Team-BHP - Driving Licence to go online in Bangalore. Launch on Oct 7th '13
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Driving Licence to go online in Bangalore. Launch on Oct 7th '13 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/142310-driving-licence-go-online-bangalore-launch-oct-7th-13-a.html)

Quote:

You can now apply online for your learner's and driving licences. Starting October 7, the transport department will enable citizens to apply for these services through the RTO portal.

The online facility will also provide the licence applicant the freedom to choose the particular RTO from where she/he would like to get the document issued.
Another interesting part of the news:

Quote:

Announcing the online facility, transport minister R Ramalinga Reddy said the move will weed touts out of RTO offices. The proposed Vahan service - online registration of vehicles portal through automobile dealers - will be implemented later.
Source: Times of India

You need not wait till 7-Oct. It is already active. I just checked and got to see following options on rto.kar.nic.in>Online Applications:But still we cannot pay road tax online.

One set out touts out another set in , these guys have their shortcuts when it comes to getting car documents done , and it will be no different with licenses.

Announcing the online facility, transport minister R Ramalinga Reddy said the move will weed touts out of RTO offices. The proposed Vahan service - online registration of vehicles portal through automobile dealers - will be implemented later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djay99 (Post 3251074)

I tried this one, but it keeps asking for a VOW ID. Any idea what this might be? It allows you to enter only numbers and not letters, so it can't be the license plate number.

The online DL system was introduced by Delhi RTO way back in 2011. Prolly the first in the country. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hed-delhi.html

It's a good move. An even better move would've also consisted of stricter tests before handing out licenses. Hope we get to that state too some day.

Bumping up an old thread!!

My old DL is broken and I need to get it replaced. I am thinking of going for the smart card. Can somebody please let me know the process for getting this smart card and the documents to provide as proof?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie (Post 3642755)

My old DL is broken and I need to get it replaced. I am thinking of going for the smart card. Can somebody please let me know the process for getting this smart card and the documents to provide as proof?

I had the same issue and was skeptical about the process of getting a new smart card DL. I was in for a major surprise. You can go to the nearest RTO (not necessarily the one which issued your existing DL) and apply for a new smart card DL. It is very simple and if you have the supporting docs, you dont need to go to any of the agents etc.

You will need to have the following :

1) Original DL in a cover (suggest you keep a xerox of the same until you get your new DL)
2) An application form for the smart card DL. (if any changes are required in name / address etc, you need to fill additional forms - which are available online)
3) Address Proof and ID Proof (address in the proof should match the one you want on the DL).
4) 2 Photographs
5) Self addressed stamped (Rs 17) envelope.
6) Smart Card fees (dont remember exact amount, it is around 200 or 250)

The application forms, the stamped envelope and cover for the damaged DL are also available with the many xerox shops near the RTO...

Once you fill in the forms and everything is in order,

1) you need to go to the cash counter to pay the fees, take the receipt and
2) go to the bio-metric center where they get your mug-shot, your fingerprints and autograph :D. The biometric center gives you a reference number for these details.
3) Finally you take the entire bunch and submit to an officer who gives you an acknowledgment.

15-21 days wait and voila your new DL is in your hands thanks to Speed Post..

PS : there is a help-desk at every RTO and they will guide you regarding the Form No. for every type of request (Change in personal details / application for a new DL /application for a Smart card etc)..while the online process is there, you need to physically visit the RTO for the biometrics and photo session.

Good Luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie (Post 3642755)

http://rto.kar.nic.in/dup-dlcss.html

notes:
- even though they ask for your photos, you are required to visit the biometric section. the photo taken here is used on your smart card.
- take a stamped envelope with your address on it (the one with cotton-wire netting inside) with you and a small (enough to fit a credit card in) plastic seal-bag (with that sliding seal thing) {bag number 1}.

procedure:
- take the application (KMV-1) from a constable/clerk, fill up the relevant details, affix your photo.
- place your damaged license in a plastic seal-bag {bag number 2}.
- pin these four (2 plastic bags, the application, the envelope) together and proceed to the ARTO's desk. if satisfied, he/she'll mark the amount you have to pay and sign it.
- go to cash counter, pay it up, visit the ARTO again with the receipt (if I recall correctly, she'll probably sign that too)
- go to biometric section, do what they ask you to (fingerprints, photoshoot) and submit the application-bundle to them, i think one more signature happens here.
- go to the "incoming" desk close to the ARTO where you submit the application-bundle and get a receipt (serves as a temporary license) with your license number on it.
- expect your license to reach you in the same envelope, hopefully placed in the first (small) plastic bag.

the biggest time sink here is the biometric queue, if you're going with someone: try holding a position in the queue from the very beginning while you run around between the clerk, ARTO, and cash counter.

EDIT: took me more than 10 minutes to compose while @uday.ere's post reached first : )

Quote:

Originally Posted by uday.ere (Post 3642918)

Good Luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by nareshov (Post 3642927)
http://rto.kar.nic.in/dup-dlcss.html
EDIT: took me more than 10 minutes to compose while @uday.ere's post reached first : )

Thanks Guys for all the information! :thumbs up

I will try my luck this friday or saturday. Hope to have a hassle free visit to RTO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nareshov (Post 3642927)

- go to biometric section, do what they ask you to (fingerprints, photoshoot) and submit the application-bundle to them, i think one more signature happens here.
-

I'm told that you need to pay some "special" fees here after the biometrics are taken? Obviously, no receipt is given for this "fee" collected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by balajisv (Post 3643251)
I'm told that you need to pay some "special" fees here after the biometrics are taken?

Recently, for the renewal of my driving licence at Rajajinagar RTO, I paid ₹ 201 at the cash-counter, the receipt of which was pinned with my application and ₹ 49 for a holographic sticker with the price printed on it, which was affixed on the cash receipt, before the biometrics were captured. The details are here.

Folks,

I want to apply for a geared two wheeler learners licence in Indiranagar RTO. Tried the link but didnt work. Can someone list down the process even if I have to go to the RTO physically.

The driving schools charge 1500 rupees for the LL. Does the actual fee amount to that? If the process is streamlined now and does not take a lot of time then I would prefer to do it myself.

BTW my 4 wheeler licence was issued in Calcutta and not Bangalore

thanks in advance

@hothatchaway
I am also in the same boat with little difference.

Currently i am holding separate license for 4 wheeler and 2 wheeler.
My 4 wheeler DL was issued in Kerala and have validity till May 2017. And my 2 wheeler DL was issued in Karwar, Karnataka and will be expired on April 2015.
I am aware its illegal to hold 2 separate license. Which is the best way to correct this issue?
Since my 2 wheeler license is getting expired in 2 months, i am looking to follow the below steps.
1. Do an address change for my 4 wheeler license(Kerala to Bangalore).
2. Then apply for a new 2 wheeler license in Bangalore and update it with my address changed 4 wheeler license.

Is this the correct steps? Or any other better way?

Thanks

Unless we introduce Robots to do some of the tasks being done by Humans, we cannot eliminate corruption :(
It will also not eliminate touts.