Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 04:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour - Duster to get an automatic transmission in 2015

Mod Note: Our Duster Facelift & AMT Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Motoroids is reporting that the Russian subsidiary of French Car Renault has revealed to the local media that the Renault Duster in four wheel drive (4WD) version would be launched with an automatic transmission in 2015.

Since Renault has production facilities in Romania, India and Russia- the assumption is that, it’s highly unlikely that the new version would be restricted to Russian markets only. Hence it won’t be surprising to see the popular Duster making it to the Indian shores sporting a new transmission.

Though no details have been made available at present, but the new Duster might get a six speed Efficient Dual Clutch (EDC) that Renault claims to deliver better standard of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions compared to conventional automatic transmissions with fuel efficiency bettered by as much as 17 percent.

Source: http://www.motoroids.com/news/renaul...-gearbox-2015/

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2016 at 15:29. Reason: Linking to report :)
sarathlal is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 10:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour - Duster to get an automatic transmission in 2015

Renault Duster Getting AWD Version with Automatic Gearbox in 2014 - For Russia!

The company has mentioned that the new variant is developed specifically for Russia, but speculated to trickle into other markets including India. Not yet clear on which transmision is being evaluated?.

Quote:
If it's the 1.2-liter (in Eu), then it's likely going to get the new EDC twin-clutch, but if it's any other model, the classic automatic used by the Megane is far more likely.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/re...014-69926.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 10:28   #3
BHPian

2014 and 2015? Why are the car makers so hesitant to push automatic transmissions in heavy traffic countries like ours? It is such an immense convenience for city commutes. A Duster type vehicle with automatic would be ideal for Bombay city commutes. Big enough to make auto rickshaw and bikers hesitate before blindly cutting lanes, small enough to not give too many parking hassles, and the automatic would drastically reduce stop-go traffic frustration.
apurva512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 10:47   #4
BHPian

Yesterday night around 10 p.m. i have seen one white Duster with red color number plate driven very fast (in GST Road Chennai). It looks like the factory testing vehicle. I am not able to see much details, but in the back, above the 'Duster' chrome plate, the symbol looked like 'Dacia' than 'Renault'. But it is dark and i couldn't catch up to see closely to confirm.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Currently the price for the top diesel variant is over 12 lacs here. I guess AT plus AWD would take the price of the Duster close to the Innova higher variants' levels.
These additions would make it a versatile crossover and given its compact yet roomy dimensions I am sure there would be many takers for it even at the much higher price point.
Old 30th October 2013, 22:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour - Duster to get an automatic transmission in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Currently the price for the top diesel variant is over 12 lacs here. I guess AT plus AWD would take the price of the Duster close to the Innova higher variants' levels.
I don't think that matters. I mean if I want to buy Duster I would only look at Duster or its nearest rival like Ecosport. But not at anything bigger. Not even Safari and Scorpio which are SUV, even if they come at nearly same price. And certainly not Innova? That thing screams airport TAXI. I do not even consider it a car.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

An Automatic Gear box should not be a big issue for Renault, as they already have a diesel automatic power train in the Renault Megane
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...ane-15-dci-edc
http://www.renault.com/en/innovation...ssion-dct.aspx
I think that the engine is the same K9K engine that the Duster 110 has, and it is also one of the smallest engines successfully mated to a dual clutch gearbox.

If Renault does get it to India they can return to the days of long waiting list again.

Rahul
Old 12th December 2013, 10:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope they do NOT restrict the Auto transmission to the AWD model alone. Somehow does NOT make much sense to me. Auto transmission is for people who drive in traffic and why would they need an AWD which will add additional weight, complications and lesser FE which comes with the burden of additional investment too.

With this version (AWD + Auto), I think we are looking at another 2L+ to the already expensive top end Duster. Instead, they can offer Auto to atleast 1 variant each in 85 bhp / 110 bhp and also the AWD and also offer a manual transmission on the AWD model too. That would give it a variety of choices to the customers and a very good spread for the product.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 13:54   #9
BHPian

Here in the middle east, the AT version of the Duster comes without AWD or 4WD. The engine is 2L petrol, though!
Old 13th December 2013, 11:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Abes.
Renault sells the Duster in the middle east with a DP0*116 Autobox with a 2 Lit petrol engine, this is a torque converter (with lock) primary coupling mated to a autobox which is comparatively more efficient than the older torque converter autoboxes.

The Renault Megane has the same K9K diesel engine as the 110 Bhp duster in India and weighs about the same, so the entire transmission with correction in final reduction to compensate for the different wheel diameters in the two vehicles should be suitable for the duster. The Renault R&D people will have their work considerably reduced adapting it to our conditions.
The Renault dct gearbox used in the Megane is also a dual clutch gearbox. These types of gearboxes are known for their efficiency and will suit the Indian (kitna deti he) mindset.

Rahul
Old 13th December 2013, 16:39   #11
mxx
BHPian

expecting AT+AWD is wishful thinking. They currently manufacture AWD in India for export, yet there is no indication of any plans to sell it here. And why are we talking about AT+AWD? Renault will keep increasing the price for 2WD for increased margins and never bring the AWD, because people are buying the already over-priced 2WD in droves.
mxx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 11:58   #12
BHPian

Is it true that Renault is launching Duster Automatic with 1.2L Turbocharged engine?

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200371_1.html

I wonder how this news article claims that it has already been launched at the "ongoing" Auto Expo 2014 when it has not even started.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Any news on Duster/Terrano automatic front? Nearly 100 models of cars for sale and yet you are so strapped when you have to choose an automatic SUV in this country. Ecosport is AT but petrol and long wait. Next up is Endy/Pajero/Fortuner at 30 L O.R. In between there used to be a Scorpio AT which the good people at M&M decided to pull out. Hmmm.... The wait continues.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

A Diesel Duster with an Automatic like the EDC Dual clutch mentioned in the first post (Of course if its super reliable as a Fortuner's 5 speed) will cause a nuclear explosion in the market which will cause a lot of tears to the likes of other Manual SUV's. Great going Renault.
Old 26th November 2014, 16:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
A Diesel Duster with an Automatic like the EDC Dual clutch mentioned in the first post (Of course if its super reliable as a Fortuner's 5 speed) will cause a nuclear explosion in the market which will cause a lot of tears to the likes of other Manual SUV's. Great going Renault.
Yes it will cause explosion. But, IF AND WHEN, that happens. Sometimes I feel car manufacturers are pea-brained nuts who do not think of pioneering a concept, but will rush headlong into when the idea swells into a wave.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks