Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 08:46   #1

Transfer of Residence and LHD cars

Hi Gang,

I could use some help here. I have a family member coming back to Mumbai and would like to send an automobile for my personal use. The problem is, the one I want is only available in LHD *

Would i be allowed to use it in India. Actually, if someone could explain the process of importing and duties etc it would be a great help.

* I want to bring in the Dodge Charger SR8. The souped up Hemi that puts out 425BHP at the rear wheel. Looks fantastic and i could probably smoke anything in Mumabi ..

PS> A Rolls was delivered to my Mumbai building last week. There is also a H2, a Bentley Continental, a Ferrari 430 Spyder ... Any guesses on where I live and who my childhood friends are?

MM
Old 16th June 2006, 09:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarketng
for my personal use. The problem is, the one I want is only available in LHD *

Would i be allowed to use it in India. Actually, if someone could explain the process of importing and duties etc it would be a great help.

PS> A Rolls was delivered to my Mumbai building last week. There is also a H2, a Bentley Continental, a Ferrari 430 Spyder ... Any guesses on where I live and who my childhood friends are?

MM
You seem to have influencial friends who have already been through the process- ask them.

Do you really want our advice or are you trying to show where you live ?

Last edited by ajmat : 16th June 2006 at 10:50.
Old 16th June 2006, 10:26   #3
BANNED

MM.. Whoop de doo for you!.
Having said that.. I don't think you can get a LHD into the country anymore whoever you are.

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 16th June 2006 at 10:30.
Old 16th June 2006, 10:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Do you really want our advice or are you trying to know where you live ?
LOL

It seems to be the case Ajmat I think he's just forgotten the name of his apartment building!!
Old 16th June 2006, 10:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
MM.. Whoop de doo for you!.
Having said that.. I don't think you can get a LHD into the country anymore whoever you are.
Yup you cant, Only RHD cars are allowed except for embassies. I wanted to import my car from the us, on further invertigation i found that i could import it but it would not be released from the customs / container depot as it was an ldh. unfortunately i had to sell it
Old 16th June 2006, 10:54   #6
BHPian

Dude why does your location show Los Angeles!!
Are you the Marketing Head of Ferrari's Indian operations?

Last edited by MustangMan : 16th June 2006 at 11:03.
Old 16th June 2006, 11:22   #7
BANNED

Mustang.. you took the words right outa my mouth! Believe it or not I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 16th June 2006, 11:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan
Dude why does your location show Los Angeles!!
Are you the Marketing Head of Ferrari's Indian operations?
I'm sure he is not the guy you are thinking. we had such confusion quite some time back.

Anyways dude i'm not sure if u can import you car here. but i'd surely love to drool over the pics of your dodge. when shall we expect them dude.
Old 16th June 2006, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* I want to bring in the Dodge Charger SR8. The souped up Hemi that puts out 425BHP at the rear wheel. Looks fantastic and i could probably smoke anything in Mumabi ..
If you really want that SRT-8, you should probably get the 300 or the 300 Touring, which is now available as a RHD in the UK. You wont get the 6.1, but you can get the 5.7. IMHO,the 300/Magnum looks much better than the current Charger.
Old 16th June 2006, 21:30   #10
BHPian

You live in Bandra, on Pali Hill. And your friends are the Dewans.
Cheers
Old 16th June 2006, 22:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gang,

I could use some help here. I have a family member coming back to Mumbai and would like to send an automobile for my personal use. The problem is, the one I want is only available in LHD *

MM
Ferrari 430 Spider*...
Old 16th June 2006, 23:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Firstly there would be many cars in mumbai which would whop SRT8s @$$ back to the US..

Secondly, its not 425 to the rear wheels, its 425 to the crank, more like 350 or less to the rear wheels

Its quite a sadly put together machine, but if you are going to send the car here, and willing to spend the 40+40 on duty then you might as well spend the 20 on getting it converted to RHD from UK, i can give you the info if you are interested...

So no LHD allowed...go get a conversion it costs 9995 GBP about 8.5 lakh Rs, but then again the car costs 18 Lakhs + 18 Lakhs in duty + Ins + Road Tax, you are looking at a tad under 50 for the car, instead of a little over 40, so makes not much of a diff...
Old 17th June 2006, 13:19   #13
BHPian

The Car Connection is running the first spy shots of Dodge’s hotly anticipated Charger. Man, for a car we’ve been looking forward to for four years, it sure looks damn unremarkable up on that truck, doesn’t it? More like a cop car than pavement-scorching Detroit muscle. Damn you, cold reality.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/spy-pho...ger-022670.php

Need I Say more. pls dont get this to India and feel humiliated among ur friends.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th June 2006 at 14:34.
Old 17th June 2006, 15:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dude, the Charger has aldready been released. Whats the need for spy pics now?
Old 17th June 2006, 19:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Dude, the Charger has aldready been released. Whats the need for spy pics now?
Haha, exactly. You beat me to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks