Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 12:05   #76
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Earlier Fiat announced that they are planning to target enthusiasts more.

This is exactly opposite to that strategy.

Which enthusiast will go for 75BHP linea without any safety features?
Cab/commercial operators have many more options like Etios/Sunny/Manza even Dzire tour etc.

Can't understand which segment they are targeting.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:11   #77
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Somehow the Autocar's pricing does not seem correct. The current active version (MJD) is priced at INR 7.23 Lakhs ex-showroom Bangalore.

Now If the base classic version is priced at 6.95 lakhs then the classic+ variant would be priced atleast another 30-40K above the base variant for diesel which will it above the current active price of 7.23 Lakhs ex showroom that too for a 75Ps engine and smaller wheelers.
I believe you are confusing price of petrol and diesel variants. The price of current Linea diesel starts at Rs 8.15 lakhs (Delhi) and the petrol is priced at Rs 7.12 lakhs (Delhi). So the pricing seems to be in the right range.
jessie007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:15   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I believe you are confusing price of petrol and diesel variants. The price of current Linea diesel starts at Rs 8.15 lakhs (Delhi) and the petrol is priced at Rs 7.12 lakhs (Delhi). So the pricing seems to be in the right range.
Oopsie, thanks for pointing this out. However, seeing the price point currently, I would still believe the 75 HP version will be a shade below 7 Lakhs to give it an advantage atleast over the pricing.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:36   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post

Which enthusiast will go for 75BHP linea without any safety features?
Cab/commercial operators have many more options like Etios/Sunny/Manza even Dzire tour etc.

Can't understand which segment they are targeting.
Vishal.R, I feel you are mixing up things.
As far as I know, Fiat told that they will target Enthusiasts with their performance brand Abarth (whenever it comes). I don't know if they ever told that their entire lineup will target only enthusiasts.

Linea classic as everyone knows, is a stripped down variant launched to make way for the new linea. Classic will be for people with smaller pockets or the taxi segment and 2014 Linea will be for a more premium market.

The strategy as I see it is to have models that could cover a bigger price range.

The existing range is:
Punto 1.2 68hp, 1.3 75hp, 1.3 90hp, 1.4 90hp
Linea 1.3 90 hp, 1.4 Tjet 114hp, 1.4 90hp

Now Linea classic 1.3 75hp

While the Punto 90hp variants, Linea Tjet and hopefully the 1.6 will be for enthusiasts, all other variants are for others.

I hear Fiat saying "We have 10 variants, own one based on your tastes and pocket size"

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th September 2013 at 12:39.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Here is a set of interior shots plus some exterior clicks as reported in iab.

[
Thanks for the images , the seats look like leather , low resoultion images so a bit difficult to make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
If they are launching the diesel linea classic at Rs 6.99 lacs, i think it is a little too high to make an impact. Fiat doesn't have too good an image in this country and this price won't fetch them a lot of buyers.

Anyway they will be offering discounts a few month's down the line so why not price it right in the Dzire/amaze zone and give the competition a scare and build some base in India before launching other models. Right now they are selling around 6-700 cars a month, this could easily add 1000-1200 cars to their kitty and provide some stability to the dealers.Later on, the prices could be increased, as with most successful models.
I think its a bit high as well given the perception around the brand , live and learn as they say , personally i hope Fiat seems some traction in numbers with this launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Even in the Classic plus, if one sees the last image, there are controls for only for the front power windows. So I believe the feature set wil be similar to Punto Active - Power steering, Manual A/C, Central locking, Music system (No USB or bluetooth but with speed sensitive volume adjustment), front power windows, tilt steering, distance to empty, follow-me-home lights and tyres on 14-inch steel rims. No Airbags or even ABS expected.
There will be USB fiat has confirmed that on their page - will post a link to it shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I like the centre console in black, it looks way better than the cheap gold and silver finishes offered on the Punto and Linea. Maybe I'll try and get this piece on my Punto to get an all black look.

I wonder how this car handles, those look like scooter wheels.
Those wheels do look really tiny , with the increased GC which fiat has given the Linea , which i am assuming is on the Classic as well it ends up making 16 inches looking small , so i can only imagine how small these would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I found a little birdie.
the birdie told me that the new Linea will be launched in a never seen before (edit: in India) colour. Matt black.

No guarantees, but then I am not selling anything!
Would love to see what the car looks like in that color. Some general shots i have seen of other cars on the internet make the color really stand out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post

Not really , they never said they will target only enthusiasts. And as Hemanth mentions the Abarth , the T-Jet to a degree are the cars which really target those segments.
Old 25th September 2013, 13:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

I'm not too sure of this strategy. They should have done this after bringing in the new Linea, which I think will come only in Feb at the Auto Expo. Since Classic and the regular Linea look the same now, I don't see many people buying the regular Linea anymore - on another note, Linea sales were anyway nothing much, so this could work out well also !!

After going Solo Fiat made big plans and while they seem to be doing well on the exclusive dealer roll-out, the Abarth launch should have happened by now. The latest we hear is it's coming only in 2014 - again probably at the Auto Expo ??

Let's just hope that when the New Linea does come, it comes with the 1.6L MJD !
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 13:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

Please refer to highlighted post in red , clearly confirm USB
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat to launch lower-priced Linea Classic* EDIT: launched at 5.99L*-picture1.jpg  

Old 25th September 2013, 13:26   #83
BHPian

Linea Classic launched as per oncars.in

The Linea Classic range starts at Rs 5.99 lakh for the base-spec 1.4 petrol and Rs 6.95 lakh for the 1.3-litre diesel variant. The higher grade Classic Plus is priced at Rs 7.51 lakh.

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...5-99-lakh/4765
Old 25th September 2013, 14:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I'm not too sure of this strategy. They should have done this after bringing in the new Linea, which I think will come only in Feb at the Auto Expo. Since Classic and the regular Linea look the same now, I don't see many people buying the regular Linea anymore.
Quite true. I have been fence sitting on Fiat Linea purchase for sometime now. With this launch, I am definitely not buying the current Linea. When I bought my current car more than five years back, Tata Indica could have been an option but I never look at it as potential purchase because a lot of it are taxis. Its a matter of perception.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:17   #85
BANNED

re: Fiat to launch lower-priced Linea Classic* EDIT: launched at 5.99L*

1.4 petrol emotion pack I bought when launched in back 2009 at the same price they are offering Linea classic now.
I think it is still good price when we compare with prices in 2009 when they have gone up quite a lot for every car.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Quite true. I have been fence sitting on Fiat Linea purchase for sometime now. With this launch, I am definitely not buying the current Linea. When I bought my current car more than five years back, Tata Indica could have been an option but I never look at it as potential purchase because a lot of it are taxis. Its a matter of perception.
Have been on the fence myself for months and am now making the jump, even after this news. I think even if there are enough Taxi's (guess they will mostly be white in color), the other colors of Linea, in its top end variant, would command more respect, premium-ness and class.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

PRICING DETAILS (Ex-Showroom Delhi)

Linea 1.4 Classic : 5.99 Lacs

Linea 1.3 75 HP Classic : 6.95 Lacs

Linea 1.3 75 HP Classic+ : 7.50 Lacs

Quote:
For comparison (Ex-showroom, New Delhi):
Without ABS and Airbag , similar spec to Linea 1.3 Classic : 6.95 Lacs

Ford Classic 1.4 TDCi LXi
Price: ₹ 6.92 lakhs

Honda Amaze 1.5 SMT i-DTEC
Price: ₹ 6.77 lakhs

Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire VDI
Price: ₹ 6.67 lakhs

With ABS and Airbag : similar spec Classic+ without Airbag : Linea 1.3 Classic+ : 7.50 Lacs

Ford Classic 1.4 TDCi Titanium
Price: ₹ 7.96 lakhs

Honda Amaze 1.5 SMT i-DTEC
Price: ₹ 6.77 lakhs

Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire ZDI
Price: ₹ 7.50 lakhs

And the current pricing starts at
1.4L FIRE Petrol Rs.7,12,301
1.3L MULTIJET® Diesel Rs.8,15,813

Courtesy : carwale.com and fiat-india.com
A bit disappointed with the pricing - I was hoping that FIAT will undercut the competition on pricing.

(price and comparison details courtesy Teamfiat india and TFI member Pran)
--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 25th September 2013 at 15:01.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 20:47   #88
BHPian

The marketing material, hoardings and verbiages signify that the LINEA can also be brought down one level lower (same as DZire Tour) which is a very right move.

This move is a kind of lesson learned and implemented by FIAPL from other car companies who have the same variants to cater to both economy(taxi segment) as well as premium customers, this approach paves way to the new higher end linea and also gives a fresh lease of life of the current linea whose design will not die suddenly and will be on the roads for few more years till FIAT calls it a day.

But not sure if the 75 hp version will be able to keep up with the weight of the car plus the added load. Will the car not be sluggish in performance, on a head to head compare with the lighter Dzire ?

One question, is about the longevity of the linea classic on the taxi segment, how it is going to fare to the abusing demanding usage of the taxi segment in which there are proven leaders like the Renault Logan dCi, Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI and of course the Etios D4D.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 25th September 2013 at 20:50.
Old 25th September 2013, 21:37   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Linea classic Advertisement on Youtube:

I must say the Ad quality from Fiat have definitely improved compared to that nonsense "thoda kum nahi ho sakta" Ad

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th September 2013 at 21:54.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 21:46   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post

But not sure if the 75 hp version will be able to keep up with the weight of the car plus the added load. Will the car not be sluggish in performance, on a head to head compare with the lighter Dzire ?

One question, is about the longevity of the linea classic on the taxi segment, how it is going to fare to the abusing demanding usage of the taxi segment in which there are proven leaders like the Renault Logan dCi, Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI and of course the Etios D4D.
I think this will do pretty well in the taxi segment:
  • Very sturdy body, Fiats still has a reputation in people's minds of lasting very long (remember the Mumbai taxis)
  • Proven engine. 75 bhp is more than enough for Taxi segment, all they care about is FE
  • 15K KMs Service interval - this is a big benefit for Taxis
  • Good boot space and ride comfort
  • Taxi segment does not care about missing safety features or ugly looking wheels
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks