Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 22:26   #241
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Hell you can get a supercharged Audi S5 for 70 Lakhs. Why would anyone look at Mustang at this price range or above ?
Looks, power, torque, sound! With all due respect, even the more powerful Audis aren't that involving to drive. The steerings are dead, and you don't feel connected with the car. The Mustang is better in that respect.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 23:00   #242
BHPian

Mustang GT in India...wow...Ford is trying their heart out to take a slice of Indian market and this move would be to increase their brand value. But they need to be very careful with pricing and can't go over 50-55L ex as anything above that prospective customers might start looking into German luxury cars. Ford Mustang's global image is an affordable sports car...so Ford can't pitch it against the BMWs...Mercs...Audis...etc.
Old 22nd January 2016, 00:50   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Looks, power, torque, sound! With all due respect, even the more powerful Audis aren't that involving to drive. The steerings are dead, and you don't feel connected with the car. The Mustang is better in that respect.
What I was meaning to say is that Ford is not a luxury brand, it never was and never will be. Pricing their car's at 70 Lakhs and above is just ridiculous no matter how iconic the Mustang is.

Audi's on the other hand have a much better brand image than Ford and hence their pricing is justifiable and it's not like even their car's in this price range is all show and no go.

So no matter how good the Mustang is , pricing it with the Uber luxury brands is
Old 26th January 2016, 19:31   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Two Ford Mustangs 5.0 Gt Coupe's 2016 have just arrived in India on 15th Jan 2016. So the launch is evident. The expected price according to OD is 50-60 Lacs.
Looking at the import cost of the GT Coupe, I'm assuming the price will be somewhere between 62.95-64.95 ex showroom.

So 70-75 on road. Sounds a little bit too expensive!
Old 27th January 2016, 08:30   #245
BHPian

Mustang will be a 'dud' from day one. It won't fly off the shelf no matter the cult following it has. I remember Lancer EVO meeting the same fate.
Instead of such adventure, Ford can try brining other models relevant to India. They have such solid lineup of affordable SUVs and great Sedans.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Mustang will be a 'dud' from day one. It won't fly off the shelf no matter the cult following it has. I remember Lancer EVO meeting the same fate.
Instead of such adventure, Ford can try brining other models relevant to India. They have such solid lineup of affordable SUVs and great Sedans.
Not sure with what certainty you say this. I personally know of a few who are waiting for this reach India. reason?
a)They have driven it in US and love it
b) its very modd'able. the tuner community is huge
c) Simpler to work with compared to a Porsche Cayman that can come by at a little bump in budget.
d) muscle car looks that some do find charming.

So this will be the low volume niche segment. I take it you are not in this niche. I get it.
Different folks, different strokes.
14000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 18:40   #247

Mustang to be launched in India tomorrow

It is expected that Ford will finally be launching the Mustang tomorrow at the Auto Expo.

Quote from http://auto.ndtv.com/news/ford-musta...morrow-1270555

"Ford Mustang, that iconic car that has evaded India for so long, will finally be launched here tomorrow. Currently in its 6th generation, the Mustang will also make an appearance at the 2016 Auto Expo. One must note, while the classic American pony car is offered in two body types, fastback and convertible, across international markets, India will get the fastback model - at least for now.
To arrive here via the CBU (Completely Built Unit), the Ford Mustang will be offered with only one engine option, namely the 5.0L V8. The V8 puts out 435bhp and 524Nm and will come mated to a 6-speed SelectShift automatic gearbox with steering-mounted paddle shifters in all probability.

Other than the lines and curves typical to Mustang, the car will also get signature HID head-lamps, LED tri-bar tail-lamps with sequential turn signals, and dual exhaust pipes as standard. Inside, standard provisions will include bucket seats, leather-trimmed steering wheel with secondary audio and speed controls and tilt/telescoping steering column, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror."
MikeRX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 18:51   #248
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mustang to be launched in India tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRX View Post

It is expected that Ford will finally be launching the Mustang tomorrow at the Auto Expo.
Wow my jaw literally dropped on the Mac's keyboard when I read that MikeRX

Considering its a monstrous engine, I really wonder what sort of tax will be levied on this Stallion.

Irrespective of the above, I am quite sure some luck chaps out there will have three cheque books ready to bring home 'The Beast' !!
Old 27th January 2016, 19:48   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Tomorrow is 28/1/16 and the Auto Expo is scheduled from Feb 5th onwards. The article looks very vague to me.
Old 27th January 2016, 19:55   #250
Senior - BHPian

If Ford wanted to sell this car to regular(!) public they would have also launched it in lower trims (2.3 Ecoboost / 3.7 v6) .
This shall purely be a halo car like Nissan 370Z. Perhaps a toy for the Indian 1 percenter.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 20:02   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If Ford wanted to sell this car to regular(!) public they would have also launched it in lower trims (2.3 Ecoboost / 3.7 v6) .
This shall purely be a halo car like Nissan 370Z. Perhaps a toy for the Indian 1 percenter.
Exactly.

Actually, there seems to be another article in the same portal which says that the other variants will also be launched - but then that article is dated April 2015 so not sure which one of the two articles (old or new) to believe. Excerpts below:

"Ford India will launch the Mustang in three engine options - a 2.3-litre EcoBoost, 4-cylinder (305bhp, 406Nm), a 3.7 V6 (300bhp, 365Nm) and a 5.0-litre V8 (420bhp, 528Nm). All the engines will be offered with a 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic gearboxes. Though the company hasn't revealed the pricing details yet, we expect it to be priced around Rs.50 lakh"

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/ford-musta...o-india-751481
Old 27th January 2016, 20:07   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Lancer was a 'dud' because ..
  • It was launched at 50L ex-showroom, very high even for 2016, and that was in 2011!
  • It was a Mitsubishi in India. The company doesn't have cash, a product pipeline, or even a strategy or plan of action for India.
  • It was launched with 6 months warranty. Not very inspiring from a company with a dismal Service network and an equally poor commitment to the Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Not sure with what certainty you say this. I personally know of a few who are waiting for this reach India. reason?

+1.

Not to mention, the new, now global Mustang has an all new rear suspension and the handling is said to be much more sorted. Overall, the reviews are very positive - it's a much more refined car and a whole step forward from its predecessor.

Quote:
b) its very modd'able. the tuner community is huge.
c) Simpler to work with compared to a Porsche Cayman that can come by at a little bump in budget.
+1 to (b)

on (c) and (d),

Not sure why you're even comparing the Mustang to the Cayman; that's at an ex-showroom of 1Cr+. The more expensive GTS is way short of 350 horses, but would stick to the track like glue - the two are chalk and cheese in character.

In fact, the beauty of the Mustang is in its being a muscle car. A very different (and new to India) segment compared to the pansy sports cars that are available at sub-Cr. in India.

Personally, as an avid "Jeeper" cum sports car enthusiast, I am immensely interested in the vehicle. Turns me on so much more than similarly or higher priced TT's, Z4's, and smaller Porche's.

Like I've said before, this is going to be about pricing. If Ford can get that right, they've got a winner on their hands.

EDIT:

Ford is organizing a Press-launch for the Mustang tomorrow at Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium. A friend has an invite. Sadly, I am in day - long meetings and will have to pass.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th January 2016 at 20:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged
manveet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 22:00   #253
BHPian

Quote:
b) its very modd'able. the tuner community is huge

So this will be the low volume niche segment. I take it you are not in this niche. I get it.
Different folks, different strokes.
I'm very much in the niche since I own a Skoda Yeti that hardly sells but I personally like it for various reasons. I personally 'owned' mustang in US between 2003-2007,during my L1 stay. But, is Mustang really worth 70lacs (as speculated) in India?? Well, maybe yes or maybe not. I'll not debate further. Let ford launch Mustang in India and we see the monthly sales figures.
Old 28th January 2016, 02:45   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post

Not sure why you're even comparing the Mustang to the Cayman; that's at an ex-showroom of 1Cr+. The more expensive GTS is way short of 350 horses, but would stick to the track like glue - the two are chalk and cheese in character.

Right said. not the apt comparison. some of my friends with the cheque books ready were till now contemplating on buying the Cayman which is why it was on top my head. While still on that topic, if it's about track, Cayman is it..Mustang is quite a handful. I'm not sure about the current version though.

Quote:
I'm very much in the niche since I own a Skoda Yeti that hardly sells but I personally like it for various reasons. I personally 'owned' mustang in US between 2003-2007,during my L1 stay. But, is Mustang really worth 70lacs (as speculated) in India?? Well, maybe yes or maybe not. I'll not debate further. Let ford launch Mustang in India and we see the monthly sales figures.
there you go. time will tell whether or not it will succeed. the few that want to buy will be well served though.

fitting the Mustang into Ford's India business model, I see it as all gain for Ford if it sells even a few each month since it is not a volume model and their costs to get it into market and take it out is quite less. relatively of course.

coincidence - saw this parked next to my car earlier this evening.

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-dsc_0154.jpg

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-dsc_0155.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:18   #255
BHPian

Today is the day. Stay tuned guys will definitely let you know all the information. I am at the dealer meet only.
ksgehlot is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed