Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 15:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2013 BMW 5-Series Facelift launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967'stang View Post
OT- what is the difference between the Alpina D5 and 550d?
( even though 550d is monstrous)
Alpina D5 is a 535d remapped by Alpina making aprox 345hp

Where as the 550d is making aprox 375hp (stock)

Also note 550d is ONLY available as an X-Drive(all wheel drive)
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 20:02   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Alpina D5 is a 535d remapped by Alpina making aprox 345hp

Where as the 550d is making aprox 375hp (stock)

Also note 550d is ONLY available as an X-Drive(all wheel drive)
The 550d is also the same engine, except the Alpina still has 2 turbos of the 535d while the 550d has 3 turbos.
Old 15th October 2013, 20:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Some pointers which perhaps have not been noticed,

Price hike is quite Marginal on 530d, and you see more of it in terms of 'percentage' on the 520/25d, that's also because those get a lot more additions compared to their pre-facelift models. With all the equipment added it's quite justified, do check E250CDI (not the launch ed.) is priced at about 45.6 Ex-Showroom and does not even have real Leather. (Unless this has changed recently it was the 'Artico' upholstery.

Some of the options which have been made standard across the models for now are,

1. Harman Kardon Sound System
2. Rear View Camera
3. Multi Function Display
4. Sport Steering Wheel
5. Adaptive LED headlamps
6. Illuminated Door Sills With their lines. (modern/luxury)

(If you looked up the global site itself those are worth a lot and including the Modern / Luxury line pack, while the base car is without any such add ons which truly do help make the car feel special inside out.)

BMW India, at a later stage will launch a 520d if needed, without the above as thats how the pre-facelift car was where you could get it for about 41-42, but that will happen at a later stage. They now even have the option of 18d, if they need to go further down the line in terms of volumes but again is something they can and will look at in 2014 end / Early 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I still cannot understand why the 5 series LWB sold is China is not brought here.
Since India is a RHD, Market and the volumes are too low to justify it. If China was a RHD Market, we would have had them, but for now the cost of engineering just makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The Price of the 520d Is up from 43 odd Lacs by almost 4 lacs.
Sir,

Price hike is quite justified as now the 520d feels like a complete car, and the model you speak of will come later as a Baseline model.

525d, has been a 4 Cylinder model since a long time now, and has had no issues selling it, best thing is earlier it had Rear Seat Entertainment as standard which is now replaced with Navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
The only reason for this price hike is to make way for the upcoming 3GT.
Adi,

This price hike isn't really going to matter with the 3GT, as a Base 520 is already being worked upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Agreed fully. The 5 series always sold on a discount
dkaile,

Every, and I mean every car in this segment is sold at a similar discounts.

Quote:
Same Strategy as the New 3 I reckon. As far as the new 5 is concerned, LEDs are there even on the 3 series luxury and sport line.
Mate, 3 Series was a bad start, they had to in a period of 4 months consolidate the models from Sport + / Luxury + etc. Forget LED's the 3 Rear lights have bulbs which is beyond pathetic.

Similar consolidation is taking place for another model, which has again been a big disaster at launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I fail to understand the 0-100 timings myself
Only BMW can explain the difference here
Karan,

The engines while they have the same rating have been tweaked, in what context I have not been able to ask but it seems these engines have been worked upon a lot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
Add to this the added stiff ride due to 18" RFT's and suddenly back seat customers may like to look the other way.
Ricky,

Do go test drive the new '5' even with the larger Rims the ride feels a lot better than the previous cars.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 20:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The 550d is also the same engine, except the Alpina still has 2 turbos of the 535d while the 550d has 3 turbos.
Off course bro i know that, i just meant to highlight the HP figures for simpler understanding & differentiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Karan,

The engines while they have the same rating have been tweaked, in what context I have not been able to ask but it seems these engines have been worked upon a lot,

But still somehow i believe that the only mechanical change in the 5 LCI is a reworked steering.

Last edited by karan561 : 15th October 2013 at 21:03.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:23   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post

1. Harman Kardon Sound System
2. Rear View Camera
3. Multi Function Display
4. Sport Steering Wheel
5. Adaptive LED headlamps
6. Illuminated Door Sills With their lines. (modern/luxury)

(If you looked up the global site itself those are worth a lot and including the Modern / Luxury line pack, while the base car is without any such add ons which truly do help make the car feel special inside out.)
So I went onto the UK configurator, and specced a 530d to pretty much the exact specs we get here. And guess what, it was 55k Quid. Take the present exchange rate and it seems we are getting the 530d at the same price as the UK.

As Karan mentioned the steering is supposed to be a lot better now too.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:49   #51
BHPian

50 Days since launch and i'm yet to see the facelift 5 series on the road.
Compared to this, must've seen 100's of E class facelifts on the road.

BMW facing the brunt of their rash pricing strategy? Further, BMW has announced 7-10% price hike from 1st Jan 2014 Which will only drive customers further away.
Future looks bleak for BMW india.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:06   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

New BMW 5-series scooped.

2013 BMW 5-Series Facelift launched in India-i4mbstfb.jpg

The all-new seventh-generation BMW 5-series has been spotted testing for the first time.
These intial road-going prototypes reveal that development on the new 5-series has advanced beyond the initial computer simulation phase. The new executive contender is slated for sale in the UK by the end of 2016.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sc...series-scooped
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 11:08   #53
BHPian

I think the product and marketing folk at BMW have got it horribly wrong.

They have failed to realise that what made their 5 Series a success was the 520d and although it came with a curtailed features/options list, it sold coz it was positioned at the right price point.

Similarly what has made the Audi A6 and new E Class successful are their entry level models.

I am a die hard BMW fan and would love to see them succeed, however expanding the features list of the entry level model 520d to include Adaptive LED headlights and stuff like a multi information display, drastically adds to the cost and while they are great to have in the car would not have influenced the prospective buyer's decision more than the price.

Anyway instead of offering two lines for the 520d in the Modern and Luxury Line maybe they could have 2 variants of the Luxury Line itself ; one with adequate features like the previous 520d and the other fully loaded.

I was looking to buy the 530d M-Sport and was being offered the pre-facelift for 60 on-road Mumbai. Decided to wait for the LCI version which now works out to almost 72 on-road Mumbai. Which after the price hike would probably go to 80 lakhs on-road Mumbai ; for a 5 series!!!

While I love the car, engine, interior and features, what I found after doing some research and visiting the BMW UK Configurator and find surprising is that BMW has unnecessarily included features which severely impact final cost and don't have a bearing at all on the decision making process. For example the rear seat entertainment package is GBP 2,200 which after duty would probably be worth 4 lakhs in the final ex-showroom price of the car (probably 5 after registration and other taxes).

All of us are aware and appreciate that the 530d is predominantly a car for the self-driven and all of my friends who have the 530d have never operated the rear seat entertainment screens and those who get in the back only put fingerprints on them thinking they are touch-screens (which they are not). The absolute irony being that the 520d and 525d are positioned as executive cars for the chauffeur-driven which don't have this feature.

Instead of such an extra-ordinary and unnecessary cost they could've given the line-up some distinguishing feature like a special colour instead. Which is also unfortunate that most of these car makers colour palette don't go beyond the usual blacks, silvers and whites. I'm glad that they atleast offered the red on the 3 series and now Audi is offering a maroon on the A6. In the race for volumes and numbers these manufacturer's cars have become a bit boring to look at in these sober shades.

I sincerely hope BMW in all their wisdom realize that anyway with the cost of imports having gone up drastically with the severe depreciation of the rupee in the last year and people's purchasing power stagnating in a limp economy, they should keep additional costs and prices under control and along with simply passing them onto the customer should rationalize them by offering products suited to their audience and distinguishing their variants and products distinctly as per the market requirement like what Merc has done with the new E-Class. Realization is key for them to understand what they've been doing wrong that inspite of being the preferred brand in the luxury space they've given away their lead and advantage to Audi and Merc.

Note from Support - Please use paragraphs to ensure better readability and avoid using dots in between words as it makes for a difficult read. Your post has been corrected accordingly.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th December 2013 at 12:21.
bigbadwolf is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 17:38   #54
BHPian

Checked out the new 5 series today. One thing I particularly loved is the new instrument cluster.

It's all digital - I dare say it gives u the feel similar to tesla S . It was so unique and nice that I had to click a video and post it here.

The entire panel changed colour with changes in driving modes.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 BMW 5-Series Facelift launched in India-image3174799109.jpg  

Bluebeem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:04   #55
BHPian

Sorry. Didn't realize the mobile app doesn't upload videos.

Here it is. According to the SA the only other car in india that has this is the new range rover vogue.

Pretty cool stuff.

Bluebeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Here it is. According to the SA the only other car in india that has this is the new range rover vogue.

Pretty cool stuff.

http://Youtu.be/q8qjT_E62tM
The Jaguar XJ too has a LCD display and changes to red when you put it in Dynamic (Sports) mode. Even the new S Class has an LCD but im unsure whether the color of dials change.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 23:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
The Jaguar XJ too has a LCD display and changes to red when you put it in Dynamic (Sports) mode. Even the new S Class has an LCD but im unsure whether the color of dials change.
even the new volvo s60 has a TFT display with three different modes.
white_vdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:17   #58
BHPian

Does anybody know the current discount being offered on the New 530D ?

Regards
PS
Old 22nd December 2013, 21:24   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Pretty cool stuff.
The Volvo V40 and S60 too have this TFT screen and with different modes. It looks really awesome. Even the S80 and XC60 are coming with this now but not sure about these two. You will be surprised by the feature list of Volvo entry level cars!
Old 28th February 2014, 15:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Finally the Baseline model is out for the 520d, (Prestige) Good Value, and most of what is omitted doesn't matter to an average buyer.

Minor Changes have been made to the 3, X3, etc. too you can check www.bmw.in for any more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Take the present exchange rate and it seems we are getting the 530d at the same price as the UK.
S350L-E240 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks