Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 22:51   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

The day has ended, and it has been a huge one for Tata.

This was a phase II of their design language, and going by the reactions worldwide, it is a super hit.

Tata HAS come out of its shell. The two designs showcased today are truly world class. They wouldn't look out of place in the portfolio of Toyota, Honda or even JLR.

The way Tata's design team has evolved their smiley grille is commendable. It still remains to be seen how appealing it looks with conventional headlamps.

The competition will have a surely have a tough time beating Tata in looks, features and price.

Tata has always priced their products (save the initial Aria pricing) as value for money, and I am sure their new SUVs and hatch will carry the same.

Love at first sight, it is. Now looking forward to the second date.
ashutoshb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 22:52   #407
BHPian

Absolutely fantabulous design. Tata is definitely maturing the designs. I always complained that the owner of JLR can't make a decent SUV. They just shut my mouth. I'll wait for this baby to replace my vento.
troublemaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 23:35   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Spectacular rear end

Attachment 1725728
God! You said it. What a rear. Save for the glass area on the hatch that's too small, its simply fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al pacino View Post
The side profile looks smashing so does the rear but somehow found the front too bland. Is this the final production version or we can expect some changes ?
Exactly my observation too. Front isn't as aggressive/ equally designed/ radical as the side profile and rear are. Is it the faux silver skid plate border design on the lower part of the bumper? Can't quite tell. Front just seems 'soft' compared to the rest of the design going on in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Agreed but at the same time an arm rest howsoever uncomfortable still folds into the backrest and provides some kind of a seat for the 5th person. This one on the other hand seems to have some kind of a console in the middle. My only point is that this is probably a 4 seater and not a 5 seater as the initial voices were projecting. Yes, very comfortable 4-seater it will be though.
It's a 'close to production' concept, not yet the final iteration. Even Tata knows that a pure 4 seater will not have mass market appeal, as this is going to be a mass market car. Probably this is a novel/ luxury version of 4 seater [niche] and regular variants will come with 5. I feel there will be a 5 seater version for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
Whoa!Tata Motors, you guys have done a wonderful job!This looks really superb. If this is the design that is the future for Tata, things will look promising indeed. Just loved the elegant view from the sides. The rear is nice as well.
You said it! Tata's future seems to be in safe hands with this current design team and head. Hope they remain with Tata and take it to heights previously unassociated with Tata Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Can't have enough of that rear!

This is one stunner I would like to wake up each morning to, and see it proudly standing in my garage and looking at the world.

It's official - I am cancelling my Nexon booking and saving up for the Tata H5X next year.

I have finally found my Creta replacement.
Haha! Makes two of us. Fantastic looking rear. Not sure if i'm blind but some Range Rover inspiration seems evident there, to me.

to your decision. Just hope the production version remains >90% true to this killer concept. Or better in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Perhaps miles ahead of every other manufacturer. No mass-market car since the Nexon has been as well designed as this one. Even a cursory glance at the other "launches" at the expo paint a sorry picture about the innovation capability of other manufacturers. Since the Zest, Tata has been on a roll and it shows. Unfortunately, the stock price and sales have not caught up. I hope they do so soon.
So true sir! No other vehicle from the Expo (so far, it is just day 1) has evoked the sense of 'wow' and interest in the car, as much as the Tata H5X has. Some look meek and bland in comparison to this car. Tata definitely is on a roll and its only about time before the sales rocket and stock prices take further flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Whats this over futuristic ? Anything which you can’t imagine belonging currently is futuristic. There is nothing like over futuristic, its just we can’t imagine something like that. Here the Tata designers definitely deserve a pat, even though there seems like help from JLR team.

This one if gets launched as it is, it can be a game changer for Tata. I would be mortally terrified if I were a rival car maker.
Just his opinion sir, let it pass. Tata certainly has done a fabulous job, there is no doubt about it. And your statement is spot on. Competitors do have a reason to worry about, at least feel concerned, 'cause Tata has woken up to seriously desirable 'Impact' design. All of their current cars like Tigor, Nexon and the H5X now are not at all bad looking or undesirable. For the majority of the people who've seen/ experienced them. Compass, Xuv 500 and Creta may be concerned right now of next year's 1st quarter, this is very likely. Of course, only if Tata gets pricing and reliability right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
If they are able to keep the 90% of the concept design in production with top end 4x4 AT around 18 - 19 L On Road price. Then they have definitely hit a home run.

I am looking for a price range from 10.5 - 16 L for 5 seater version and 12.3 - 18.5 L for 7 seater version.

-PK
Darn right! 90% or more of the concept in production roll-out will surely ensure success for TM. In my opinion, 18L - 19L is the range the 7 seater should slot-in, into. A non-4x4, top of the line diesel variant if in the range of 16L - 16.75L on-road would be smash success for Tata.

Consider the goods on offer. Killer outer design, futuristic lighting and the interiors. Those things are novel, classy and going to cost money. As a customer, i'd rather Tata spend money and get top class quality right than see it executed poorly due to localisation or for keeping costs down.

I do hope this comes at ~16L on-road. It's also a shade bigger than Compass and Creta, not way much taller. So wishing a sub 17L price is desirable for the 5 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Tata HAS come out of its shell. The two designs showcased today are truly world class.

The competition will have a surely have a tough time beating Tata in looks, features and price.

Love at first sight, it is. Now looking forward to the second date.
Statement of the day, sir. Indeed, Tata has evolved out of its shell and how. Extremely impactful.

We don't know price yet, but surely competition might break a sweat on design and possibly, features. Love at first sight too, no kidding. Eagerly awaiting the second date as well, knowing its going to be almost a year away. Showrooms will be flooded when this goes in for sales. I can almost bet.

--------

Did anyone notice the embedded screen in the driver/ passenger seats backrest? Simply WOW! I'm in love!
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 00:21   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

It's a 'close to production' concept, not yet the final iteration. Even Tata knows that a pure 4 seater will not have mass market appeal, as this is going to be a mass market car. Probably this is a novel/ luxury version of 4 seater [niche] and regular variants will come with 5. I feel there will be a 5 seater version for sure.
However hope this arrangement would be provided as an option on their longer wheelbase variant.. for the first 2 rows.That would up the luxury quotient a few notches!

BTW, What's with all the touch buttons, hope they have some tactile feedback so as to avoid taking eyes off the road. However don't think these niceties would make it to the production version. The electronic parking brakes would be good though.

Don't know what it's like at HMIL, they haven't even shown their creta facelift today.
Old 8th February 2018, 02:29   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Here is link to official concept video
This was brilliant to watch. Especially, that bit at 1:30 in the video where they show the LR Discovery Sport.

The H5X and 45X have brilliant designs. It's easy to design something loud and gaudy like the pre-Pininfarina Mahindra designs and it's easy to design something very understated and almost forgettable such as the old Safaris and Indicas. Tata has certainly struck the right chord here with a design that screams style, while at the same time getting the proportions 'just' right. The wheels sizes are spot on, and they most definitely comply with Jeremy Clarkson's holy rule of car design 101, that is, the wheel arches must rise to at least 50% of the car's overall height.

Sure, we can argue that the front could be a bit more aggressive, or that the rear could have a bigger glass area, but in my opinion, design is highly subjective (just like this opinion of mine is). This is the design that Tata's 180 strong global design team decided upon, and it is probably the best for their product range as well. In terms of raw appeal, I don't think any vehicle in production in India comes even remotely close. In fact, the sister car, the LR Disco Sport now looks kind of bland in comparison to this concept.

Of course, there will be changes when the car reaches production. There will be more feasible lighting tech being used, smaller rims (probably topping out at 19"), more rugged and feasible interiors (I do hope it retains the massive touchscreen though), and many other tiny changes. However, I saw a video from The Quint where Pratap Bose said that compared to the the Nexon, which was close to 95% faithful to the 2016 Auto Expo 'production ready' design, the H5X would be around 80-85% faithful to today's concept design. This is promising, since it probably means that the final product will still be one of the best looking SUVs in the market (other than LR's Range Rover Velar and Jaguar's E-Pace, again, subjectively).

One of the main things I'd love to see in this car in its production guise is all-LED lighting, for both the interiors and exteriors. My Hexa comes close, but is let down by the fact that they stuck with halogens for the headlamps, reverse light and indicators and even, oddly, for things like the vanity mirror, glovebox, boot and puddle lamps. We upgraded the headlamps to Philips Ultinons in order to further achieve that goal and by extension also reduce the load on the battery and alternator as the LEDs consume a fraction of the power the halogens do.

As far as customer support goes, Tata is improving every single day. My posts on the Hexa thread are a testament to that. I have my third free service scheduled tomorrow and before I'd even booked a slot for it, the local dealer called us to inform that a few components will be updated (ie., replaced on company's order), such as the wiper motors and the tyre pressure labels. They're certainly being proactive and prompt with complete transparency and I'm sure we'll see more of that along the way.

Meanwhile, I'm just too impatient to see this car in the flesh and take it out for a drive!

Last edited by ampere : 8th February 2018 at 07:27. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
rshnvjy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 02:32   #411
BHPian

Absolutely Stunning and mindblowing!!!

People found it hard to believe when I told them this is TATA reborn after owning and experiencing the fantastic Hexa XTA.

And now the same people cannot believe their eyes looking at this fantabulous design of the H5X.

Great Job TATA. You have made your fans and believers proud.

I am sold.

Flash777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 06:09   #412
Senior - BHPian

Walk-around video by motoroids
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 07:37   #413
BHPian

Not sure if this is mentioned already, the fuel tank lid is in the right side of the vehicle [driver side] which is not the norm for Indian cars!

One question - who has the authority to create the "Tata" thread under the "Auto show" category? Is it because the generic "Auto show 2018" itself is filled with Tata motors discussion that the moderators didnt think of a need for Tata thread?
Old 8th February 2018, 07:54   #414
BANNED

Tata reaping benefits of JLR acquisition.Clear design inspirations visible here in H5X, which I think is most beautiful new design shown in 2018 Auto Expo. While I was a little disappointed with Nexon because of those ceramic strips and rear design which divided opinions but this is a perfect balance of aggressive and understated looks. Although this won't stay as true to the concept in production as Nexon did but I do hope that they retain that integrated driver and center console.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:13   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
One question - who has the authority to create the "Tata" thread under the "Auto show" category? Is it because the generic "Auto show 2018" itself is filled with Tata motors discussion that the moderators didnt think of a need for Tata thread?
I think Tata have the most exciting stall at the Expo and it would take a while for the compilation of pictures, and moderator notes to come in. Probably they are yet to come out of being wowed!

discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 08:15   #416
Senior - BHPian

Unlike other manufacturers Tata have displayed so many cars and concepts in this expo. In addition to this they have interesting commercial vehicles as well. Looks like mods are taking time to compile everything and give us extensive report. If you remember, same thing happened during last expo as well.

Last edited by Latheesh : 8th February 2018 at 08:17.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:18   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Not sure if this is mentioned already, the fuel tank lid is in the right side of the vehicle [driver side] which is not the norm for Indian cars!
Nice ! I actually liked it on the right side. Much easier to pull up at the bunk, sit in your seat and yet keep an eye on the filling.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 08:53   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Am perhaps going against the tide, but isn't this design totally overdone and gawdy? Yes it has created an IMPACT but not in a nice way. In my personal opinion, this looks more like a Mahindra design - very busy, too many creases, and trying hard to be noticed. Worst is the front end is so soft (uncannily reminds me of the Sumo Grande).

Why cannot we have designs similar to the neat European designs ala Skoda Kodiaq?

Sorry Tata Motors, think you got the design wrong on the Nexon and this just takes that philosophy forward. It may be a futuristic, but probably a step too ahead of its time. ......or I am getting old faster than I would have imagined.
True that. Agree. I also would go against the tide and say that I am not liking this. Nexon was over designed in my opinion and this is gaudy. Completely different from what I expected with TATA. I hope final version is different. Actually the design looks a lot like it's inspired from Kuv 100.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:59   #419
BHPian

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-tatacars.jpg

See, what I found in the official Tata video of H5X concept. There is a glimpse of 7 seater SUV. You will find this at 0:09 and 0:11 secs.

Last edited by varunswnt : 8th February 2018 at 09:01.
varunswnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 09:17   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
True that. Agree. I also would go against the tide and say that I am not liking this. Nexon was over designed in my opinion and this is gaudy. Actually the design looks a lot like it's inspired from Kuv 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Am I missing something here. Is this not a concept of H5X ? You might call me stupid, but I will call this design as over futuristic than expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Am perhaps going against the tide, but isn't this design totally overdone and gawdy?

Why cannot we have designs similar to the neat European designs ala Skoda Kodiaq?

Sorry Tata Motors, think you got the design wrong on the Nexon and this just takes that philosophy forward. It may be a futuristic, but probably a step too ahead of its time. ......or I am getting old faster than I would have imagined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
+1 to that. This definitely looks like Mahindra design. This evoked the same kind of feeling when I saw the XUV500 for the first time. Tata, please go back to the clean lines and smooth curves of your Impact 1 design.
Lovers of true blue old school SUVs, please step aside (includes me to a large extent). This is the new age. This is how the current generation loves their cars. This is what will sell. A Toyota Landcruiser Prado doesn't bring out such emotions anymore. Those at the AutoExpo can vouch for where the crowds are.

While there are quite a few who reject the Nexon for its looks, there were close to 5000 people who put their money on it last month. A clean design but much accomplished Hexa is struggling yet to be accepted while the decade old (?) quirky (then) XUV500 sells more than it. The Fortuner lost its masculine looks to something more alien (futuristic) and still sells more than the other two.

Clean lines look good. Will they sell enough?
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks