Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 14:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Wagon R 7-Seater revealed; India launch in June 2019 (page 5)

Guys think of this.

The WagonR MPV plus an 800cc turbo diesel engine could actually be a potent combination for urban people moving needs.

Nissan say that they can't squeeze in the 1.5 liter K9K into the Datsun Go+. So, if Maruti does manage to get a diesel engine into the WagonR MPV, then the sub-4 meter MPV space will suddenly be where all the action is.

The Go+ will be hit hard even before it takes off. IMHO, the biggest takeaway from IIMS 2013, in terms of sheer potential has to be the WagonR 3 Rows concept.

The 0.8 liter diesel engine is due to make its debut on the next-gen Alto/YL7/A-Star. The WagonR is next in line for this engine.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 30th September 2013 at 14:50.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 15:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

A huge number of "suckers in India" are yet to own a car and these "suckers" trust Maruti to offer them a car that is Affordable and Reliable. It is this two-fold trust that has enabled Maruti remain on top for so long and maintain its market share, despite the presence of a growing number of rivals along with their growing portfolio.

And yes, I would any day prefer a reliable and affordable "jazzed-up bullock cart" to some glossy high-tech futuristic contraption on wheels that spends more time with a mechanic than with me.
Not only did you miss my point (safety) entirely, you took my post personally too. Neither of the two was intended. I'll refrain from debating this further.

Thanks!
Old 30th September 2013, 16:07   #18
BHPian

Looks like all the players in the segment are toppling over each other with similar sized mpvs. Brio- almost same as Go- Mobilio
Go- 20000 lesser than brio (likely)- Go+
WGR- Here and there of Go- 7 seater (6 seater) WGR

so these three MPV'S will also be priced within 50000 +/- of each other.
and all in the same auto show!

Compact sedans and now Compact mpv's
The world is getting compact!
Old 30th September 2013, 19:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Interesting concept indeed.
I always felt that M&M Xylo looks like bigger blown-up version of WagonR and this concept gets it more closer.

What's next? A 4mts A-Star based sedan? I feel that would look good (read as proportionate)
Old 30th September 2013, 22:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967'stang View Post
Looks like all the players in the segment are toppling over each other with similar sized mpvs. Brio- almost same as Go- Mobilio
Go- 20000 lesser than brio (likely)- Go+
WGR- Here and there of Go- 7 seater (6 seater) WGR

so these three MPV'S will also be priced within 50000 +/- of each other.
and all in the same auto show!

Compact sedans and now Compact mpv's
The world is getting compact!
+1. Suddenly, it appears that the sub-4 mtr 7-seater with compact engine segment is getting crowded. But why complain? Better choice of cars for a growing number of buyers is a win-win situation for the company and the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Interesting concept indeed.
What's next? A 4mts A-Star based sedan? I feel that would look good (read as proportionate)
In today's world, any permutation and combination is possible. I wont be surprised if Maruti announces a compact sedan for the Alto. Believe me, if there is a market, there will be a car provided, of course, that it meets the requirements of the market.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:11   #21
BHPian

Ertiga being a tight fit for a reasonably sized person in the last row, I would not even want to imagine what this would be like.
As highlighted here, safety is compromised here. But, how many vehicles which sell as hot cakes in India have a good safety rating? People buy what's affordable, not what safe.

If this is launched here, I believe that would be a huge hit with the taxi segment. remove the last row, make space for the CNG and also ample of space for the luggage. Also, the 1L k series would need to be spiced up for this. It is barely enough to power the current waggie, this would ask for more. This with a 1.3D, selling like hot cakes again!
Old 30th September 2013, 22:22   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Maruti can probably sell a jazzed-up bullock cart to a bunch of suckers in India, who will buy it for its 'sheer VFM and hassle-free ownership'.
If Maruti can do that, it shows people's trust in Maruti, or the lack of trust in others. And this trust can't be bought by cash, or by paying bribery. They earned it with a lot of efforts - not by the arrogance shown by other manufacturers and their dealers when one of their product becomes a hit.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 22:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is time for the insurance companies to wake up.

If such MPV is actually made and sold in India, the safety of people sitting in the last row is always compromised, and may result in fatal accidents in case of rear ending.
- The owner of car is in loss (casualties of family members)
- The other party is in trouble (banging a car which is inherently weak) and faces court cases
- Insurance company is paying additional damages due to human loss / excessive damages
I am not too sure how SIAM / ARAI are not playing any role in deciding the safety requirements for four wheelers in India. Some of the cars like
- MSIL - M800, Zen (Estilo) Wagon R, Alto, A Star, Omni
- Honda – Brio
- Tata – Nano
- Bajaj – Quadra cycle (due for launch)
are compromising human safety on the move and still no statutory body is issuing any guidance / rules.
Amazed?
Amused?
Perplexed?
Frustrated?
I am sure if the system can follow Euro emission norms, it can also follow Euro NCAP for safety.
I strongly feel that cheap MPV should not be planned and launched in India.

Last edited by i74js : 30th September 2013 at 22:28.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post

Some of the cars like
- Honda – Brio
- Tata – Nano
are compromising human safety on the move and still no statutory body is issuing any guidance / rules.
Yes, the Omni, M800, WagonR seem to be unsafe but as far as the older Alto, A-Star and pre-facelift Estilo are concerned, they were all crash-tested.

Honda claims they have made Brio according to Japanese crash norms.
Nano with mods passes Euro NCAP with 4/5 (want to know what changes)
Bajaj - quadracycle : I hope its not launched here, but still better than an auto!

Quote:
I am sure if the system can follow Euro emission norms, it can also follow Euro NCAP for safety.
Old 1st October 2013, 00:47   #25
BHPian

I don't understand why the government doesn't make it mandatory for the manufactures to display the NCAP ratings. It did so for home appliances with gusto. It's the only way they will start taking safety seriously in this country, when their base-speced bare-bones models (read: without airbags & abs) start getting zero & 1 star.

The Ertiga is still a proper 7 seater. But come on! A sub-4mt 7 seater, Really?! What do these manufacturers think we Indians are, dwarf people? I mean, who comes up with such ridiculous design ideas in the first place? Replacing the boot with 2 seats does NOT make a 7 seater, forget a safe one.
Attached Thumbnails
Wagon R 7-Seater revealed; India launch in June 2019 (page 5)-img20130930wa00561.jpg  

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 1st October 2013 at 00:56. Reason: multiple uploads of the same attachment when using mobile site
McLaren Roxx is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 01:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
It is time for the insurance companies to wake up.

If such MPV is actually made and sold in India, the safety of people sitting in the last row is always compromised, and may result in fatal accidents in case of rear ending.
- The owner of car is in loss (casualties of family members)
- The other party is in trouble (banging a car which is inherently weak) and faces court cases
- Insurance company is paying additional damages due to human loss / excessive damages
I am not too sure how SIAM / ARAI are not playing any role in deciding the safety requirements for four wheelers in India. Some of the cars like
- Honda – Brio
- Tata – Nano
Amazed?
Amused?
Perplexed?
Frustrated?
I wonder what would you say about the safety/feasibility/practicality/manufacture/launch of bikes in India.
Old 1st October 2013, 09:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

The car doesn't look good in those pictures. And, there is a very good chance for this WagonR MPV to be launched here.

I guess there is no other rule which has affected the aesthetics of automobiles like the 4m one we have here.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 10:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

This could come to India sooner than we think, probably showcased in next year's auto expo and launched by the year end.

I don't see the taxi segment embracing this as the customers might prefer a bigger 7 seater for better comfort. If targeted use is strictly within city, you don't need a boot in most cases.

It might be an ideal car for a family of 4, who might have to go out for dinner or movie when a couple of relatives visit. Still, these one-off situations doesn't justify having to drive around a bulky MPV in the city round the year. We've always had to take the car+bike combination to go out whenever someone visits us and we decide to go out.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't believe this makes sense at all. The Indian market is maturing and that's the reason they don't really care for the evalia or the enjoy. This looks god awful, bare-bones on the inside and who knows how unsafe.
Old 1st October 2013, 12:05   #30
BHPian

Firstly, i cannot believe this will be sub 4 meter. Sub 4 meter simply does not have space to seat three rows, no matter how less the leg space is.

This means that the excise duty slab is automatically raised and so is the price by a considerable margin, for the Indian scenario.

Secondly, no way can the 3 pot K series 1000cc engine tug this 7 seater, as it struggles with even 4 people and the AC on over bridges (have experienced it in Delhi). Thus, they probably will plonk the 4 cylinder 1200cc engine, which pushes prices further north.

In such a scenario, even a petrol version will cross the 5 lakh mark for the most basic LXi version by some margin. Now, if maruti tries some cost cutting to bring it at 5 lakhs starting price (or 4.9 :P) we are going to have a very bad car on offer. Simply do not see what advantage it would give over the Eeco they already have in the market.

Plonking a diesel mill on this would make less sense. A new body with a new engine, controlling prices will be very difficult. A price level of over 6 lakhs, and i do not think they will have enough buyers for this product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks