Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 15:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?

Mod Note: Our Renault Lodgy Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Link to News Section

Badge engineering hasn't worked well in the Indian car market, which is littered with examples of dud-selling badge engineered cars such as the Renault Pulse and Scala, to name just a couple. Volkswagen and Skoda too, haven't succeeded in boosting sales volumes through badge engineering.

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-nissan-evalia-mpv.jpg

The poor sales results that badge engineering has delivered in India, has prompted car makers to strive for a higher level of differentiation (Nissan Terrano SUV) and has also resulted in one of them (Nissan) eschewing this approach altogether. For the record, the Nissan Terrano (a rebadged Renault Duster) will be the last badge engineered Nissan to be sold in India.

A report carried by the TimesOfIndia suggests that Renault India isn't done with badge engineering yet, with the French car planning reportedly rebadging the Nissan Evalia, in order to launch it under the Renault banner. If this indeed happens, three versions of the Evalia could be running on Indian roads: the Nissan Evalia, Renault's version of the Evalia and the Ashok Leyland Stile.

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-dacia-lodgy-mpv.jpg

If Renault does badge engineer the Evalia, one's left wondering about the fate of the Dacia Lodgy MPV, Renault's original MPV choice for the Indian car market. The Dacia Lodgy, based on the second generation Logan platform is a 7 seat MPV that is powered by the 1.5 liter K9K turbo diesel engine.

The Lodgy was launched in Europe last year and was slated to come to India next year, with an unveil likely to happen at the 2014 Indian Auto Expo. The latest buzz suggests otherwise as it would make no sense for Renault to launch both the Nissan Evalia and the Lodgy in India.

So, it's either the rebadged Evalia or the Dacia Lodgy that will be launched in India, as an MPV model wearing the Renault badge. Going by the dismal performance of the Nissan Evalia at the hustings, Renault selling the Lodgy in India makes more sense. The Nissan Evalia for its part, is due for a facelift in the coming weeks.

Renault India also has plans of launching the A-Entry, 800 cc small car after 2 years. The A-Entry will be the brand's least priced car model and will compete in the sub-4 lakh rupee segment. The car's 800 cc, triple cylinder petrol engine is being developed by the Renault-Nissan Technical Center at Chennai. The car is said to share parts with the Datsun i2 hatchback.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2015 at 14:07. Reason: Adding link to review :)
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?

Firstly, I thought Renault and Nissan announced that Duster is the last badge engineered product they will have(and if they still havent learnt a lesson that it doesnt work in India, cant help)

and Secondly, After looking at success of Ertiga, upcoming Brio MPV and Hyundai MPV. I dont think the Evalia ever stands a chance.

And lastly, Where will the Go and Go+ from datsun fit ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?

with @rajshenoy, Renault Nissan have been claiming since ages that Duster-Terrano will be the last badge engineered products, & now this .

I feel because of this indecisiveness they have lagged behind in International Auto scenario. Had they realised the importance of small car market like India, & not on winning Formula 1, I am sure they would have been much better position financially, & otherwise.

However, I hope if the Renault badged Evalia is launched, they improve upon all the shortcomings the Nissan version has, else they would only end up rationalising the production & costs
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 16:39   #4
BHPian

If common sense prevailed, they would only take the models that were successful and launch their badge-engineered equivalents. For example, if someone were to sell a Ford EcoSport under a different badge, there would be lots of takers for it, especially if there were the possibility to transfer an existing Ford EcoSport booking to the badge-engineered variant.

Now, speaking of the Evalia, take one look at it. No, no, this isn't a trick - look at the vehicle. Does it look like it would appeal to the Indian folk? The small rear windows would help reduce the need for sun films, though the large windshield offsets any benefit. The shape of the window on the front door is not likely to generate any interest either. Then, there's the front quarter panel glass that would help the Evalia avoid winning any beauty contests.

The Dacia Lodgy is prettier with the clean lines for the windows, and with a bit of work, they can give it looks that would sell. Or they can license a design that works and go with it.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 20:41   #5
BHPian

I too believed that Renault-Nissan Alliance might have ended their badge engineering. Instead of Renault's variant of already failed Nissan Evalia, they should consider bringing Dacia Lodgy. By the way another Dacia product, Duster is Renault India's bread and butter model. So it will be more sensible.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 21:41   #6
BHPian

Renault-Nissan is a global alliance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...issan_Alliance

They have been strategic partners since 1999 and have a common CEO (Carlos Ghosn). He is one of the top rated CEOs in Industry circles.

Now back to the products; as long as there is a product with Nissan or Renault, they will do badge engineering. It doesn't matter who made the sale, the money goes into a common kitty

Badge engineering is new to India, but not in matured markets where brand loyalty is crucial. The customer experience for both the companies are different. Unfortunately in India both these companies are new and yet to spread their wings.

A Duster from Renault may not sell like a Terrano from Nissan in many markets, just because of the brand name. Both companies will set to gain in their respective markets with the same product.

Now that Evalia is already manufactured by Nissan, it is no surprise to see Renault do a badge engineering. Evalia has comfortable broad 3 row seating with good luggage space. IMO, If Evalia had a better interior, it would have sold well. I personally hated the dashboard. Or may be thats the strategy. Renault will come with a premium product.

In India I would look at it as large variety of variants of the same product covering a large price band.

Last edited by HillMan : 27th September 2013 at 21:45.
Old 28th September 2013, 19:30   #7
BHPian

Found this vehicle being tested on the outskirts of Chennai, on our way to Bangalore. Couldn't get a face shot. This was around 6PM and the traffic was very dense and average speeds very low.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_0838_2.jpg  

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_0837.jpg  

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_0836.jpg  

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_0834.jpg  

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_0829.jpg  

carrerastrax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 00:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Found this vehicle being tested on the outskirts of Chennai, on our way to Bangalore. Couldn't get a face shot. This was around 6PM and the traffic was very dense and average speeds very low.
From its alloys, black door handles, ORVMs & covered badge on its tail-gate, for sure it's Ashok Leyland Stile.

Just try to take the cues from these pics, posted on some auto website,

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_1099.jpg

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_1216.jpg

Rumour: Renault badge-engineering the Nissan Evalia, instead of the Dacia Lodgy?-img_1094.jpg
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 12:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Firstly, I thought Renault and Nissan announced that Duster is the last badge engineered product they will have(and if they still havent learnt a lesson that it doesnt work in India, cant help)

and Secondly, After looking at success of Ertiga, upcoming Brio MPV and Hyundai MPV. I dont think the Evalia ever stands a chance.

And lastly, Where will the Go and Go+ from datsun fit ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
with @rajshenoy, Renault Nissan have been claiming since ages that Duster-Terrano will be the last badge engineered products, & now this .

I feel because of this indecisiveness they have lagged behind in International Auto scenario. Had they realised the importance of small car market like India, & not on winning Formula 1, I am sure they would have been much better position financially, & otherwise.

However, I hope if the Renault badged Evalia is launched, they improve upon all the shortcomings the Nissan version has, else they would only end up rationalising the production & costs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I too believed that Renault-Nissan Alliance might have ended their badge engineering. Instead of Renault's variant of already failed Nissan Evalia, they should consider bringing Dacia Lodgy. By the way another Dacia product, Duster is Renault India's bread and butter model. So it will be more sensible.
Mr Kenichiro Yomura, the MD of Nissan India, has indicated that "Nissan" would stop badge engineering cars for the Indian car market. There's no word from Renault India yet. Hence, the confusion.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed