Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 12:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:
1: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
2: Mitsubishi Cedia & Outlander have been removed from the sheets, since they have been discontinued.
parrys is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Last edited by parrys : 4th October 2013 at 12:56.
parrys is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

parrys is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

parrys is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

parrys is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 13:42   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the analysis Parrys. Good to see Tata pulling up their socks (even though just by a little bit). The Indica twins are slowly waking up again as is the Safari+Storme duo and the Sumo. The Aria unfortunately doesnt look like its going anywhere. Good to see the Nano picking up but it needs much more!

1 Accent cleared from the factory in December'13. Looks like they're just clearing the last unsold inventory now. Santro's down to 2300 levels; a shame really- such a wonderful car! The more expensive i10 is selling more than the Santro now. Still i dont they think should discontinue the Santro until it goes down to the Accent levels. i10 Grande was a surprise. Number 6 on the most-selling list. That was UNEXPECTED! Purely because i've not seen even one on the road! Who's buying these 8000 odd cars? Or maybe they are just shipments to dealerships.

The Beat Petrol : Diesel ratio is dismal. Diesel outselling Petrol by a huge margin! But surprisingly the margin of Petrol : Diesel between the Sail Twins is very very less! Not sure of the logic there. I have always observed till now that the car which sits in a lower segment has the minimum Petrol : Diesel Margin; as you go higher up the ladder- the proportion is excessively skewed in favour of the Diesel.

Good to see the Verito sedan and Vibe selling in equal numbers; 448 for one and 449 for another. I'd love to know the classification of Petrol : Diesel in the Verito Sedan.

The Ecosport : Duster battle is heating up. 6.2K for the Ecosport to 3.9K for the Duster. Guess VFM is King now. One of my close friends wanted a test drive of the Duster when it was newly launched and flying off the shelves but the showroom guys were quite rude- overconfident even and said "test drive kahaan milegi sir, we do not even have display cars". I guess now they'll be offering testdrives. Shayad 'ghar pe bhi testdrive dene aaoge ab!'

Sad to see such a competent car like the Ritz at 3k levels while its cosmetic surgery twin is selling at 16k Levels. SX4 with its 400 odd cars looks to be going the Accent way too.

Looks like 4 Maruti's, 1 Mahindra and 1 Hyundai is the norm now for the top 6!

Superb analysis!

Last edited by rahul4321 : 4th October 2013 at 13:54. Reason: typo
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 13:50   #7
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprisingly only VW and Nissan have dispatched lowers numbers in Sept as compared to August. There is huge inventory pile up at the dealerships and waiting periods have come down. May be the manufacturers are hoping to push this festive season. One should expect more discounts in Oct/Nov.

The i10 Grand has made its impact on i10 and i20. These must the lowest that the i10 had sold in a very long time. On should expect Eon, i10, Grand and i20 numbers to impact one another for the next few months before it settles down. Except for Grand and Verna all other models from Hyundai are negative MOM

Duster numbers are up as capacities must have been freed up with the Nissan version being ready for launch.

Solid performance from the top 4 cars from Maruti. I still wonder who buys Omni??

It will interesting to see the impact of the reduction in the petrol price in the recent past on the October sales. The increase in petrol prices in Aug/Sept skewed the mix in favour of diesel with 69.6% share. Petrol share drop in Sept. to 30.4% is actually a surprise.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 4th October 2013 at 13:52.
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 13:52   #8
BHPian

Looks like the market is recovering thanks to the festival months approaching.
Ford looks to have woken up and are shipping more EcoSports. A good move I would say.

The XUV seems to have levelled off at 2k levels. The new yet-to-be announced W4 will provide a boost definetely.

I am curious to see how Fiat's Linea will do the next month , with the introduction of the Classic.
rlvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:06   #9
gemi_kk

Good to see Alto back in 22+K numbers. A sign of relief to Auto manufacturers. Atleast to maruti.
Surprising to see I10 Grand making 8K numbers. Often Hyundai formula works !!
Indigo + CS not in Top 20 List. I think, its high time for Tata to take a corrective action. At the same time, Etios sold more than 3K units. Growing Taxi segment requirements?

Ecosport + Amaze are the only ones, making consistent numbers. Duster is loosing heat in this competetive market. I think, it will eventually go down to < 2K levels once Terano starts selling.
Nissan's Active formula is no more active. They Hardly sold 1500 units.

Looks like the down turn in Auto industry is over. Also, all manufacturers are raising prices of all models. Sign of a relief to Auto industry after many months. Also the upcomming festive season should boost sales. Lets see how it goes this year.
  (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:07   #10
BHPian

I am back as promised!

Last month, I posted a chart which showed the dip in the number of Dusters sold after the launch of EcoSport. This month I've added the Scorpio as well.

And it seems the Duster is stuck between the new kid on the block-- ES and the old Uncle -- Scorpio.

Since the launch of the EcoSport, Duster has started a new ad campaign wherein they say "the big beautiful SUV for the new India" (something like that). However, being a 5 seater, the Duster simply cannot take on the Scorpio and has failed to compete with the ES because of pricing.

Though, 3973, which is almost 4000 is a good number but I wonder if the Duster would be able to sustain it once the Terrano enters the market.

P.S. I will be adding the Terrano to this list too.
Attached Thumbnails
September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled-new.jpg  

Last edited by captain.torque : 4th October 2013 at 14:08.
captain.torque is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I have always observed till now that the car which sits in a lower segment has the minimum Petrol : Diesel Margin; as you go higher up the ladder- the proportion is excessively skewed in favour of the Diesel.
The only exception I see here would be the i20 where the difference is not so much when compared to the other cars in that price range which offer the petrol and diesel variants.

On an unrelated note, the proposed launch of the W4 variant of the XUV will probably eat up into Duster's territory even more. Would love to see how the customer reacts to an XUV in the ~12 lakh price bracket!!
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:14   #12
BHPian

Duster's sales have increased. Maybe because of ecosport's skyrocketing waiting periods.

Amaze is again well performer, but still it is limited due to Honda's single plant capacity.
Ertiga is on downfall. XUV's sales will boost with W4 variant.

Still can't understand Alto 20K+ numbers.
i10 grand will give swift a run for it's money!(i10 is already out of league)

Sales Ratio
Diesel Car : Petrol car= 2.3:1. Last month it was 2.5:1
Next month it may go to 2:1, as petrol prices are decreasing!

Last edited by skyfire2892 : 4th October 2013 at 14:18.
skyfire2892 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:23   #13
BHPian

I coudn't help but notice the dramatic fall in the sales figure of the XUV 5OO. It one again proves that Indians are more than willing to give desi brands a chance and still believe in them and trust them. However, plethora of electrical issues meant that over time, people lost their trust in the cheetah inspired SUV.

It's high time that Mahindra and Tata pull up their socks and start delivering flawless products because frankly speaking Indian cars thrive only if they are VFM like TATA cars or are positioned in a niche segment where there aren't many competitors like the XUV.

If Toyota or Honda tomorrow launch a 7 seater SUV in the 10-14 lakh bracket, I wonder how many people would still go for XUV, Safari, Scorpio.
captain.torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:24   #14
BHPian

Thanks Parry for much awaited report.
Nice to see four of Maruthi's work horses regaining their glory - Alto, Swift, Dzire and WagonR. It would be interesting to see will they hold on to these numbers with all the "Limited Edition" rollouts even after festive season.
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:27   #15
BHPian

Thank you for the monthly round- up of sales figures. As always a super insight into what has been going on in the industry in the previous month.

The highlight for me is the Mahindra Scorpio which now has consistently outsold its cousin the XUV500 in the previous 6 months.
Also the much hyped Duster has been put in its place by the Scoprio in the previous 3 months. This is commendable for M&M having achieved this with a ten year old design. (as you may have guessed im a Scorpio owner)

its sad to see big names like the Cruze dwindling at 136 units, such a value for money proposition when launched has just faded away. Similar with the GM cash cow Spark
if a facelifted Captiva sells 2 units in a month, maybe GM should wake up and realize they need a new SUV offering

The Eco-sport revolution is here, much like it was for the Duster about 6 months ago. Its imperative for Ford that their sales personnel keep the customers engaged and production can roll new Eco-sports of the assembly line asap.

4th month in the last 6 that the Amaze has breached the 6k mark and and with 4300+ units being of the diesel variant, its simple .... Indian consumer = kitna deti hai !

Hyundai should do away with its dated models of Accent and Sonata , they've done their bit

Slowly but very steadily my favourite the Mahindra Thar is creeping up to 1000 units mark, with 807 units sold in September. Proving to the naysayers that their is a market for the lifestyle vehicle ( watch and learn tata aria and xenon & storme)

Skoda for me is in deep deep trouble, combined 5 of its 6 offerings in India sold 500 odd units, that's terrible by any standard. The new Octavia has been launched this week but I feel their pricing is off the charts. It tops out at close to 20 lakhs for the top end model. That's Mercedes territory almost. Their dated portfolio needs a shake up desperately, overpriced models such as the Fabia and Yeti are done & done in my opinion

with the festival season approaching we should see a spike in sales till November, a much needed boost for the industry which has been suffering the last few months.
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed