Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 09:55   #361
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Dicor -Powered by a 2.2 litre 103 kW DOHC 16 valve Direct Injection Common Rail turbo-diesel engine generating a max. torque of 320 Nm. The four-wheel drive transfer case provides the driver with an electronic shift-on-the-fly feature that enables a shift to 4x4 mode while the vehicle is still on the move upto 60 kmph.

this is the info from Geneva motor show website. they gonna debute 2.2l TATA Safari.
Old 3rd March 2007, 10:27   #362
BHPian

So, the 2.2L is going to be a higher revving engine that is likely to make the maximum power between 3000-4000 rpm with almost no strong vibration that appears to be the trait of the 3L truck engine.

May be all of us waiting for the 2.2L can buy the Petrol Safari? LOL.
Old 3rd March 2007, 10:47   #363
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
So, the 2.2L is going to be a higher revving engine that is likely to make the maximum power between 3000-4000 rpm with almost no strong vibration that appears to be the trait of the 3L truck engine.

May be all of us waiting for the 2.2L can buy the Petrol Safari? LOL.
The 2.2 is supposed to have Honeywell's Trademark VNT (Turbo) .... Lets wait and watch ... from what i have heard the torque is pretty good at low rpm ....
Old 3rd March 2007, 11:37   #364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
Did you face any initial niggles. Also any feedback about the slow response in gear shift which is so much talked about
One niggle - the fuel flap sometimes opened on its own. Found that the bracket holding it was not tight enough. Fixed and the problem has not re-occurred.

I don't find the gear shift response slow - but I'm not comparing this to a petrol car either. Be warned - all the pedals will feel heavy and wide apart compared to any car.

As suman has indicated, the leather around the gear lever creaks when cold.
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:45   #365
BHPian

Hi Friends
Today I went to the A-One motors on Mathura Road in Delhi to test drive the DICOR. I reached the showroom( which is infact a showroom cum workshop) at around 4:20 PM only to find that they have closed the showroom earlier then their scheduled time of 7:00 PM because of HOLI festival tomorrow
I could just peep around the DICORs standing around nothing more although from outside the showroom didnt look much impressive although they now sport a FIAT sign also alongside the TATA motors logo.
Neverthless, I shall go again next weekend as tomorrow the showroom is anyways closed because of HOLI.
Guys, I had a lot of questions to ask them just cannot get over my bad luck right now:-(

regards
pogu
Old 4th March 2007, 13:53   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
a senior tata motors engineer (who was back from training on the indgo dicor in pune) tells me (on condition of anonymity) that tata is struggling with the new 2.2 safari dicor.
Does anyone has more update on this information?

regards
POGU
Old 4th March 2007, 17:49   #367
Senior - BHPian

Do keep in mind if this is vehicle is going to be in your stable for a long term, believe me its worthwhile to go with the current 3ltr dicor. Its a tried and trusted engine.

As for the 2.2 well id say wait for the prod to settle down comfortably in the market then go for it or wait for the new 3.4 150+bhp VX Dicor and go for the same...

They surely have improved a lot. Why...because all the tata products atleast except few major auto brands do take time to settle down in market ( i believe at least 12-18months ) & i believe dicor has now settled well (for such a price)
It is one of the indian suvs which boasts of CRDI engine which can survive the indian diesel (60% diesel and 40% kerosene LOL ) and still manage a 10+KMPL
Be ready for the niggles they will exist & If not ready ..... then this vehicle maynot suit you.

Its good to gather all the experiences and take a decision on buying a car, but as a age old saying goes... buy a car which you like the most.....
Old 4th March 2007, 19:27   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
It is one of the indian suvs which boasts of CRDI engine which can survive the indian diesel (60% diesel and 40% kerosene LOL ) and still manage a 10+KMPL
That's what you think now. Wait till some kerosene or adulterated fuel makes its way in. Engine will shut off automatically while you're doing 120+ on the highway. Good fun.
Old 4th March 2007, 20:21   #369
BHPian

I have got a test drive scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Lets see how I get the beast rollin'
I am in love with it anyway!
Old 4th March 2007, 21:53   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
I have got a test drive scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Lets see how I get the beast rollin'
I am in love with it anyway!
Hey buddy, let me know which showroom you visit for the test drive and provide your feedback for the benefit of all. May be we all shall get a first hand idea/info about 2.2L launch!!
Old 4th March 2007, 22:28   #371
BHPian

Sure thing! Althouigh, I am more interested in the existing 3.0, I will definitely inquire about the forthcoming 2.2. Its gonna be Dhingra Motors, GGN.
Old 5th March 2007, 06:15   #372
BHPian

hi pogu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
Does anyone has more update on this information?

regards
POGU
will be meeting the gentleman this week.will pick his brains for good measure.
we'll discuss then...
Old 5th March 2007, 08:43   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Do keep in mind if this is vehicle is going to be in your stable for a long term, believe me its worthwhile to go with the current 3ltr dicor. Its a tried and trusted engine.
Although what you say is perfectly logical, I think there are significant advantages to the 2.2L motor. In my opinion, less vibration and higher power over a larger rpm range are big enough reasons to wait for it if one can. Additionally, one might get similar FE too.

If one is not driving much, the Petrol Safari may be a good choice as a long term vehicle as the resale is going to be a stinker in the short term for the petrol.
Old 5th March 2007, 13:57   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
One niggle - the fuel flap sometimes opened on its own. Found that the bracket holding it was not tight enough. Fixed and the problem has not re-occurred.

I don't find the gear shift response slow - but I'm not comparing this to a petrol car either. Be warned - all the pedals will feel heavy and wide apart compared to any car.

As suman has indicated, the leather around the gear lever creaks when cold.

Thanks for the feedback. So what we all understand is that there may be some mechanical niggles. But I was particularly asking for the kind of niggles which could bring the vehicle to a halt. Some refinement is always expected to be lagging from TATA but my concern was that will it be big enough to cause a vehicle breakdown or not;
based on the first hand experience of the members of the forum

regards
POGU
Old 5th March 2007, 16:33   #375
BHPian

Hello All;

Yesterday ( Sunday ) we ( me & my brother ) test drove the Safari. I called the dealer ( Concorde Motors, Bangalore ) around 1:30pm & asked them if they are open for a test drive, they said YES. So we reached there by 3:30pm, and with in 5 mins, there was a Sales person to help us out. He showed & explained us about the vehicle & got gate pass for the test drive. In the mean time i asked him about the launch of 2.2 ltr, He said, we can't believe tata motors, they might launch it this month / next month / or next year also. Usually tata gives surprises to the market, as they did with Indigo XL. ( Also heard Indigo XL sales are BAD )

So the test drive started, I took the driving seat, started the engine... and a small vibration ( earthquake ) was felt. First impression was, the engine sound was better than the earlier ones. Next, put it in first gear, Clutch is hard compared to our present vehicle ( Maruti Esteem ), but the gear shift was not tough. We took it out, it was good in the 1st gear, bit power loss in second but 3rd & 4th.... oops, its too good. As our Team BHP friends say, i checked for all the noises in the cabin, but for the surpise there was only one noise coming from the dash board, other than that the cabin was silent. That single noise can also be solved by playing some music. Everybody might be thinking, that i drove a new safari so noise is not there. No.......there were 3 safari's standing for test drive & i asked him to give us the one which has done more on mileage. So i took the one which had completed 16000 kilometers.

While doing the streches, its really ease and comfortable. The shocks are good, you dont feel the small potholes in the streets. Steering is good, but not has good as the esteem ( i know now i am driving the SUV ). Breaking was not perfect, but yes it is effective if it is used simultaneously by reducing ur gears. The pick up is amazing..... i took of at the speed of 20KMPH & reached 80KMPH with in 5 secs & i dint feel that i am travelling at such a speed. Road presence is beautiful, everybody on the road never miss to see this SUV. One main thing people should learn is Driving SUV & Driving a Sedan / Small car is bit different. Handling is bit different.

It was a very short drive of 15-20mins, and the sales person has promised me to give a better test drive of 1 hr before i book the vehicle.

I dont see any major problems in this vehicle, if everything is perfect, you dont feel you have a vehicle also, so you should have some minor problems, you should remember TATA's everyday, You should bless them for this SUV & curse them for all small niggles on this SUV on a daily basis.

If something is missing or gone wrong, please do correct me.

Regards
Deepak
Closed Thread

Most Viewed