Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 21:18   #1
BANNED

SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

It looks like India’s national engine may not find a place in Maruti’s factories if Suzuki has it’s way.

Suzuki is currently extensively testing it’s new diesel engines in the Swift. The attached pics are of a Swift which has been fitted with Suzuki’s 1.2 liter diesel engine. The only visible external differences on this car are:

(1) The keyless go, push button start and the cruise control buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel (audio controls have been moved to the left).

The engine has the Suzuki logo and “Suzuki” written on it, but unfortunately it is a bit difficult to open the bonnet and take pics as that would be taking things too far.

The pics show Push button start, Cruise Control, keyless touch sensor on the door handle and a sensor on the roof for accurate recording of ambient temperatures during tests.

This test mule has a long way to go before it can be signed off into production. But that may not be an issue as the launch is slated for 2016. It is underpowered in comparison to the Fiat MJD engine and has a clear lack of grunt in the lower rpm range...certainly needs more improvement. Turbo lag is also an issue. Suzuki is planning to launch 1.2L and 1.4L diesel engines.

SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control-swift-1.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control-swift-2.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control-swift-3.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control-swift-4.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2013 at 12:47. Reason: Watermarking Pics. Thanks for sharing!
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:52   #2
BHPian

re: PICS: Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

what a scoop. If this is correct then what happens to all those who have bought the Suzuki DDIS engines, support stops after 5 years or so.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:53   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
It looks India’s national engine may not find a place in Maruti’s factories if Suzuki has it’s way. Suzuki is currently extensively testing it’s new diesel engines in the Swift.
Thanks for the info. Looks like you have driven it! How come you know the driving experience of this Diesel motor? Please provide a bit more details
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Great scoop! Considering the tax benefit for diesel is applicable for both 1.2L and 1.4L engines, I wonder why would Suzuki have 1.2 and 1.4 separately? Swift deserves the 1.4 engine.
Will they differentiate new SX4, Ertiga etc with the 1.4? In any case SX4 or Ertiga won't enjoy the tax benifit - why not go for even bigger engines for them!

Request mods to watermark the images fully

Last edited by pacman2881 : 4th October 2013 at 22:15.
pacman2881 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 12:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Great scoop, thanks for sharing!

Me thinks that the engine start / stop button & smart keyless entry might make their way to the facelift. It's due now, as the current-gen Swift is over two years old.

Suzuki's diesel engine might make an entry on the next-generation Swift.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 14:26   #6
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As mentioned by Autocar, they are first going to introduce their diesel engine in their commercial vehicle range where expectations are low! I guess once issues if any are sorted out then we will get to see it in their hatchbacks.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...cv-359350.aspx
Old 5th October 2013, 14:31   #7
BHPian

No way they are going to change the current engine anywhere soon, just bringing it closer to euro specs for the upcoming facelifted Swift.

The new motors look like more of a long term plan as GTO mentioned.
Old 5th October 2013, 17:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMO its too early to believe that MS is replacing 1.3MJD with a newer 1.2L Suzuki diesel engine in their highest selling car.

And yes too little info. to validate the same.

Quote:
The engine has the Suzuki logo and “Suzuki” written on it, but unfortunately it is a bit difficult to open the bonnet and take pics as that would be taking things too far.
Current Swift's 1.3MJD too has Suzuki written on it which is obvious!

Last edited by HammerHead : 5th October 2013 at 17:02.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 17:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess this is for the auto expo which is coming up. Maruti has this habit of showcasing foreign versions of swift, Sx4 and then aftermarket modded local versions. Hence I think this was brought in to prepare it for the auto expo.

Extra features is the need of thehour to keep the swift doing those fantastic numbers and if this is really getting added to the Zdi/Zxi it is a welcome move. The fender has the DDiS emblem so I dont think this is any new engine though I have no idea about the validity of my feeling
Old 5th October 2013, 18:10   #10
BHPian

Great scoop indeed. Looking from business de-risking perspective, it is a great move from Japanese. But it would be interesting to know the reaction of Italians. By the way now Suzuki engineers have a very difficult task of developing an engine which is at least similar or better than Fiat's engine.

Anyways we need to wait for three years.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

1)
Quote:
Great scoop, thanks for sharing!
A high possibility. They will now evade any royalty charges and have an open end for modifications and/or re-engineering.

2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Current Swift's 1.3MJD too has Suzuki written on it which is obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guess this is for the auto expo which is coming up. Maruti has this habit of showcasing foreign versions of swift, Sx4 and then aftermarket modded local versions. Hence I think this was brought in to prepare it for the auto expo.

Extra features is the need of thehour to keep the swift doing those fantastic numbers and if this is really getting added to the Zdi/Zxi it is a welcome move. The fender has the DDiS emblem so I dont think this is any new engine though I have no idea about the validity of my feeling

The DDiS monkier is like the monkier of CRDi of Hyundai. Hyundai used it on Accent CRDi which had a 1.5 3-cylinder motor which itself was derived out of 2.0 Ltr. Detriod diesel unit. And Hyundai still uses CRDi tag for its cars now running on in-house motors. DDiS, CRDi, CDI, etc. just tags which are registered with manufacturer ( correct me if I am wrong here ).
Else, all modern diesel cars have CRDI tech in their motors.

So DDiS tag does not mean its only for Fiat SDE used in Maruti cars.

3) The diesel plans are rather late for Suzuki. Suzuki was rumoured to have 2.0 ltr. diesel ready with Kizashi, but it did not. Then new SX4 ( the current S-cross ) was expected to have Suzuki's in-house diesel unit, but it did not.

Another link at ACI mentions that there will be an 800 cc two cylinder motor. So that makes 800cc 2 cylinder, 1200cc three cylinder and finally 1.6 diesel. If the information regarding 1.4 is true then we might have 0.8 2 cylinder, 1.2 and 1.4 atleast. Then 1.6 based on 0.8 2 cylinder. I expect 1.2 to be a 4 cylinder in the interests of NVH.

Suzuki has taken a big hit by not developing in house diesels. So did Honda and even Toyota ( its current line up is not competitive ).

Suzuki wants to have diesel engine in almost all its cars due to high demand in India ( its stronghold ) and EU. EU has a big diesel market where competition leapfrogs in quick fashion. And almost all Suzuki's are in relatively compact range.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 5th October 2013 at 18:32.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 20:20   #12
BHPian

Wow. I hope the keyless entry comes into the facelift models. Then I can buy the parts and retrofit into my older cars as well.

On another note the real acid test will be the NVH levels of the engine(s). Poor NVH and the swift will be relegated to the backbenches for the typical Indian middle class.
Old 5th October 2013, 21:19   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
what a scoop. If this is correct then what happens to all those who have bought the Suzuki DDIS engines, support stops after 5 years or so.
The parts would be available for 10 years after discontinuance of the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like you have driven it! How come you know the driving experience of this Diesel motor? Please provide a bit more details
The engine has very high nozzle noise, and there is also the higher vibration levels. The initial pick up is also subtantially lower than that of Fiat's MJD engine. Of course, this is Suzuki's first crack at the diesel segment and understandably there will be issues.

One of the areas for testing the car was to drive up a extremely steep incline with very high speed breakers at the start of the climb. In comparison to the Fiat engine, this engine had to be revved very high and the clutch released suddenly (a la race starts!!). In comparison the Fiat engine could do this without the "race start".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Great scoop! Considering the tax benefit for diesel is applicable for both 1.2L and 1.4L engines, I wonder why would Suzuki have 1.2 and 1.4 separately? Swift deserves the 1.4 engine.
Will they differentiate new SX4, Ertiga etc with the 1.4? In any case SX4 or Ertiga won't enjoy the tax benifit - why not go for even bigger engines for them!

Request mods to watermark the images fully
Sadly, it looks like the Swift will be given the 1.2L engine as the majority of customers aren't into performance. The 1.4L should go into the Ertiga and the SX4.

Quote:
Me thinks that the engine start / stop button & smart keyless entry might make their way to the facelift. It's due now, as the current-gen Swift is over two years old.
Yes, that should be so.

Quote:
Yes. I think so too.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th October 2013 at 09:50. Reason: Changed steep engine to steep incline
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 11:37   #14
BANNED

Any update from Maruti Suzuki for the updated version of the Swift? As to when could the model be launched?
Anurag.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:53   #15
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
The only visible external differences on this car are:

(1) The keyless go, push button start and the cruise control buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel (audio controls have been moved to the left).

The pics show Push button start, Cruise Control, keyless touch sensor on the door handle and a sensor on the roof for accurate recording of ambient temperatures during tests.
Did this have the DRLs found on the Swift facelift launched (I think in Europe) earlier this year?

Last edited by rohit_dce : 7th October 2013 at 13:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks