Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
I coudn't help but notice the dramatic fall in the sales figure of the XUV 5OO. It one again proves that Indians are more than willing to give desi brands a chance and still believe in them and trust them. However, plethora of electrical issues meant that over time, people lost their trust in the cheetah inspired SUV.

It's high time that Mahindra and Tata pull up their socks and start delivering flawless products because frankly speaking Indian cars thrive only if they are VFM like TATA cars or are positioned in a niche segment where there aren't many competitors like the XUV.

If Toyota or Honda tomorrow launch a 7 seater SUV in the 10-14 lakh bracket, I wonder how many people would still go for XUV, Safari, Scorpio.
Mahindra has only themselves to blame. They designed a brilliant product and we all embraced it with open arms. We bought the XUV and were proud of it being Indian. We even allowed them to make sales records. Now everyone talks about its poor quality and defective/untested engineering. The brakes, the electronics have been a pain for owners who were once proud of their decision. I have 4 friends who have termed it as the worst car they have ever bought. It is true that they were first time Mahindra customers and had enjoyed Japanese reliability in the past.
nik_kapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
But surprisingly the margin of Petrol : Diesel between the Sail Twins is very very less! Not sure of the logic there. I have always observed till now that the car which sits in a lower segment has the minimum Petrol : Diesel Margin; as you go higher up the ladder- the proportion is excessively skewed in favour of the Diesel.
For the approximately 6.4 lakhs OTR the top end petrol Sail UVA LT is a lot of car with an excellent engine.

I was unable to find a better alternative for my requirement of a good ride quality and wide rear seat. Hence ended up buying this.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, I had refreshed the site at least 10 times since morning for this and finally its here. Thanks Parrys

Interesting part for me is the rise of Ford Fiesta(new).
An 710% increase from a "almost extinct" number of 19. The highest percentage jump for any car this month!
I had liked this car since its launch but the pricing had killed it
Although 154 is still a small number I wonder what's the secret behind this 710% jump. I'm not aware, have they reduced prices after Ecosport launch?

Another observation:
Although high compared to its competition, i20 petrol numbers have decreased compared to its diesel cousin. It used to be a nearly 50-50 split a few months ago IIRC.

Edit:
Request/suggestion to Mods:
Can we also have the "petrol-Diesel split" figures MOM like the sale numbers (Downside is understandably the number of columns, which will increase from 12-24)?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th October 2013 at 14:57.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:40   #19
BHPian

Surprised to see Ertiga petrol selling more than diesel. Somehow find it very hard to believe. And it seems all that hooplah around the eco boost engine hasn't had any impact: diesel is the clear choice when it comes to the Ecosport. Not very good news for turbo charged petrol hatchbacks some of us were expecting.

Fiat's slow and steady climb is so heart warming. Seems like the seperate dealership strategy is yielding dividends for them.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:

1 Accent cleared from the factory in December'13. Looks like they're just clearing the last unsold inventory now.

i10 Grande was a surprise. Number 6 on the most-selling list. That was UNEXPECTED! Purely because i've not seen even one on the road! Who's buying these 8000 odd cars? Or maybe they are just shipments to dealerships.
It has to be the ones which the dealers delivered to customers. But Grand i10 sold about 1800 cars last month and Hyundai says that they were all for the dealerships for test drives and display. Can someone please answer this question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Solid performance from the top 4 cars from Maruti. I still wonder who buys Omni??
I too have the same question! Now Maruti has even started advertising on TV for the Omni!

Similar question about the M800. I am guessing people in villages??
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I see the Octavia is already on the charts in September. This must be the units shipped from the factory to dealers.

Diesel : Petrol split is 51:1 . Are we looking at long waiting periods for the Octy TSI's just like the Polo GT TSI?
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 15:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Whats left to discuss? India does really come home in a Maruti.

We've seen since years, no matter what, even with Ritz Maruti can't control the craze for Swift!

Also can't believe how SO many people chose the Alto800 while Nano had such a good ad campaign and is so much better than the Alto(IMO), not to mention how crash-safe the Alto is (0/5).

Understandable if Sail Hatch doesn't score well, but as opposed to Swift, a competent VistaD90 with 15PS more seems to be getting ignored by the masses.

As far as I can tell, Toyota has killed the hen that laid golden eggs - the Innova with the new Facelift. They had a product that people gave second thoughts only for the Price, but now they've given a new reason for people to look around.

IMO many of the Pvt Innova buyers will now Seriously look at the Storme & XYLO. Mahindra better get its Scorpio Facelift ready for the rush.

The Taxi operators too will now look at the Enjoy (In my present opinion - Modified Diesel Maruti EECO) as a budget 7 seater, and then theres always the Xylo H series for the higher budget.

Fiat : Maybe Fiat HAD TO take Linea to the masses, they've got to find economies of scale to make business sustainable. Understandable.

Hyundai has the excellent Fluidic concept thats making them a killing! In real, I found the Grand i10 OKish, but I've been coming across quite some Elantra's lately, and it truly looks Out-Of-The-World.

People are gulping up the Amaze but I doubt success of the IDtec with just 1 car offering it. Moreover, they're still to develop more products around it AND build a new plant. Better they offer their engines to other small players* and earn to make its India-plans work faster!

*Why small players : If they go to Maruti, they'll get volumes, but they'll just be feeding and further growing the craze for the Swift. That would leave THEIR products ignored when they launch new products. Going to niche VFM players like Tata & Chevy will bring them funds alpenty and wouldn't dilute their launches down the line.

Overpriced Renault Duster feeling the heat. With EcoSport, Ford has managed to convince people to buy an SUV for the city! There was greatly assisted promotion with the Govt deliberately keeping roads bad, the cities too congested, and crazy tax policies for actual SUVs.

Thanks for the number crunching Parrys.
-Rgds.

P.S. : Hey! I think Kizashi should be taken off the comparo chart.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th October 2013 at 15:22. Reason: Typo
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 15:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

As usual great insight.

Just noticed that Tavera has -3. Is that a Typo or GM is doing some sort of buyback

I was expecting Duster to take a beating but it is still doing healthy 4K units.
Ecosport and Amaze are settling into a good zone.

Grand i10 seem to be having a grand opening. Good for Hyundai.

Ertiga sales are down by half !! Just wondering where that portion went ? Enjoy, Ecosport ?
Old 4th October 2013, 15:49   #24
BHPian

Diesel : Petrol ratio is always skewed towards Diesels.

We do however have a few where petrols have outsold diesels.

From the chart in initial posts:

ertiga 1282 : 1375

micra 399 : 1195

sx4 180 : 198

superb 36 : 46

I can understand the reason for
micra - hatch where petrol costs are comparable with the diesel cost(buying premium included)
sx4, superb - the numbers ,though low, are comparable, almost 1:1ish

But, I couldn't think of a logical reason for petrol ertigas flying off the shelf faster than the diesels.
Could it be the availability of petrols and waiting period for the diesels?
Old 4th October 2013, 15:56   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrebellz View Post
But, I couldn't think of a logical reason for petrol ertigas flying off the shelf faster than the diesels.
Could it be the availability of petrols and waiting period for the diesels?
The beautiful 1.4 k series engine. The absence of any serious competition in 7 seater petrol segment.
The only other alternative is the Chevy Enjoy.

Also the price difference between the petrol and diesel Ertiga is quite big and makes the petrol a good option when running is under 1000k a month.

The mileage of this is also supposed to be very decent.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
l.

Good to see the Verito sedan and Vibe selling in equal numbers; 448 for one and 449 for another. I'd love to know the classification of Petrol : Diesel in the Verito Sedan.
The Verito sedan is mostly selling in diesel. The sale of petrol Verito is about 5 - 6 % of the total Verito sedan sale. Basically very few takers for the Petrol Verito. Logically they launched Vibe only in Diesel.
Old 4th October 2013, 16:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My theory is that it is due to increased footfalls in their showrooms courtesy Ecosport. All of their models show a MoM increase in sales.
I believe, Renault also enjoyed such a halo effect on their other models when Duster was launched.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:56   #28
BHPian

Overall most car makers show either an increase or a flat sales in Sept compared to previous month. Need to wait & watch in Oct whether the festival time shows big boost in sales despite price hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
As usual great insight.

Just noticed that Tavera has -3. Is that a Typo or GM is doing some sort of buyback

I was expecting Duster to take a beating but it is still doing healthy 4K units.
Ecosport and Amaze are settling into a good zone.

Grand i10 seem to be having a grand opening. Good for Hyundai.

Ertiga sales are down by half !! Just wondering where that portion went ? Enjoy, Ecosport ?
Tavera showing -3 could be due to GM recalling 1.14 lakh units of Chevy Tavera manufactured between 2005 & 2013 to address emissions & specifications issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The beautiful 1.4 k series engine. The absence of any serious competition in 7 seater petrol segment.
The only other alternative is the Chevy Enjoy.

Also the price difference between the petrol and diesel Ertiga is quite big and makes the petrol a good option when running is under 1000k a month.

The mileage of this is also supposed to be very decent.
Regarding Ertiga sales, strange fact is that in Aug, diesel vs petrol sales figure was at 3172:1391, while in Sept, the same figure is 1282:1375, so it looks like a drastic drop of 60% for diesel Ertigas while petrol Ertigas remain almost flat!

Honda City sales have seen a huge jump from 953 to 2043, any idea why this is the case? Aug seemed to be a really bad month for this car. Now the sales seem to be on the recovery towards higher nos. (such as 3202 in May).

Ford Figo sales are up after seeing a decline these last few months. Could it be due to disenchantment with Ford Ecosport delivery delays & price hikes (though Figo & Ecosport are in different segments)?
Old 4th October 2013, 17:16   #29
BHPian

Mahindra must have been bruised with the sale figures of Quanto from 1338 in April falling to 382 in September. With a shift over design what else to expect .
Wow, did you guys just notice the sales of Kizashi managed to maintain it to zero for six months.
One question, in your city how better is the A.S.S for Nissan compared to Renault. Let me guess, no difference. Comparing the brands Renault scores more points to Nissan, at least you hear the name Renault in F1. With all this why are the sale figures of Micra 1594 and Pulse just 344.
Old 4th October 2013, 17:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
An 710% increase from a "almost extinct" number of 19. The highest percentage jump for any car this month!
Sensing the Ecosport footfall opportunity Ford offered attractive discount schemes on their models(New Fiesta, Classic, Figo & Endeavour) end of August and September.
Looks like it payed off to some extent for them.
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed