Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2007, 11:58   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you're confused, stay away. Never go for a vehicle that you're not convinced about. I think we have all mentioned before that a change from a Petrol hatch to a 2-tonne Diesel SUV is a drastic one. Its probably not the right time for you to go for one.
Thanks for the feedback. I want to drive the scorpio also. If I find scorpio also to have the similar gear related issue, then it shall help me convince that I was getting bogged down mainly because of my transition from petrol to diesel vehicle
BTW, DoctorKats seems to have vanished somewhere and not updating us on the developments related to 2.2L.

Also having shared my experience, what is the opinion of this forum as to what is the right model to go for is it Lx/Ex or Vx? Also I think we can get two tone interior done externally. Can we also get the plastics changed/revamped to give the interior a new look. Any pointers to some shop around Delhi which does that?

regards
POGU
Old 15th March 2007, 12:00   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The salesman said :"... What use do you have for ABS/airbags anyway. ....".
Typical car salesman...
In that case why do we need an AC anyway? We could drive with all the windows open.
Old 15th March 2007, 13:18   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
From tha above post i can gather you are either in love with the Scorpio or Own one .... No Offence meant ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
BTW I am not a scorpio owner but yest I plan to buy a safari 2.2L and hence just wanted to explore if it was worth the wait
Quote:
I have not driven the scorpio as yet and hence thinking of TD the same this weekend.
Heh-heh, now why am I not surprised ?

But on a serious note, as Steeroid says, you should never go for a vehicle that you are not convinced about.....and heavy clutch - definitely heavy after a Maruti 800 I'd say
Old 15th March 2007, 13:20   #424
Senior - BHPian

My transition from Maruti 800DX/Maruti 1000 to Safari 4x4 was a smooth one and not drastic at all. The better view from a top perch and power steering along with excitement was too great to realise heavy clutch & sticky lower gears..

Well, now I find difficult to drive petrol cars or for that matter sedans as I tend to crane my neck to see the road ahead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you're confused, stay away. Never go for a vehicle that you're not convinced about. I think we have all mentioned before that a change from a Petrol hatch to a 2-tonne Diesel SUV is a drastic one. Its probably not the right time for you to go for one.
Old 15th March 2007, 14:20   #425
BHPian

Hi
I am also madly in love with this beast called Safari Dicor and as I understand this is not unnatural for this vehicle to have a heavy clutch. So I believe, other then the quality of plastics, other things look OK with the vehicle.
Any suggestion about upgradation of interiors?

Are there any websites with detail about 2.2L dicor as launched in other countries?

regards
POGU
Old 15th March 2007, 23:19   #426
BHPian

Today the salesman from Tata Motors called. Unfortunately I was in a meeting and told him to call tomorrow. He was telling me that I was on leave and hence could not call you in the earlier part of the week

Shall try to see if he has got some info from his <Bhaiya Ji> regarding 2.2L dicor

Regards
POGU
Old 16th March 2007, 00:29   #427
BHPian

Apparently M&M are due to launch a lighter 2.2 liter more powerful version of the Scorpio soon too, more to meet with new emission norms than anything else.

Has anyone else managed to test the new 2.2 DiCor Safari? What's the estimated on road price?
Old 16th March 2007, 06:12   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The salesman said : "Sir, we recommend that you go for the LX, no special advantages in the VX. What use do you have for ABS/airbags anyway. Price difference between LX and EX is Rs.1lakh, if you get the LX and add the EX features later (Roof AC, central lock, fog lamps, etc), you can get it done for Rs. 55,000.
As for Pogu's point about the 2.2L the salesman went : " I dont know, only when the word comes in from above that we will come to know. My big boss isnt here, or I would have talked to him right now".
Thanks a lot Sajo. Looks like all the Tata salesman are trying to push the base LX. May be the dealerships are getting more commission on this?

I personally would not recommend the VX to people who don't wear seat belts on a regular basis. One might survive a crash without seat belts when there is no airbag, but airbags without seatbelt use is a sure way of going to God's dinner table.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:11   #429
BHPian

Hi All
Today I finally got a call again from A-ONE motors sales person and he asked me about my decision to buy the DICOR. I told him that first you need to let me know the status of 2.2L , then only I shall be able to make my mind. Here is what he said and I quote " Sir, Maine bhaiya ji se baat ki thi, woh Safari mein hi deal karte hain aur unhe aagey ka pataa rahta hai, unkey anusar agley ek saal mein 2.2L nahin aayega, abhi to design aur test phase mein hai, manufacturing start tak nahin hua hai. Aur waise bhi jo abhi 3.0L engine hai woh zyaada badiya aur trouble free hai, us key liye wait karne se behtar hai ki aap 3.0 L lein"
I told him if that is the case, I would like a longer test drive where I can atleast drive the vehicle till 100 Km/h. He agreed and told me to let him know whenever I want to do that

Anyway, I am not sure if this is to be relied, Tata guys wont like to reveal the date anyway if its in near future as otherwise no one might buy the 3.0 L DICOR

Regards
POGU
Old 16th March 2007, 12:24   #430
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, DoctorKats seems to have vanished somewhere and not updating us on the developments related to 2.2L
regards
POGU
sorry team!
been away.work made me travel jaipur-bombay-hyd in 4 days.drop dead tired.shd have posted this earlier though.apologies.
pogu wont keep any info away from team bhp so dont get sarcy on me yet!
1.our chappie told me that the 2.2 shd be out mid may or a little earlier.apparently he doesn't seem impressed with it.he went on like an amazonian parakeet repeating what he told me on the phone prior that the clutch is way too heavy and the entire clutch assembly needs replacement every 5000km.
2.that they're doing some final rethinking about the pricing.(expect a hike)
3.gear shift ratios are drastically different from the 3.0
4.engine has way more power,much more responsive.says it promises a more zippy ride.
5.some changes to improve braking.
6.NVH as bad.
7.on asking about the plastics he tossed back his head and laughed.(it sounded as if it came from disgust rather than amusement.)
8.two new colours.

he asked me to consider the endy or the x trail(for which i may have to rob a nearby bank) or go back to my earlier choice of an innova.he also said if i must go for the dicor i should settle for the 3.0's trustworthiness(?) rather than the 2.2
i asked him how the 2.2 is doing abroad and he said its too early to comment.
i asked him for pics to which he shifted on his seat uneasily and said he'll try to send it over (though i think he had them with him).
by the way steeroid, i didnt need to mail tata for the test drive.the dealer in noida has promised me a spin on all variants this sunday.thanks!
Old 16th March 2007, 13:07   #431
Team-BHP Support

This thread was started on June 16 2006.
What was said is this
Quote:
is on the card's, I had a chanced encounter with the 140+ BHP DICOR Last week .... The Power is Awesome and the engine refinement is a sea change from what we have seen from Tata's till date. Can hardly hear the engine @ Idle .... Vibration Level's way Low than earlier Tata's ....

Changes Expected - New GearBox, New Engine, Climate Control, Few on Interior, Expected Launch Date (unconfirmed) - Dec 06 to 1st Quater 07.
So it has been tested for almost a year till now.
1st quarter 07 is almost over.
3.0 DICOR is selling much better now. Tata is making money off it.
So unless somebody comes out with a competing vehicle in the same price range, I doubt they have any inclination to kill a golden goose.
Sure the scorpio exists, but its much smaller than a safari and in legroom department even an indigo can embarrass it.
Looks like Tata will launch it only when the 3.0 sales start falling.

Quote:
i didnt need to mail tata for the test drive.the dealer in noida has promised me a spin on all variants this sunday
Was the dealer Automobile sterling by any chance. They are over eager to give test drives.
Make sure you don't give your cell no to them, they will hound you for a purchase if they think you are remotely interested.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th March 2007 at 13:09.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:53   #432
BHPian

Hi All
I see I have some pending queries which have still not been answered
  • Any list of what all should be looked when taking a test drive
  • What all revamp/facelift of the interiors( including plastics ) can be done and where. I shall love one with beige/creamish interios
  • Is it recommended to use tubeless tyres with Safari
  • Which version should one go for Lx/Ex/Vx?
  • Now last one for doctorkats, if 2.2 is really coming in May, how do I look at the product profile of Safari from TATAs point of view , is it going to be 3 models low end TCIC, middle 3.0 and highest one 2.2. 3 different engines for 3 different variants?
Regards
POGU
Old 16th March 2007, 15:17   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Was the dealer Automobile sterling by any chance. They are over eager to give test drives.
Make sure you don't give your cell no to them, they will hound you for a purchase if they think you are remotely interested.
you're right bro!auto sterling.
they never even bothered to send me the price list earlier let alone a test drive.had to bother steer for guidance.
but for some reason now the sales guy was almost frothing at the mouth in enthusiasm to allow me a drive.
i didnt give him a mobile no just my landline (which is as busy as ring road traffic.)
thanks!
Old 16th March 2007, 16:26   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All
I see I have some pending queries which have still not been answered
  • Any list of what all should be looked when taking a test drive
  • What all revamp/facelift of the interiors( including plastics ) can be done and where. I shall love one with beige/creamish interios
  • Is it recommended to use tubeless tyres with Safari
  • Which version should one go for Lx/Ex/Vx?
  • Now last one for doctorkats, if 2.2 is really coming in May, how do I look at the product profile of Safari from TATAs point of view , is it going to be 3 models low end TCIC, middle 3.0 and highest one 2.2. 3 different engines for 3 different variants?
Regards
POGU

1. Its a test drive vehicle.. It will have issues..
2. interiors come with grey plastic.. Sorry no beige / creme interiors.. I love the plastic with silver insets near A/C console.. It looks pretty classy..
3. Steer and Myself have upgraded the rubber to 255/65 16" tubeless. Its safer.. and has much better road grip and looks good too.
4. Lx/Ex/Vx ... Whats your budget.. the choice is yours..

Godfather
Old 16th March 2007, 17:22   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
6.NVH as bad.
First hand experience by one of our colleagues confirms that this is not the case. NVH levels are allegedly pretty impressive except for some intrusion during idle.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks