Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 11:07   #946
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds too good to be true! VKochar, did your source elaborate on retaining the 3.0 in the LX trim as a really VFM option?
Old 12th September 2007, 11:20   #947
Senior - BHPian

Yeah! it feels too good to be true (but want it to be true), provided they can come out with mouth watering pricing, although some increase is to be expected.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:23   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sounds too good to be true! VKochar, did your source elaborate on retaining the 3.0 in the LX trim as a really VFM option?
To be honest with you, I did not check this with him nor did he say anything about this. I keep bumping into this fella every now and then, I will certainly ask him about this. Will update here if I know anything more.

@ Samurai - Yes I know how this feels, I just hope this guy is correct !! He is a very reliable source. I am sure TATA has something up its sleeve. The best part I am excited about is the New Designed Wheel Cover - It is sure to enhance the SUV's Macho looks - I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:39   #949
Senior - BHPian

Well, let us hope they launch the brute and keep the pricing sensible. Though the period will be shradh period which is considered inauspicious, it also coincides with the the end of the first half of the financial year. This encourages a lot of corporate purchases as depreciation can be availed for the entire year.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:03   #950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
This encourages a lot of corporate purchases as depreciation can be availed for the entire year.
Actually this is what is really surprising. If they are launching in the last week of September, there is very little time for the corporates to assess the vehicle and procure before end of September. I am also aiming for purchasing via company, with this late launch I am bound to get only half year worth of depreciation.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:43   #951
Senior - BHPian

Pricing is the key for any market, but they are hardly giving any time for the corportaes to even think, if they launch it so late in the month, they should launch NOW to bag those corporate orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Well, let us hope they launch the brute and keep the pricing sensible. Though the period will be shradh period which is considered inauspicious, it also coincides with the the end of the first half of the financial year. This encourages a lot of corporate purchases as depreciation can be availed for the entire year.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:17   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually this is what is really surprising. If they are launching in the last week of September, there is very little time for the corporates to assess the vehicle and procure before end of September. I am also aiming for purchasing via company, with this late launch I am bound to get only half year worth of depreciation.
Guys, think the other way around.

If companies need a vehicle they are going to buy it irrespective of which model it is. So if they have to spend money buying a vehicle before September, they will go ahead with the purchase. Companies are different than individuals who will make their decisions based on the new models coming into market and will have sentiments attached to it. What I am trying to say here is that buying decisions by companies may not be a big influencing factor in TATA's marketing strategy and announcement of new Safari, so expect TATA to choose their own time.

Beyond this, I think Tata is doing a good move, they are trying to outdo their main competitor Scorpio by providing a good product. So expect some modifications on the exteriors too apart from the engine upgrade.

With Scorpio engine getting upgraded this battle is supposed to hot up in near future. I guess that 7-8 months down the line customers will start getting good offers and discounts if Scorpio turns out to be a equal contender.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:29   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The best part I am excited about is the New Designed Wheel Cover - It is sure to enhance the SUV's Macho looks
More than anything else now I am interested in this newly designed wheel cover You have mentioned it twice in your last 2 posts!
Old 12th September 2007, 17:52   #954
Senior - BHPian

just got a call from hyd's biggest tata dealer: concorde motors

the official launch date for hyd is : 25th sept 2007.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:53   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Price hike is not going to be much. Expect the new Tata Safari to be light years ahead of the old one.

This one will be much more refined and will be coming with a host of safety features ( Airbags, ABS standard across all models ). Also they feature a new Radically designed Wheel Cover ( enhances the look completely ).
Well, we do have 2 contrasting 'reliable source' info it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Latest news from the HYD dealers also is that it may be launched in between 25th of this month and the 1st week of Oct.
On the price front, he said that the price diff for say an EX trim for the 2.2 and the current 3.0 may be roughly 1 Lakh, which in my view is a bit steep. Will update once i get more data.
But if it is indeed true, then the extra features - safety, comfort and trim are a value addition to the 2.2 Tata truck.

I have to admit though. Never seen so much excitement over newly designed wheel covers!
Old 12th September 2007, 18:03   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Guys, think the other way around.

If companies need a vehicle they are going to buy it irrespective of which model it is. So if they have to spend money buying a vehicle before September, they will go ahead with the purchase. Companies are different than individuals who will make their decisions based on the new models coming into market and will have sentiments attached to it. What I am trying to say here is that buying decisions by companies may not be a big influencing factor in TATA's marketing strategy and announcement of new Safari, so expect TATA to choose their own time.

Beyond this, I think Tata is doing a good move, they are trying to outdo their main competitor Scorpio by providing a good product. So expect some modifications on the exteriors too apart from the engine upgrade.

With Scorpio engine getting upgraded this battle is supposed to hot up in near future. I guess that 7-8 months down the line customers will start getting good offers and discounts if Scorpio turns out to be a equal contender.
BTW, isn't scorpio engine way better than safari's DICOR?
At least I felt so.

I don't think DICOR 3.0 engine posed any competition to the current 2.6 liter scorpio engine....so I am afraid Scorpio 2.2 will be way better than DICOR 2.2 and that will be sad as I am not a Mahindra fan at all....
Old 12th September 2007, 18:06   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
More than anything else now I am interested in this newly designed wheel cover You have mentioned it twice in your last 2 posts!
Hehehe .. Welcome to the club pal

It might sound ridiculous but there you are - I am darn excited about it, even though it has nothing absolutely to do with the performance.
Old 12th September 2007, 18:35   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, isn't scorpio engine way better than safari's DICOR?
At least I felt so.

I don't think DICOR 3.0 engine posed any competition to the current 2.6 liter scorpio engine....so I am afraid Scorpio 2.2 will be way better than DICOR 2.2 and that will be sad as I am not a Mahindra fan at all....
The safari 3.0 comes into its own on the highway... its ridiculously tall geared which is given since the engine itself redlines at 3000 rpm with turbo surge coming only after 1500 rpm, hence 1500 rpm left to play with which is a very narrow powerband to play with considering modern day diesel engines. It isnt as bad as it sounds, although a pain in the city, the highways are safari's natural territory, with 100 kph coming in at around 1800 rpm!! (the power starts to come @ around 2000 rpm in modern day diesel while the truck is already upto 100 kph) there's plenty of grunt left to overtake and maintain speeds. With the turbo fully spooled up, engine operating at top torque rpm its a bliss, before I forget 140 kph comes at 2400 rpm!!! It can cruise at highspeeds all day without a fuss with just a flex of the right foot needed to overtake lesser mortals.
In city however its anentirely different story, making rapid progress would want lots of gear changes, 5th gear at anything below 70-80 kph and engine is a dead meat. Even then the 3rd and 4th gear are pretty good, although you wont get brisk progress if you put your foot down like in an Innova or a scorpio it will still keep up with the traffic. To make brisk progress you have to drop a gear so that rpm comes b/w 1500 - 2000.
Old 12th September 2007, 18:55   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There is no article, its based on information posted by Deepak here , which you must have read already.
What if this dealer guy just simply said something because he made the call and didn't know how to finish the discussion? My dealer hasn't called me up, may be till then i will take this news with a pinch of salt and a bottle of Whiskey to drown the frustration.

Till then...

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 12th September 2007 at 18:59.
Old 12th September 2007, 18:59   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely 25/27th September here in Bangalore as per Prerana Motors.

Price hike expected of about 1 lakh without further details. Current 3.0 NOT being heavily discounted here at least with a maximum of about 40k.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed