Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:54   #436
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Just wondering what that lever is behind the gear knob where the hand-brake has to be?
Cabin does look very spacious but hope they don't exclude rear AC vents as in the Ecosport. Also the C-pillar windows look so big that you may think this is a 7-seater!
I think its the way that black masking tape is used that makes the rear window look big. Plus they have used a dummy panel sitting on top of the rear hatch in order to disguise design lines, which makes the rear look longer than what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
ACI's article mentions this prototype does not have a sunroof, the portion marked in red is it the middle row light or a sunroof like mechanism? It would be a bummer to not included a sunroof in this vehicle, sure the top exec's know about this.
That looks like the interior light Tata uses in all its vehicles. Panoramic sunroof, quite frankly is expecting too much now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Guys, the above one is a PROTOTYPE! Anyone who has been inside a Tata Nexon will not doubt that H5X is going to get a very good looking interior. Tata engineers would have at least that knowledge that a vehicle higher in segment than Nexon should get more better interior. Please don’t start another Tata bashing series that too based on imaginations. What do you expect from prototypes afterall .
+1. As this gets positioned above Nexon and just below Hexa and in competition to Creta and Compass, expect interiors to be awesome.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 13:43   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
I was going through the current Feb sales figures. The H5X based on what I have heard is in the C2 segment where there is an ample number of competing options and it will be difficult for Tata to make an early breakthrough. However the 7 seater will be in the D1 segment which has a relatively smaller number of competitors with the ageing XUV and no Suzuki model to skew the charts. Also the segment topper Innova will never be a competition to a well made 7 seater proper SUV.

So all this news of the 7 seater coming in 2020 and 5 seater in 2019 makes no sense.

For Tata to make a killing the 7 seater should be priority and launched ASAP if both vehicles cannot be launched together. Else Mahindra or Toyota or even Suzuki will launch something in this slot and Tata might lose out on a superb opportunity. Hope they are listening and they make the right choice and launch the 7 seater on priority.
The seven seater will be costlier than Hexa which in itself is a brilliant product. But still, the xuv and crysta are affected only to a certain extent. 1000 units of Hexa on an average are decent figures but not something to boast about.
Keeping all these in mind it makes sense not to again go for the same segment with a costlier product but enter a segment where they don't have a product at all.

So what if the competition is more. If the product speaks for itself, then TATA can generate more profits than in the d1 segment. And launching another 7 seater closely following Hexa makes no sense when you compare it to launching a car in a category where they do not have a product at all.
Old 15th March 2018, 13:57   #438
BHPian

Quote:
The seven seater will be costlier than Hexa which in itself is a brilliant product. But still, the xuv and crysta are affected only to a certain extent.
The Hexa and Crysta are more MUVs so not direct competition to the H7X. The XUV too is a crossover with only a 4x4 high range. Hence this is a unique segment because large pure SUV's with 4x4 are typically starting in the D2 segment.

As for the C2 segment the Nexon is already there selling decent and a fairly new entrant. The segment leader there is the Brezza which is a compact SUV like the Nexon.
Old 12th April 2018, 15:52   #439
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow I get the feeling that the H5X / H7X would both be monocoque being based on the LR platform and hence the ride would be more like the XUV500 rather than the Hexa. The Storm as we know is not upto modern standards though it is ladder frame like the Fortuner, Endeavour and Hexa.

TATA should have also developed a Ladder Frame SUV's looking like the Storme or Fortuner or Endeavour instead of the HEXA that looks closer to the Innova. Somehow that opportunity is missed. I love the Hexa but it looks too much like the Innova and hence is compared with it instead of the Fortuner and the Storme is too obsolete compared to their own Hexa and new platforms won't be ladder frame. Essentially there is a niche spot that caters to guys like me that is missed out.

Looks come first and get you in the heart. Things like last row seat spaciousness that Hexa excels at come second in the SUV segment.

Last edited by ACM : 12th April 2018 at 15:55.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 19:49   #440
BHPian

So correct me if I am wrong but the ZF 9HP transmission is a torque converter based solution http://www.atra.com/Webinars/Chrysle...troduction.pdf so efficiency in city might be around the same mark as 6l50 https://www.punchpowerglide.com/cn/t...c-transmission

But given the monocoque chassis design of the H5X/H7X it would be lighter thus more fuel efficient than a HEXA for sure.
Old 16th April 2018, 22:01   #441
Senior - BHPian

Our family Storme has already clocked 85k. And the H5X would be the perfect replacement. So if all goes as per plan, we might be the first ones to book the H5X in our town.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 14:48   #442
BHPian

Does anyone know a more definitive timeline for the launch of H7X (insider news)? The rumors and the internet is putting the timelines all over the place so very hard to correlate a tentative launch time.

I have a 2014 manual XUV and I wish to change it for butch automatic SUV. The new XUV is tempting but I don't want to settle for the same cockpit only for an automatic and a slight bump in power. The Hexa has been ruled out due to
1.) Non inspiring interior features (no power seats, poor small & laggy infotainment missing AA, lack of space around the dashboard, poorly sharped armrest, etc)
2.) No AWD, ESP & rollover mitigation in AT
3.) Uncertain future & resale after H5X & H7X hit the market.

The Endy which I loved is too far for me budget wise for 3.2 and 2.2 is also not quite in my comfort zone but more of a stretched budget. Plus the launch of new engines by Ford in Aug-Sep makes me wait it out.

That kind of leaves me with upcoming Mahindra Rexton (XUV700) or Tata H7X provided they aren't pricier than Endeavor 2.2 Titanium.

I'm worried about my XUV dropping low in resale value if I wait it out too long because of the new XUV being launched.

Hence a bit curious about the launch time for the H7X.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 15:09   #443
BHPian

Would like to highlight a point you mentioned: uncertain future for Hexa once H7X is launched. The future is as uncertain for Hexa due to H7X, as it is for Innova due to Fortuner.
The price bands maybe different, but the principles are the same.

Regarding the decrease on resale: if anything, the resale would definitely improve if H7X turns out to be a great product. It will go a long way in improving the brand image of TATA and indirectly benefiting other products in the seconds market.

As for the launch of this SUV, i believe it has to happen within a year, going by the increase in number of sightings of the test mule.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 24th April 2018 at 15:10.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 17:24   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to highlight a point you mentioned: uncertain future for Hexa once H7X is launched. The future is as uncertain for Hexa due to H7X, as it is for Innova due to Fortuner.
The price bands maybe different, but the principles are the same.

Regarding the decrease on resale: if anything, the resale would definitely improve if H7X turns out to be a great product. It will go a long way in improving the brand image of TATA and indirectly benefiting other products in the seconds market.

As for the launch of this SUV, i believe it has to happen within a year, going by the increase in number of sightings of the test mule.
Going by your analogy it seems you are pretty certain that both Hexa and H7X will be in very separate vehicle classes. However it also seems like TATA Motors will be looking to price it very competitively. If rumors are to be true, H5X will start around 13-15L mark and hence the H7X can be priced slightly higher at around 16-18L mark. Hexa starts at around 12L mark upto 17L roughly. If the H7X is going to be significantly premium vs the Hexa and in a different class altogether, then the not so big price gap between Hexa and H7X will seriously cannibalize the sales of Hexa.

I'm also of the same opinion that it will be adequately more premium than the Hexa (I'll be damned if Tata do a Nexon here and choose the better interior layout & features on a lower segment and only enrich the higher segment with marginally better quality of plastics, etc.) plus on a more trusted body platform of Discovery. In that case how much sense does it make for Tata to continue selling the Hexa.

Also, regardless of the brand value added in future by H5X & H7X to Tata Motors, if there is a better equipped car vs. the Hexa from the same brand why would anyone look at Hexa in the resale market (look at Xylo's fate vs Scorpio). Heck what would even Tata gain by continuing to invest in marketing, sales and support of Hexa. The only thing they can do is give Hexa a proper low range 4x4 given it's body on frame pinning and hope to substitute the Storme with Hexa. It may even further down the image of Hexa and pinch the existing owners given the light in which their once flagship car from TATA will be looked at.

If I'm not mistaken, I read / heard somewhere Tata folks admitting themselves that the current product lineup is more of a stop gap till they start rolling out products that follow their impact design 2.0 body language. All situations combined look ominous for Hexa. Please pardon me if my adding of 1+1=2 is not correct and no offense to existing Hexa owners. There was no way to know how things will unfold when Hexa was launched a couple of years ago.
Old 25th April 2018, 09:21   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
In that case how much sense does it make for Tata to continue selling the Hexa.
It is possible that the Hexa will still make numbers in the taxi/ selfdrive car rental market. Considering it is in the MPV space, it will have its own customer base.
In my opinion, the H5X/ H7X twins are in a separate subcategory. I hope they launch it with an awesome automatic version. It is the crying need of the day.

As a product range, it seems feasible for them to coexist. maybe the price of top end models of one may overlap with the base models of the other. However, this is exactly where Maruti makes a killing.
If Tata can replicate that and offer more choices to us customers, that is always a good thing. Let us think of our benefits first and then about Tata

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th April 2018 at 09:22.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:00   #446
BHPian

@selfdrive it is actually great that Hexa makes 1000+ units in the private consumer market as it is not yet available for the commercial market. There's no way to confirm this but then, AFAIK, the taxi market are keen on getting the Hexa but TATA has not yet permitted commercial buyers to swoop in. We did have a discussion in this forum if such an arrangement was possible and it seems that is so. Not true for the rentals though.

@torque_aanjaney i wouldn't delve too much on this topic without even knowing the slightest of what the pricing would be. All kinds of guesses will lead to different arguments. As someone stated, if they could pull a maruti, nothing like it. We cannot predict on the Indian market but i still believe both products to coexist with folks who want an SUV with good third row comfort going for Hexa and those who need a true blue SUV going for the H7X.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:26   #447
BHPian

Quote:
@selfdrive it is actually great that Hexa makes 1000+ units in the private consumer market as it is not yet available for the commercial market. There's no way to confirm this but then, AFAIK, the taxi market are keen on getting the Hexa but TATA has not yet permitted commercial buyers to swoop in. We did have a discussion in this forum if such an arrangement was possible and it seems that is so. Not true for the rentals though.
Hexa sold to Zoomcar..I understand it is for commercial purpose ..
Old 25th April 2018, 10:30   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Hexa sold to Zoomcar..I understand it is for commercial purpose ..
If you can read my post again, i did say that it was not the case for rentals. There's a difference between black and yellow board registrations!
Old 25th April 2018, 10:59   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@selfdrive it is actually great that Hexa makes 1000+ units in the private consumer market as it is not yet available for the commercial market.
That is why I said it 'will still make numbers'; not 'is making numbers'
I was talking about capability, not current situation.

If Innova/ Ertiga can sell well in the taxi market and in the private space, then the Hexa can too. It is not in the entry segment unlike the Indica. As is with Innova or Ertiga, Hexa also could hold aspirational value for both sets of customers.
Old 25th April 2018, 12:29   #450
BHPian

Quote:
We cannot predict on the Indian market but i still believe both products to coexist with folks who want an SUV with good third row comfort going for Hexa and those who need a true blue SUV going for the H7X.
I think the confusion is also because of the Hexa positioning as an SUV. Its competition is mostly in the MUV market as its a crossover in the sense an MUV with some SUV features. The Safari is the large SUV in the current lineup and it is the Safari that the H7X should be replacing. The H5X should be the medium SUV which is currently an empty slot but was earlier occupied by the Sierra and to an extent the Sumo Grande. Hence I believe the H5X should be called the Sierra and the H7X the Safari though we have been hearing the name Merlin pop up from time to time as well.

I sometimes think that while the LR connection to the SUV is evident the heritage should really be that of the iconic Indian SUVs like the Sierra and Safari which introduced the SUV era and used to be aspirational for us in the school/college years.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed