Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 08:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Uber smartphone taxi-hailing app makes inroads into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If they have started giving Ford Fiesta's then the USP is lost. Why would I not book a regular Meru/Mega or the new cheaper Meru Genie cabs. The Meru genies have same fare as autos but charge Rs.2/min of idle time i.e. time the car is stationary.

Uber with Ford fiesta's is nearly Rs.20/km + Rs.2/minute for the duration of your ride.

The excitement of getting an Audi/BMW/Merc is gone.
I gave that feedback but they only addressed the AC issue not the fact that this was not a typical Uber Black
Old 6th June 2014, 09:42   #32
BHPian

In Mumbai, I've always got an Innova via UBER. Very well maintained and extremely polite drivers. One Innova even had bottles of Bisleri for the passengers.

Only once did I get an E-Class.

If any TBHP member wants Rs.300 off on their first UBER ride, then signup using this invite code.

https://uber.com/invite/ubersave300
mikem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 11:16   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Our family is a regular on Uber . In March - April, we used their services 16 times.

Was very impressive initially (would give them a 10 / 10). However, using them more frequently & at different times / locations, the cracks began to show (cars not available & exaggerated pick-up times). Now, I'll give Uber an overall rating of 7.5 / 10.

That said, the cars have always been maintained top-class and the drivers extremely courteous. About 60% of the time, we get an Innova or Altis. The other 40% has consisted of a Fortuner, Accord, E-Class, 5-Series, S-Class & the like.

Will put up a detailed review thread as I use them some more & pick up additional points.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 12:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
In Mumbai, I've always got an Innova via UBER. Very well maintained and extremely polite drivers. One Innova even had bottles of Bisleri for the passengers.

Only once did I get an E-Class.

If any TBHP member wants Rs.300 off on their first UBER ride, then signup using this invite code.

https://uber.com/invite/ubersave300
Warning this sign-up link has an unsecured form asking for credit card details. Not sure if it can be trusted.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:23   #35
BHPian

Uber seems all set to grow exponentially and the funding is testimony of investors confidence.

Uber snags $1.2 billion in new funding; seen valued at $18 billion

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0EH21I20140606

Regards,
BL
Old 9th June 2014, 09:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Warning this sign-up link has an unsecured form asking for credit card details. Not sure if it can be trusted.

This 'Warning' thou well intended is without merit, and has been made, without verifying facts. The URL of the invite begins with HTTPS, which means the connection between the browser and website is encrypted.

Everyone who has signed-up for UBER, including some MODS of T-BHP, have used the same site to give their credit card details. UBER itself has used this as its only source of Invoicing for over $1 billion (Approx Rs. 6000 crore) of rides in 2013.

You can simply click the 'LOCK' icon on the left of your browser to get complete security details of the connection. A screenshot of the URL's SSL certificate also confirms that the URL is safe...

Uber smartphone taxi-hailing app makes inroads into India-uber_https.png

gsurya, please take the time to make checks before posting such unfounded warnings for fellow T-BHP members.
Old 9th June 2014, 10:19   #37

I've been using Uber since their launch in Bangalore and i've been really impressed, they even have a Jag in their fleet here !

It paid off big time when my wife had to be picked up and dropped on the day the car was getting serviced, scored major brownie points by having a Merc. rather than the regular (smelly) meru/ola cabs, not to mention a well trained and professional driver :-)

The Uber business model in India is slightly different from other countries - they do not allow anyone to sign-up as a driver. They partner with cab companies and i guess they sign-up their premium vehicles with Uber whenever they're idle. Uber also screens and trains the drivers. This way, Uber does not have to deal with taxi regulations, etc. and it provides higher utilization for the cab companies, win-win !

I've also used Uber in San Francisco, definitely convenient (and cheaper than cabs if you choose UberX). This was a one-off though since i enjoy driving when i'm in the US far too much to take cabs often.

This is the link for my referral code that provide Rs. 300/- credit ($20 in the US) For anyone that wants to sign-up - https://uber.com/invite/w9byq. [Full disclosure: I get Rs. 300/- as well for anyone that signs up and takes a ride with Uber]
RAV1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me share a pleasant experience with Uber abroad. I have used Uber in Mumbai once and was very impressed, to my good luck I got a Q7. I used it in Boston last month and compared fares to the normal cab to find that UberX was indeed cheaper! Uber has different categories and rates of vehicles unlike in India where it's one fee for all. I am sure this will change to the international model soon.

I traveled to London a few weeks later and that's when Uber really impressed me with their service. I order an UberX to take me from Oxford Street to Harrods, this same journey had costed me 9 pounds in a regular black cab the previous day. The driver took me in the wrong direction for 15 minutes and later I realized that I was back at the same spot he picked me up. I did tell him off and since he was guilty he told me he would pay me the additional fare in cash to which I refused. Got out of the cab and rated him 1 star with a complaint in the comments section. Within 12 hours I got a mail from Uber apologizing for the same and said the fare should have been 7 pounds instead of 15 pounds, the difference has been put back in your credit card.
Since Uber does not own the cabs I thought they wouldn't completely take responsibility of the situation however this prompt action was very impressive.

Tip: If you are using Uber abroad, be sure to change your cellphone number to your local one from the settings. You will receive a confirmation SMS after which you can use the service.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 14:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion in the Uber Review Thread

Uber has been seeing a lot of protests in Europe of late by Taxi unions :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-9530061.html.

Ironically , this has increased their registrations !

Last edited by GTO : 14th June 2014 at 10:44. Reason: Adding link to new thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed