View Poll Results: Which one is better?
TATA 94 57.32%
M&M 70 42.68%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2006, 21:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

TATA v/s M&M

Well i thought of starting this topic after witnessing so many horror stories of TATA cars quality issues, both in and outsite the forum.
Somehow, i dont hear too much bad for the other Indian manufacturer: Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M). Rarely i have heard people complaining about Scorpio's quality or breakdowns. Of course this maybe due to the fact, that M&M has only one vehicle in the passenger car market..

What do you people think. Given a choice, would you drive home a TATA Indica .. or an M&M Indica? Which one would you trust more?
Old 13th June 2006, 22:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

M&M is gonna try its hand on a new project; a sedan or so MUV ( I forgot ), kind of luxurious one in two years.

I am yet to see/hear about a Tata quality problem with any of my friends car. But, I just hate the stability and hence the safety features of the Scorpio.

And hence my vote for Tata. Truly a people's car manufacturer.
Old 13th June 2006, 22:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Somehow both are more or less in the same boat... hoever I have a feeling M&M lead by their attention to detail.. and perhaps a little more passion... though you are right about the numbers.. my vote goes for M&M.. I like their vehicles much better than TATA's - both fit and finish.. and sheer drivability!!
Old 13th June 2006, 22:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
M&M is gonna try its hand on a new project; a sedan or so MUV ( I forgot ), kind of luxurious one in two years.

Its called the LOGAN. Have been reading about it since the past 1-1/2 year.. by the time they bring it here it will be terribly outdated.
Old 13th June 2006, 23:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Its called the LOGAN. Have been reading about it since the past 1-1/2 year.. by the time they bring it here it will be terribly outdated.
no re; thats the Renault project na? This one would be a total Indian gaadi. Not a car though.
Old 13th June 2006, 23:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

In the engine deptt M&M scores more than TATA else both are same
Old 14th June 2006, 00:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its totally wrong to have brought this up.

I love both Tata and Mahindra equally and respect both for their different attributes.

Yes,Scorpio is a good successful product.But still, Mahindra cannot be considered with just a single product which they renew and renew and upgrade and upgrade.....phew!

Tata on the other hand grew from TELCO(Tata Electrical and Locomotive Company) to what it is today.
Its still a class below its Japanese competition.But,its VFM anyday!

PS: This thread will create a 'coffee-toffee' argument. I'll bet on it!
Old 14th June 2006, 08:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for Tata. They have acheived much more in a smaller space of time than Mahindra.
Old 14th June 2006, 08:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Tatas Vs. Mahindras

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

I love both Tata and Mahindra equally and respect both for their different attributes.

Yes,Scorpio is a good successful product.But still, Mahindra cannot be considered with just a single product which they renew and renew and upgrade and upgrade.....phew!

Tata on the other hand grew from TELCO(Tata Electrical and Locomotive Company) to what it is today.

Hey Nitrous,

The TAtas are better than the Japanese in all segments but Cars..We should note that they are only 10 years into Car manufacturing unlike the Japs who have been at it for decades..

I think the Tata Indica and Indigo are great VFM vehicles..but leave a lot of things to be desired..

Dont have much experience with the Mahindra..but for that funny bus like vehicle on a jeep chassis..that "thing" is scary and can hit anything on the road and keep going..Wonder how the RTO's permitted such vehicles..
Old 14th June 2006, 13:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

lets not get the Japanese into this... we are discussing TATA and M&M.. the indian car cos..
Old 14th June 2006, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

The "E" in the earstwhile acronym TELCO stood for Engineering, not Electrical.

Your views about respecting both manufacturers deserve appeciation. Both are Indian after all. Let's hope they grow bigger and better, just like the Japs who were known as JUNK MERCHANTS once upon a time.

Coming to the vote, well mine goes to Tata since they have been doing for decades what Mahindra has been attempting in recent years (developing products indigenously, through own efforts instead of just getting obsolete products from abroad.) They've had a proper R&D centre and testing facilities since 1969!
Old 14th June 2006, 16:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rata Tata's vision to emerge as a leading car manufacturer is slowly looking more and more realistic. When it comes to active participation in International automotive meets , M & M is no where near Tata , Tata Aria was percieved by Automotive Industry with a lot of admiration. No one ever expected a car of that sort to come form Tata. Reasons may be partly due to Tata's enormous amout of cash reserves .
Though M & M is doing better in the overseas marketWhen it comes to product development its tough coz M & M is concentrating on improving their Scorpio(80% effort) where as Tata is concentrating on Safari / Indigo / Indica. The result is very obvious Scorpio is definetely a better and a more complete vehicle .
Tata is definitely improving their product quality but what fails to impress is the pace of development. If Toyota can source better plastics from Indian vendors why cant Tata ? Tata Rover - Small car Was really a turn off for Tata . They were literally shocked by its quality .

When it comes to sales figures both are doing exceptionally well with Indica literally rocking the charts month after month with 7000+ sales / month

Last edited by maxbhp : 14th June 2006 at 16:17.
Old 14th June 2006, 16:29   #13
BHPian

TELCO = TELL EVERYONE LIES AND CARRY ON. I have owned and driven 2 Sierra's - the first one I bought when initially launched - drove it for 1,65,000 Kms and the second one with improved suspension (so they claimed) etc etc. which i used for 1,87,000 Kms. Had a slew of complaints right from suspension, electricals etc etc. Didnt have too much of a choice then and needed something better than the MM540 and therefore the choice. I now have a scorpio which has done 50,000 Km and is yet to show any signs of fatigue. The susupension in the older scorpio's (mines a leaf spring version non CRDE) might not be to everyones liking, but I have no complaints what so ever. mechanically the Scorpio is way ahead of any TATA prodcut available in the market and their after sales service is much better than TATA. My vote defineately goes to M&M.
Old 14th June 2006, 16:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
In the engine deptt M&M scores more than TATA else both are same
I wholeheartedly agree. I have an acquaintance who has had a Scorpio bewitched with suspension issues. They have been unable to get to the root of the problem despite 2+ years of ownership.
Old 14th June 2006, 17:22   #15
BANNED

It's like asking : You want yourself to be hanged or electrocuted?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks