Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2006, 07:09   #1
BANNED

Why Mitsubishi Voyager failed ?

I've some doubt whether the correct name is Mitsubishi/Mahindra Voyager or something else !! But that utility vehicle resembled almost like Omni with rectangular headlights and with central sliding doors combined with a diesel engine. But in the looks department, Omni was miles ahead.

What I know is that the vehicle was an utter flop (don't know why?) and I personally don't know anyone who owns that vehicle. That's why I'm posting here to know more about that vehicle. The vehicle came into my mind when I spotted it in a movie on the TV.

So T-BHP-ians please shed some light about this vehicle......
Old 17th June 2006, 08:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

My uncle had one. It was called Mahindra voyager. Here's in tech info
Mahindra Voyager
The piece he had worked like a charm, no maintainace issues etc., but the the general consesus was low quality, high price. It was a glorified Omni with a diesel engine. The Qualis/Sumo category vehicles got better response than this one.
Old 17th June 2006, 16:02   #3
BHPian

From what one of my relatives told me (he had bought one just when it was launched), though the car looked good (I liked its shape too!), after just 1 year it started to run like a 10 year old car! He sold it.

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 17th June 2006, 16:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
From what one of my relatives told me (he had bought one just when it was launched), though the car looked good (I liked its shape too!), after just 1 year it started to run like a 10 year old car! He sold it.
I too have similar feedback from a couple of people about the car. The 2.5L diesel engine was the culprit. Few people didn't like the shape either or at least at the price it was being offered. Maybe some might found it heavy for city traffic too.

I well remember the ads of Mahindra Voyager on TV, if I were in position of buying one, I could have bought it then. I liked it.
Old 17th June 2006, 16:29   #5
BHPian

i feel that the reason why the voyager failed becoz of mahindra. mahindra was never firm on its placing in the market. initially mahindra wanted to position it as a large family vehicle (evident from its initial ad campaigns), then relaunced it a billion times (with a DI engine) with various price revisions and it started in the commercial vehicles. DHL logistics runs a fleet of them, but now are slowly getting replaced by omnis/versas. Apart from the voyager's huge maintenance costs and poor quality, the general indian perception of associating a van/mpv with a commercial vehicle/ambulance added fuel 2 the fire of voyager's failure. Mitsubishi Voyagers are seen in decent nos. in other countries.
Old 17th June 2006, 17:18   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Past = Mahindra Voyager. Recent Past = Maruti Versa. Present = Premier Sigma.

The failure of all these cars in the Indian market was due to the fact that these were totally outdated boxy vehicles. Too boxy even as a family vehicle. Anyone would rather buy a Tempo Traveller rather than the Voyager or Versa. The Voyager would have been been a hit if it had better looks and a decent Mitsubishi diesel engine. The best thing was that it had a very good seating arrangement which could 9 people comfortably + luggages.
Old 17th June 2006, 19:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Another reason it failed was because of it's high asking price and lack of features.
It was selling for 5L and didn't even come with a.c. (correct me if i am wrong)
Cheers
Old 17th June 2006, 19:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I feel that the reasons for failure are
1) Too highly priced, initially.
2) Outdated looks.
3) Very expensive parts.
The AC (Yes an ac version was available) was not very efficient and the engine, the same XD3P engine as on the bolero, was quite intrusive due to the poor insulation.
As far as my information goes, it was never launched with a DI engine.
Old 18th June 2006, 22:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
It was selling for 5L and didn't even come with a.c. (correct me if i am wrong)
Yes, the standard version didn't come with AC, however there was an AC version too, of course for higher price
Old 19th February 2009, 00:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
i feel that the reason why the voyager failed becoz of mahindra. mahindra was never firm on its placing in the market. initially mahindra wanted to position it as a large family vehicle (evident from its initial ad campaigns), then relaunced it a billion times (with a DI engine) with various price revisions and it started in the commercial vehicles. DHL logistics runs a fleet of them, but now are slowly getting replaced by omnis/versas. Apart from the voyager's huge maintenance costs and poor quality, the general indian perception of associating a van/mpv with a commercial vehicle/ambulance added fuel 2 the fire of voyager's failure. Mitsubishi Voyagers are seen in decent nos. in other countries.
I definitely agree with this answer. I liked the Voyager since it was huge and looked apparantly strong. I was definitely a better vehicle than the OMNI. If OMNI could sell like hot cakes the Voyager had more potential. Just too high a price and Mahindra's lack of proper marketing killed it.
sabret00the is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2009, 01:10   #11
BHPian

My cousins got one and hes stuck with it.clocked around 165k km.Had an engine build once some years back due to negligence from my cousins part.
I have driven this car alone multiple time from Chennai to trichur , Chennai to Pondicherry.The amount of torque it had was phenomenal.The car was happy cruising all day in third gear, even on a slope.It would max out at 130 Kph.I wouldnt call the engine very crude and it had decent insulation but did find the front can heat up on trips more than 3 hours long.Diesel Average was also not bad for it.
He has the first car in trichur and my guess is this will still be the last one in town.Issues being faced now are the lack of parts like tail lamp and head lamps etc etc.He has replaced the front square headlamps to twin round lamps.Last when i saw it a year back there was rust formation on the body :-(
Old 19th February 2009, 01:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had one. Red color. it climbed the pankhabari road (darjeeling visitors know this) with 7 people and luggage with ease. Looks was bad, but very practical vehicle

Simple addon parts were not even available with mahindra, like coolant resovour, I had to improvise one myself. As always shoddy service and support from Mahindra.
I had to, once file a suit with Ravi Auto, Siliguri from where it was bought.

Was sold to a friend from Kalimpong.
Old 19th February 2009, 01:20   #13

Ahh. One of my Favourite vehicles of all times. I have travelled extensively in one, and it was by far, the most comfortable and spacious car I have ever been in. Brilliant drive and the most astonishing turning radius.
Old 19th February 2009, 01:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Come on folks. Its a 3-year old thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks