Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
TATA 94 57.32%
M&M 70 42.68%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2006, 18:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Tatas. M&M has concentrated only on UV and farming sector whereas Tatas have spread in to many automotive sectors and being leaders in most of them.

But I appreciate M&M paying more attention to detail to Scorpio compared to Tatas with their Safari.
Old 14th June 2006, 19:12   #17

My vote goes to M&M. There is lot of effort in R&D and I am sure we will have some surprises like Project U. M&M is far more professional in their approach for business and can sell tractors ( in thousands ) in mature market like US.
Old 14th June 2006, 19:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Tata, though M&M is catching up slowly.

Why?

Because:

1. Like someone said they've been doing their own thing for about 40 years now - developing new products, continuously improving existing ones.

2. Their foray into the passenger car market was considered by many 'experts' as doomed even before they started. Look where they are today.

3. Their products are tailored for India.

4. They have been more proactive than their competitors, were the first to introduce trucks with power steering and air conditioning when their competitor were still selling rolling chassis with headlamps and without even a driver's seat.

5. They have repeatedly come up with (developed from scratch) market winners in the likes of the 407, the Indica and the Ace.

6. The only Indian manufacturer known in markets as diverse as the Far East, Middle East, Africa, Latin America and parts of Europe.

7. For the large range of products from the sub-ton Ace to 40-tonne trailer cabs to earthmoving equipment to passenger cars to the rather nice range of Daewoo commercial vehicles which we will get to see soon. M&M, in comparison, is still a 2-platform manufacturer - One tractor platform and One CJ series platform seen in everything from the Major to the Scorpio. One Scorpio doth not a manufacturer make.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th June 2006 at 19:41.
Old 14th June 2006, 19:52   #19
BHPian

Given to choose b/w TATA and M&M i would always prefer the M&M. tata vehicles are know for various problems. Quick tyre wear and tear, remember when the 1st lot of Indica's were manf, also the Sumos had the problem. I also heard from a friend of mine that he had to get the engine overhauled on his indica V2, just after 35,000KM. That's pathetic !!! and also in the longer run the TATA vehicles tends to make more silly noise and acts like a junk machine, where as the M&M holds his head ....The only reason why u have lots of Mahindra Internationa, Pick-up, bolero's and the legend MM540 in all high range areas !! Why don't we find the Sumo's ??
Old 14th June 2006, 19:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile
My vote goes to M&M.
I obviously know why
Old 15th June 2006, 10:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
It's like asking : You want yourself to be hanged or electrocuted?
Could not have said it any better. As far as cars go, I would not bet my money on either of them. The only reason I voted for M&M is due to the bad attitude of Tatas towards customers.
Old 15th June 2006, 11:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

for looks Tatas ar eway ahead and comepte with international brands!
compare Safari to Scorpio
207 Pickup to bolero camper etc.

But in all other parameters, I feel M&M are ahead. their vehicles are good value for money (imagine paying 13L for a Safari when u can get teh SLX scorp for <9). Plus, M7M engines are better than tatas, with far fewer problems.

In fact M&M jeeps are reverred for their go anywhere ability and reliabilty.
Old 15th June 2006, 11:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
for looks Tatas ar eway ahead and comepte with international brands!
But then, if I am not wrong, Tatas blatantly copy looks of their vehicles from other vehicles abroad. I don't know about the Indica (whose looks suck anyway IMO), but I have seen vehicles on which the Sierra and Estate were modelled. The Safari is one great looking vehicle, but then I would not be surprised if that was also copied from some other vehicle.
Old 15th June 2006, 11:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
But then, if I am not wrong, Tatas blatantly copy looks of their vehicles from other vehicles abroad. I don't know about the Indica (whose looks suck anyway IMO), but I have seen vehicles on which the Sierra and Estate were modelled.
Just to set the record straight, Indica was designed by ItalDesign studio. Same one which designed Palio. For engine, lot of help was taken from LMM.
Old 15th June 2006, 12:34   #25
BHPian

If Toyota can source better plastics from Indian vendors why cant Tata ?

Cause tata have their own plastic moulding unit so now you understand what to expect
Old 15th June 2006, 12:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool
Cause tata have their own plastic moulding unit so now you understand what to expect
I think Tata's plastics are outsourced - the Bangalore dealer (Prerna) is also a supplier for plastics. I did rub it in on them on the one occassion that I visited Prerna
Old 15th June 2006, 14:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Well i thought of starting this topic after witnessing so many horror stories of TATA cars quality issues, both in and outsite the forum.
Somehow, i dont hear too much bad for the other Indian manufacturer:
Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M). Rarely i have heard people complaining about Scorpio's quality or breakdowns. Of course this maybe due to the fact, that M&M has only one vehicle in the passenger car market..

What do you people think. Given a choice, would you drive home a TATA Indica .. or an M&M Indica? Which one would you trust more?
Weird question since there is no M&M Indica.....;-)
Anyways I know what you are asking but you gave the reply yourself..

Mahindra only has 1 vehicle on the road and which sells perhaps a fraction of what Tata cars sell.

Same goes for number of people on the forum (or outside that you know) who own M&M vs Tata vehicles.

Simple probability will tell you that more horror stories are bound to be from Tata owners...I for one (as a Tata car owner) dont have too many bad things to say about the product I own.
Of course if tomorrow there is a product from M&M which suits me and if I am looking at buying it, I would do it in a flash.

In the end its what suits you and your pocket best..not what you 'hear' from people or read in magazines.

Having said that as a general theme I respect what Tata have done for the automobile industry (as well as many others mind you) but same way I also acknowledge how M&M are growing their own base.

sorry for the rant but I am not voting here though.

Quote:
...Indica (whose looks suck anyway IMO)...
Well no wonder you like the Baleno then ;-)

just kidding though... hehe

Last edited by Abhay : 15th June 2006 at 14:50.
Old 15th June 2006, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then, if I am not wrong, Tatas blatantly copy looks of their vehicles from other vehicles abroad. I don't know about the Indica (whose looks suck anyway IMO), but I have seen vehicles on which the Sierra and Estate were modelled. The Safari is one great looking vehicle, but then I would not be surprised if that was also copied from some other vehicle.
The practice of copying the designs of Daimler Benz was stopped a few years back. The practice was resorted to in order to highlight Tata's connection with Daimler Benz with which Tata had a technical collaboration agreement during 1954-1969. Since Daimler Benz continued to hold equity in TELCO even after expiry of the technical collaboration agreement and also because Tata's vehicles did not pose any serious threat to Mercedes models, no objection was raised by them.

The Safari design is not a copy. Safari was designed by a British design house called International Auto Design which is now owned by Hyundai.
Old 25th June 2006, 19:11   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I vote Tata.
If not anything, lesser of two evils . I hope M&M gets a more original logo to start with. But I do appreciate them for their position in Tractors, world-wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directignition
The "E" in the earstwhile acronym TELCO stood for Engineering, not Electrical.
DI, I think Nitrous is right on this one - the E stood for Electric. They replaced TELCO with Tata Engineering, so it never was Tata Engg & Locomotive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I think Tata's plastics are outsourced - the Bangalore dealer (Prerna) is also a supplier for plastics.
And TACO supplies components to GM !

Steer, would you know what parts does Prerana supply Tata with ? Curious ..

Last edited by condor : 25th June 2006 at 19:19.
Old 26th June 2006, 01:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Safari design is not a copy. Safari was designed by a British design house called International Auto Design which is now owned by Hyundai.
It takes its design cue from the Land Rover Discovery. IAD did work on bot the Disco and the Safari and it shows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks