Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 09:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I like the interiors,all black looks good.Much better than what we get in Amaze.
So they have not omitted the Music system,which is a good sign.
Wheels are 14 inchers,they will look too small,not sure,what GC combo Fiat is going to come up with for Classic,if they bump it to 185,the wheels will look too small.

Now just hope that they get the pricing correct for this one.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Only concern is that starting 6.5-6.75 means that the car is towards the middle -top end range of the prices as far as cars such as the Amaze , Dzire ,Sail etc go and whether they would need to price it even more competitively than that to get some numbers rolling , ofcourse also depends on how much they are or are not loading the car with. Guess we will find out tomorrow.
Will this be a diesel only version or will we have petrol too?
6.5 for a base diesel won't be too bad since dzire ldi is 6.2x ex showroom and zdi retails at 7.6 lakhs. Similarly amaze starts at 6 lakh thereabouts going Upto 7.6. So three variants between 6.5/6.7 to around 7.8/8 lakhs won't be too bad I guess again provided they are loaded decently.

It might be a good alternative to dzire and amaze despite having poorer power to weight ratio and not really being very ahead in space, because in the image conscious Indian market, it does have a perception of size and a proper boot.

Tomorrow we will get answers to our queries I guess.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
So they have not omitted the Music system,which is a good sign.
Wheels are 14 inchers,they will look too small,not sure,what GC combo Fiat is going to come up with for Classic,if they bump it to 185,the wheels will look too small.
Considering the fact that the tyres are Apollo Acceleres, shod on 14in wheels of the lower variants of the Punto, I think the tyre size will be 185/70R14s. I doubt FIAT would plonk the puny 165/80R14s of the Punto on this, and as it is 165/80s are not available with the Acceleres. The other option may be 175/70R14s, but I think they will be 185/70s. On the plus side, thinner tyres may help increase fuel efficiency a bit.

But I hope the top variant does get 15in alloys.

Last edited by julupani : 24th September 2013 at 09:20.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

No rear power windows?
I do not think pricing it cheaper will help the Linea garner more sales.

A friend of mine owns a Linea MJD Emotion, and he suggests all his near and dear ones to keep off Fiat for the cheap interior quality. He recently got a second car which is a Maruti Swift, and now they fight on who will get the Swift, because nobody wants to drive the Linea. The interiors on the Swift are a lot more premium according to them.

No offence to Fiat fans , but I have not really liked the interior quality myself. And if with the price cut, it is going to go more down the line, then god help Fiat.

Now that the Classic is making its way out, I am keen on having a look inside the Linea facelift.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

A few more pics listed on the Motor Trend India website.

Link
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:29   #36
BHPian

Regarding the Interiors, will the plastic quality play such a big part in Smaller Linea ?,
Its coming as a budget car from Fiat anyway.
We have a swift VXI and a 90hp Punto.
Even though the interior looks a notch better for swift ( The all black finish), whenever I take punto home my family prefers to Travel in Punto ,
Due to the mature suspension and the build quality.
If fiat can make the customers do a Test Drive on Breaking and stability , Linea might be able to pick up some more momentum.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

No offence to Fiat fans , but I have not really liked the interior quality myself. And if with the price cut, it is going to go more down the line, then god help Fiat.

Now that the Classic is making its way out, I am keen on having a look inside the Linea facelift.
How old is your friends Linea?? Interior plastic quality has improved over these past few years, though not by a lot.

Also, the interiors may not feel as premium as some of the others, but they stand the test of time much better.

The interiors of my 45 month old Punto and my cousin's 39 month old Punto feel far younger and have held up much better than the interiors of the 24 month old Dzire of my brother-in-law and the 20 month old Swift of my Uncle.
julupani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
How old is your friends Linea?? Interior plastic quality has improved over these past few years, though not by a lot.
His Linea is a 2009 model.

I have my doubts about the plastics lasting longer than I would expect, but might be given that you own one.

But still, the first look inside new cars of that segment, the Linea has a very boring look on the inside as compared to others. Touch and feel of the center console is just

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
If fiat can make the customers do a Test Drive on Breaking and stability, Linea might be able to pick up some more momentum.
This might work, but currently let them iron out the dealer issues as of date. And going by the number of standalone Fiat dealerships, they are doing pretty decent.

Last edited by parrys : 24th September 2013 at 10:45.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine owns a Linea MJD Emotion, and he suggests all his near and dear ones to keep off Fiat for the cheap interior quality. He recently got a second car which is a Maruti Swift, and now they fight on who will get the Swift, because nobody wants to drive the Linea. The interiors on the Swift are a lot more premium according to them.
I understand that the Linea in comparision to it's other rivals has been criticized for it's interiors but are interiors the only reason to avoid Linea?

The Linea feels plusher and offers a mature ride at almost any speed without bothering passengers. It also gives you handling as good as a swift and better than most others in that segment. The exterior build quality, 5 star safety rating of the Linea are plus for safe driving. Linea is surely a long time ownership car.
Kratos453 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 11:34   #40
BHPian

Am I the only one that feels a bit let down with this Classic stunt by Fiat? I purchased a Linea T-jet because of the exclusivity it provided and the amazing value-for-money option it was in the C2 segment. Globally Linea competes with Civic, Altis, etc and here in India it was slotted with City, Vento, and others to capture better market share. Now, they are downgrading the Linea brand further by positioning it with Dzire and Amaze.

It might help Fiat sell a few hundred Lineas more but it will certainly drive away some of the 'enthusiasts' segment that it once claimed as its actual target segment. Fiesta classic and New Fiesta are completely different cars but Linea and Linea classic look the same from outside (barring the wheels, which can be easily upgraded). I dread the thought of seeing Lineas as part of Meru or Easy Cab's fleet.

It's time for me to get rid of the Linea badge from my T-jet.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
His Linea is a 2009 model.

But still, the first look inside new cars of that segment, the Linea has a very boring look on the inside as compared to others. Touch and feel of the center console is just
They have improved vastly , in fact many owners have reported substantial differences even between 2011-2012-2013 Lineas of the aspect of quality.

Looks of the center console i agree but touch and feel i dont. I think the touch and feel is infact very decent , soft touch buttons , good solid build but this is a subjective thing , and not saying it because i am an owner but thats what i felt when i was in the purchase mode. In fact , with no offense intended , i think the Linea beats the Honda City handsdown on looks as well of the center area. The Lineas ACC unit is fine and reasonably contemporary - what makes it look old is the small screen for the music system and the appeal would be greatly enhanced if this became a bigger touch screen unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
but it will certainly drive away some of the 'enthusiasts' segment that it once claimed as its actual target segment.

I dont think so , Fiat might have claimed whatever they did but the proof of the pudding only came when the T-Jet arrived . And the enthusiasts still bought the car despite many problems with the Linea and fiat - so i dont think this is going to be a deal breaker.

Yes , get rid of the badge and paste a few more T-Jet badges all over , i would if i could find some!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 11:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I the only one that feels a bit let down with this Classic stunt by Fiat? I purchased a Linea T-jet because of the exclusivity it provided and the amazing value-for-money option it was in the C2 segment. Globally Linea competes with Civic, Altis, etc and here in India it was slotted with City, Vento, and others to capture better market share. Now, they are downgrading the Linea brand further by positioning it with Dzire and Amaze.

It might help Fiat sell a few hundred Lineas more but it will certainly drive away some of the 'enthusiasts' segment that it once claimed as its actual target segment. Fiesta classic and New Fiesta are completely different cars but Linea and Linea classic look the same from outside (barring the wheels, which can be easily upgraded). I dread the thought of seeing Lineas as part of Meru or Easy Cab's fleet.

I doubt you need to worry about exclusivity of the Linea. Even if the Linea Classic does very very well, it will probably still be the least selling among its competitors. And overall there will still be far fewer Lineas on the road.

Though, I do feel for the owners of the current Linea as their car will live on as a cheaper sedan. But FIAT isnt worried about that much, since they are going to launch a new Linea, which can be pretty easily distinguished from the current model a s well as the Classic.

BTW, as for the place of the Linea outside India, FYI the City, Vento, Verna segment of cars is not really popular all over the world. The Corolla, Jetta etc is normally the start of the sedans. Also, the Linea is a pretty popular taxi in many parts of the world.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 12:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
...It might help Fiat sell a few hundred Lineas more ...
That's the whole point, right? for Fiat.

Quote:
... but it will certainly drive away some of the 'enthusiasts' segment that it once claimed as its actual target segment. ..
They have to either go 'mass' way or to go super premium with a small 'enthusiasts' segment. BMW or Merc can do business with few hundreds of sales a month, Fiat cannot, right?

Quote:
...It's time for me to get rid of the Linea badge from my T-jet.
Biraj, I'm lucky that i have a Punto, not Linea

Mod Note: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th September 2013 at 15:14.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 12:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Regarding the Interiors, will the plastic quality play such a big part in Smaller Linea ?,
Its coming as a budget car from Fiat anyway.
We have a swift VXI and a 90hp Punto.
Even though the interior looks a notch better for swift ( The all black finish), whenever I take punto home my family prefers to Travel in Punto ,
Due to the mature suspension and the build quality.
If fiat can make the customers do a Test Drive on Breaking and stability , Linea might be able to pick up some more momentum.
The plastics on the inside hold up well, but the strip on the bonnet could have been a lot better. As long as you don't put any trim protector which gives a glare and makes driving in sunlight hell, the dull plastic on the dashboard is perfect in terms of visibility and hence safety.
I can understand why your family picks the Fiat, a few days ago, I was driving a Verna Fluidic and crashed into a pot hole, I have never been in a car that gets so unsettled. We have the new Fiesta, Punto and Bolero this is the first time I have seen wipers come on after a rough patch .

The Linea needs a reworked footwell, regulator type light switch, better space management with door pockets and an optional high end colour stereo to make it look the part. A 1.6MJD is definitely a need along with a slick shifting gearbox.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

As per Motortend, there will be the 1.4L petrol mill as well, which IMO should be the same 90bhp mill that Linea was initially introduced with.

I feel the Classic variant (s) of the Linea could be recipe of souping up the exteriors/ interiors, as well as the engine (especially the diesel mill) with power chips, tuning, etc. This could also mean that it is cheaper buying & soup up the Classic Linea than buying a regular Linea .

Please correct if I am wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed