Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 10:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

I hope to God they don't change the iconic design of the muscular Mustang before they bring it to India and call them India-specific changes. We've come to love the raw, brute and macho appeal of the Mustang and that's what we want to see on our roads!

And Ford, please consider bringing in the Shelby, albeit in a limited quantity, while you're at it. 5.8 V8 is pure awesomeness!
Old 6th September 2013, 10:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

They should just be getting the top end V8s and those BOSS editions. It's their halo car, they're not looking for numbers here, but still expect to see more of it on our roads than the new Fiesta at least! :-)
AyAn! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 11:35   #18
BHPian

Why cant we have our own RWD muscle car built in India itself for less than 10-12 Lacs?
Mustang is going to be super pricey and just a dream for most of us. If only we had a nice 3.0 l diesel with all the power going to the rear, in colors like red, yellow, green, black etc and a very traditional shape, it would have been awesome. Cut cost wherever they want to, skip all the gadgetry except an AC and ABS, put rims instead of alloys, bare basic simple interiors, least curves in the panels. I really wish someday we get a car like this !
Old 6th September 2013, 12:18   #19
BHPian

The best thing this can do to ford is upgrade their image in the minds of the customers.
Recently, during a converstation with a fellow chevy beat owner, I elucidated that the only way chevy can elevate its image is by bringing its big guns over here in india. This might help build their brand in the minds of the younger audience and may influence the decisions of their lower end portfolio.

I am glad that ford is using this strategy and i am sure this would work well.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:20   #20
BHPian

Awesome news from the Ford front. The Mustang is an icon for Americana. If Ford price it well, say a 4 cylinder ecoboost for around 16-18 lakhs, this car can surely find 30-40 homes per month. Me thinks that the V6 and V8 variants should not sell for higher than 30 and 40 lakhs for it to be a slight success. The Boss and Shelby variants can definitely have their premiums owing to their amazing engine improvements.
The Mustang is a car known for its sweet, orgasmic exhaust note and straight line handling. In handling it is left biting the dust by the European beauties. But with that engine, who cares? . I sincerely hope Ford has a BMWesqu fancy exhaust system to make the EcoSport 4 cylinder sound as good as the V8. And I sincerely hope Ford does not launch a diesel mustang for our market .
Old 6th September 2013, 14:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There's no doubt that the Mustang will be a great success in India. Movies have epitomized the model and most Indians who travel to the US just *have* to at least click a picture in/with one!

It's going to be a rich boy's toy though; 2-doors aren't exactly the flavor in India.

If only they can have a good price point and a capable A.S.S.
Movies have epitomized the Shelby Mustang( 1965-66 model) , not the latest models. It will only be a rich boy's toy.

Its a entry level sports car and not a saloon. How can you expect it to have 4 doors ? People will not reject it for having 2 doors. Infact the majority of people who will buy this car would be the ones who wouldn't care busting 25-35 lakhs as their 3rd or 4th car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Will it be suitable for our curvy roads? A fellow bhpian, who owned two when he was in the US, said they handled poorly, unlike European Fords. However, they are fantastic in straight line.

Anyways, good to know that Ford is bringing this iconic car to India.
Curvy roads ? First you need to worry about the speed breakers. Having owned a mustang, I can safely tell you that they would need to really get some serious ground clearance modifications done on this car. Else, it probably won't survive more than few weeks on Indian roads.

Regarding handling, the one I had did just fine. Its an entry level sports car. So it has its drawbacks. It wasn't really comfortable for long trips. But for short 100 mile runs, it was bearable.

I am not sure about European fords, so will not comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
If they can bring in the v6 within 40lakhs. It would be really awesome. All iconic sports
Cars like the evolution , 370z haven't really performed that good in our market. The main reason being the pricing and petrol :P Lets see how ford faces this challenge!
Cars like evolution, 370z are also priced on the 15+ region. There aren't too many vehicles that sell like hot cakes above this region.
Also a person who spends 25+ lakh on his weekend getaway car will not really worry about petrol prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Wait, end of 2014 is the launch of the EcoBoost Mustang right ? We'll get that probably. Mustang with a 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine.

I remember the Mustang being bashed a lot in Top Gear for having a great engine and great nothing else. Wonder how it'll do in India though, because at the expected price of around 30 lacs it should have no competition as far as the kilowatt factor is concerned.
Yeah, I think we will end up getting the ecoboost one. It will not be a muscle car with an ecoboost engine.

Well at around 30 lakhs, it will sell few cars here and there. But it won't set the charts on fire. Post 25 lakhs, the majority seem to be 3 types of buyers.
1) Porkiticians ( Audi's , BMW, Mercs, Fortuners)
2) Rich businessmen with money to burn ( Audi's , Mercs, BMW)
3) Kids of the above 2 ( high end sports cars, BMW, Mercs, Audi's)

Last edited by dreadknight5 : 6th September 2013 at 14:07.
Old 6th September 2013, 15:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Will it be suitable for our curvy roads?
American's don't make sports cars. They make muscle cars that are meant for straight line performance. The only real American sports car is the Corvette..
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 17:13   #23
BHPian

Wow it's a dream car no doubt and unfortunately if it comes with a heavy price tag only the rich kids will enjoy here in India. But in U.S one can easily buy Ford Mustang from the used car market. My friend who lives in Virginia, U.S. has bought one shiny black Ford Mustang Convertible and I am attaching the pictures here:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-ford1.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-ford2.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-ford3.jpg  

Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Wow.... now thats something I will definitely buy someday. Can't help but post a pic of mine with one.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-mustang.jpg  

Old 6th September 2013, 19:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Lol you are expecting too much my friend. I have always observed one thing from my experience in Bahrain that the price is always up by 1.5-2times in india. For example the accord in bahrain is available between 10-12lakhs whereas in india for 22lakhs. The mustang in Bahrain was maybe a lakh and half more than the v6 accord.(13k bhd I guess)
The v6 is here for about 27-28lakhs. So the mustang would be definitely 30+lakhs
Localisation for a petrol sports car that too in india? :O :P
Correct me if my above calculations are wrong?

Asit
Even I took the same example of Accord in US , it starts around $22,000 for base, but the one offered in India is high end which cost around $25,000 here and sells in India for 22 lakhs.I am not sure why V6 cost so much in Bahrain.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post

Even I took the same example of Accord in US , it starts around $22,000 for base, but the one offered in India is high end which cost around $25,000 here and sells in India for 22 lakhs.I am not sure why V6 cost so much in Bahrain.
Well I guess you got my words wrong. The v6 in india costs about 27-28 lakhs. In Bahrain it is Not more than 12lakhs (INR). Roughly 10-12k BHD. The mustang for 13k bhd! Roughly 13-14laks INR.
Old 6th September 2013, 20:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Original Mustang was a sporty product designed for the American masses and was reasonably priced. Can't they do something similar as part of the 50th anniversary! That's the only way I might afford one.

I guess India has reached a similar stage in automobile evolution that US was in the 60s.
Old 6th September 2013, 23:43   #28
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
Yeah, I think we will end up getting the ecoboost one. It will not be a muscle car with an ecoboost engine.
Well, the current Mustang's naturally aspirated V6 isn't a muscle car either. It's a pony car. And the 205KW 2.0L i4 EcoBoost engine does qualify as a pony car. And the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost producing 272KW is a muscle car engine as it beats current naturally aspirated V8 engines.

Besides, what is the point of bringing in a bigger engine than the 2.0L EcoBoost to India ? The Mustang neither has GC to handle Indian roads, nor stability to handle Indian curves. Its USP is the classic marquee, poser looks, killer exhaust note (I hope the EcoBoost sounds as good as the V6) and the "feel good" factor, all from an Indian perspective. Launching both the 2.0L and the 3.5L engines in India will be suicidal, because hardly anyone will buy the bigger engine, and launching just the 3.5L engine (or worse, the Shelby Supercharged V8) will price it really high up and force Ford to give up a good price advantage. I think going CBU with the 2.0L EcoBoost plus a nice body kit (rear spoiler, race stripe and flashy colors) and targetting a 25 to 30 lacs ex-showroom should be the safest bet. Later if demand is higher, they can always go the CKD route and bring the price closer to 20 lacs ex-showroom.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

All I could think of, was the enthusiasm and excitement we had on the news of Evo X getting onto Indian roads.
Which then heightened by its eventual launch and immediate downfall with the pricing and final pulling off the plug.
Hope that will not be the case with this.

This quote from Rehaan sums it well;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Mitsubishi has been talking about bringing in the EVO X for a few years now, and enthusiasts have been listening intently.

25 lakhs - wow. 30 lakhs - I want one! 35 - not bad. 3 years later, 49.95 lakhs, and it's here. Ex-showroom of course. I’m not sure how many enthusiasts are still listening.

Last edited by sarathlal : 7th September 2013 at 11:18.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 21:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Will it be suitable for our curvy roads? A fellow bhpian, who owned two when he was in the US, said they handled poorly, unlike European Fords. However, they are fantastic in straight line
i own a 2014 ed and bet its the best handler. its a "drivers" car and a true ford prodigy.

Last edited by scorp 1 : 12th September 2013 at 21:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed