Team-BHP - Compact sedan? No thank you!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Compact sedan? No thank you! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/143528-compact-sedan-no-thank-you-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibbs (Post 3291221)
Isn't it because of the additional value we attach to the three box shape?

This is true in most cases, if practicality was the most important factor in our market, station wagons would have outsold sedans in our market!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibbs (Post 3291221)
But the question that many here are trying to prodd is that, isn't the runaway success of these cars attributed more to the shape than the practicality.

Compact sedans do not have much practicality in most cases - if the length of the boot is only as much as a laptop bag, you surely cannot manage to fit any suitcases back there. It is better suited for the city when you want to store your shopping bags in the rear but there is little else you can do with the boot space.

A station-wagon would have more boot space but the additional luggage would block rear visibility, and with side view mirrors lasting less than a few hours into the start of the trip (had my side mirrors replaced twice; they didn't even last the drive back home from the car accessories store because of other vehicles ramming into them) a full-length sedan is a better choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_nitin_r (Post 3293685)
Compact sedans do not have much practicality in most cases - if the length of the boot is only as much as a laptop bag, you surely cannot manage to fit any suitcases back there. It is better suited for the city when you want to store your shopping bags in the rear but there is little else you can do with the boot space.

A station-wagon would have more boot space but the additional luggage would block rear visibility, and with side view mirrors lasting less than a few hours into the start of the trip (had my side mirrors replaced twice; they didn't even last the drive back home from the car accessories store because of other vehicles ramming into them) a full-length sedan is a better choice.

Have you had an opportunity to check out the Amaze? It's an amazing package in my opinion. The interior and boot space will put some full sized sedans to shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_nitin_r (Post 3293685)

The Amaze has a fairly useful boot and so does the Sail sedan. The Dzire and the botchback (:D) Verito Vibe aren't known to be luggage-haulers though. Some hatchbacks like the Jazz and Figo are better! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 3293677)
Now its VW's turn?
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-364086.aspx/0

Hope they get the proportions right and not just concentrate on the 4m factor.

With 3970mm length for the hatch, I am wondering why would they make a Dzire out of a Polo, which is one of the most elegant hatches in India. IMO they should first bring the Up! in India & work on its variants, body shapes rather than Polo, which has little scope (unless they manage to pull out the bunny from their hat).

There is an interesting variant for the Euro Rapid, the station-wagon, which looks classy (though it is also bigger than 4m length). If VW can have something similar under 4m for the Polo or probably rear design similar to EcoSport (wrap around glass area), that could give the car a distinct identity, I bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP (Post 3293938)
With 3970mm length for the hatch, I am wondering why would they make a Dzire out of a Polo, which is one of the most elegant hatches in India. IMO they should first bring the Up! in India & work on its variants, body shapes rather than Polo, which has little scope (unless they manage to pull out the bunny from their hat).

VW normally does not mess up on the design aspects, and I read around that the NFS platform (which the Up is based on) is quite flexible. But the question is do they really need something below the Vento. I would say they should look at the space below the Polo, and think about bringing in the Up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP
There is an interesting variant for the Euro Rapid, the station-wagon, which looks classy (though it is also bigger than 4m length). If VW can have something similar under 4m for the Polo or probably rear design similar to EcoSport (wrap around glass area), that could give the car a distinct identity, I bet.

The Rapid Spaceback does look cool, but I don’t think they can achieve any kind of price advantage with such an option. Frankly, I think our auto industry will get much better if this 4m rule is taken off.

Mods. Can you please add a poll to the thread. This will give an idea of how many actually think that a CS is a VFM proposition compared to their hatchback counterparts.

Hope they will finalize the design based on UP! I can not imagine a boot attached Polo or a boot chopped Vento. I saw a rendering of the latter and it's a nightmare. I know it is just another rendering. If they are able to design a compact sedan on UP! platform, they will be able to keep all proportions very well. Something like Honda Amaze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTorque (Post 3294832)
I can not imagine a boot attached Polo or a boot chopped Vento.

Volkswagen Polo sedans do exist - a remember seeing it on Google Images a while back. It does not look awkward; I'm not sure if it is 4m though. If they have to chop the rear to fit it into the 4m tax bracket. The Volkswagen Up has a reduced front to increase the interior room; think of the Tata Nano and you'll know what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_nitin_r (Post 3295223)
Volkswagen Polo sedans do exist - a remember seeing it on Google Images a while back.

What is sold as Polo sedan in other markets (e.g. Malaysia) is indeed the Vento.

Amaze might be a good car, BUT, i think it is quite sad that people feel that a built-for-a-price amaze is more aspirational than the jazz which was a much more quality product and a lot more practical.

People felt that at 6L the jazz was too expensive, but are ready to pay more than that for a down-market 3 box compact sedan with weird looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 3295398)
Amaze might be a good car, BUT, i think it is quite sad that people feel that a built-for-a-price amaze is more aspirational than the jazz which was a much more quality product and a lot more practical.

People felt that at 6L the jazz was too expensive, but are ready to pay more than that for a down-market 3 box compact sedan with weird looks.

Well said. Our market is unique, perhaps that's why we get unique products such as amaze, dzire, etios, quanto etc... Bad on design, but built for our market. These products aren't sold elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 3295398)

Jazz was a great car at a wrong time. Remember Corsa Sail? Beautiful premium hatch, wrong time. I expect Jazz in 2014 to be a big hit; hopefully with performance tuned engines; 7-8 lakhs range. Will beat i20 hands down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3295554)
Jazz was a great car at a wrong time. Remember Corsa Sail? Beautiful premium hatch, wrong time. I expect Jazz in 2014 to be a big hit; hopefully with performance tuned engines; 7-8 lakhs range. Will beat i20 hands down.

Maybe. But it will never beat the Amaze. That is the "beauty" of the Indian customer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3295554)

The Jazz is such a car that neither does it need a test drive nor a boot space check. The toughest decision is the colour. Come 2014 and I will immediately replace my 2009 jazz with the new one. Minus the climate control and alloy wheels, I am the Happiest owner ever!