Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 10:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai India discontinues 1.2 Kappa engined i10

Link to News Section

In most international markets, Hyundai will replace the i10 hatchback with the next-gen 2014 i10, a car that made its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show. In India though, the South Korean car maker has followed a different approach. Hyundai continues to sell the previous generation i10 here, and instead of replacing the i10, has engineered a larger, next-generation version dubbed the Grand i10.

Rumour: Hyundai India discontinues 1.2 Kappa engined i10-2013-hyundai-i10-1.jpg

The advent of the Hyundai Grand i10, a car that sits between the i10 and i20, has meant that the higher variants of the i10 are priced dangerously close to that of the lower variants of the Grand i10. Cannibalization was always a strong possibility. Overdrive reports that Hyundai India has discontinued the 1.2 liter Kappa petrol engined version of the i10 hatchback in India.

The 1.2 liter 80 PS-112 Nm kappa petrol engine will now be used only on the Grand i10 while the i10 will make do with the 1.1 liter IRDE, 4 cylinder motor that outputs 69 PS-100 Nm. The 1.1 liter IRDE engine is also available in CNG-petrol and LPG-petrol guises. For a diesel option though, prospective Hyundai car buyers will have to look at the Grand i10/i20.

Also, Hyundai India is said to have discontinued the Sportz and Asta variants of the i10, to drive prospective buyers of these variants to the Grand i10, a car that offers a rounded set of features right from the base variant. The discontinuation of the 1.2 liter Kappa petrol motor from the i10 has another dimension to it.

Rumour: Hyundai India discontinues 1.2 Kappa engined i10-2013-hyundai-i10-2.jpg

The 4 speed automatic gearbox, which was offered only on this engine, will soon be available only on the Grand i10. Effectively, the discontinuation of the 1.2 Kappa engine from the i10 has also resulted in the automatic gearbox not being offered on the hatchback anymore. The Maruti Suzuki A-Star automatic thus represents the only entry-level automatic hatchback in India, with its prime competitor, the i10 Automatic, making an exit.

With the variant rejig, the regular i10 becomes a cut-price B-segment offering while the Grand i10 dons the role of a car that offers a wider range of options for the buyer. The i20 sits at the top of the heap as a feature loaded, premium B+ segment hatchback. Hyundai India sells two other hatchbacks targeting budget car buyers: the Santro Xing and the Eon.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 24th September 2013 at 10:46. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:51   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai India discontinues 1.2 Kappa engined i10

So no automatic for now. Actually they desperately need a 5 speed box to take on the Brio AT, and a diesel AT would be superb to have but sadly won't come.

Asta model obviously had to go and if they removed the 1.2 engine then obviously the Sportz too had to go.

Would help increase the resale prices of previous higher models no longer available new.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2013 at 16:51.
1967'stang is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th September 2013, 11:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

This was very much expected the moment Grand i10 was introduced in the Indian market.

I am sure this engine and trim variation will result in better product placement and will make it easier for the buyer to decide as i10 and Grand i10 will now be completely different offerings right from the engine and body and will just share the name "i10".

I consider it a good move by Hyundai and an advantage of the wide product offerings that they have in B segment now. Maruti has not been able to do this though they have a bigger lineup of offerings in the B segment.

Cheers to Hyundai

Mod note: Post edited. Please check spellings before posting. There were quite a few of them.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th September 2013 at 12:25.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

With this move Hyundai is clearly downgrading the i10 to compete with the lower segments such as the Beat, Wagon R etc. leaving the Grand i10 much more space to play.

The question is with this what will happen to the very competent yet older Santro which on its own is a great product with its own merits. Seems like eventually it will be phased out which is a sad thing to do.

Coming back to the i10, it was the Kappa engine that gave it a reputation of a low mileage car with similar on road figures to the bigger i20 albelit a km or two higher. This was comparitively lower to the K Series and iVetcs which boasts of superior efficiency.

However the iRDe 1.1 is the same engine from the Santro and more efficient than the Kappa 1.2 though a tad lower in power but it should not matter in a smaller i10.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

It makes sense for the i10 to move down the product chain after the launch of new global i10, i.e. i10 Grand India. However, I fear this could lead to serious cannibalisation of sales amongst Santro Xing & i10 as there is difference of few bhps & few liters boot space.

IMO they should discontinue the Santro Xing (despite being a Cash Cow) systematically, as a bigger engined Eon is also rumoured to be under testing, or at least, remove top variant (s) of Santro Xing as well.
Old 24th September 2013, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

I somehow have a feeling that soon the Santro shall only be available in a single barebones model for fleet only sales with CNG / LPG.
Old 24th September 2013, 14:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I somehow have a feeling that soon the Santro shall only be available in a single barebones model for fleet only sales with CNG / LPG.
Very true. Something like the Accent Executive. The Accent originally started with GVS, GLE, GLS, GLX- all 1.5's, the 1.6 GTX Tornardo and the 1.5 CRDi. All of these went away and the only one that remained was the GLE rebadged as "Executive"

I would be really sad if the Santro is discontinued. I owned two of them. My sister has a i10 1.2 Kappa Magna. Still i always found the Santro to be more fun to drive. Refined, punchy, steering feedback (good old Hydraulic) as well as brakes- the Santro has it all even now!!! If Hyundai discontinues that car they will lose a good amount of Sales coming from product loyal customers of the Santro. I would still buy a 3rd one infact!
Old 24th September 2013, 14:46   #9
BHPian

This a common strategy being adopted by most manufacturer these days. Skoda didnt discontinue the Octavia and it sold by the side of Laura for a really long time. Ford did the same with the Fiesta (Classic & new Fiesta). Nissan followed suit with the Micra (Classic & New Micra). MS did the same with the WagonR (Staingray) recently. So why should Hyundai be left out. All of these manufacturers have seen a steady sale of the old model with the new. A lot of this boils down to the Indian consumer who does not care if its old or the new till he is getting a bang for his bucks.

Simply put - Hyundai is just playing a copy cat game which a lot of manufacturers have played in the past.

AFAIK Toyota & Honda are the only players who have not done this and phased out the older models even when they were selling like hot cakes. Still remember Toyota phasing out the Qualis when the market demand was pretty decent. Kudos to them for this!
Old 24th September 2013, 15:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Will the Santro still be around? I see no point in having Eon, Santro and Old i10 in their lineup. Makes sense for Hyundai to put Santro to rest.

OT: Still better would be to plonk in a new 1.0 in the Eon but that's a different discussion.
Old 24th September 2013, 16:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Will the Santro still be around? I see no point in having Eon, Santro and Old i10 in their lineup. Makes sense for Hyundai to put Santro to rest.

OT: Still better would be to plonk in a new 1.0 in the Eon but that's a different discussion.
You might be interested in this discussion if you are not following it already:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ift-spied.html
Old 24th September 2013, 16:56   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

The Santro is going to continue for a while.

It's monthly sales tally is usually around 4,000 units. That's with zero marketing and fully depreciated dyes / machinery. 4,000 Santros adds Rs. 100 crore to Hyundai's monthly turnover.

Brands like Nissan / Skoda / Fiat / HM-Mitsubishi don't sell 4,000 units a month, all their products combined.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 17:05   #13
BHPian

In my mind, seems the right way to go about introducing the new i10/ i10 grand in the Indian market. With such a wide range of hatchbacks targeting each and every kind of buyer in the Indian market, it's no surprise Hyundai does well.
Samar117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 21:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I would be really sad if the Santro is discontinued. I owned two of them. My sister has a i10 1.2 Kappa Magna. Still i always found the Santro to be more fun to drive. Refined, punchy, steering feedback (good old Hydraulic) as well as brakes- the Santro has it all even now!!! If Hyundai discontinues that car they will lose a good amount of Sales coming from product loyal customers of the Santro. I would still buy a 3rd one infact!
How true. I drive my uncle's Santro and in comparison with my i10, the Santro has wonderful torque and a superb steering. It is a lovely second car for a two-car family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Santro is going to continue for a while.
Good to hear that, GTO. The Santro is a great little car, one of the few left with a 4-cylinder engine. Despite zero marketing and virtually no major change in engine, fit and finish for these many years, the Santro is a loyal workhorse. It excels in the basic things that it is built for: Reliable engine, great torque, good steering feel, good boot space (compared to present Wagon R), good AC, good fit and finish.

That this tried and tested car can still attract 4000 customers every month is a feat in itself. It surely should feature in India's 'Wheel of Fame'.
Old 24th September 2013, 21:57   #15
BHPian

A good move, I think.

Perhaps it's now time to bid farewell to the old warhorse the Santro Xing as well. This car has performed admirably well for Hyundai during the last decade, but is now starting to show it's age. And it is the only model that doesn't fit with the new Hyundai design philosophy.

And while they're at it, I do wish Hyundai will offer a more modern AT with the new i10. At least a proper 5-speed if not a CVT, instead of the obsolete 3+1. The Micra and Brio are eons ahead when it comes to their autoboxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks