Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 07:42   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

That is my question

I can understand a Storme vs Hexa kind of dimensions. Q501 slightly smaller than Q502.

Ravenavi - any idea which would come first ?
Old 5th December 2017, 09:23   #212
Senior - BHPian

I hope they just dont look at the body image of a SUV but also make sure they take care of the ground clearance. If you look at the competition only Duster (although not in the same class) has good ground clearance.

It might be possible for them to add these body shells to Hexa's underpinnings ?
Old 5th December 2017, 09:54   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I hope they just dont look at the body image of a SUV but also make sure they take care of the ground clearance. If you look at the competition only Duster (although not in the same class) has good ground clearance.

It might be possible for them to add these body shells to Hexa's underpinnings ?
Hexa is based on an older platform. From what I know these 2 new SUVs will have a monocoque chassis.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 15:28   #214
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

I think given the background that even the Nexon has class leading Ground Clearance as also the Hexa and Storme, this is something that TATA will always keep in mind while designing an SUV. Ground clerance should be considered as a given aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Wouldn't that make the 7 seater a little more cramped compared to the 5? Plus, the reduction in boot space to accommodate the third row.
That has been the global trend infact. Lets keep in mind that even the Range Rover is a 5 seater while the Range Rover Sport is a 7 seater in essentially the same size. Similarly the Discovery Sport comes in 5 seater and 7 seater combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That is my question

I can understand a Storme vs Hexa kind of dimensions. Q501 slightly smaller than Q502.
The moment you go towards the Hexa kind of 7 seater dimensions and good interior space then you come up with mini van looks, that is a problem with the Hexa and the Innova. You need to loose space and comfort to get the Fortuner /Endeavour looks. Else you need to compromise space to get the X5 kind of looks. Lets keep in mind that even the Q7 if from a different brand than Audi would be considered to be quite Van like to look at. The Kodiaq is quite borderline. It is quite easy to get it wrong in making a 7 seater Comfortable SUV. Shorter with limited boot space though less practical wins on looks at least. Looks are most important for sales. Practicality can only sell a Van (Innova) not an SUV.
ACM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 16:13   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ravenavi - any idea which would come first ?
All indications are pointing towards a simultaneous launch sometime in the first quarter of AY2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That has been the global trend infact. Lets keep in mind that even the Range Rover is a 5 seater while the Range Rover Sport is a 7 seater in essentially the same size. Similarly the Discovery Sport comes in 5 seater and 7 seater combinations.
Most likely to be the same case for the Q50x twins.

Quote:
The moment you go towards the Hexa kind of 7 seater dimensions and good interior space then you come up with mini van looks, that is a problem with the Hexa and the Innova. You need to loose space and comfort to get the Fortuner /Endeavour looks.
+1. Even the LR/RR SUVs don't have enough space in their 3rd rows.

I am guessing the 3rd row space will be similar to the Hexa. Tata would want to ditch the side-facing seats to make the Q50x SUVs more contemporary. As long as they provide enough space for 2 occupants to sit easily in the 3rd row (head room, shoulder room & knee room), nobody should be complaining.

Quote:
Shorter with limited boot space though less practical wins on looks at least. Looks are most important for sales. Practicality can only sell a Van (Innova) not an SUV.
And the Q50x SUVs will be more about looks. It will be amply spacious in the first two rows as well. 3rd row, as is usual for most SUV lookers, should be decent. Not segment-leading or spacious as heck, but decent enough to carry 2 passengers through rough terrain in the 4x4 modes with some comfort provided.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th December 2017 at 16:15. Reason: elaboration.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:59   #216
BHPian

RavenAvi

Can you share TML's plans for Storme - any upgrades, refresh or keep it as-is until it is sunset when BS-6 is implemented in April-2020 ?

Is TML planning any LOF SUV in their line-up at all (except Hexa).

Looks like its the end of road for an affordable 4x4 SUVs, though Scorpio 4x4 is now available in S11 trim only, crosses 20L, hardly 'affordable' by any means.

cheers
lazy
Old 6th December 2017, 12:37   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hexa is based on an older platform. From what I know these 2 new SUVs will have a monocoque chassis.
I thought they were to be on a shortened Hexa chassis. Would have been nice if it was a ladder-frame chassis, RWD with part time 4WD
Old 6th December 2017, 13:37   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I thought they were to be on a shortened Hexa chassis. Would have been nice if it was a ladder-frame chassis, RWD with part time 4WD
Tata's are known for having heavy vehicles, the new Tata would want to strip it from their future products. Since this is based on LR's monoc platform, it will be very capable off-road SUV, Hexa is a MUV but still is good at off-road. Working with LR they would have fair bit of things which will come in these new SUV's.

Would love to see an actual 5 seater SUV which will have 4WD, apart from duster nothing comes close in this segment.
Old 16th December 2017, 14:07   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

Would love to see an actual 5 seater SUV which will have 4WD, apart from duster nothing comes close in this segment.
Apart from Duster the other option is Jeep Compass.
I am looking to buy a car in this segment - 5 seater spacious SUV with an AWD capability. Considering the improvements in TATA's new launches, these new SUV look promising.
Old 16th December 2017, 17:23   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Tata's are known for having heavy vehicles, the new Tata would want to strip it from their future products. ....
There was recently an interview with the MD of Hyundai motor India in which he stated that Hyundai had noted Suzuki's trend of lighter cars and that they would follow the same only up to a point because they don't want their cars to known as flimsy or affect NVH, like the new Maruti cars.

So TML might have the same reason for limiting weight loss on their new cars, even if they can do better.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 18:43   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Apart from Duster the other option is Jeep Compass.
I am looking to buy a car in this segment - 5 seater spacious SUV with an AWD capability. Considering the improvements in TATA's new launches, these new SUV look promising.
I love the Jeep Compass, but what puts me off is the rear seat comfort and space of offering in the second row. Tata's USP has been ride quality and space on offering so I am sure this will be taken care.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 00:32   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest spyshots from Pune, courtesy good friend AutoSpy.

According to his observations, the test mules had all four disc brakes and the exhaust looked brand new, as if it was production ready.
ODO reading on one of the test mules was at 1,77,000-odd kms, and the MID display was similar to the Nexon.

Also, the Nexon test mule in the first pic was an AMT equipped one.

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-img20180109wa0002.jpg

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-img20180109wa0001.jpg

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-img20180109wa0000.jpg

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-img20180108wa0033.jpg

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-img20180109wa0008.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th January 2018 at 00:35.
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 11:32   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Latest spyshots from Pune, courtesy good friend AutoSpy.

According to his observations, the test mules had all four disc brakes and the exhaust looked brand new, as if it was production ready.
Baffling to say the least !!

Testing a new car with another car's body should be a 1st in the world implementation (atleast what i know!)

It is definitely a smart way to fine-tune a new launch's drive-train for extended periods without anyone knowing.

Or to resolve to ways such as below:-

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-02_audia7blanket.jpg

This makes for an exciting Tata pavilion at the upcoming AutoExpo, with key theme revealed yesterday, along with their IMPACT 2.0 designs

Source:https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...pact-20/29502/

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-tatamotorsautoexpo_827x510_41515412013.jpg

Fingers x crossed

Last edited by Moto$apien : 9th January 2018 at 11:39.
Moto$apien is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 12:11   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Baffling to say the least !!

Testing a new car with another car's body should be a 1st in the world implementation (atleast what i know!)
Volkswagen tested Vento with a Ford Fiesta fascia
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html

This is still within the family.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 17:52   #225
BHPian

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-20eee654809e4971bdb6612ef185e659.jpeg
Played around with photoshop cause saw something different in the rear axle. Going through the pictures one thing I noticed is the way rear axle is, no independent rear suspension like on the original Discovery Sport. Looks like this SUV will be FWD, with option of AWD. I hope this is the case. The pictured car doesn't power rear wheels.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 9th January 2018 at 17:54.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks