Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2015, 20:17   #166
Senior - BHPian

The mustang will be launched under 50 l.... Confirmed. Ford can launch it at 40 too but their dealers are forcing a higher price since each dealer needs to invest in special tooling for it which is partly being funded by ford. Hence they will build that in the price. First year target is 300 cars. That's the initial lot being shipped.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 15:57   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The mustang will be launched under 50 l.... Confirmed. Ford can launch it at 40 too but their dealers are forcing a higher price since each dealer needs to invest in special tooling for it which is partly being funded by ford. Hence they will build that in the price. First year target is 300 cars. That's the initial lot being shipped.

Is this the pricing for the GT 5.0 V8, you're talking about? Also do you know if the manual transmission will be available?
Old 5th July 2015, 20:50   #168
BHPian

re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
Is this the pricing for the GT 5.0 V8, you're talking about? Also do you know if the manual transmission will be available?
There's no way they would launch a V8 vehicle around 50L. It has to be the EcoBoost engine.
Old 6th July 2015, 00:46   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Mustang is not a Mustang unless it's a manual
Lots of cries for manuals here, but in truth, with the exception of certain homologation/competition-oriented, higher-revving (& less low-end torque) variants like the Boss 302, 289 hi-po, and original (Chevy 302) Z-28's, ALL the original, defining American pony cars, whether six-cylinder or V-8, came MUCH more frequently optioned with Automatics than with manuals throughout the 1960's/1970's. Especially in the case of the larger V-8's of 5.7L and up (including torquey 6.5L-up Big-Blocks like the 1969 390ci Mustang a friend's uncle owned, and the 396 Camaros, etc), automatics had the benefits of making the substantial torque/power a lot more manageable and pleasant for daily use, more consistent in any drag race, easier to maneuver through traffic, more wife-friendly, and still absolutely potent and possible to drive sportingly when so desired (well, as "sportingly" as having a heavy old-school iron V-8 in a lightweight unit-body allowed). Anyway, I think that to some degree that reality would still ring true even for modern machinery. Additionally take typical Indian traffic jams into consideration and in a higher-powered car, an automatic can be by far the best all-rounder.

I've never personally liked automatics so much (and didn't have a wife till more recently!), and my avoidance of them led to the purchase of a number of relatively rare-option manual-gearbox cars (1969 Olds W-31 of which only 569 were made, a Datsun 280ZX T-top Turbo 2+2, an E-32 BMW 735i 5-speed).

I cannot deny, however, the substantial driving pleasure possible with a rightly-matched V-8 and automatic... some fine memories made back in the day with old-school 7.5L Oldsmobile 4-4-2's (my own a hardtop, along with a friend's two rare W-30 convertibles) come pretty poignantly to mind.

Might note that automatics also tend to work better vs. manuals with turbo engines (under normal conditions), due to virtually no loss of boost while shifting and quicker building of boost off the line (the 280ZXT automatic did a half-second better in the quarter-mile than the manual in magazine tests back in the day). Perhaps pertinent if Ford introduces it here with something other than a NA engine.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 6th July 2015 at 00:59.
ringoism is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 06:52   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I've never personally liked automatics so much (and didn't have a wife till more recently!),.... -Eric
What economy of words to convey chapters worth of feelings. Great.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 09:28   #171
Senior - BHPian

for 40-50 lakhs, the interiors definitely don't justify the price IMO. I know that world over, Mustangs have low rent interiors (relatively) compared to its performance credentials, however world over the price is very less compared to higher end models, in India if the price parity was kept, the Mustang should have retailed for 18-25 lakhs, and at half a crore, a buyer will certainly feel cheated after he gets over the initial high of buying the pony car!!!
Old 6th July 2015, 16:59   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT spotted by Gaadi.com at Arai, Pune.

Looks smoking hawtt !!!

This is not at ARAI Pune. This is at VRDE Ahmednagar where it must be doing the Pre Launch Fuel Efficiency, Handling and High Speed Testing.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2015 at 18:18. Reason: Typos
Turboholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 16:00   #173
vdm
BHPian

Well it being an American sports car, one thing is for sure that its going to create a lot of excitement in the market. For the pricing it gone to be a wait & watch game.
Old 8th July 2015, 20:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Lots of cries for manuals here, but in truth, with the exception of certain homologation/competition-oriented, higher-revving (& less low-end torque) variants like the Boss 302, 289 hi-po, and original (Chevy 302) Z-28's, ALL the original, defining American pony cars, whether six-cylinder or V-8, came MUCH more frequently optioned with Automatics than with manuals throughout the 1960's/1970's.
-Eric
I don't disagree with a word you said. For all practical and performance ( slightly better ) purposes , the automatics are better than the Manuals. But when it comes to that connection between man and machine , nothing beats a stick shift in the hand and by God the new Getrag manual transmission is just sweet !

BTW when did petrol heads start to think so practically ? This is definitely going to be a collector's car for some at least , so Ford please give us something that's a bit more fun than something for just practical reasons.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th July 2015 at 23:02. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 20:27   #175
Senior - BHPian

I do not know how many people will spend 50 lakhs for rattling interior

US version tail lamp and black interior looks much better than the clear tail lamp and beige interior.

Last edited by Latheesh : 8th July 2015 at 20:53.
Old 9th July 2015, 22:04   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

US version tail lamp and black interior looks much better than the clear tail lamp and beige interior.

You'll love the rattling even when you spend 2 crores on a German. So it's better to get used to the rattling
Old 9th July 2015, 22:09   #177
BHPian

Looks very stylish to me and specially love its dark alloys. No doubt the car has character. I think at around 40L it is par for the course. No real clarity emerges from pictures about interior quality so better to wait.

Regarding transmission, pony car combines well with MT. Same time in India, automatic is preferred in the said price range so Ford must be thinking hard.

Read somewhere that Ford was considering a ten-gear automatic system for Mustang. Any update?
Old 10th July 2015, 08:59   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post

You'll love the rattling even when you spend 2 crores on a German. So it's better to get used to the rattling
Ha ha.. we currently have one and rattling around C pillar area is so irritating that we could hear even if we put in S- mode. It has done just 4K miles.
Old 12th July 2015, 01:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I must be getting old... remember Mustangs from the earliest onwards in so many varieties being sold off second-hand dirt-cheap...(undoubtedly all very rattly).

Things may have changed, but till I more or less exited the American scene 15 years ago, these were always, first and foremost, FUN cars - certainly not very high-quality or expensive or exclusive cars (the cheap price was a large part of the appeal of the original in 1964). That was actually what made pony cars all the rage for decades onward - good looks and fun/performance at very affordable prices.

A figure like 50 lakhs - 40 lakhs - whatever... is for me simply staggering / wholly unjustifiable. I realize that here we're also dealing with staggering import duties, but back in the day (late 1980's - i.e., when I graduated high school), on U.S. soil one could buy a Deutchmark-inflated flagship BMW 7-series for half that price. And the market considered THAT prohibitively expensive vs. the equally good Japanese competition (Lex/Infiniti), which began to dominate the scene at that time.

I suppose you ARE paying for the exclusivity here. The gov't will be very happy to collect their cut, and even Ford may laugh their way to the bank. As for me, if something's gonna cost 50 lakhs, it'd better have a bathtub and at least a couple bedrooms.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 12th July 2015 at 01:21.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 22:53   #180
Senior - BHPian

Its amazing that T-bhp being a forum for enthusiasts, most people complain of the pricing despite knowing very well of the limitations set forward by the government on engine displacements for imports. Mitsubishi wasn't stupid to offer the Evo for 56 lakhs either, but that is what our government wants us to pay for the luxury of importing vehicles.
You'd think if they could price it at 30 lakhs to boost initial sales, they wouldn't do it? The base model retails for about $25000 that is roughly 16 lakhs. Add to that the various costs included in shipping, handling, insurance, and then the local taxes that would essentially see the price going well double the US pricing. Then you cater in dealer margins, dealer training, and transportation, storage, (assembly if any) testing and it eventually costs upward of 40 lakhs for the company. The rest will be the profit margin.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed