Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively

Link to News Section

Maruti Suzuki is readying up replacements of its popular B+ segment hatchbacks, the Ritz and the Swift. The next-generation version of the Ritz hatchback is said to be launched in 2015 while the next-gen Swift will come in 2017. The Ritz, which is also known as the Suzuki Splash in international markets, features a tall-boy design and is made its debut in India during mid-2009. The Ritz also saw a mid-life facelift last year. Therefore, the next-generation version of the Ritz will come 6 years after the launch of the first-generation version. The facelifted Ritz is likely to use the current (2nd gen) Swift's platform, which is a lengthened version of the older platform.

Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively-first-gen-maruti-suzuki-ritz.jpeg

Note: Images of Maruti Swift and Ritz used in this report are illustrative in nature.

Although the Ritz's tall-boy design is deemed more practical for a larger swathe of car buyers, the more illustrious selling Swift has overshadowed the Ritz in the Indian car market. The first/current-gen Ritz, based on a shortened Swift platform, is available with two engine options: a 1.2 liter K-Series petrol motor and a 1.3 liter Fiat Multijet diesel motor. A 5 speed manual gearbox and a 4 speed automatic gearbox are the two transmission options that the Ritz Petrol features, even as the diesel engined variants make do with the 5 speed manual gearbox.

Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively-2nd-gen-maruti-suzuki-swift.jpg

The Maruti Suzuki Swift is India's best selling B+ segment hatchback. The next-generation Swift is slated to arrive here in 2017 and will represent the third generation model of the car. The first generation version of the Swift, launched in India during 2005, motored on until 2011, when Maruti Suzuki launched the 2nd generation version that is a larger car than the outgoing model. The third generation model is likely to be a further increment in terms of size and features on offer. The Swift sold in India is available with petrol and turbo diesel engine options. A 5 speed manual gearbox is standard on the car.

While the next-generation model of the Swift will arrive only in 2017, Maruti Suzuki is likely to facelift the car next year. The facelifted model of the Swift has already gone on sale internationally, and features cruise control, push button start, keyless entry and other minor tweaks. Expect a few of these tweaks to be offered on the India-spec Swift facelift as well. The next-generation models of both the Ritz and the Swift are expected to use Suzuki's new range of turbo diesel engines, eschewing the 1.3 liter Fiat Multijet turbo diesel engine in the process.

Source FinancialExpress

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 23rd October 2013 at 12:00. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively

About time, I say! The Ritz is based on the old Swift platform and is getting much too long in the tooth. That ugly rear end is still a put-off, it hasn't grown on anyone. The new Swift has a better ride & handling balance and should be safer too (considering the platform's modernity). The Ritz' recent facelift hasn't improved sales, perhaps sending off a warning signal within Maruti.

2016 - 17 sounds about right for the next generation of the Swift. Question is : Will it be evolutionary like the 2nd gen, or revolutionary?
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
About time, I say! The Ritz is based on the old Swift platform and is getting much too long in the tooth. That ugly rear end is still a put-off, it hasn't grown on anyone. The new Swift has a better ride & handling balance and should be safer too (considering the platform's modernity). The Ritz' recent facelift hasn't improved sales, perhaps sending off a warning signal within Maruti.

2016 - 17 sounds about right for the next generation of the Swift. Question is : Will it be evolutionary like the 2nd gen, or revolutionary?
I am sure Maruti will stand behind Ritz and see what they can really do (literally) It is a far more practical car than Swift.

I wish Maruti does something like an i10 Grand sort of thing to the next gen Swift and Ritz with the interiors. I just loved the interiors of i10.
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:48   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti should try to rush in the Next Gen Ritz by 2014 itself, though need be in no hurry for the Swift and a 2015 Facelift should be just fine. 2015 for the Ritz would be a lost opportunity. Frankly I wouldn't blame Maruti alone for the Ritz relative lack of success in India, if the Wagon R can sell in the numbers it does, then the Ritz is a better proposition in everyway. Infact when it came in the interiors were a significant step up over the previous gen Swift though now the New Swift is a bit ahead or on par in that aspect.
Old 23rd October 2013, 21:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

2015 launch date is bit late as suggested by fellow Bhpians, but there could be a reason for the delay as Opel Agila is also due for revamp. Even there are some renderings floating around.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/149210.jpg

Last edited by agspins : 23rd October 2013 at 21:55.
Old 24th October 2013, 08:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, MSIL is not giving the Ritz the attention it deserves. 2015 feels a little late. The current generation Swift came in 2010. Why wait for 5 long years to launch the new Splash/ Ritz? I think the current one took less than 4 years to be launched after the Swift debuted in 2004.

Maybe Suzuki/ MSIL is concentrating on the XA Alpha.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

MSIL should look at a design that can accommodate a hatch/CS for new Ritz and plan on getting the Swift back to where it should really belong - direct competition to i20/Punto/Jazz.

With more well-proportioned CS versions coming out from competition and since Swift is likely to get longer in its next iteration, they'll have to eventually switch their CS model to be based on a shorter hatch soon. The long nose of Swift is the biggest constraint for Maruti to design a good CS out of it. The length of Ritz makes it an ideal candidate for a better proportioned CS, if they move away from the tall-boy design.
Old 24th October 2013, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

With rumors of i10 Grand sedan and competition from Amaze (not very stiff though), i guess Maruti should seriously think of making Ritz compact sedan. It will look much better than Hatch for sure if designed properly. With some modification in interiors, i guess it can be a hot car in the market with great engines like K-series 1.2 and famous 1.3 M-jet. It will take off some load from Dzire as well. What say Maruti?? Are you listening??
Old 26th October 2013, 13:58   #9
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2013 at 15:38.
appu.bhandari is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2015, 11:49   #10
BANNED

Source: http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...ft-127206.html

"As part of fresh upgrades the vehicle shall receive a new front fascia with a new grille, headlamps and bumpers. Moreover, the vehicle is also likely to sport new alloy wheels, new seat upholstery, new infotainment system, etc."

Is anyone from Maruti ever listening to the prospective customers in this segment? Or, are Maruti's designers keeping their best designs in their own mind for their dream companies of their future? Why they need to make more and more changes to the front / interiors / features of Ritz when its rear and egg-shaped body is the real culprit? I suggest Maruti to completely revamp the body shell of current Ritz except the front and dashboard (which are very good looking, IMO), and make it a wider Wagon-R if you don't have too much of ideas on how to do it. A wider and more planted-looking WR with the K12 and D13 engines will be a much better seller than the current Ritz.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th February 2015 at 11:58.
Old 4th February 2015, 16:55   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
...make it a wider Wagon-R
Even a flat-roofed Ritz will be much better looking than the current one, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively-suzukisplash12_o1.jpg  

Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively-suzukisplash12_5.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th February 2015 at 17:17.
Old 9th February 2015, 00:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
IMO I don't think a flat footed Ritz will look that good - for a brief and with that shade of blue - the flat Ritz would look like a Nissan Evalia. A shorter height Ritz would actually make it look better, perhaps like a typical Peugeot or Renault hatchback. I think its time MS phase it out like they promptly did so with the A Star and Estilo duds.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively-nissanevaliaside.jpg  

ciddharth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 00:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
I can see a 'Swift' in that flat-head design picture.

Hopefully the design in the newer Ritz is better than the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
I think its time MS phase it out like they promptly did so with the A Star and Estilo duds.
What makes you say that the Ritz is a market dud? It is selling around 3.5-4K units a month with no marketing effort. Why will MS kill a chicken that's laying eggs without any great investment over it.

All it needs is some kind of design change at the rear. Front and sides are perfect!
Old 9th February 2015, 01:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Hopefully the design in the newer Ritz is better than the current one.

What makes you say that the Ritz is a market dud? It is selling around 3.5-4K units a month with no marketing effort. Why will MS kill a chicken that's laying eggs without any great investment over it.

All it needs is some kind of design change at the rear. Front and sides are perfect!
I agree. I do like the Ritz and it is a well rounded car. Considering it is an aging though well engineered product and if it sells decently (maybe a little lower than the much newer Celerio) then Maruti must not phase it yet until the next generation. I only wish MS does retain some interesting styling elements and not play it too safe like the Celerio or have much cost cutting. Hopefully they should only reduce the height and change the rear but maybe I am wishing too much.
Old 10th February 2015, 14:13   #15
BANNED

Quote:
IMO I don't think a flat footed Ritz will look that good - for a brief and with that shade of blue - the flat Ritz would look like a Nissan Evalia.
Yes, but it will be far better than the current one, IMO.

Quote:
I think its time MS phase it out like they promptly did so with the A Star and Estilo duds.
A-Star and Estilo sold less than 1K when they were discontinued. But Ritz still sells around 4K, a number that is still unattainable by many other manufacturers combining their total sales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My experiment with the Ritz continues; here's another take.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Next-gen Maruti Ritz and Swift coming in 2015 and 2017 respectively-suzukisplash12_10.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th February 2015 at 14:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks