Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 09:47   #91
BHPian

re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Going by the Ford UK website, Ford has only launched the Mustang Ecoboost and GT in the UK. Looks like India will be getting the same engines
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-screen-shot-20150417-9.41.44-am.png  

Old 17th April 2015, 10:21   #92
BHPian

There are European performance cars and there is the Ford Mustang. Buyers are of all categories. Even if the price of Mustang in India touches European levels there will still be takers, albeit few. Nevertheless, I hope Ford would analyse the demand and tag it reasonably. Waiting for the muscle car to touch Indian shores.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:05   #93
BHPian

Damn!

Can't wait for the pricing information to be released.

I am hoping against hope that Ford isnt as greedy and prices a bare bones version at 40L ex showroom.

This article hints at $80,000 mentioning that the India pricing is set to be the highest in the world.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-m...ge-price-india

Do we know anything about body styles? Convertibles?

Nucliomaniac
Old 21st April 2015, 14:36   #94

If the Mustang is over-priced, which companies in India tend to do for profit, the brand may not take-off and a myth will be floated that such cars are not liked by Indians.
Old 21st April 2015, 19:49   #95
BHPian

In US Base Model Mustang starts at 23K. It would be unreasonable to mark up to such ridiculous prices. In that case Dodge should land up here with the Challenger which is also staring at 25K. That will give them something to think about.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Just did a price configuration of the ecoboost from the Ford UK website and boy is it expensive if it's going to come here as a CBU.

1) Basic Eco Boost Fastback model - 29,250 £ which means 27,74,576 Rs ( in UK ). Now since this is < 3000 cc engine add 60% customs + 27 % excise and the final price comes to around 51,88,457 Rs.

2) Eco Boost with the premium Audio , climate seats and reverse camera - 31,180 £ which means 29,57,650 Rs ( in UK ). Again add our 87 % tax and the final price comes to around 55,30,805 Rs.

3) Mustang 5.0 full options - 35,185 £ which is 33,37,553 Rs. Since it is >3000 cc engine it would attract 100% customs tax + excise 27% so final price comes around 75,76,245 Rs.

Not so bad if they price it sensibly and not get greedy or we can just import it from the UK.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 22nd April 2015 at 18:35. Reason: corrected wrong tax calculation
Old 26th April 2015, 18:46   #97
BHPian

Why 2015 Mustang sports car makes sense for the Indian Auto enthusiast - A fanboy’s take!

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-1.1.jpg

Here we go!

1. Rich heritage
With a 50 year old rich heritage Mustang is a legend which has stood test of times and has won many hearts. There are very few prestigious cars like Porsche 911, Volkswagen Beetle in that league. And when you buy one you kind of buy a part of the automotive history!
2. Ground clearance
I don’t have exact figures and neither does the Ford Motor company have announced these details. But I’m 100 percent sure that a Mustang ground clearance is 165mm (6.5 inches) or more. To put it in context Honda City in India has a ground clearance of 165mm. I think I speak for all when I say it feels pretty good when our prized possession just floats over speed breakers in India.
3. Mustang for all
There is a mustang for every one!
A naturally aspirated V8 for the purebred enthusiast.
A naturally aspirated V6 for the cost conscious enthusiast.
A 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost for the cost and mileage conscious enthusiast.
4. Totally customizable
I couldn’t quite believe the number and variety of customizable parts available and in development for the 2015 Mustangs. May it be Interior, exterior, ride, handling or power and the prices were reasonable too. Even Ford performance offer parts in the market!
5. A unique car
Low slung sports car exotics occupy most of the garages in India. But I’ve always wondered why we Indians refrain from muscle car purchases! A proper muscle car would make you stand out in the crowd in India for sure!
6. Comfortable interiors with good driving position
The older generation Mustangs have always faced flak for their interior designs and materials. It seems Ford put in some extra efforts this time and it has paid off. Not only are the interiors a good place to sit in the designers have also embraced and integrated the technology and connectivity quite nicely. And the driving position is spot on giving a commanding view of the road over the classic mustang long hood.

7. Exterior design – a viewing pleasure.
I have always believed that a good design is the best start to win an enthusiasts heart! And boy oh boy Mustang doesn’t fail at it a bit. All the signature trademarks of its heritage like the swooping fast back, the 3 bar tail lamp and the long hood have been beautifully integrated to the design to make modern mustang an eye candy whose design will age elegantly. In comparison the Volkswagen Beetle has lost its charms in the modern reiteration of the iconic design! (I still love the old Beetle so much!)
8. Ford making drivers cars!
With Ford churning out driver focused cars like the Focus ST , Fiesta ST and even reviving the GT badge with a kick ass concept in the past two years. It is no surprise that the new Mustang is one of the best drivers car in its history. The rear solid live axle making way for independent suspensions, a torquey 4 cylinder engine and a beautiful balance between ride and handling is clear indication of Ford is listening to the enthusiast keenly at last.
9. Better than current crop of competitors
The head on competitors are Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Charger. For this discussion let’s keep the Hellcat’s and ZL/Z28’s out, because those are not going to be brought to India. Comparing it to the other Camaro’s and Challenger’s Ford’s new Mustang is few light years ahead! And if the speculative render/details of the new Camaro is anything to go by I think Ford will hold on to the lead.
10. Affordable
In USA the 2015 Mustangs retails around approx. $23,800 - $46,170 (approx. Rs 15,00,000 – Rs 29,10,000). Now in India when we get realistic the price translates approximately to Rs 40,00,000 to Rs 60,00,000 because of the CBU duties and the Ford premiums on their Halo car. But on the brighter side it still is one of the affordable sports cars as even the newly launched Audi TT retails for Rs 60.34 lakh and even the Boxter retail for around 80lakhs these days (And that’s before you start ticking option boxes). And for those prices I don’t feel their worth unless you’ve plenty of cash lying around. But if you’re a person like me, the fully loaded 2015 Mustang would be an affordable sports car that we can seriously consider to own with the EcoBoost model even giving 11kmpl for the 'Desi' in us!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-1.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-2.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-3.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-4.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-5.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-6.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-7.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-8.jpg  

Last edited by johannskaria : 26th April 2015 at 19:07.
johannskaria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 19:40   #98
BHPian

Re: Why 2015 Mustang sports car makes sense for the Indian Auto enthusiast - A fanboy’s ta

All very valid points. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there any credible information that Ford is planning to launch Mustang in India? Several posts on this forum give contradicting views.

2. The estimated price you mentioned (Rs.40,00,000 to Rs. 60,00,000) seem low to me. Did you obtain the pricing from a credible source?

I am not sure how/what will be impacted by the import duty reduction planned for 2017. I remember reading a Times Of India article about this and the prices for supercars mentioned post duty reduction were mouth watering. Can anyone shed some light on this as well?

Cheers,
Saurabh

P.S. If I ever get around buying a sports car, the Mustang will be my pick all day long!
TheDesertRat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 20:13   #99
BHPian

Re: Why 2015 Mustang sports car makes sense for the Indian Auto enthusiast - A fanboy’s ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
All very valid points. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there any credible information that Ford is planning to launch Mustang in India? Several posts on this forum give contradicting views.

2. The estimated price you mentioned (Rs.40,00,000 to Rs. 60,00,000) seem low to me. Did you obtain the pricing from a credible source?

I am not sure how/what will be impacted by the import duty reduction planned for 2017. I remember reading a Times Of India article about this and the prices for supercars mentioned post duty reduction were mouth watering. Can anyone shed some light on this as well?

Cheers,
Saurabh

Well Ford Chief executive Mark Fields has confirmed the Indian availability to the company dealers after launching at 2016 Delhi Auto Show.

The estimated prices are my assumptions! But it is 200% markup of the retail prices in USA. (Assuming all 3 variants come to India). But personally I don't see Ford bringing the V6 (V6 is the base variant in Mustang lineup) to India.

Those prices are for the direct imports from EU nations, Japan and South Korea with whom we are currently negotiating the Free Trade Agreements. But it is highly unlikely to meet those duty reductions will be met by 2017 as the Indian Automotive Lobby is against such move and the negotiations have not progressed much under the NaMo government.
Old 26th April 2015, 21:40   #100
BHPian

Wonderful thread! Agree with all of your points.

There definitely is a market for brash-blue blooded slab of American automotive history. The Mustang has been at the receiving end of some serious stick for it being a bit of a show-off; but at that price, I'd say that is max show-off for the buck! If your calculations are right, heck, add another 10L on top for good measure - a V8 Mustang for 75 odd lakhs should be a brilliant offering.

The engine offerings should be similar to what is offered in the UK: a 2.3l ecoboost and that 5.0 V8.

Bring it on Ford!

PS: Ford, if you decide to plonk in only the EcoBoost - you might as well ride that pony back home!

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 22:14   #101
BHPian

Just read in May's autocar issue that the mustang will debut at 1cr, that's the price for the lowest spec'd mustang, the 2.3L v6 eco-boost. They generally are not far from the exact price but will have to wait till it's launched.

PS: would love it and probably buy it, IF it's launched around 60L (unlikely though)
Old 26th April 2015, 22:43   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

There definitely is a market for brash-blue blooded slab of American automotive history.If your calculations are right, heck, add another 10L on top for good measure - a V8 Mustang for 75 odd lakhs should be a brilliant offering.

The engine offerings should be similar to what is offered in the UK: a 2.3l ecoboost and that 5.0 V8.

PS: Ford, if you decide to plonk in only the EcoBoost - you might as well ride that pony back home!

Cheers!
Cartman
The market is very much there, for even at 75 lakh for a V8 manual car like mustang it gives full VFM!

Hopefully they will stick to the UK market strategies in India.
Their V8 is quite a hoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post
Just read in May's autocar issue that the mustang will debut at 1cr, that's the price for the lowest spec'd mustang, the 2.3L v6 eco-boost. They generally are not far from the exact price but will have to wait till it's launched.

PS: would love it and probably buy it, IF it's launched around 60L (unlikely though)
1cr seems so unlikely !
Even in US markets Mustang retails below Porsche Boxter. (Almost half of the Boxter price)
I think in this case Autocar has got it wrong as their price assumption is more than 400% of the US prices which are unlikely!

Me too would love it my assumed prices are right!

Last edited by johannskaria : 26th April 2015 at 23:12.
Old 27th April 2015, 00:06   #103
Team-BHP Support

You forgot to mention that Mustang is finally available in right hand drive. All previous Mustangs were left hand drive, and was not sold in UK & Australia either.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 00:21   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You forgot to mention that Mustang is finally available in right hand drive. All previous Mustangs were left hand drive, and was not sold in UK & Australia either.
My bad! My apologies!

Thank you for pointing it out. Will be careful next time!
Old 27th April 2015, 00:44   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post

1 cr for the 2.3 ecoboost makes no sense at all. I'd rather import the GT V8 from the UK. Its for 33,000 £ in the UK and even if you triple that, it will touch 1 cr.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed