Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2016, 21:59   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata cars - Reliability and service?

Today I saw a car on a flatbed. Road was busy hence just managed to notice it for a bit. Did notice it had a wheel missing and oil or fuel. Pic attached. Pic were taken by passengers.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata cars - Reliability and service?-img_20160120_191257_1453307073641.jpg  

Tata cars - Reliability and service?-img_20160120_191247_1453307008960.jpg  

Old 20th January 2016, 22:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Today I saw a car on a flatbed. Road was busy hence just managed to notice it for a bit. Did notice it had a wheel missing and oil or fuel. Pic attached. Pic were taken by passengers.
Could be involved in a accident.

Hard to tell by the pic.

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 20th January 2016 at 22:13.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:21   #183
BHPian

Being the present owner of a TATA Manza Quadrajet (now) and other TATA cars previously, I can safely say that their service quality has improved a few notches. However, they are still far away to achieve the levels of Maruti / Hyundai. In my opinion, it is the combination of several factors that are in need of change at TATA A.S.S. -

1. Proper training. I have seen Service Advisors who have been clueless on diagnosing minor issues.

2. Spares - I did not get stocks of plastic push clips when I wanted a few to keep with me. When I went to the A.S.S for the next service , the moment i saw that they had some, I immediately got a few for my own 'stock'.

3. Efficiency of the Actual Person involved is another point. The SA lists the points and moves off. It now becomes the owner's responsibility - more or less- to goad the actual person working on the car into doing things right. From my own experience, I tend to stand in front of the bay which holds my car and silently observe the activities and gently remind the fellow the jobs listed from time to time.

4. Having a good relation with the SA, the Workshop Manager and the CRM does help to a certain extent. I prefer to get my car serviced by the same SA everytime as he knows what level of service and workmanship I expect.

All in all, TATA is going down the correct path, but too damn slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post

Looks like Zest from the portion visible.
TheStranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 21:33   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Saar, my last post in this thread was in 2013
PS: my indicab in the workshop right now for Suspension overhaul, strut replacement, steering box replacement ... 40K estimated - that's my repair budget for the entire year. blew 50K+ last year on tyres + 3 services (timing belt + 80K service, Alternator overhaul, FIP overhaul etc). Decided to replace the box instead of overhaul, as I had it overhauled in 2014, and this is how long it lasted)
I will not say they're unreliable - my car still hasn't broken down, but damn theyre expensive to maintain (compared to my friends 2005 Wagon R and 2007 santro which run around the same distance and route)
I was aware of the date you posted! There is no reason for you to go to ASS or ASC to get simple things done. The reason some of us like a simple car is because we don't have to depend on the dealer. I am sure you must have all the bills with you. what is the amount you have paid for labour? And premature part replacement. Not so rampant with TATA but still some try to sell you on that. If you must go to the ASS or ASC, make a friend there. It goes a long way.
This is a place where D.I.Y is the norm. There are so many people who contribute. This is a true database. loose the ASS/ASC. I am sure you will spend much less than what you have quoted.

P.s: That car needs more love from you greenie
Old 21st January 2016, 21:58   #185
BHPian

My storme broke down in the heart of Delhi. A call to the 'helpline' promised a tow, for which we waited 6 hours (it's just arriving in 10 minutes, sir!). Then, the tow truck guy stopped responding to phone calls. We just gave up and towed it ourselves to the service center. And we didn't receive any call from the tow truck guy - which obviously means that he didn't come at all. And this was in the heart of delhi - near lodhi road.

Once the car was in the service station though , they fixed it up in a matter of hours.

With Tata, you have to write off service support, keep low expectations. They're technically adept, but really really silly commercially.

I'd rather be in my storme any day than my old Skoda or even my civic. At least I know that once the car makes it back to the station, it will be fixed fairly, cheaply and efficiently as long as I pay attention to what they're doing.
Old 4th February 2016, 20:04   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
My storme broke down in the heart of Delhi.

I'd rather be in my storme any day than my old Skoda or even my civic. At least I know that once the car makes it back to the station, it will be fixed fairly, cheaply and efficiently as long as I pay attention to what they're doing.

Ditto experience for me as well, although this was in 2012. Link to post
On road assistance failed to turn up, in the heart of Bangalore.

Also fully agree with the sense of security of having a break down in a Tata vehicle, in terms of what is bound to follow once it reaches the ASS.
I used to drive a Palio before and it had its own share of scary problems (engine sometimes fails to start due to immobiliser failure, gear lever gets stuck).
The Fiat ASS seemed to have nobody competent enough to isolate the cause of these problems, especially when it came to the electronic aspects of the car. Once, I even took a printout of a Fiat UK forum thread which suggested potential root causes for the immobiliser problem and showed it to the SA, who didn't really seem to have a clue of what I was telling him.

With a Tata vehicle, I am reasonably confident that the competence to find and fix faults is not lacking in the ASS (or atleast, not present only in a faraway foreign country),
but the same cannot be said of their commitment to doing so.
Old 4th February 2016, 21:46   #187
BHPian

With increasing electronics and technically complex components managing important functions in the car (Fuel systems, ECU, braking etc), Tata should revisit their strategy on hiring technicians, keeping them motivated (pay, promotion, incentives) so that customer cars are not victims of any incompetence or demotivation.

Can you ever feel confident when you see the service adviser and the engineer trying to remove the ECU of a Safari Dicor while the engine was running ? Just that i was truly lucky that day ! The technician was arguing that he has done ECU removals when engine was running many times and he knows what he was doing, when questioned.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 00:59   #188
BHPian

Re: Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Well i think the cars may be good but the Sales team does not let you go so far as to experiience them!!

I went to TATA dealer in chandigarh (berkeley motors) when the bolt was launched in Jan 2015. However, the experience at the showroom was really bad and i decided against it.

I needed to get a car now and this time I went to a TATA showroom in panchkula about a week ago to check out the bolt.

The sales guy that attended to me was hopeless. First he did not know the first thing about cars or its features. But was confidently spewing out all kinds of wild theories. One that really shocked me was:
This car has ELECTRONIC power steering, other cars have NORMAL power steering.
I was like what?
Then he says "ill tell you some things about cars". He says most cars have normal power steering where only the rear wheels move. TATA and mercedes have electronic power steering. In Electronic power steering all 4 wheels move...
My jaw really hit the floor! Have not had such crap thrown at my face before.

But i decided to ignore the guy since i would never even have to look at him once i bought the car. But he was really so rude, his tone was so arrogant and harsh that i almost lost it and started moving out of the showroom.
Then he's shouting from behind " car nahin leni na lo, form to bhar jao". I dont know how in this day and age you can behave like this. Someone who has low expectations and really wants to buy a TATA product is also sent back frustrated after coming to the dealer showroom.
I went to NEXA and booked a baleno. (The guy at nexa didnt know much about cars either but at least he was curteous.)

No wonder TATA cars dont sell. I think it will be better if they close all their dealers and get a joint venture with some other company for sales. something like fiat had with TATA. Even if they get step brotherly treatment from the partner it will still be better than what TATA provides. I wonder why TATA does not take note about their sales staff and do something about it.

Last edited by guptavis : 28th March 2016 at 01:01.
guptavis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:19   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
I think it will be better if they close all their dealers and get a joint venture with some other company for sales. something like fiat had with TATA.
Truly said. The amount of effort spent in one phase of the vehicle development does not translate into $$$ if the sales & support do not toe the line. I believe that TATA must be working in this direction - for us, there is no clue on the changing situation on ground.

The TATA FIAT was an interesting story. Every sales call made to buy a Fiat, translated into a TATA sale This put off the Fiat guys big time.
Old 28th March 2016, 10:52   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
I went to NEXA and booked a baleno. (The guy at nexa didnt know much about cars either but at least he was curteous.)
Maruti will not sell if sales guy knowledge is the key to the sales number. I would rate Maruti sales person's knowledge at par with Tata or Mahindra or Honda based on my recent experience. All of them have half baked knowledge of the cars they sell. In fact the person at TATA was most updated in terms of Storme's feature than others in their respective fields.

Having said that, all others are doing good business and sales guy's knowledge does not seem to have any impact on the sales. TATA is doing below average in terms of sales and such experiences will further hamper the numbers.

Coming back to topic, average speed of 120 kmph over 300 hours is indeed impressive.
Old 28th March 2016, 22:00   #191
BHPian

So, people asked Tata marketing to wake up. Now that Tata is working on improving their brand visibility and trying to prove their products' reliability, people are harping on the other issues. *sigh*, we are such a difficult people to appease, at least when it comes to someone else' work! I know this is off-topic, but if we had such great quality people, we would be competing with the Germans and Japanese.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:22   #192
BHPian

Came across this srilankan classifieds where Tata cars were listed for sale.

https://ikman.lk/en/ads/cars-in-sri-lanka-392/tata?page=11

I am posting a couple of screen shots of the listings was shocked to see so many Nanos which have done more than 1,50,000km and one which is closing on to 2.5lakh mark! Finally an Indigo listed done 8,90,000km, I really would like to meet the owner of this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata cars - Reliability and service?-screenshot_20160403201646.png  

Tata cars - Reliability and service?-screenshot_20160403202102.png  

Tata cars - Reliability and service?-screenshot_20160403201736.png  

Tata cars - Reliability and service?-screenshot_20160403201423.png  

Tata cars - Reliability and service?-screenshot_20160403201937.png  

damodar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 19:08   #193
BHPian

Most of the folks who have faced tough time with Tata ASS, owned old gen cars (pre-Zest era) and based on that they criticize Tata cars. Nothing wrong in it. Once you get a sad experience, why would you go back to same brand when other proven and tested cars are available in market.

Coming to new Tata cars: No doubt Tata has improved a lot. The quality of cars launched Zest on wards have been really nice.
And recently concluded Geared For Great Challenge says a lot about it.
So I feel reliability is NOT an issue at least with new gen Tata cars.

Now talking about service, that's a big issue. If only the cars are improving and dealerships aren't, it's not going to help. Tata is trying no doubt about it. Zest was launched with 3-3-3 scheme wherein they don't charge a single penny for servicing not even for oil change also under Gold AMC. Which shows they're trying to gain customer confidence.

But changes don't happen overnight. They're on right path. Hopefully, we would see equally good service from Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I am posting a couple of screen shots of the listings was shocked to see so many Nanos which have done more than 1,50,000km and one which is closing on to 2.5lakh mark! Finally an Indigo listed done 8,90,000km, I really would like to meet the owner of this car.
These numbers speak for themselves, aren't these? Shouting reliability with distance covered
Old 4th April 2016, 22:25   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post

These numbers speak for themselves, aren't these? Shouting reliability with distance covered
Its heartening to see the humble NANO put to such rigorous use. It also shows how preconceived notions and brand perception can damage a product. Sri lanka shows how the Nano should have been promoted here as a safe comfortable intra city public transport which is even more relevant today than six years back when its was launched with unbearable traffic in all our cities.
Old 4th April 2016, 22:54   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I am posting a couple of screen shots of the listings was shocked to see so many Nanos which have done more than 1,50,000km and one which is closing on to 2.5lakh mark! Finally an Indigo listed done 8,90,000km, I really would like to
Pls note that 1 INR = 2.20 Srilankan Rupee
So the prices may not be as juicy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks