Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 16:19   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Well in India it would have sold on the VFM tag. Rather it would sell on its uniqueness, exclusivity and the freshness it brings to the market. Also the tagline of "all time American muscle car" means that it will find a lot of kids born with golden spoons as its obvious customers.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 16:50   #362
Senior - BHPian

What a pricing. Even if they sell 3 cars a year they will sell it at 100% margin and thats pretty much what they want at this point. The cheaper V6 options should roll out soon and the GT350R series with RHD should also be out exclusively for those who are searching for that price point.

They dont have a dodge competition or a Chevrolet camero which makes it exclusive muscle car if you want to buy now. What a pricing
Old 12th July 2016, 17:01   #363
Senior - BHPian

So your looking at at least 90L here in Mumbai for this massive V8.
We have missed so many awesome versions earlier. Now now finally we have this. The current and latest version.

aviation-inspired interiors and then u just give a couple of switches.

Waiting to see one on our roads.
Old 12th July 2016, 18:10   #364
evo
BHPian

Actually, its an honest price (within the realm of our high duties). And even if a BHP per rupee value comparison maybe a tad simplistic, the character per rupee value is quite high. Probably only a Thar beats it !

Plus, its real. In the sense that it has the Performance Pack with the staggered wheels, the fancy all american special axle ratio and a really fully loaded interior. Granted that the quality levels esp for the interior will be lower than a TT or a Z4. But, hey! Gimme a Mustang any day over a TT or a Z4 ! And that too this is the Coyote. I`d even pick an EcoBoost over the TT !

Its special. Really special. And its no strip down, tiny engine show car. Its the real thing
evo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:37   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Still, this is a special day for all us muscle car lovers. Can't wait to drive the beast .
GTO, does your above statement mean that we are going to see a drive review or may be even a full official review on Team-Bhp in the coming days/weeks?
farooq817 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:43   #366
BHPian

In Wembly there is bikers cafe which gets crowded with bikes on the weekends. It was mostly like our highway dhabas where we meet and greet and have tea.

On a weekend the cafe was showcasing muscle car. Many owners came with their old and new ones. I was lucky enough to be present there at that time. I have seen atleast 3 versions of the Mustang and can tell you how beautiful they look in flesh

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-img_20160430_175402803.jpg

You wont look at a merc, bmw, audi or even a jaguar if a mustang is standing beside them
Uprasenjit is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 21:30   #367
Senior - BHPian

Its a cult and there is no denying that. It has pedigree, presence and following.
Like mentioned the massive following was in large part due to the amount of thrills it provided for relatively not to many benjamins.
No denying its expensive here but at least its finally here.
Old 12th July 2016, 22:45   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

If one doesn't compare the international pricing, the Mustang is not badly priced for India. It's priced at par with the S5 and gives a v8 like the RS5 that costs double. No doubt the Germans are much better and more premium in most aspects. But I yet see a lot of racer boys who have transitioned from the Octi vrs to 530d finally getting their aspirational first v8 with the Mustang.
There aren't any options as sexy and unique at this price.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 23:34   #369
BHPian

It was time we all got to hear some music on the road. It has been quite a wait though.
I hope the deep grumble remains the same.
Old 13th July 2016, 00:37   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, it's out! I personally think the previous version looked a lot more butch and this looks a lot more "stylish"; not something I'd associate with a muscle car. This is one of those few cars which will make you grin like a stupid boy which most Germans can only dream of.

My only hope is whoever buys the car treat it with respect and NOT feature in the crash videos and pics any time soon. That's been the trend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Interiors of the Mustang...
And the little Figo / Aspire gets the same headlight switch (I don't want to mention it the other way obviously) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
It was time we all got to hear some music on the road. It has been quite a wait though.
I hope the deep grumble remains the same.
PS: I still feel so bad about missing an opportunity to grab a Shelby GT for a drive when I was in Muscat 3 years back. Probably that's the closest I'd ever come to a Mustang!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th July 2016 at 00:39.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 00:56   #371
BHPian

Guys slightly OT, but if one had to choose between this and the upcoming Jaguar XF considering all aspects including handling (leaving the acceleration aside), what would be your pick?
Old 13th July 2016, 06:05   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Guys slightly OT, but if one had to choose between this and the upcoming Jaguar XF considering all aspects including handling (leaving the acceleration aside), what would be your pick?
An American muscle car with 2 doors vs. a practical 4 door British luxury sedan. They are both so different to bring together and compare without knowing the priorities of the prospective buyer.

Here is the first drive report of the Mustang by ACI.

Excerpts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACI

What’s it like to drive?

Fire up the 5.0 litre V8 and what you hear is more burble than growl, a nod to the ever tightening sound-level norms. But oh, what a burble – it's smooth but with a deep bass to it. What is evident is the instant we leave the pit lane is the acceleration. Well, it’s not exactly neck snapping but just brisk and that’s because the V8 is let down by a slow six-speed automatic gearbox.

Stamp down on large and nicely sprung pedal and the car squats onto its haunches. Braking is handled by discs all round naturally and provide a decent amount of stopping power, but after repeated hard use on the track there were signs of brake fade.

The handling is quite predictable but the car does roll a lot. Remember this is more cruiser than track star. The steering though is a delight with the right amount of weight and good feedback from the road. It’s nicely weighted-up for everyday driving too.

Should I buy one?

At 65 lakh, the Mustang is priced quite well;you get a lot of metal for your money. But for this amount, you can also buy an Audi TT, which is more agile, sportier and better built but what you don’t get is the Mustang’s muscle car character. It’s for the hairy chested enthusiast who likes the idea of having a lot of oomph under the bonnet and the ability to spin the rear wheels with just a flex of the right foot. And apparently there are lots of such enthusiast as the first lot of Mustangs is already sold out.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 07:45   #373
BHPian

Great to see that Mustang is finally in India though at a ridiculous price (Ford’s decision to import it as a CBU is partly to blame for that, hope Ford has done its homework regarding their prospective customers’ “willingness to pay” quotient). With potential sales numbers at less than 500 (my guess) a year after the initial euphoria has died down it probably didn’t make any commercial sense for Ford to assemble it locally. Wish Ford had priced it sensibly at 40-45 L.

Now the customers yearning for a piece of American Muscle Car at least have a choice. Folks looking for refinement levels typically found on machines from Deutschland should look elsewhere.

Though the interiors have been improved quite a lot as compared to pre 2015 version, the plastic quality is nothing to write home about. The rear “Live axle” has finally given way to an independent rear suspension (phew). Seats are great & so is the entertainment system. The striking looks & the large proportions are a head turner for sure especially if you combine it with the flashy Red colour. Those looking to get a view with a long hood will love it. Those who are looking to show off by smoking their tires “line lock” which is part of the Track App suite will come handy whereby you can lock your front wheels electronically & step on the accelerator thus causing the rear wheels to spin & produce a plume of smoke. What that will do to your warranty, I’m not sure (please talk to your local Ford dealer).

Anyone contemplating the purchase please do take it for a long test drive; my humble suggestion.

I was a big fan of this car till I drove one; having rented one in January 2011 (have not driven the current version); my enthusiasm evaporated within couple of hours. With 19 inch wheels I could feel every imperfection on the road & this was on the smooth Napa Valley roads in California. Handling was fairly good (not that I could test that aspect on a freeway). This was at a point when I was ready to plonk my money for one; this driving experience took away all the euphoria.

If you drive a BMW 435i or an Audi S4 or even a MB C 450 after driving a Mustang you will realize what I’m talking about. It feels like driving a Bentley after driving a Chevy.

If you like a big block V8 over everything else & love the baritone rumble, this is the car for you. If you’re going to track it (assuming you can find a track in your city) on the weekends you will love it. If you want a enthusiastic but a refined driving experience, look elsewhere.

My two cents.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 13th July 2016 at 08:07.
Vikram Arya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 08:30   #374
Team-BHP Support

The price is not bad at all. Kudos to Ford for giving us competitive pricing in all its products, from the Endeavour to the Mustang.

At 65l ex showroom, its cheaper than the Z4 and similar to the S5 and the Audi TT. Now the Mustang has a LOT more character than the others, and also a nice big block V8. In terms of BHP for your buck, it beats all the others. But where it will let down, will be the build quality and interior plastics (typical American) and the 6 speed auto.

What its got going for it though, is that there are a HUGE number of bolt on performance upgrades available off the shelf for the Mustang. Everything from exhausts to 800bhp superchargers. I expect to see a lot of Mustang owners modding the cars.

One thing surprising is that Ford seems to have detuned the engine by 35bhp for India, to run on normal fuel. Considering the power output wasn't that high for a 5.0 engine, I would imagine it would have run fine on normal fuel without the detune.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 09:02   #375
BHPian

Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

To each his own I guess.

This V8 is designed to run on 87 octane gas. What you have available in India is officially 91 octane but actually has much lower octane rating on account of contamination (all of you this, right?) & ingression of various foreign particles, poor handling at terminals, transportation practices that are less than stellar and a number of reasons that I do not wish to go into (have spent more than 20 years in oil companies, 10 of which were at an Indian major).

With a compression ratio of 11:1 this engine would have been susceptible to knocking though electronic nannies would intervene. If it came in at a default state of tune the ECU would have intervened & ran the engine at a perpetual state of detune the moment it sensed a poor quality of fuel. Ford did the right thing & detuned it accordingly from get go.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 13th July 2016 at 09:04.
Vikram Arya is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed