Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2007, 02:30   #406
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey MAn just wondering even after a ll those tata mishaps? are they really that good?just a question considering so many people take a liking to them and PGsingh while youre at it lets have a post on the how you came up with your names thread
Old 9th March 2007, 08:09   #407
BHPian

Well Nitroxx Safari has a huge following because it is the cheapest SUV and which most of us can afford. And the kind of road presence it has is amazing.
Old 9th March 2007, 09:57   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
PGsingh while youre at it lets have a post on the how you came up with your names thread
Its good that my name is generating some curiosity but may be I shall reveal it on the day of 2.2L dicor launch
I am again planning to go to A-ONE motors in Delhi tomorrow for a test drive. Any suggestion as to what all should I particularly pay attention to during the test drive?

regards
POGU
Old 9th March 2007, 17:29   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
Its good that my name is generating some curiosity but may be I shall reveal it on the day of 2.2L dicor launch
I am again planning to go to A-ONE motors in Delhi tomorrow for a test drive. Any suggestion as to what all should I particularly pay attention to during the test drive?

regards
POGU
I may catch up with you tomorrow as well if thats the A-ONE in Mayapuri. If not, Monday is gonna be the day for me.

Thanks to Suman - I would get to TD the beast on Monday (latest).

Guys, any particular questions/points that you need info on or want me/Pogu to pay special attention to, while we TD...please just drop a line here! Thanks.
Old 10th March 2007, 13:19   #410
BHPian

Friends
I saw an update saying the lot of DICORs made after 18 Jan ( Or 18 Feb ) is refined wrt common niggles and you can identify the same by having a look at some number. Do we have any new update on that?

Also, do we get tubeless tyres with DICOR?

regards
POGU
Old 11th March 2007, 22:41   #411
BHPian

discounts

I have finally made up my mind about going in for 3.o lit lx safari. can somebody tell me about the discounts (apart from finance discount) in delhi / gurgaon. dhingra motors said no dicount and waiting for 25 days
thanks
Old 11th March 2007, 23:52   #412
adc
Senior - BHPian

Dicor discounts

I am also planning to buy the 3.0 Dicor over here in Kolkata, here they say max discounts may be around 12K. and with finance may go up to 30K.

What figures are they giving for the finance discounts, would be helpful if you would please lay out their calculations.

Thanks
Old 12th March 2007, 11:49   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends
I saw an update saying the lot of DICORs made after 18 Jan ( Or 18 Feb ) is refined wrt common niggles and you can identify the same by having a look at some number. Do we have any new update on that?

Also, do we get tubeless tyres with DICOR?

regards
POGU

Just look for the manufacturing date- usually, it is stamped on the body just behind the driver's seat- dont know if this is true for the Dicor as well.

Make sure that your Dicor was manufactured after Feb 25th, 2007.

I had posted about the barrel no., but it turns out that the barrel no. is an internal classification for Tata motors, and a customer would have no way of ascertaining the barrel no. at the time of buying-unless of course you have sources deep inside tata motos
Old 13th March 2007, 10:55   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
meeting him at 1400hrs friday.will get max info out of him and post it here.
regards.
Doctorkats, we are waiting...
Old 14th March 2007, 23:43   #415
BHPian

Hi Friends
On this Saturday I had the royal honour of Test Driving the Safari Dicor. This is how the story goes
  • Called up A-ONE motors at around 2:00 PM to verify if they had dicor available for the test drive and also if they has all the models ( LX/EX/VX). The answer was in affirmative and they also told me to come before 5:00 PM as because of the rush on the road after 5:00 PM they dont allow any test drive
  • I left home at around 3:30 PM and reached A-One motors @ Mathura Road New Delhi at 4:00 PM. There were a lot of lovely dicors parked all around
  • I reached the front desk and told them that I wanted to test drive the dicor. Very promptly one gentleman was assigned to me and he took me to a pure white dicor VX standing nearby to show me the features
  • Vow guys what a big big beast. Anyway I starting inquiring of all the features that I anyway knew are there in Vx but not in Ex/Lx
  • Ok now guys the first impression
    • Vehicles is pretty big no 2 ways about it
    • Exterior :- Nice headlamps, paint quality looked good, although I cud see a gap between the door and the body even when the door is closed
    • Interior: Good seating comfort, An OK dash board but extremely poor plastic quality, plastic loosely hanging at some places
    • Rear 2 seats looking very impractical as head touches the roof if you sit
  • I was given a black dicor to test drive which was an LX. One turn of the key and the engine starts with a thud.... Not too much noise in the cabin to be fair
  • Finally I was on road, and because of my petrol car driving experience changing gear too much frequently, guided by the workshop guy to put 4th only after 60km/h.
  • No doubt in Safari you feel king on the road but I found clutch vry heavy. Lower gears( which are required in the city driving ) not too responsive
  • Yes at 3rd gear and above, the beast really fires and runs fast
Overall, I was not much impressed by the quality of interiors + heaviness of the clutch

Now for the next part, the salesman tells me and I quote "Sir hum to kahenge ki aap Lx hi lo, Vx lene ka koi faayda nahin ABS/Air Bag ka kya karenge, Lx aur Ex mein 1 Lakh ka farak hai, aap Lx le kar usmein Ex ke difference alag se agar dalwaayenge( which is Roof AC, central lock, fog lamps Rear defogger , music system) to aap ko 55000 tak hi padega

Lx Exshowroom 4*2 715505.23 + 33321 Road tax + 400 Number plate + 7200 extended warranty = 756426.23

He told me that to have leather seats you need to pay 10000 more and for body colored bumpers additional 20,000

So the initial stuff over, I finally came to the actual mudda, what about the 2.2L. He said and I quote "Sir hamein to pataa nahin, upar se jab aayega tabhie pata chalega. Abhi bhaiyaji nahin hain nahin to abhi baat karaa ke pata lagwaa deta"
I tried to grill him a lot bit no headway
He told me that they shall give me a call on Monday but no call has come as yet

regards
POGU
Old 15th March 2007, 08:58   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Now for the next part, the salesman tells me and I quote "Sir hum to kahenge ki aap Lx hi lo, Vx lene ka koi faayda nahin ABS/Air Bag ka kya karenge, Lx aur Ex mein 1 Lakh ka farak hai, aap Lx le kar usmein Ex ke difference alag se agar dalwaayenge( which is Roof AC, central lock, fog lamps Rear defogger , music system) to aap ko 55000 tak hi padega

So the initial stuff over, I finally came to the actual mudda, what about the 2.2L. He said and I quote "Sir hamein to pataa nahin, upar se jab aayega tabhie pata chalega. Abhi bhaiyaji nahin hain nahin to abhi baat karaa ke pata lagwaa deta"
POGU, my man, could you please translate some of the Hindi transliteration to English?. I really can't understand much of Hindi to begin with and the transliteration is even worse.
Old 15th March 2007, 09:18   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
POGU, my man, could you please translate some of the Hindi transliteration to English?. I really can't understand much of Hindi to begin with and the transliteration is even worse.
The salesman said : "Sir, we recommend that you go for the LX, no special advantages in the VX. What use do you have for ABS/airbags anyway. Price difference between LX and EX is Rs.1lakh, if you get the LX and add the EX features later (Roof AC, central lock, fog lamps, etc), you can get it done for Rs. 55,000.
As for Pogu's point about the 2.2L the salesman went : " I dont know, only when the word comes in from above that we will come to know. My big boss isnt here, or I would have talked to him right now".
Old 15th March 2007, 09:48   #418
BHPian

So Pogu, is your mind made up? Are you getting the beast? Which variant wil it be?
Old 15th March 2007, 11:19   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
So Pogu, is your mind made up? Are you getting the beast? Which variant wil it be?
SumitB,
To be frank, the following have been a bit of let down
  • Heavy Clutch
  • Quality of Plastics
  • Response in lower gears
I might be doing a lot of city driving and hence am not sure if this shall be a good choice based on the above. Regarding the plastic quality I am not very happy essentially because after spending 9L I would expect a more royal feel in the vehicle. No doubt space & comfort is incomparable.
I have not driven the scorpio as yet and hence thinking of TD the same this weekend.

Also I was wondering if Tata would change the gearbox also with the 2.2L dicor and hence might address the heavy clutch issue. Also I am anticipating improvement in interiors with 2.2L

Overall I am not getting inclined too much towards the current DICOR
but at the sametime waiting for 2.2 might also mean waiting for 6-8 months in order to make sure that any niggles that come with 2.2L get resolved in the first 6 months and hence I buy a 2.2L V2
No wonder I am confused
regards
POGU
Old 15th March 2007, 11:38   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be frank, the following have been a bit of let down
  • Heavy Clutch
  • Quality of Plastics
  • Response in lower gears
  • Heavy Clutch - is an issue with most Diesel vehicles except perhaps the cars with smaller engines. However, you probably felt this more on account of a jump from a Petrol car to a Diesel SUV. Dont expect the two to behave similarly.
  • Quality of Plastics - IS bad. There are no two ways about that.
  • Response in lower gears - A diesel SUV drives differently from a petrol hatch. The response in lower gears is good once you get used to the engine characteristics and change your driving style accordingly.
Quote:
No wonder I am confused
POGU
If you're confused, stay away. Never go for a vehicle that you're not convinced about. I think we have all mentioned before that a change from a Petrol hatch to a 2-tonne Diesel SUV is a drastic one. Its probably not the right time for you to go for one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed