Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi shows decline in fuel consumption over the last 3 years

Delhi Statistical Handbook 2013 released recently indicates that the diesel consumption reduced from 10.98 lakh tonne in 2009-10 to 10.37 lakh tonne by 2012-13. Petrol slid from 8.07 to 7.87.

When the entire world is struggling to cope and achieve a reduction in fossil fuel usage, this is indeed a thing to take note. Hard to believe though, as it contradicts with the number of vehicles sold being on the increase.

Over the period, the diesel figures are like below;
2009-10 - 10.93
2010-11 - 8.04
2011-12 - 9.30
2012-13 - 10.28

The information is available in the shared document from delhi.gov site: http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/conn...cal+Hand+Book/
sarathlal is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi shows decline in fuel consumption over the last 3 years

Fuel is/was mostly consumed by public transport. With the shift to CNG for most of them, reduction in diesel consumption was expected. This was the long term goal and good to see that its taking shape.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:06   #3
BHPian

This is really some good news for our environment.
Better spread of alternate fuel outlets like CNG is certainly paying off in Delhi region.

I remember, there was study done for CNG variant of a Car model. It was shown that Delhi region has highest CNG outlets.

Last edited by Nicky : 16th October 2013 at 11:10.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Shifting of public vehicles to CNG in Delhi was done way ahead of 2009-2010 (I guess it was around 1998-1999 timeframe).
The noticible change during 09-10 time frame was expansion of Delhi Metro, may be that was one major factor. Also, diesel consumption is high for electric generators, I guess a year with less load shedding should reflect lesser diesel consumption.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is just too silly
Consumption reduced drastically in 2010-2011 due to metro rail and also power situation improving drastically.
From then on its a steady rise.
This just shows how statistics can be manipulated.

Another factor could be the rise of diesel price in Delhi as compared to Haryana. All commercial vehicles crossing the border now fill up in Haryana. You rarely see interstate trucks filling up in Delhi

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th October 2013 at 11:43.
tsk1979 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 14:19   #6
BHPian

Re: Delhi shows decline in fuel consumption over the last 3 years

Would be interesting if someone could add the CNG consumption figures along with the conventional fuels decreased consumption. That would present a much clearer picture of the actual scenario.
Having said that, most of the people driving petrol cars in my circle have shifted to CNG for sometime now. And I belong to the middle class which is a major constituent of the mango republic.
Oh, and launch of factory fitted CNG kits and better installers/kits(sequential kits) have opened the idea of CNGfying one's costly accord/civic/corolla/CRV for the upper middle class too. After all, who would mind a saving of at least 50% on their fuel bills.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Admittedly these figures mean very little. What were the steps taken to minimize the fuel consumption? Month on Month we do see a steady increase in the sales of cars in this forum, pretty sure it does not mean that the new cars are fuel efficient.
If CNG is one good reason for the fall, why is it not spread across to other key cities like Bangalore/Hyderabad.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is just too silly
Consumption reduced drastically in 2010-2011 due to metro rail and also power situation improving drastically.

Another factor could be the rise of diesel price in Delhi as compared to Haryana. All commercial vehicles crossing the border now fill up in Haryana. You rarely see interstate trucks filling up in Delhi
Right tsk1979. Just yesterday there was an article in the times of India that on the 28th October all Delhi petrol pumps wil be closed to force Sheila Dixit to reduce the VAT form 12% to 9% par with Haraya state.

It also mentioned that most of the Bulk users like the Fleet operators,Cabs, Local transport operators are buying Diesel from the neighbouring state of Haraya which is cheaper by Rs. 1.50 per liter. Not only this, they are also buying the less clean diesel which is Euro III instead of Euro IV being sold in delhi. Like of the TOI article is below

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/24166075.cms
gsb350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 15:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

I'm guessing this statistic is only Delhi. Over the years NCR has grown a lot like Gurgaon and Noida. The usage might have increased there but reduced in proper Delhi is my guess.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 19:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is just too silly

Totally agree with you. Not to forget people like me who live in Delhi but work in Gurgaon get their share of diesel from haryana as its cheaper.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I think a per capita consumption (total consumption/ total number of vehicles) would give a better idea of whether things are improving. Looks doubtful since the increases in the last two years are significant (even accounting for one-time correction thanks to metro/CNG in public transport).

There is also the very real issue of fuel prices going up drastically in the last couple of years, and simple economics tells us that demand goes down as price increases. At the very least people with access to public transport will exercise that choice more wisely. Which is all good.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think a per capita consumption (total consumption/ total number of vehicles) would give a better idea of whether things are improving. Looks doubtful since the increases in the last two years are significant (even accounting for one-time correction thanks to metro/CNG in public transport).

There is also the very real issue of fuel prices going up drastically in the last couple of years, and simple economics tells us that demand goes down as price increases. At the very least people with access to public transport will exercise that choice more wisely. Which is all good.
Simple economics not working. Price going up, demand is also going up in the past 2-3 years.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Even if demand stayed flat, its still a notable achievement.

Switching from petrol to CNG is also a healthy trend because IIRC CNG is not imported

I recently chatted with a Delhiite about the impact of Metro and he tells me its wildly popular and has attracted the crowd that would otherwise use 2 wheelers (petrol) and Buses (CNG/diesel)

Quote:
Simple economics not working. Price going up, demand is also going up in the past 2-3 years.
That demand could be coming from large scale migration into Delhi attributed to the job growth & secondly people upgrading to larger vehicles as standard of living improves
Old 16th October 2013, 22:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
If CNG is one good reason for the fall, why is it not spread across to other key cities like Bangalore/Hyderabad.
The cost of setting up the infrastructure is a bit on the higher side. I believe it require loads of pipings to distribute the gas under high pressure and more over a majority of demand would be from cab operators who would ply within the city.

I believe that a normal customer would be hesitant to invest the extra sum to convert the petrol engine into a bifuel one as availability of CNG/LPG station limited. May be ones closer to the refuelling station wouldn't mind investing on bifuel.

Its like a never ending circle, authorities require a certain demand for the project(investments) to be feasible and people want the infrastructure to make decisions.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm guessing this statistic is only Delhi. Over the years NCR has grown a lot like Gurgaon and Noida. The usage might have increased there but reduced in proper Delhi is my guess.
This seems to be the major reason for reducing demand (if the stats are actually stating the fact..).

Also, a reduction in petrol consumption is still somewhat acceptable owing to a shift in favor of Diesel & CNG, but for Diesel it is very hard to digest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks