Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 17:47   #31
BHPian

Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrebellz View Post

But, I couldn't think of a logical reason for petrol ertigas flying off the shelf faster than the diesels.
Could it be the availability of petrols and waiting period for the diesels?
Most probably because Ertiga is now available in CNG. CNG cars come under "Petrol" in "Petrol-Diesel" comparison.

Btw. Really happy to see Enjoy Diesel has overtaken Ertiga Diesel within six months of the launch.
fazayal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 18:20   #32
BANNED

I heard earlier that Ertiga production was interrupted because of a production ramp-up operation.
Old 4th October 2013, 19:02   #33
BHPian

Good to see the gradual improvement in sales of Tata vehicles. Almost all the vehicles have seen upward revision in nos except Venture. Hopefully the new initiatives being taken will help boost sales in the days to come.
Old 4th October 2013, 19:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

According to the Indian Tax Laws, Entrepreneur/ Corporates, who wanna claim Full depreciation benefits on the assets acquired during the Financial Year 2013 - 14 must acquire the asset and put it to use on or before the 30th of September 23:59 hours. Failing which they get only 50% of the depreciation benefits.

For a car like OCTAVIA, when purchased before September 30th could reduce your tax liability by upto Rs. 1 Lac. If purchased after 1st October, you get only 50% of it as depreciation allowance. In fact most coporates consider this fact while drawing up their capital budgeting plan at the beginning of the year itself.

That's one of the significant factors for Auto sales to surge during September/March of every year.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th October 2013 at 19:32.
Warwithwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 19:46   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi India continues to do well; Records 15% growth upto September 2013 - Leads the luxury segment in 2013.

The company recorded a growth of 5 percent with a total sale of 2545 units in July-September 2013 period, with 965 units sold in September 2013.

Mercedes registers 58 percent sales growth.

Audi's sales figues from Jan to Sept 2013 stands at 7391 while Mercedes' figures are 6461 units.

Cheers!

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...mber-11411.htm

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th October 2013 at 20:03.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 20:15   #36
BHPian

Great analysis as usual. But this time missed GTO's analysis. Most of the companies, except Hyundai are depending upon one or two products.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 20:57   #37
BANNED

One thing to be noted that even after Grand i10 sold at 8K level, total sales of Hyundai small cars have not increased. Means the new car has eaten into the numbers of i10, i20, Eon and Santro, rather than into any other car's pie?
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:04   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
According to the Indian Tax Laws, Entrepreneur/ Corporates, who wanna claim Full depreciation benefits on the assets acquired during the Financial Year 2013 - 14 must acquire the asset and put it to use on or before the 30th of September 23:59 hours. Failing which they get only 50% of the depreciation benefits.
But in the end you will still get the same depreciation benefit from what I understand. Does it make any difference? Incase you get 50% depreciation the first time then the next year you will have a higher amount on which new depreciation will be calculated right?
Old 4th October 2013, 21:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But in the end you will still get the same depreciation benefit from what I understand. Does it make any difference? Incase you get 50% depreciation the first time then the next year you will have a higher amount on which new depreciation will be calculated right?
You are right in saying that the benefit is only deferred and not denied.

Buying a car just because you wanna save tax, doesn't make sense here. However, if you are planning to buy a car in October or November, you can advance your purchase to September to get the full depreciation benefits on time.

When you buy the car during the second half of the year (Oct - Mar) the benefit of the balance 50% of the depreciation allowance gets carried to the end of next year.

When companies talk of fleet replacement, these numbers do make a lot sense, especially considering the skyrocketing interest rates prevalent in today's market.

Here's one interesting article I read not too long ago!

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...om-luxury-cars

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th October 2013 at 21:39.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:58   #40
BHPian

Again the most awaited thread of the month!! Superb analysis.

Surprised to see that Micra is the only car that is selling petrol variants much more than the diesel variants. Any reasons for the same?
Old 4th October 2013, 23:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yes, it does. The value of 1 Ruppee on Jan 1 2013 is different from that Jan 1 2014. In a country like India where inflation is high, the value only goes down.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 07:28   #42
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for providing us with the data and meticulously compiling it into charts and tables, Parrys and GTO! This is indeed the most eagerly awaited thread at the beginning of each month. GTO's comments are missed this month.

The market really is stagnant at the moment. Car makers would be looking to make the most of the festive season during this month and the next. December usually turns out to be the lean month of the year. A combination of weak economy, stagnant job market, rising fuel prices, climbing inflation and high interest rates seems to be taking some cheer out of the celebratory season for the auto companies.

As far as the diesel-petrol split is concerned, it is 2.29 : 1 this month, while it was 2.63 : 1 the last month. Though both can be rounded off to the nearest 0.5 in the form of the same ~ 2.5 : 1, there is no doubt the shift is further in favour of diesels this month. Add to this the fact that Tata and Mahindra have not shared the split for Indica+Vista & Indigo+Manza and the Verito, and it should skew the overall ratio further in favour of diesels. Speaking of overall ratio, it would not be possible to calculate the exact overall sales of petrol and diesel vehicles this month, due to the lack of data for the three cars mentioned above.

In terms of individual models, the Ertiga, SX4, Micra and Superb petrols outsell their diesel counterparts. The Superb's anomaly can be explained by the value-for-money factor of the 1.8 TSI while the CNG-petrol bi-fuel models of the Ertiga and SX4 seem to have significantly pushed up sales numbers of petrol engines of these two. The excellently positioned Micra Active and the unique Micra CVT, which are available only with a petrol engine, explain the numbers for this hatch.

The Sail hatch, Sail sedan, Grand i10, i20, Corolla and Polo petrols also seem to be exceptions to the rule of diesels massively outselling petrols for the same model.

Last edited by RSR : 5th October 2013 at 07:31.
Old 5th October 2013, 07:55   #43
BHPian

Hyundai officials may be busy formulating game plan for i10 Grand. Though it is squarely aimed at Suzuki Swift, the latter's sales have been improved further. Even Maruti officials might be wondering how their Suzuki Dzire is bringing sales (15K+ unit consistently).
Old 5th October 2013, 09:38   #44
BHPian

Chevrolet cruze numbers have been relegated to the annals of history ever since they upped prices from a very VFM c+ segment 10.99 to a pricey 13.8. They need to introduce a Corporate/ Classic version to bring back the numbers.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 10:37   #45
BHPian

In a way, the sales figures seem to defy logic. One would have thought that the less expensive cars would make it into the higher rungs of sales (even though these are factory dispatch numbers) but perhaps with the exception of the Wagon R which is a firm middle class favourite, all other cars (maybe the Eon is steady) cars have gone into a decline of numbers. The i10 coming down into the three thousands is a firm indication of that. The Santro's decline is probably the same trend. Do not read anything yet into the figures f the i10 Grand because this could just be Hyundai filling dealerships. It could also be that it is the reason why the i10 is down. It will take a couple of months before it will become clear as to where the Grand i10 and i10 settle down.

The Alto it seems has captured the bottom of the market and it seems now to be the ONLY real preferred option of the middle class. Sad about the Nano, despite everything the history of the car is still dogging it. And I think Tata's constant re-positioning of the car as a youthful and stylish and aiming it at the young yuppies is only adding to the confusion and that does not seem to be helping. It should stick to it as an affordable family car and try to draw from the Alto's customer base. The Alto 800 is an ugly duckling and some concerted effort from Tata in that direction should help. Youngsters like to drive cars like the Swift (if they come from upper middle class or the upper class) and will not like to be seen in a Nano.

It would also be great to see which way the UV market is going. It is seems to me that the Bolero and the Scorpio sales tell the story of the preference for these vehicles mainly in rural areas and in small towns. That is how these are able to sell more than the XUV 500. The Quanto story is also indication that M&M UVs are not doing all that well in the urban areas where the upper middle class has access to the Duster and the Ecosport. It doesn't seem as if this body style is the preferred choice of the middle class, it is more of the upper middle class and those who are just graduating into the upper class. I feel that the next couple of months will also see drop in the numbers of the Ecosport and numbers will get split between the Duster and Terrano. The rural market must be where the Sumo is also selling.

The Indica+Vista story and to an extent the Etios story seem to be indicating a trend in the taxi market. More and more cities are seeing the introduction of taxi services (most of them call taxis) and these vehicles seem to indicate that trend. Obviously the Liva is not a taxi fit and its numbers tell the story of the preferences of the urban buyer. The VW's are scraping through with half respectable numbers something that cannot be said of Nissan, Renault, Skoda and of course Fiat. The Chevrolet sales numbers are consistent with what I just said about the urban middle class that do not seem to accept them as value for money propositions. The Ertiga, the Enjoy and to a lesser extent Xylo seem to be the only vehicles being used by large families. So that it is what I deduce from these figures. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by sadsack : 5th October 2013 at 10:43. Reason: Some grammatical and sensical errors were set right
sadsack is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed