Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 11:35   #136
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
OMG guys ! We have had it, prepare your dreams to be shattered as this car is definitely going to cross a CRORE mark
Was about to post a similar comparison. Merc E63 AMG with a lower landed cost than both the M4 & Mustang costed Rs 1.55 cr OTR, Mumbai last year! Not sure what the E63 costs as of today.
CLS 250 cdi with a landed cost of around Rs 16 lakh via Bombay Sea was launched at Rs 76.5 lakhs ex-showroom!
I guess we'll have to wait & see how Ford prices the Mustang here.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG guys ! We have had it, prepare your dreams to be shattered as this car is definitely going to cross a CRORE mark ......

& when launched M4 was finally priced @ 1.25 Crore (ex-showroom)

Now the Mustang is imported at unit cost of INR 35.75L
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Another member Shivjeet had a very good explanation. The Mustang has been flown in by air cargo, which probably raises the cost a fair amount. The M4 comes in by sea. So when the Mustang comes in by sea the price will be a fair amount lower. Though I expect the Mustang V8 to still just about cross the crore mark on road.
Calm down guys, Ford imported the top spec 'GT premium', that's almost 50% more expensive than the base Mustang and that too by air freight. I also have a doubt the test car had diagnostic equipment and additional parts clamped on adding to its import value.

The M4 is a far more expensive car than the V8 Mustang.

The 5 litre V8 GT starts at £33k in the UK. Cars imported from the US have higher import duties/taxes than EU (read German) imports. Despite this the base M4 is £57k here. Add some necessary options to the list and the M4 is almost TWICE the price of a V8 Mustang. Even more enticing is that the 310 hp Ecoboost base model Mustang is £29k.

Until and unless Ford India announces the Mustang prices we cannot be sure but I have a strong feeling it will much less than a crore.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

Guys. Just a query from my side. Can someone buy a mustang at USA and ship it here and register it? Say I get it for $25000+ $2000 shipping and $25000 import tax. Still at $52000 = rs. 33.28 lakh approx it will be cheaper than 1 crore. Has any t-bhp member got a car from offshore? If yes I'd like to know his/her experience.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:44   #139
BHPian

It doesn't make sense for the car to cost 35L pre-tax. That would mean the cost is $60,000-$65,000 give or take.
The Mustang GT retails for $33,000 and with all the bells and whistles possible I doubt it crosses the $50,000 mark. Maybe it's a mistake on the website.

On another note, I hope the car is launched by year end. Any information on when the the car launch is expected?
BraveArc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:55   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Guys. Just a query from my side. Can someone buy a mustang at USA and ship it here and register it? Say I get it for $25000+ $2000 shipping and $25000 import tax. Still at $52000 = rs. 33.28 lakh approx it will be cheaper than 1 crore. Has any t-bhp member got a car from offshore? If yes I'd like to know his/her experience.
You won't get an rhd Mustang in the US. And any car costing under 40,000usd needs to be homogolated. Sadly what you are suggesting is very difficult.
Old 29th May 2015, 13:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You won't get an rhd Mustang in the US. And any car costing under 40,000usd needs to be homogolated. Sadly what you are suggesting is very difficult.
OK. Thanks for that. Unnecessarily got my hopes high. Not that I can afford a mustang at even that price!

But yes if I spot a Mustang in a nearby Ford dealership, I'm definitely going to ask for a test drive. The thing I like about the Mustang is that it is a car that an average guy can afford it (at least in USA) . Audi, BMW etc are simply too expensive and just a dream car for many. I hope Ford surprises us and launches it for 20-25lakh. Even if they don't make money on it, they will sell a few and many people will flock to their dealerships to at least check it out and buy it's smaller siblings perhaps.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 13:49   #142
BHPian

Ford Mustang to make its way to India

I think the prices shown on Zauba must be the price that these companies declare as the value of the car. Mostly the Germans are priced very low on Zauba as I have noticed. To be specific Mercedes imports the GL63,ML63 and E63, all at 30 lakhs. Keep in mind that the E63 retails at a 100,000$ in the U.S. which is 62 lakhs.

Assuming they pay 200% (not sure how much the duty is) the amount on 30 lakhs, it comes up to be 90 lakhs at max. Then these cars retail at 1.8, 1.5 and 1.4 respectively. Now they have at least a 50 lakh margin on the E63 and more on others.

I feel they undervalue these cars, or maybe declare them for the factory price or the cost at which these are built. This way they end up paying less duty on the import and cover up their loss of undervaluing the car from the 50 lakh profit they just made on the E63 for example. Again this is just how I think they do it, because there is no reason why all 3 of them are priced the same on Zauba other than them undervaluing them.

Can't comment on what Ford is up to with their Mustang import pricing currently but I'm sure it'll be all good when it retails. 😊
Shivjeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 18:44   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG guys ! We have had it, prepare your dreams to be shattered as this car is definitely going to cross a CRORE mark

Reason / comparison;

BMW M4 when imported the unit cost was INR 32.03L

Attachment 1376127

& when launched M4 was finally priced @ 1.25 Crore (ex-showroom)
Now isn't that a case of fraud by undervaluing the car ? No way an M4 costs 32 Lakhs.

So BMW first pays less tax to the Indian government and secondly they swindle the amount back from the customer who purchases it at full marked up price. BMW should be
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 21:12   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quoting from one of posts in another thread

Assessable values of Imports is based on Transfer Rates between Parent company & Indian branch & has not much to do with selling prices ( these are typically production cost prices without any overheads ) , this especially in Auto segment is a grey area , nowhere in world C Class is sold at Euro 15,000 that too with such high features . They are transferring these units at much lower rates to save on duties and taking off the profits from India by way of royalties instead of paying higher custom & excise duties

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-ex-delhi.html
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:04   #145
BHPian

A little research tells me that the car costs around $40,000 for the top spec in the US which is roughly 24 lakhs rupees. And if I remember right, there's a 120% tax for cars being imported into the country (someone please correct me if I am wrong) which should then put the showroom price of the Mustang at around 55 lakhs, round it off to 60. Some other people have estimated a 1 crore price, and I really hope they are wrong!

But there's one thing that still gives me hope. American cars usually cheaper than their European counterparts and the Mustang is no different. Sports car performance for 3/4th the price has been a great selling point after all. And unlike the Ferraris and Lamborghini's, Ford has a manufacturing plant which is up and running. If they could manufacture the car here, the prices should be within reach for many of us.

Overall though, I am kinda really frustrated. The government still considers cars to be a luxury and therefore taxes the hell out of the industry. The rich simply don't care, the average buyer buys whatever is within his budget and it is us petrolheads who are left in the cold.
Old 6th June 2015, 16:00   #146
Senior - BHPian

Review for the Mustang Ecoboost is out & it's being a very serious drivers car.

Quote:
Last time I drove something with steering this sharp and fast and instantaneous, it was a $165,000 Porsche 911 GT3. So ya, it’s pretty fricken good.
Source: 2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost by autos.ca
Old 7th June 2015, 10:25   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
A little research tells me that the car costs around $40,000 for the top spec in the US which is roughly 24 lakhs rupees. And if I remember right, there's a 120% tax for cars being imported into the country (someone please correct me if I am wrong) which should then put the showroom price of the Mustang at around 55 lakhs, round it off to 60. Some other people have estimated a 1 crore price, and I really hope they are wrong!

But there's one thing that still gives me hope. American cars usually cheaper than their European counterparts and the Mustang is no different. Sports car performance for 3/4th the price has been a great selling point after all. And unlike the Ferraris and Lamborghini's, Ford has a manufacturing plant which is up and running. If they could manufacture the car here, the prices should be within reach for many of us.

Overall though, I am kinda really frustrated. The government still considers cars to be a luxury and therefore taxes the hell out of the industry. The rich simply don't care, the average buyer buys whatever is within his budget and it is us petrolheads who are left in the cold.
Manufacturing the Mustang here is highly unlikely since it's their Halo car and even if they did they are not going to pass on the benefits to us.

You are close with the pricing really , 60-70 Lakhs could be the price for the GT V8 model but we can't say for sure till Ford announces it. Ford must remember to price it really low compared to it's German rivals which all cost in the 1 crore ball park so relatively 60-70 Lakhs is still a bargain price I guess.
Old 8th June 2015, 11:54   #148

So, I know the UK Ford Mustang is priced from 29,000 GBPs. That's around 28 Lac Rupees. I know the UK has roughly 30% Taxation on cars so that makes the basic price around 19.5 Lac for the car. I know the US has the mustang selling for around 25,000 USD ( 16 Lacs) but I used the UK price becase the car being RHD, what generally is more expensive to produce for Ford. I think Fords are making these all in the USA so I hope its a pretty accurate figure. I think CBU import taxes are around 125% what includes exise tax etc. (I THINK) so accurately the cost should be around 43-45 Lacs?
Old 14th June 2015, 17:43   #149
BHPian

I had the opportunity to meet the Head of Ford Vizag today who is a family friend. And he had some news regarding the Mustang.

According to him the Ecoboost is to be priced around the 40 lakh mark. No news on the V8 pricing. And launch is scheduled for Jan or Feb 2016.

And Off-Topic, He had lot of praise for the new Endeavour and said that we would be pleasantly surprised with the pricing.
civ4647 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 11:15   #150
BHPian

Dude,

I hope this is true.

Any other comments from any other member?

- any Ford India guys?
- do dealers have insights on upcoming models, pricing?

If this is true, I will stay away from buying this year and hold myself out for a mustang, come 2016.

- nucliomaniac
Closed Thread

Most Viewed