise, they will be more or less the same (eco-sport will have an edge because of the vibrations @1800 rpms in quanto), but it will not be a deal breaker for the majority. Handling-wise, the eco-sport wins hands down..BUT do you think that matters in the city and for that matter even on the highway (where even in the eco-sport you are going to be careful due to its high GC)? The quanto's highway manners are accpetable for most part. The enthusiast always cribs for more power, better handling (like me) etc., but for the real world, for the majority, it is accpetable.

Looks-wise, well it depends on individuals. I for one, find the eco-sport as a fashion accessory. The euphoria will die out sooner or later. It doesn't do anything good, it's only the price which makes it attractive. I believe the quanto is a much more honest and purpose built vehicle and for that matter much better priced as well.

Gadgetry wise, the ford wins hands down, however, the quanto is actually well-specced too.

I honestly don't see why the quanto is not selling well. It ticks most of the boxes for the Indian buying public. I for one will recommend everyone to take a test-drive for this car before deciding.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 16:34   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I can understand your feelings. As a hard-core Hyundai fan, you want to see the i10 as the most selling car in India! I think Mods can help you to achieve this by combining the sales figures, if Hyundai doesn't do that.
I think you have completely missed my point. Please read my subsequent post on this topic. I had only raised the question -- it was natural to do so, whether I'm a hard-core fan or not -- since other manufacturers had clubbed figures of different cars that share the name.

I'm least bothered if the i10 is the highest selling car or not, the market forces will determine the sales of a car.

And by the way, I'm closely following the sales and performance of the Honda Amaze since it has been launched. At this point in time, I'm a "hard-core fan" of the Amaze, more so than the i10.

I have also been a fan of the Ritz and I feel sad that this great hatch was not liked enough to be bought by a larger number of people. So you can see, I'm a fan of other cars as well.

Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed