Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 11:14   #1
BHPian

JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown

Please see following tweets of Salman Khan:

Quote:
“Meri bichari Range Rover ke hal kharab hai in last 1&1/2 yrs 9times brakepads hv failed 1bari pura suspension gaya or kal gadi he baith gayi.” He meant, my Range Rover's brake pads have been changed 9 times in last 1 and half years, entire suspension changed once and finally the car broke down yesterday.

"The company guys say its a heavy car so the break pads vil wear off hehehe toh bus truck aur train n planes ka rose badalte hongay kya.” He meant, The company officials and customer service tells him that as the Range Rover is a heavy car, this things keep happening.” To which he tweets, “If that’s the case, bus, truck, trains and planes change brakepads everyday?”

"“so kinda pissed with the attitude of the people at Range Rover they hv no concept of customer service.”
With over 5 million followers on Twitter and almost 10 million followers on Facebook, this news is a PR nightmare for Jaguar Land Rover India.

Salman Khan in his RR:

Source: http://www.wheelomania.com/2013/10/s...n-twitter.html

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2013 at 13:10. Reason: Image
sarthakgupta is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster. Salman Khan tweet his anger due to his broken down Range R

Brake pads changed 9 times in 1.5 years? I do not think he will munch a lakh of miles also when many exotics share the garage with his Range Rover. Never thought the realiability is so bad with JLR.

Recollect hearing "Range Rovers are the best in SUVs and you should buy one someday man" from a relative who came from abroad when sat on my Xylo
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 11:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster. Salman Khan tweet his anger due to his broken down Range R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Never thought the realiability is so bad with JLR.
Land Rovers have been consistently rated bottom of the reliability charts in the west.

Few Quick search links, there are thousands if you search:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...reak-year.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/stu...icle-1.1317954

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...ufacturer.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-and-jd-power/
.anshuman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:05   #4
BHPian

Well, that is one new number from the "book of excuses" in the Dealer's Bible!

At least they stopped short of blaming Salman Khan's driving habits or his chauffeur's poor training or the poor angle of the ramp at his parking entrance,
Yeldo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:06   #5
BANNED

British cars were never "reliable" and will never be. But they top the charts in appealing more to the heart than the head and is usually the reason people buy them.

On another note brake pads wearing out 9 times in 18 months looks to be another of those stories to be taken with loads of salt - did he take it every 2 months to the dealer for a "underbody wash and brake pad change please"?.

If Salman is so pissed with Landrovers then why did he present the director of one of his most successful films with an Land Rover Evoque?

As most stories of cars breaking down have indicated on further discussions (BMW's etc included) it is more to do with abuse of the car rather than an actual problem with the car, while some of them are just that - stories.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 15th October 2013 at 12:08.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

It may also mean that from that Land cruiser accident, Miyan is driving with his foot on brake lever.
ani_meher is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:13   #7
BHPian

Someone I know has a petrol vogue 2008/2009 (v8 or v12 I am not sure,whatever was the most expensive option), his gearbox got stuck in the middle of the road.
JLR repaired it for a hefty bill and it occurred again. The car was in workshop for 2 months recently. He too is super irritated with the car especially when he bought top of the line petrol and keeps his cars very very well)

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 15th October 2013 at 12:16.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see Salman care about his money and time (that's being wasted on the RR), even if he may have ample of both. whenever I am at the Skoda dealer, I see many car sent there with the driver (with lots of cash) - all the dealer has to do is spend it all on whatever comes to mind. The owners don't seem to care!

And Kudos to Salman Khan for tweeting his experiences and feelings in Hindi. Whenever I see customers talking to the dealer staff in English (on every stupid issue with the car), I am amused. Just because the car is expensive, all Indians involved suddenly start talking English!
anandpadhye is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 13:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown

Quote:
The actor later wrote that after his car broke down, he took an auto rickshaw ride home. “Kal raat ko jab gadi band padi had to take a rick home, really enjoyed the rickshaw ride : )...Been going on since a long time toh wanted to tweet this. Bus, aur batao kya haal hai?”
It seems it broke down again (or was this in sequence?) and he had to go home by auto. There seems to be a generic response from the company as well
Quote:
The carmaker, Jaguar Land Rover, however, says it has duly apologised. "We have immediately tendered our apology to the customer for the inconvenience caused to him. We have also taken necessary action to resolve the complaint immediately," says the company spokesperson.
Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entert...1-1132989.aspx
Old 15th October 2013, 14:35   #10
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
With over 5 million followers on Twitter and almost 10 million followers on Facebook, this news is a PR nightmare for Jaguar Land Rover India.
I had posted about it in GTO's thread on the Freelander - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3260545

He should perhaps invest in a LandCruiser as his everyday ride! Just look at Big B. Or maybe the LandCruiser brings back bad memories for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Brake pads changed 9 times in 1.5 years? I do not think he will munch a lakh of miles also when many exotics share the garage with his Range Rover.
More often than not he's spotted in this very car. Seems to be his everyday ride. I assume he still has his X6. I wonder if these Bollywood folks ever maintain their cars.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 14:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

As most stories of cars breaking down have indicated on further discussions (BMW's etc included) it is more to do with abuse of the car rather than an actual problem with the car, while some of them are just that - stories.
Have they? Sense of balance please. Why the rush to give dealers and manufacturers the benefit of doubt, at the expense of customers? Has Salman Khan been known to make false allegations against automakers?

Should auto manufacturers not be held responsible for the quality of their product and service levels? How do we do that if at the mere mention of a complaint, based on some past 'stories' some would rather seek to causally discredit than address.

Do busy customers want to waste time maligning automakers instead of carrying on with their business?

The only thing that can justify that benefit of doubt is if most of the reports have been customer 'stories' as you say but most of the threads I have read here have been about dealer indifference, company indifference, unholy rush to wash their hands off, and in some cases fraud and naked criminality. Can you post some links to the 'stories' here.

No professional company will allow service issues always easily addressed to escalate into a PR disaster, like it has here.

Last edited by raul : 15th October 2013 at 14:59.
raul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 15:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

More often than not he's spotted in this very car. Seems to be his everyday ride. I assume he still has his X6. I wonder if these Bollywood folks ever maintain their cars.
The X6 is long gone. Not sure if he sold it or sent it to his farm house in Panvel where he keeps several of his recreational vehicles.

The Range Rover has been repaired and returned. He often also uses the families S-class and 7 series. All these cars are white in color.
Old 15th October 2013, 15:39   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Can you post some links to the 'stories' here.
You're reading one here. 9 brake pad changes in 18 months is an indication of either customer abuse or a story.
Old 15th October 2013, 15:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
You're reading one here. 9 brake pad changes in 18 months is an indication of either customer abuse or a story.
9 pads doesn't mean the entire set. 9 means just entire set might have been replaced twice. Instead of changing all at once they might be doing a trial and error everytime by changing one at a time.

And seriously what abuse can these guys do in Mumbai? Car is almost chauffeur driven. He has people following like the paparazzi. He can't rip it anywhere easily.

And the RR is meant for real off road abuse. Abuse on city roads is nowhere close to what will happen in an OTR.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 16:06   #15
BHPian

re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown

So at least that's one thing in common with Tata Motors. JLR cars were never reliable, everybody knows that. Even in the motherland people will tell you that they love the car but will they stake their life on it, not a chance.

For life staking opportunities you use Japanese, the UN shifted to Toyota from Land rovers for this very reason.
eq24 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks