Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 11:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Vento GT TSI to launch on 3rd October 2013

^^^ That probably hints at the price of ownership & maturity levels of the buyers, unlike boy racers, who would any day prefer a bigger NA engine & cheaper ownership costs, to mitigate their misdeeds with their car (weird & whacky mods) & careless maintenance.

I would say it is preferable for those who would like to have the luxury of fast snapping automatic transmission & Euro brand.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Not suggesting that the age bracket is incorrect , but i think it should be lower.

You have a suggested household income of 16-17 Lacs , in a double family or even depending on the industry you are from , this could be achieved as early as 27-28 these days.

TSI / DSG - a certain appeal will come from the enthusiasts community which would span across age groups and would include younger audiences as well

What i fear VW would do is create an ad which shows a very 'corporate' association with the car , which is fine but that's just one element - different communication can be created for other segments very easily.

It takes as little as INR 500 to make a web banner , so when the roll out their campaign online , assign a certain % of the inventory to other audiences. For example run something targeting the 35 plus segment on portals such as Yahoo or MSN , but when coming down to forums such as ours or others , have a mix - target enthusiasts as well . Its not complicated to do at all , neither is it going to cost extra money because it will be done within the same budget , at the maximum they will end up spending 5000-8000 INR in making another set of banners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
^^^ That probably hints at the price of ownership & maturity levels of the buyers, unlike boy racers, who would any day prefer a bigger NA engine & cheaper ownership costs, to mitigate their misdeeds with their car (weird & whacky mods) & careless maintenance.

I would say it is preferable for those who would like to have the luxury of fast snapping automatic transmission & Euro brand.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:52   #108
BHPian

Just got a call from my surprisingly quiet SA to alert me of the launch that will happen apparently this week.

They don't have pricing details at this point in time. He wanted to know if was interested in swapping my booking from a Polo to a Vento.

Heart (polo) vs. Practicality (vento).
Heart (me) vs. Practicality (wife)

Let the internal debate begin.
stumpz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 12:06   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
Just got a call from my surprisingly quiet SA to alert me of the launch that will happen apparently this week.

They don't have pricing details at this point in time. He wanted to know if was interested in swapping my booking from a Polo to a Vento.

Heart (polo) vs. Practicality (vento).
Heart (me) vs. Practicality (wife)

Let the internal debate begin.
Well put. Exactly in the same boat myself. I have a Sedan currently. My heart wanted the Polo TSI, so booked it. Although practically speaking the Amaze AT would have been choice if I went with my mind and practicality.

Then the news of the Vento TSI came and it seems to be a good balance between heart and practicality. .

I think the X Factor here is the launch price. Anything around 12L on Road Bangalore will create a debate at-least in my mind.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Not suggesting that the age bracket is incorrect , but i think it should be lower.

You have a suggested household income of 16-17 Lacs , in a double family or even depending on the industry you are from , this could be achieved as early as 27-28 these days.

TSI / DSG - a certain appeal will come from the enthusiasts community which would span across age groups and would include younger audiences as well

What i fear VW would do is create an ad which shows a very 'corporate' association with the car , which is fine but that's just one element - different communication can be created for other segments very easily.

It takes as little as INR 500 to make a web banner , so when the roll out their campaign online , assign a certain % of the inventory to other audiences. For example run something targeting the 35 plus segment on portals such as Yahoo or MSN , but when coming down to forums such as ours or others , have a mix - target enthusiasts as well . Its not complicated to do at all , neither is it going to cost extra money because it will be done within the same budget , at the maximum they will end up spending 5000-8000 INR in making another set of banners.
Hi @puchoo

I fear we are going off topic. But still, IMO buying a car is a different thing as compared to overall ownership. These days many people can buy almost any sedan even before they turn 30, but, it is the service cost & time involved that they may find draining as an born again enthusiast. For most enthusiasts owning a Swift is enough.... it is a fantastic car to drive, yet easy on pocket & time to service. Being the best seller, you would find ample after market mod options again at cheaper prices. I would not, on the contrary, term this person as enthusiast. A person who keeps his car & engine in best condition yet saving performance for the day when required (like a Parsi owner) is an enthusiast for me, as he/ she feels & relates with the car & cherishes every ride of the car.

However, this may not be the case with Vento/ Polo TSI (till the petrol turbo charging tech is commonplace in our country, which may take time because of Japanese/ Korean dominance in our market & their reluctance to use turbo charging tech in petrol engines).

Moreover, there is more to petrol turbo charging than steaming ahead in point A to B road races, viz - you get bigger car power, emissions are lower & efficiency is higher (of you drive sanely, but not otherwise). But, there is a catch, the engine is more stressed out (revs more & the turbo charger can be a pain to maintain). More parts (including tricky electronics) & oils are there to make sure everything works well. These can easily wane off any person & then people come up with phrases "costly European cars", etc.

I guess that what the maturity & patience of a person who is entering middle ages come into picture.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:36   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think the X Factor here is the launch price. Anything around 12L on Road Bangalore will create a debate at-least in my mind.
Currently, Vento Highline AT costs Rs 12L(On road Bangalore). So I guess Vento TSi would be at least Rs 1L more(because of the DSG and imported TSi engine). So in Bangalore it would be around Rs 13L(On road).

Only difference between Polo GT TSi and Vento TSi being
- Boot
- Seat covers( 'Milan' Titanschwarz fabric upholstery vs Leatherette)
- Little more leg space(not very sure about this)

I guess Polo is better value(i.e difference of Rs 3L) proposition compared to the Vento(unless you need the bigger boot space).

You also might get Vento quicker than the Polo.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 9th October 2013 at 12:48. Reason: Small correction
Old 9th October 2013, 12:49   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Currently, Vento Highline AT costs Rs 12,00,647(On road Bangalore).

Only difference between Polo GT TSi and Vento TSi being
- Boot
- Seat covers( 'Milan' Titanschwarz fabric upholstery vs Leatherette)
- Little more leg space(not very sure about this)

I guess Polo is better value(i.e difference of 3 lakhs) proposition compared to the Vento(unless you need the bigger boot).
I think they increased the price of AT. As per the price list I have (As of Sept 15th), the current Vento AT cost ~12.4. If I am not mistaken, 1.2 ltr engines have tax related benefits as opposed to 1.6. That was why I was assuming that they can price it close to the current AT. I am also hoping they have an agrressive launch price to lure folks who have booked the Polo TSI and are waiting .

You are right, the key different is boot space and rear leg room. Polo is pretty cramped in the back. But as you said definitely not worth if the difference is 3L +.

And if it can lure away folks waiting for the polo, may get the polo also quicker

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th October 2013 at 12:51. Reason: additional contents
Old 9th October 2013, 12:59   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I think they increased the price of AT. As per the price list I have (As of Sept 15th), the current Vento AT cost ~12.4.

If I am not mistaken, 1.2 ltr engines have tax related benefits as opposed to 1.6. That was why I was assuming that they can price it close to the current AT.
I took the price from the Carwale(which might not have been updated), and you are right in saying Vento TSi might get tax benefits because of the 1.2 ltr engine. I had missed this point.
Old 9th October 2013, 14:09   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think they increased the price of AT. As per the price list I have (As of Sept 15th), the current Vento AT cost ~12.4.
Pricelist you have is an old one. Now Vento AT costs 12.8L OTR Bangalore
Old 9th October 2013, 14:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, 1.2 ltr engines have tax related benefits as opposed to 1.6. That was why I was assuming that they can price it close to the current AT.
Tax benefit upto 1.2 ltr engines only if the car is less than 4 meters. So, Vento will not get that benefit.
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 15:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Tax benefit upto 1.2 ltr engines only if the car is less than 4 meters. So, Vento will not get that benefit.
It is incorrect to say there is no tax advantage. Irrespective of the length Excise duty of cars above 1.5 litre is 27% and below 1.5 litre is 24%. So there is a 3% advantage that the Vento will get by bringing in the 1.2 litre.

What you are talking about is the 12% slab for which the car has to be below 4 meters in addition to the engine cubic capacity

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 9th October 2013 at 15:29.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 18:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

Is the difference in Excise duty applicable only to the imported content (engine, etc) or the whole car as such.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Tweet from ACI
New #Volkswagen #Vento #TSI will come with a 1.2-litre turbo petrol motor and 7-speed DSG gearbox. Launching soon

It's 1.2TSi not 1.4
Volkswagen Vento TSI ready for launch
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-358611.aspx
Old 10th October 2013, 00:43   #119
BHPian

Quote:
The Verna diesel AT costs around 13L on road, and it is a pretty good box even for a 4 speed one. It would be tough for the Vento TSI if priced in the same range.
Old 10th October 2013, 09:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
The Verna diesel AT costs around 13L on road, and it is a pretty good box even for a 4 speed one. It would be tough for the Vento TSI if priced in the same range.
Pretty good? It's the same box that they have used for ages from the days of the Santro AT - an ancient 4-speed TC unit. Reliable yes but nowhere near the efficiency and refinement of a 7-speed DSG unit. I don't think they will charge as much as the Verna. The City AT is more of a direct competitor. I'm guessing about 12l on road in Delhi. Not to mention, the Verna being a 1.6 liter engine, pays 27% excise. The Vento and City pay 24%.

Most Viewed