Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 13:43   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata cars - Reliability and service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Again.
Xenon XT. DO look it up.
My Apology , you are right.

This Xenon XT is shown under UV in Passenger Cars, but since this belongs to the Xenon Family , may be they are still servicing it Comm Veh outlets. Its all Tata Motors categorization, I feel dealers have least to do here.

We are not talking of dealer competence / cooperation attitude here, its company policy may be they are following.

I am not sure , where the owner has serviced this XT till now in last few years, car or Comm vehicle outlets?.

If the same dealer where he has got it serviced till now refuses to do this work now , its a case worth writing to Tata Motors regional service folks and take the dealer to task.
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Nothing Wrong I can see here ....these Comm and Passenger vehicles are 2 separate business of tata motors. So, one should go to the right place first. The dealer is right in this particular case atleast.

I found your claim/ blame baseless!
Quote:
I know its a Tata Pick up , and sold only through CV outlets. Do look up Tata mOtors website and it clearly sold under the Trucks and Buses category.!
Please see
http://www.tataxenonxt.com/ (passenger segment launched in 2009)
http://www.xenon.tatamotors.com/
(commercial segment launched in 2012)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...e-variant.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-44-lakhs.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I would agree with Mayankk here. The Xenon XT may be sold under the Trucks and Buses category but is actively sold to private customers with a private number plate and 95% of Xenon XTs I have seen on the road are privately owned.

Given that, it is Tata Motors responsibility to ensure delivery of spares and services through channels that can be reached by private customers. Their internal classification is purely that - internal.
100% Xenon XT's are Privet ONLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I actually looked up the website just now before responding. The Xenon pickup is under "Trucks and Buses". However, the Xenon XT, which is the one under discussion here, comes under "Utility Vehicles". That is the same category which covers the Sumo, Safari, Grande, Aria and the category that is sold by their passenger vehicle dealerships.
My Xenon XT has been serviced by Passenger service outlets only.

a reference quote from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post3379309
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Everything you said is correct, except that his 4 rides are not XT's, they are commercial crew cabs (with load carrying capacity more than passenger carrying capacity-as per specs from Tata ).
Xenon XT can also carry as much load as a crew cab, but it has been officially limited by specs from Tata to carry only 270Kg. (270Kg< 4x70=280Kg, i.e 4 passengers apart from driver).
rgds,
Nikhil

edit:

Quote:
I am not sure , where the owner has serviced this XT till now in last few years, car or Comm vehicle outlets?.

If the same dealer where he has got it serviced till now refuses to do this work now , its a case worth writing to Tata Motors regional service folks and take the dealer to task.
Previously serviced by Pandit auto Pune, Sanya motors Aurangabad, Garje authorized Service Center Latur & in Vijayawada (AP) .

Last edited by jeepster : 3rd December 2015 at 14:25.
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:39   #123
BHPian

Tata cars
Reliability- Not too sure , though tata has improved its products , it always does , i dont find the vista upto mark , the manza sells for pathetic prices in the used market in Kolkata so one can very well guess how well the used car market circuit(comprising of dealers , bankers & garages) value the car. The inevitable fan belt noise is common in most tata vehicles and for the heavier ones like safari , sumo excessive tyre wear and tear , alignment issues , suspension problems are very common even now.

Service - Yes it is true that you can get a tata repaired be it andaman or arunachal but the A.S.S they do a pathetic job particularly in my case where to fix a starter motor problem the A.S.S took a long time which meant every once in a while i was busy pushing the heavy indica v2 through crowded traffic signals. The service advisors barely know a thing about the car.
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:39   #124
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
As you can see in my signature, I have owned a TATA in the past. An Indica V2 DLS (2005-2009). TBH, Indica was never my first choice when I decided to buy my first ever vehicle.

But as the car was to be used primarily by my mom (chauffeur driven) and her daily commute to office was roughly 60 kms combined with 10 kms to nearby markets for household chores, we had to get a Diesel. And back in 2005 there weren't many Diesel cars around. Heck apart from Indica I seriously can't recall any other Diesel car, may be the Fiat Palio. Right?

So, while I had made up my mind to get the Tata, many of my family members including Mama's and Chacha's (maternal and paternal uncles respectively) warned me to stay away from a Tata and instead buy a Petrol hatch and get an aftermarket CNG kit installed.

But it was only after spending some months with the car that I started appreciating it and realised that SO MANY folks around me were terribly mis-informed about Tatas, in particular the Indica.

The solid build quality, planted ride and ACRES of space were the highlights of the car that I fell in love with, though the non-turbo engine was a spoiler.

In fact, whenever I drove my cousins'/friends' Santro's and WagonR's, they surely felt peppy because they were Petrols but I always missed my Indica's planted ride and of course the space.

So, why have I written this post?

Apart from sharing my experience, I wanted to express my unhappiness at how so many of fellow T-Bhpians DESPITE knowing the horrors associated with the likes of Skoda and VW ASS still talk about their cars with reverence and look down upon those choosing a City over a Vento or a Swift over a Polo.

What is it please enlighten me?

A German company can fool us, cheat us, take us for a ride but we will continue to be awed by their mediocre line up handful of cars which for god's sake get refreshed head and tail lights every couple of years and are labeled "ALL NEW".

When you buy a car you don't buy it just because the "door closes with a thud" but the after sales service and peace of mind are equally important.

I will admit that I did face some issues with a particular Tata service centre but upon changing to a different one, I never faced any issue. And this, in no way is limited to Tata. I have changed three Maruti service centre's in the last few years for my Swift.

Why can't TATA get a chance to improve?
Sure friend, TATA deserves a fair chance to prove itself. Actually, we indians are so awed by European or Japanese manufacturers that we can easily give them fair chance but not to any of the Indian companies. If we look at horror stories, then Volkswagen auto-mobile group companies would top the list.

In terms of comfort, the comfort level is much better in Indica's/Vistas/Manza's. actually they tell you to "spoil yourself". Yes the area where they need tremendous improvement is their attitude and customer satisfaction both at sales and service points. Also the flip-flop attitude of dealers is a major issue. We have seen many dealers open and shut their shops in no time. These issues bog the minds of normal unsuspecting buyers.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:15   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I DO own a Indica Vista Qjet Aura from the very first batch of 2008.
I must admit you have been very lucky with that indica vista , i know its a lot better when you compare it with a previous gen tata indica with DICOR engine of the DI engine , also at times i wonder how do tyres on a tata lasted for 54k ? I have not been able to complete 20k on a set of 4 apollo on my previous hyundai EON with wheels aligned every 10k kms. Also wipers at 55k , you sure do live in a rain starved area *grins* . Most vista owners i know complain about niggling issues esp the lights in power window switches which goes kaput at around 25-30 k Kms . Shock absorbers lasting for 74k kms is something a little too much for me to believe when you are talking about a vista.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding. Also, members are permitted to use only TWO emoticons per post. Please read the Announcements thoroughly before posting.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2015 at 17:55. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:50   #126
BHPian

Quote:
This is how their after sales service is.
Quote:
Yes, Tata Motors needs to improve its service standards. I am sure they are aware of the issues and are trying to improve the overall customer experience. It will take time though.
The reliability of Tata cars has been a mixed bag in my experience, but mostly positive. We have a 2008 Indica Xeta in the family (with 70k kms) and the repairs on it have exceeded Rs. 1,10,000 in the past 18 months without a single accident. Granted, that car has not exactly been driven smoothly and carefully. On the other hand, my Nano and Manza have not needed a single paid repair till date (except that the Manza's DIS failed, which never ended up getting replaced due to the exorbitant cost/benefit ratio).

My observation has been that Tata are making an effort to improve their after-sales services. Their efforts, however, are dampened due to a number of factors, including:

Just a few days ago, I was at a Tata workshop and after the billing process, the SA asked me to do a couple of signs, one of them being the feedback form (without me actually filling it out). I was not exactly satisfied with their service and hence insisted that I would like to fill out the form myself, to which he had to comply.

Now, the problem is that majority of the people don't really realize the implications of signing the feedback form without filling it out. The service center can conveniently fill out great ratings while providing substandard customer experience. Yes, Tata usually calls the customer post-service for feedback, but too many times I don't end up receiving a feedback call.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 3rd December 2015 at 17:00.
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:59   #127
Senior - BHPian

I currently own a Storme and have owned an Indiaca DLS for close to 7 years and 1.05 K in the past.

Tata products are VFM and have always been so. They are spacious . Where they lacked was in terms of refinement (which has improved by leaps and bounds) the sales and the post sales experience.

Having said that, I found Ford Service to be much poorer compared to Tata (across multiple dealers).

VW has been pulling a fraud world wide and it is a surprise that none of their top honchos have been put behind bars for this scam. Yet people give them a better treatment than a desi manufacturer.

I have owned Maruti's and my personal experience with them with respect to service has been the best.

Tata can do much better, but they are not as bad as they are made out to be.

We Indians generally like to play it safe and go for what every one else goes in for, disregarding options which are possibly better. This creates a cycle which become difficult to break. So old Toyota Qualis's , Innova's, Swifts, & Honda City's command a good resale value even as other models from the same manufacturers find no takers .

Tata has gotten branded (some of it due to its own doing), and despite having decent products have struggled. They may want to to try a differnt strategy like what GM did with Saturn . However, the customer facing people for both sales and service have to be new and not from the existing TML system. The other approach will be similar to waht they are following i.e, keep making good + exciting products and improving the customer experience on a consistent basis.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 3rd December 2015 at 17:02.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:05   #128
BHPian

9 pages of discussions and I am left to wonder. If Tata cars were so unreliable as portrayed by some, why would Taxi operators form a beeline for Indicas. Just looking at the sheer number of Indicas that ply on roads under Ola/Uber banner should mean something. Either Tata SC treats taxi drivers with extra care or there are FNGs that do a damn good job of maintaining all these taxis in running condition even after running for lakhs of KMs.

That said, looking at the condition of some of these cabs, I am pretty sure that the driver cares two hoots about his drive. If it were me, I would be shedding tears of blood.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:09   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
I must admit you have been very lucky with that indica vista , i know its a lot better when you compare it with a previous gen tata indica with DICOR engine of the DI engine , also at times i wonder how do tyres on a tata lasted for 54k ? I have not been able to complete 20k on a set of 4 apollo on my previous hyundai EON with wheels aligned every 10k kms. Also wipers at 55k , you sure do live in a rain starved area . Most vista owners i know complain about niggling issues esp the lights in power window switches which goes kaput at around 25-30 k Kms . Shock absorbers lasting for 74k kms is something a little too much for me to believe when you are talking about a vista.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding

My tyres lasted me 60K kms (GY GT3), with Alignment/balancing only done during service. Wipers I changed on my own once a year though they easily last 2 years or more.
PW switch light - yes, the LED's do sometimes burn out but it is not a dealbreaker - certainly not a reliability issue. I am still on my stock shock absorbers (except front left, which was damaged) at 85K with a smooth ride. My clutch is still OEM, Brakes were changed at 60K, though they still have adequate life.

The other day I travelled in an Ola cab. It was a Vista TDi. The driver said that the car had never let him down. His brother had bought a Liva and then replaced it with a Vista. The image below is for his Vista which had crossed 2 lakh kms without any engine trouble!
Tata cars - Reliability and service?-image1.jpg *sorry for the poor image quality, night time, Pune roads!
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:28   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I must admit you have been very lucky with that indica vista , i know its a lot better when you compare it with a previous gen tata indica with DICOR engine of the DI engine , also at times i wonder how do tyres on a tata lasted for 54k ? I have not been able to complete 20k on a set of 4 apollo on my previous hyundai EON with wheels aligned every 10k kms. Also wipers at 55k , you sure do live in a rain starved area . Most vista owners i know complain about niggling issues esp the lights in power window switches which goes kaput at around 25-30 k Kms . Shock absorbers lasting for 74k kms is something a little too much for me to believe when you are talking about a vista.
Gixxerboy, for you.

84K kms on stock suspension, stock clutch, 50K on the first set of tyres, 65K for the first set of wipers. My bumper has been 'bumped' multiple times (by friends and a couple of occassions by me) but still manages to survive.

One minor irritant on the power windows was a stiff switch which was replaced FOC. Battery replaced at 72K and 45 months. Bulbs replaced last month. Regular services alone carried out.

My earlier car was an Indica V2 Dicor DLG. 167000 kms on 3 sets of tyres. 2 wiper changes and one clutch replacement. Stock shocks, only bushes replaced.

Reliable enough?
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:35   #131
BHPian

[quote=discoverwild;3861845]Gixxerboy, for you.

84K kms on stock suspension, stock clutch, 50K on the first set of tyres, 65K for the first set of wipers. My bumper has been 'bumped' multiple times (by friends and a couple of occassions by me) but still manages to survive.

Sounds too good to be true maybe it has to do a lot with the road conditions , trust me in my part of the country getting 30-40k kms on stock tyres and 50k kms on stock suspensions or clutch , on a TATA is considered impossible (no offence)
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:41   #132
jp1
BHPian

My perception of TATA completely changed after me owing a Nano for the last three years without any issues. It was just that i want to get rid of a 2 wheeler then and news papers at that time had advertisements for trading in a 2 wheeler for a Nano and i just done that. I never owned a TATA before the Nano and never considered owning one due to the perception that Tata vehicles are unreliable, but today I would definitely consider a TATA and its value for money.
jp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:48   #133
BHPian

I own a Tata Indica V2 DLS. She is now 14 years old. Odometer reading currently stands at 1,80,358 kms. I can safely say that it is a pure VFM product. Truly, its a more car per car. It still gives me a consistent mileage of 18+kmpl with AC. If driven with light-foot, the figure hits 21-22kmpl. Yes, I am speaking about a 14year old car. Spare parts are damn cheap. I think they are the cheapest compared to any other car in the market, and every road-side mechanic knows how to deal with any issues.

My car has never left me stranded. AC is still a chiller unit, although the air throw has gone down. Actually, the filter has not been cleaned since it was bought. One needs to remove the dashboard to get that done. I never had the time or opportunity to do the same. The engine still works fine and I guess I can achieve 2,00,000kms or more without an engine overhaul. Yes, it has started rattling badly. Will dampen the doors and the dash soon.

Tata cars are reliable, else it wont have become such a huge hit among the fleet operators. The cars are in shabby state because they are ill-maintained. I have come across numerous cab-drivers who actually change engine oil way past the authorized intervals. Some even mix old and new engine oils. Most fleet operator driver, just to make money add kerosene with diesel. The owners never get to know about all this. Service is an issue, however, I haven't had much issues with that. My car is quite trouble-free.

I have a 2012 Honda City that shares the garage with my beloved Indica. Both are two very different cars, both are of totally different league, still Indica never fails to charm me. Some will say that Indica and charm don't go together, but I am sorry to say that it is something hard to explain. It's between me and my car. I respect her a lot and she loves me back a lot more.

OUT OF TOPIC: Why all of a sudden Tata cars - Reliability and service? has become active. Just because Zica launch is around the corner and Tata bashers are ready with their bricks and bats. It reminds me of the intolerance debate and award wapasi that emerged out of nowhere just before Bihar elections pitted against BJP. Once the voting was done, all issues disappeared.

Last edited by keeprevving : 3rd December 2015 at 17:56.
keeprevving is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:50   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds too good to be true maybe it has to do a lot with the road conditions , trust me in my part of the country getting 30-40k kms on stock tyres and 50k kms on stock suspensions or clutch , on a TATA is considered impossible (no offence)
Pathetic conditions to say the least. Half the time they are dug up, then a new road is laid, looks good for a couple of months and then the rains set in.

I replaced the clutch on the Indica at 106000 kms, if I am not mistaken. You will find my long term review here on TeamBHP.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:59   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Pathetic conditions to say the least. Half the time they are dug up, then a new road is laid, looks good for a couple of months and then the rains set in.

I replaced the clutch on the Indica at 106000 kms, if I am not mistaken. You will find my long term review here on TeamBHP.
Even I replaced my Indica DLS (2001) clutch at 1, 27,000kms. Everything in the car works like a charm, other than the bad rattles that has recently cropped up.
keeprevving is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed