Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:31   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata cars - Reliability and service?

My 2009 Vista Quadrajet is a great car and I have little to complain about. Front disc pads changed at 62k kms, battery lasted for 4 years, Suspension changed at 60k kms.
Apart from this I had 2 break downs, fortunately , on both the occasions I reached home when the part failed. The engine belt on one occasion- the one which controls the PW Steering and the alternator and the second time the fuel pump conked off. I was really fortunate that I reached home and then the part gave up, otherwise I would have been stranded somewhere late at night, that to.
Tyres- My 1st set of GT3 lasted on 36k kms. My fault also because I did not check and get them rotated them often.
My second set which is what the car is running on right now- has lasted 50k kms and is due for a change.
Reliable- Absolutely. I have driven 85k kms and the engine still feels smooth and powerful.
Yes the power window switches are a pain,I wish the instrument cluster was in front of the driver, but apart from these, I have had no issues at all. The car is still on its original clutch. No issues at all and I am confident it will last. Malik cars, the service center that I get my car serviced at, has been good and I have nothing to complain about.

yeah, the handling is more tuned towards comfort, rather than a sports car, it is not bad. Depends on what you want at the end of the day.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:49   #137
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
That's my whole point, to have a "Reliable" car. Read about 'Brand value' and you will understand how paying a little more premium adds value to one's own status and peace of mind. No business is in market to run charity, you get what you pay for.
And yes, your signature is not visible.

I think your car should be known because of you, and your identity should not depend on your car. If it does (god forbid) you really need to introspect if you are paying too much attention to style rather than substance. Peace of mind is something our cabbies take for granted - Indigo eCS is still the breadwinner for most taxi operators. It is not because it is cheap- it is because it can withstand the abuse thrown at it by our roads and still deliver 20+ kmpl.
Tata cars are world class - at least the ones produced after 2013. Brand value is subject to a lot of variables including the maturity of the buyer. Their service stations are still a work in progress. Please don't ridicule a product without testing it. The Zest is comparable to a Xcent/ Etios and the Dzire in every aspect. Drive it and then post the cruticism-not otherwise.
Nissan1180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:38   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post

Sounds too good to be true maybe it has to do a lot with the road conditions , trust me in my part of the country getting 30-40k kms on stock tyres and 50k kms on stock suspensions or clutch , on a TATA is considered impossible (no offence)
I guess I am qualified to comment on this thread. I owned a 2000 (V1) indica for 13 years (125k km). It had its share of problems, noticeably with the fuel pump and fan belt (once each), which left me stranded.

However, that did not deter me enough, so I bought another indica in 2006, a DLG TCIC. This vehicle has been a real VFM for ownership. OE tyres lasted 77k, and the next set is still going strong at 121k. Original suspension setup, clutch overhaul at 100k. No major repairs yet (touch-wood) and no rattles, either!

Overall, I would say Tata cars are definitely reliable and really offer good value for money, considering the cost ownership. Of course it helps that I have a very reliable and trust-worthy mechanic to look after my car!
sschivate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:47   #139
BHPian

Overall, I would say Tata cars are definitely reliable and really offer good value for money, considering the cost ownership. Of course it helps that I have a very reliable and trust-worthy mechanic to look after my car![/quote]

Since this post is all about reliability & service , reliability part is well accepted but the issue still lingers around service. After all so many people would not be fool to give TATA vehicles a miss and go for all other brands available. The service is terrible , let alone fan belt or starter issues. Since you had a very reliable and trust worthy mechanic you had less of a trouble with your tata
gixxerboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:57   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Overall, I would say Tata cars are definitely reliable and really offer good value for money, considering the cost ownership. Of course it helps that I have a very reliable and trust-worthy mechanic to look after my car!

Since this post is all about reliability & service , reliability part is well accepted but the issue still lingers around service. After all so many people would not be fool to give TATA vehicles a miss and go for all other brands available. The service is terrible , let alone fan belt or starter issues. Since you had a very reliable and trust worthy mechanic you had less of a trouble with your tata
It is funny how you choose to not read all the other posts which vehemently prove how Tata vehicles are reliable and VFM workhorses. You also keep switching your arguments! Importantly it is almost clear that you are making almost baseless points - just to prove your point. Almost all that you are saying is your perception. How did you assume that people are using the FNM/FNG and not going to an TASS? My car, and the ones in my immediate family/ friend circle are all serviced at TASS (of course the Tata ones).

The lesser said about "After all so many people would not be fool to give TATA vehicles a miss and go for all other brands available." - the better. It is exactly this herd mentality that we have which companies like Japanese S and T and to a certain extent the Korean H, are exploiting.

Edit - I was just checking your other posts - aboutyour experience with Hyundai ASC. Congratulations on your new Celerio - I think your irritation is justified, about the TASS and Tata i mean (grapes too sour ) Peace!

Last edited by torquecurve : 3rd December 2015 at 21:10.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:44   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Edit - I was just checking your other posts - aboutyour experience with Hyundai ASC. Congratulations on your new Celerio - I think your irritation is justified, about the TASS and Tata i mean (grapes too sour ) Peace!
Thank you! That answers the query.
Why didn't I think of doing this earlier.
There. Mystery solved. No wonder so many posts on the Zica thread. (now moved here)
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:10   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Celerio is doing just great , wish TASS has similar no of dealers or service centers let alone build products with quality at PAR with japs or koreans. PEACE
Old 4th December 2015, 11:56   #143
BHPian

I don't think we should take dealers / service centers into account here. The question is about the reliability of the vehicle. Not the ease of service.

Having owned a Indica V2, I can say one thing. That car doesn't die easily. You may have read similar anecdotes I have posted in other topics. Car loaded with coconuts / pharma boxes, manure etc. and then travelling through the country side. It lasted a good 120k+ kms.

The interior was basically a piece of smelly goo and almost every part came off if you applied unexpected force (front interior grip handle, AC knob to name a few). But, the engine, the chassis and the suspension just went on and on. At some point, my brother and I looked at each other thinking "will this car ever give us an excuse to buy another car?" It didn't. We had to make up excuses.

His next car was an Indigo CS. Same type of abuse and same type of outcome. His current car is a Nano. Same type of abuse and same type of outcome.

If you're searching for luxury, gimmicky electronics, a cool brand name and even international design, you need to look elsewhere. If you're searching for a workhorse that won't let you down, Tata cars are as reliable as the next guy.
Mad Max is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:03   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Shock absorbers lasting for 74k kms is something a little too much for me to believe when you are talking about a vista.
We had Indica DLS in the family , we bought that in 2004 and serverd us faithfully till 2012. During these 8 years we had a lot of highway runs and of course the tyres and wipers had to be changed periodically. We never had a problem with the suspension till 90K. We maintained it very well, frequent oil, air filters,diesel filters, clean fuel and sedate driving kept it healthy till 1.5L Kms. It was only after 1.5L kms it started showing signs of old age. We drove the car till 2.5L and sold it finally.

Indica is not a car meant to be driven fast.
girimajiananth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:17   #145
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I think your car should be known because of you, and your identity should not depend on your car. If it does (god forbid) you really need to introspect if you are paying too much attention to style rather than substance. Peace of mind is something our cabbies take for granted - Indigo eCS is still the breadwinner for most taxi operators. It is not because it is cheap- it is because it can withstand the abuse thrown at it by our roads and still deliver 20+ kmpl.
Tata cars are world class - at least the ones produced after 2013. Brand value is subject to a lot of variables including the maturity of the buyer. Their service stations are still a work in progress. Please don't ridicule a product without testing it. The Zest is comparable to a Xcent/ Etios and the Dzire in every aspect. Drive it and then post the cruticism-not otherwise.
The need for this thread itself, the volume sold or the market share of TATA motors passenger cars and the turnover (profit/loss) of company should answer most of your .
sary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:31   #146
BHPian

Did someone say its not possible to get more than 30 K out of the tyres on any TATA?

My Nano is from2009. After 49,800 kms the front tyres are going strong. I will be replacing them in a month or so, even though I dont need to.

Also the battery is the original one , after all these years!

Having said that, are TATA cars "paragons of automotive perfection"? No, mainly because of their poor vendor management. The quality of the parts used in TATA are based on the price that TATA negotiates, instead of it being the other way around.

I request the 2 members who are writing very anti- TATA posts to be balanced and NOT make sweeping statements , which cannot be made about any car brand.
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:40   #147
BHPian

This post was started as people question the reliability and service aspect of tata vehicles. Had things been so perfect this post would not exist on the 1st place. Also the sales figures would speak otherwise. Enough said.
gixxerboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:47   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a statement by a reviewer who was putting a Ferrari through a test and had put up an article, in tg India, I think. Not JC.
He said, " this is the best sports car there is. And don't argue with me unless you've driven all the rest, and this. Just don't. I have, I am qualified to make that statement. If you haven't, you aren't. Trust me on this. You can't think or imagine that something else is better. "not verbatim, just the gist of what I remember.

I'm just here because I have wet dreams about the XT, and am just looking for an excuse to binge on one and as soon as a decently priced one to appear on the market.

Last edited by mayankk : 4th December 2015 at 12:48.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 13:29   #149
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I must admit you have been very lucky with that indica vista , i know its a lot better when you compare it with a previous gen tata indica with DICOR engine of the DI engine , also at times i wonder how do tyres on a tata lasted for 54k ? I have not been able to complete 20k on a set of 4 apollo on my previous hyundai EON with wheels aligned every 10k kms. Also wipers at 55k , you sure do live in a rain starved area *grins* . Most vista owners i know complain about niggling issues esp the lights in power window switches which goes kaput at around 25-30 k Kms . Shock absorbers lasting for 74k kms is something a little too much for me to believe when you are talking about a vista.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding. Also, members are permitted to use only TWO emoticons per post. Please read the Announcements thoroughly before posting.
I dont think iam lucky. Doubting guys can check with any TASS. Please PM me, will give vehicle registration number. Entire service history is with TASS till i sold the car @ 92K.
I live in Bangalore which is definitely not a rain starved place.

This is the problem with many guys who never used a TATA car. Whatever they say is hearsay.

I changed shocks at 74k on my own as one of the front shock has oil leak and iam going on along drive.
rkg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 14:14   #150
BHPian

[quote=rkg;3862483]I dont think iam lucky. Doubting guys can check with any TASS. Please PM me, will give vehicle registration number. Entire service history is with TASS till i sold the car @ 92K.
I live in Bangalore which is definitely not a rain starved place.

Too easy for you to judge if i ever owned a tata vehicle or not , did use a tata indica v2 dls from 2005 to 2009 , was not satisfied .

further to your satisfaction you might as well feel like going through the post :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-team-bhp.html

Most Viewed