Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 21:47   #1
BHPian

Grand i10 Diesel AT - End of a long wait?

Guys who wanted the convenience of an AT but vary of the rising petrol costs have a reason to cheer at last. If carwale is to be believed, a diesel AT inside the hood of Grand i10 is on the anvil along with the petrol AT. But the same old 4 speed box may be a bummer. Here's the full news.

http://www.carwale.com/news/11429-hy...ched-soon.html

Quote:
The Hyundai Grand i10 has been making ripples since it launched on September 3; first for being the smallest diesel to be sold in the country and then for getting 10, 000 bookings within 20 days of being launched. It is expected to take up another important and till date unoccupied seat in the Indian Lok Sabha of motoring; a diesel automatic sub Rs 10 lakh vehicle.
The Hyundai Grand i0 diesel will be powered by the 1.1-litre oil burner which produces 70bhp and 160Nm of torque. The engine will make use of the same four-speed automatic gearbox that is used in the AT diesel version of the Verna sedan.
BS Motoring, who have broken the news, say that the diesel AT version of the Grand i10 has been tuned to have a flat torque delivery and gear ratios that will suit the delivery. However, this is still speculation and is something we can only confirm when the car is unveiled and test driven by us.
Much like the AT options that were offered with the previous generation i10, we expect that this option will only be available in the Asta variant and will be priced below Rs 8 lakh. The existence of the diesel AT variant also means that the petrol AT version of the Grand i0 will be launched at the same time as well. Ideally such a move is also expected to make the competition start offering the same in their line-up very soon.
drpudhi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 22:08   #2
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Grand i10 Diesel AT - End of a long wait?

If true, then this is a very welcome news! Hyundai can utilise the first mover advantage to the maximum. The sub-1 million rupee Grand i10 CRDi AT should sell like hot cakes till the competition too wakes up and smells the coffee.

If the gearbox is going to be same as the one used in the Verna CRDi, then they could also use it on the i20 CRDi. That would be another sales success! Unlike the 1.4 lit. Gamma petrol AT being sold now, the 1.4 lit. U2 diesel AT would be eligible for the lower excise slab and therefore should be priced reasonably. The slow selling petrol AT could even be replaced by the diesel AT in the same price range.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 22:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Boy o' boy! Am I dreaming? Somebody tell me I am not. This is indeed the greatest feat achieved in automotive history of India. Like re-inventing the wheel. I had started a thread back in 2007 on diesel AT hatch. I lamented absence of one badly. I waited and waited and waited and eventually bought A-Star AT. It's very good and frugal and reliable and very very cheap to maintain. Nothing can go wrong with this tiny car. But the only grouse is it is petrol.

I always thoguht it would be Tata who would take this plunge with diesel hatch and AT combo. That didn't happen. Then I thought it would be MUL. But people were so crazy about Swift from 2007 through 2011 that MUL could have sold 'em with engine as accessory and they would have still bought. Where is the question of AT then? But since, Swift sales are not as hot as they once were, I'm sure MUL will explore this avenue, too (not to be left behind). Anyway, nice to know Hyundai is showing them the way.

Now coming to i10, I wouldn't mind paying close to 10L for a diesel AT hatch with push button start, electric adjust and fold ORVMs, ACC and rear wash/wipe. I hope they do not remove any of these features just because they are providing comfort of AT box. Urban India crawl is worsening by the day and only sensible way to move around is in a tiny hatch. Ask me, two years of driving A-Star in city crawl just puts smile on my face. And not to mention the convenience of AT. I wouldn't buy an MT even if it returns 10 times FE of an AT. Incidentally some modern ATs fare better than their MT version on FE front. AT diesel hatch is the need of the hour. Our pockets may be deeper (to buy bigger cars) but our roads are not wider.
pgsagar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 23:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Now coming to i10, I wouldn't mind paying close to 10L for a diesel AT hatch with push button start, electric adjust and fold ORVMs, ACC and rear wash/wipe. I hope they do not remove any of these features just because they are providing comfort of AT box.
On the contrary, I would rather have an auto without the bells and whistles - maybe on the lower / mid variants. This would keep the costs down, and give Hyundai the numbers it is looking at.
Eddy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 23:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On the contrary, I would rather have an auto without the bells and whistles - maybe on the lower / mid variants. This would keep the costs down, and give Hyundai the numbers it is looking at.
What I meant was I wouldn't mind. Without bells and whistles is welcome, too. But they generally provide AT on top variants. Like they did on Verna which is close to 14L, I wouldn't mind picking loaded i10 D AT for close to 10L.

Last edited by GTO : 29th October 2013 at 13:43. Reason: Typo
Old 29th October 2013, 00:13   #6
BHPian

I10 diesel AT hatch could revolutionize automatics in India especially if they provide AT in lover variants as well.
If its available only on top variants people will find their breakeven point further compared to petrol AT's and settle for the later or go with the stick shift (but then this option could be more profitable and manageable for Hyundai though)
y448 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 01:24   #7
BHPian

Wow, this is great news and hope it becomes reality soon. But I still don't understand why Hyundai didn't launch the petrol AT right from the beginning.

If indeed they are planning to bring the diesel AT grand i10, then why not make an official announcement, I'm sure a lot of people would postpone their purchase plans and wait for it.
Old 29th October 2013, 01:30   #8
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 29th October 2013 at 13:45.
Visran is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th October 2013, 07:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This is great news.

Hope Grand i10 Diesel AT will be available from mid variants on with ABS. That could open the flood gates. If its Asta alone, the car will be out of reach for many. There are many petrol ATs which are substantially cheaper.

I often wonder why manufacturers still cannot separate essential features like safety kits or an AT box with high end features. For instance, I would love to own a Grand i10 Diesel AT Magna variant with ABS.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO, when the differential between Petrol & Diesel sales is reducing by the day, if the Grand i10 Diesel is priced ~10 Lakhs, then theres no point.

C'mon who'd pay a million bucks for an i10 D when the canny Petrol AT's in Brio & Amaze are available for much less!

IMO the price differential doesn't justify a 10L Pricing. Anything post 7.5L is an overkill.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 29th October 2013 at 09:21.
GrammarNazi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:38   #11
BANNED

Good. It should trigger others. Can the Amaze Diesel AT be far behind?
Old 29th October 2013, 09:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
C'mon who'd pay a million bucks for an i10 D when the canny Petrol AT's in Brio & Amaze are available for much less!

IMO the price differential doesn't justify a 10L Pricing. Anything post 7.5L is an overkill.
I could not agree more with your statement!

Of course, anything more than 7.5 would be pushing it. Like you said, fuel differentials will not make too much difference to a car being used less than 1K kms a month in the city.
And it is not as if the Grand AT will be any great fun on the highways.

Moreoever, if one really wants a diesel AT, just take a look at the used car market. There are decent options for around a million bucks, as you put it

And what is with that ad for Grand with all those animals. It is downright silly, even for 10 year olds.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:53   #13
BHPian

While this is amazing news for the comfort oriented-yet running cost conscious buyer, I have my doubts on the i10 Grand Diesel AT being priced low, or even within the reach of the average car-buyer.

The top end Grand i10 diesel costs nearly 7.5 on road in Chennai. Even if Hyundai were to launch a mid-range Grand i10, with an AT, I don't see it being priced less than 8 or so.
The 4 speed AT, in case Hyundai do decide on that, should suffice in the city limits. The 1.1L diesel has mediocre highway performance at best, anyway.

Looking forward to an early launch!
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:59   #14
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IMO, when the differential between Petrol & Diesel sales is reducing by the day, if the Grand i10 Diesel is priced ~10 Lakhs, then theres no point.

There is no way Hyundai are going to price the Grand i10 diesel AT at ~ 1 million rupees.

The Asta(O) variant of the Grand i10 CRDi currently costs ~ Rs. 6.55 lacs, ex-showroom Chennai. Even if they charge a 75k rupee premium (which is what they do for the Verna CRDi AT over the 6-speed manual as opposed to the 5-speed manual on the Grand i10 CRDi), the ex-showroom price comes to 7.3 or 7.5 lac rupees maximum. The on-road price is not going to exceed Rs. 9 lacs in even the states with the most road taxes and cities that charge octroi/LBT.

The on-road prices will range from 8 lacs to less than 9 lacs, depending on the state and city. This is for the Asta(O) variant. Lower variants would obviously be cheaper.

Last edited by RSR : 29th October 2013 at 10:28.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I could not agree more with your statement!

Of course, anything more than 7.5 would be pushing it. Like you said, fuel differentials will not make too much difference to a car being used less than 1K kms a month in the city.
And it is not as if the Grand AT will be any great fun on the highways.

Moreoever, if one really wants a diesel AT, just take a look at the used car market. There are decent options for around a million bucks, as you put it

And what is with that ad for Grand with all those animals. It is downright silly, even for 10 year olds.
I do 35kms one way trips to work through traffic. Viman nagar to hinjewadi and i can tell you that for those 70kms of madness, i'm willing to bet my money on this car. I wont talk about 10lacs as the price point but would rather talk about how much premium does Hyundai charge over the manual Asta crdi. If they ask me a lakh more for the AT box, i will wait until they wake up n smell the roses.

Or like Eddy said above, they better start providing the AT box right from Magna trims. Works for all of us and Hyundai will see them fly off the shelves!

But a decent diesel AT hatch has been long long overdue!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks