Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2007, 23:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Red toyota qualis doing the rounds in pune with a yellow registration plate saying 30 CC .... [the 4 dots are for numbers],any idea what does that mean.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 5th February 2007 at 00:01.
Old 4th February 2007, 23:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

CC would be a "consulate car" .
Old 5th February 2007, 00:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sajo.

In bangalore there are cars having numberplates with black backgrounds and yellow text,any idea about its significance[was told by our driver that they are self drive tourist cars is this correct]

One of the best places I found,where you could have a look at the beneficiaries of EPCG is Sahar airport[mumbai].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 5th February 2007 at 00:22.
Old 5th February 2007, 01:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
@V-16 : 8 times the foreign exchange saved over many years or the year after the purchase?
yuu would have to earn minimum 8times of the FE saved i.e. the duty saved in the next 8 years after the car has been recieved by you. They were thinking of making it 8 times in the next 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Red toyota qualis doing the rounds in pune with a yellow registration plate saying 30 CC .... [the 4 dots are for numbers],any idea what does that mean.
CC would mean a consulate car and 30cc woud mean I think one of the Emirates or the UAE or Kuwait Consulate..one of the Saudi countries not sure which one. By getting such a number plate, there is no tax of any kind or no regd. charges on the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Thanks sajo.
In bangalore there are cars having numberplates with black backgrounds and yellow text,any idea about its significance[was told by our driver that they are self drive tourist cars is this correct]
One of the best places I found,where you could have a look at the beneficiaries of EPCG is Sahar airport[mumbai].
Well yes all rent a car/cab companies would have to get such a coloured number plate which diffrenciates it from a pvt vehicle or a taxi
Old 5th February 2007, 02:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

uhhmm a question about getting cars into the county on the NRI scheme.

1 Is the duty 40% or 154%?
2 Besides the car being a RHD are there any other limitations?
3 Does the car have to be new or does it have to be owned by the NRI for a number of years?
Old 5th February 2007, 03:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post

3 Does the car have to be new or does it have to be owned by the NRI for a number of years?
The duty under the TR (transfer of residence) scheme is upwards or 140%. U can get a brand new car for 112% but the TR car has to be minimum a year old and in the possession and use of the person returning to India. There is also a clause for persons coming in from countries that use LHD cars as in most Indian metros today LHD cars cannot be registered. The old ones remain but no new LHD registerations. For this ull have to contact an expert and if ur srious about getting a car here I could get you the info or give u that experts number, who for a small fee will take care of everything from shipping ur car from ur current place of residence till handling the duties, clearance etc. Its worth giving the job to him, in my opinion.
Old 5th February 2007, 03:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post

As far as i tried to find out, it was 104%(same as when u bring in new cars) on the depreciated value and a max of 70% depreciation can be taken(or is it 30%).

The car has to be RHD(atleast when it enters the country) and it needs to be registered in your name for a minumum of 1 yr in the foreign country.

Also ppl are taking about EPCG, well its not very difficult if you have the connections, most of the guys who avail EPCG have connections but not to the extend as to avoid the hassles. I know of someone in a very important business who has bought multiple cars under EPCG without a hitch for many years and will cont to do so. He might even think about the new license plate available which is LED based so when parked it could have a yellow background and when driving it could be in white or whatever else comes out. anyhow I think its ridiculous to charge the duty they do in todays time but thats another story altogether.

Last edited by 1Day : 5th February 2007 at 03:43.
Old 5th February 2007, 07:15   #23
BHPian

1Day/V16
Can you pls help me get clarified on the importing of cars in NRI Scheme?

"As far as i tried to find out, it was 104%(same as when u bring in new cars) on the depreciated value and a max of 70% depreciation can be taken(or is it 30%)."

What is this means exactly? Because, as I am given a 20ft container to bring back all my households when I return back to my country by my employer. I thought of bringing a car which I bought as new which is less than 1600cc. I read somewhere about that i can bring back a car which is owned by me atleast one year in my name and not more than 2 years old (note sure about this though). The duty will be max of 70%!

Can you pls let me know more on this and a simple calculation will do! Thanks
Old 5th February 2007, 09:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
1Day/V16
Can you pls help me get clarified on the importing of cars in NRI Scheme?

"As far as i tried to find out, it was 104%(same as when u bring in new cars) on the depreciated value and a max of 70% depreciation can be taken(or is it 30%)."

What is this means exactly? Because, as I am given a 20ft container to bring back all my households when I return back to my country by my employer. I thought of bringing a car which I bought as new which is less than 1600cc. I read somewhere about that i can bring back a car which is owned by me atleast one year in my name and not more than 2 years old (note sure about this though). The duty will be max of 70%!

Can you pls let me know more on this and a simple calculation will do! Thanks
I guess you are trying to get the SX4 back to India. No offence but id advice you to sell it and buy another car in India. Importing cars is a big pain and besides having to pay duty on your car you will also have problems with servicing it later on. IMO unless the car is somtihng special and isnt available in India one should just stick to domestic cars.

Im not sure about this but if the engine size is less than 3000cc I think you may have to send it to the ARAI for testing
Old 5th February 2007, 11:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

The EPCG scheme is a very valid & useful scheme for genuine businessmen, just like the various other schemes that are brought on by the govt. to help the growth of the indian industry. But, it is not watertight, it cannot be. However there are unscrupulous elements (Which are in plenty in India), who misuse these schemes by bribing a few officials in the DGFT. When a commitment is made thru EPCG, it is for a period of 15 years & that is a long time. I know a few EOUs who have not kept up their commitments & have been fined a few thousands or lakhs & given a further grace period of 5 years to fullfill their export obligation. all this while, they churn out products for the DTA & make a whole bundle of money without doing any exports.

The Hotel industry is no different. there are genuine operators, but IMHO there aren't many. Most/all of them misuse this scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
It seems to be a temporary import in which case it wud go back to its habitat after a certain period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Legally, the car/bike should not be sold for atleast 2 years from its entry into port/registration. So, the vehicle is registered in the 'TR passport holder's name ,but is used by the buyer who gets a 'TO' form signed by the owner.
So, there isn't much choice for the cops.
Moreover, the duty for TR is 40% while the EPCG is just 5%.

Hmmm. , now you seem to be an expert on this, pal.
Old 19th September 2023, 14:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got an import? Well yellow is the way

Hello everyone,

Wanted to get a clarity if one can still import a car today under the EPCG scheme?

We own a couple of hotels and are looking to import a luxury car for guest airport transfers or local travel. Does anyone have a clarity on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks