Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 11:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Wagon R 7-Seater revealed; India launch in June 2019 (page 5)

Wagon R 7-seater MPV revealed!.

In a surprise move, that has also surprised our Indonesian representatives, Suzuki has revealed a new concept based on the Wagon R. The Suzuki Karimun Wagon R 3 Rows Concept is an MPV that Suzuki decided to show unexpectedly a couple of days ago at the 2013 Indonesia International Motor Show (IIMS).
Wagon R 7-Seater revealed; India launch in June 2019 (page 5)-suzukikarimunwagonr7seatermpv.jpg

Wagon R 7-Seater revealed; India launch in June 2019 (page 5)-suzukikarimunwagonr7seatermpvthirdrowseats.jpg

The three-row Wagon R seems to have a couple of centimeters added just after its rear wheels. Slotting below the Ertiga, this Wagon R MPV would rival the Datsun Go+, a sub-4m 7-seat MPV.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/09/s...ndonesia-98576

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th September 2013 at 11:23.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Wagon R 7-Seater revealed; India launch in June 2019 (page 5)

From a styling point of view it may not win any beauty contests - but from the mass market "sale-ability" point of view, especially in India, it makes sense.

If this can be priced 30-40k more than the existing Wagon-R, with suitable re-engineering for a better power output, re-worked spring/damper rates, HVAC etc, this can be a potential winner.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

This feels like some shoddy PhotoShop job has suddenly become a reality. After the compact sedan era, maybe we're witnessing the prologue of the compact MPV era. Interesting!
AyAn! is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 11:58   #4
BHPian

Isn't this very unsafe considering the person's head is just inches from the hatch? In case of a rear-end crash I would think it could very much be fatal. That is one reason I would never ever buy a 7 seater that is built on this kind of a platform (minimal length).
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 12:09   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems Suzuki was in a hurry to display a 7-seater at the IIMS - so they just extended the existing Wagon R and made a 7 seatert. They could have done something better than that. - different look at the back / front / rear glass. Its nothing but an extended Wagon R. There are no seat belts for the last row too.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 12:31   #6
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is just unbelievable! The Indonesians must be crazy about MPVs - first the Datsun Go+ and then this. They are also ideal for India since both fall under the 4m mark. This also means Suzuki (and MSIL) are taking the threat from Datsun very seriously and are trying to counter Nissan's entry level brand even before the first vehicle goes on sale.

From a safety perspective, this is bad. The last row on the Go+ at least had lap-belts and this one does not even have those on offer (in the pictures, at least). The last row seat back is also placed too close to the hatch. And of course, only children (not even teenagers) would be comfortable on the last row. But a child's safe place is in a child seat, and there seems to be nothing to securely hold a child seat in place on the last row.

The best option would be to buy one of these extended seven-seat hatchbacks, throw out the last row of seats permanently and use it as a sub-4m station wagon with a capacious boot.

It remains to be seen which engine will power this Wagon R 'XL 7' - I hope there is enough space in the engine bay to plonk in the K12M. Suzuki's new in-house small diesel engine could prove to be an excellent fit for this vehicle.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:38   #7
BHPian

From the second Photograph, its seems the boot space is not existing at all. A roof top carrier is a must to cater those airport trips.
It seems to be a super sub - compact 7 seater.
Ertiga itself has its 3rd row cramped, some vital stats might enlighten us!

Regards,
Maverick79
Old 30th September 2013, 12:44   #8
BHPian

Looking at the thread title I though it is a joke! Not withstanding the cramped interiors and odd design, this thing will definitely sell in our market.
Old 30th September 2013, 13:06   #9
BHPian

This could do well in India. But then what would Maruti do with the Eeco?
performance plumbing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 13:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

At a time when we are (or at least should be) moving to safer, better engineered vehicles, Maruti (and some others brands too) seem to be moving backwards.

The contraption pictured above can give the aged Omni serious competition in the 'death-trap' stakes. The last row is unusable for anyone except infants, but there's no way to securely seat an infant there (no seat belts, one can only assume there won't be any harnessing points either).

The non-existent gap with the rear hatch means certain casualties in a rear-ending, if someone acrobatic manages to sit there in the first place.

Having said that, Maruti can probably sell a jazzed-up bullock cart in India, who will buy it for its 'sheer VFM and hassle-free ownership'.

Note from Mod : Please avoid using derogatory slang remarks while posting on forum. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd October 2013 at 14:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 13:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sub 4m and 3 rows !! I doubt it will have any boot. Also the WagonR is a strict 4 seater car. So this can be at the most 4+2 seater. But the pics show that there is leg room at the 3rd row and WagonR always had the tallboy roof

But might work for those looking for city only petrol powered MPV. Ticks those box very well.

BTW, just curious Doesnt Suzuki sell OMNI in Indonesia ? That is one car/van which can stuff any number of people.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What's happening!
Do they even know that its actually people who drive cars and not sheep.

Having said that, if this is launched in India, I won't be surprised if it becomes a market leader some day

I hope the people in Tata don't take this idea and make a 7-seater Nano!
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 14:24   #13
BHPian

This concept of sharing same platform for different body styles is becoming amusing now-a-days. Who could've thought that a sub-4 metre WagonR MPV is possible? I find this concept to be unappealing, unsafe although practical at the same time. Even if launched in India and placed a notch higher than WagonR, I feel this would sell well. But still, this concept is a bit hard to digest for me. What next? A 4X4 breadbox? A WagonR SUV or a limo?

P.S. No offence meant to any WagonR owner. I, too, had one 3 years ago.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 30th September 2013 at 14:31.
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
. But still, this concept is a bit hard to digest for me. What next? A 4X4 breadbox? A WagonR SUV or a limo?

P.S. No offence meant to any WagonR owner. I, too, had one 3 years ago.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Just my thoughts. If WagonR can become a MPV, why not use a A-Star MPV and place it just below this MPV and then Maruti Suzuki will have 3 options for MPV.
appu.bhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 14:45   #15
BHPian

Quite on the contrary, I feel this Wagon R 7-seat MPV has excellent potential here in India.

1. The third row for a sub-4 mtr car is, in my opinion, a marketing gimmick and a safety hazard. I would simply pull out the third row seat and use the MPV as a spacious car with a huge boot like that of the Eeco. In any case, this more-car-per-car concept would be very appealing to Indian families.

2. The MPV is a Maruti product and given the huge pan-India service network, it would naturally appeal to a large number of people.

3. Given the fact that the Wagon R is a tried and tested product, adding more length to the rear will only add to the practical appeal of the car.

4. No sub-4 mtr car in India can be as practical, reliable, affordable, car-like and popular as the Wagon R MPV. Maruti knows it and the rivals know it. This product could easily kill off similar products from rivals (Datson Go+, etc), with an aggressive price tag from a Maruti stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
This could do well in India. But then what would Maruti do with the Eeco?
Maruti would do exactly what it has been doing all along. Sell them alongside each other. The Eeco has mainly appealed to the taxi segment, especially here in Goa, while the Wagon R MPV can be positioned primarily for the family segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The last row is unusable for anyone except infants, but there's no way to securely seat an infant there (no seat belts, one can only assume there won't be any harnessing points either).

The non-existent gap with the rear hatch means certain casualties in a rear-ending, if someone acrobatic manages to sit there in the first place.
As mentioned above, removing the third seat could address this safety problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Maruti can probably sell a jazzed-up bullock cart to a bunch of suckers in India, who will buy it for its 'sheer VFM and hassle-free ownership'.
A huge number of "suckers in India" are yet to own a car and these "suckers" trust Maruti to offer them a car that is Affordable and Reliable. It is this two-fold trust that has enabled Maruti remain on top for so long and maintain its market share, despite the presence of a growing number of rivals along with their growing portfolio.

And yes, I would any day prefer a reliable and affordable "jazzed-up bullock cart" to some glossy high-tech futuristic contraption on wheels that spends more time with a mechanic than with me.

Last edited by misquitas : 30th September 2013 at 14:48.
misquitas is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks