Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 02:49   #511
Senior - BHPian

Gents

This thread is closed for the time being because it keeps going off topic. If someone has concrete info on the 2.2 DICOR, please PM one of the mods and we will open the thread.
Old 23rd April 2007, 16:58   #512
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread reopened upon a PM by member HSV. The Safari is to be launched in June 2007 - :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:01   #513
Team-BHP Support

That is old news! Tata is not giving June date officially.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:01   #514
Team-BHP Support

Taken from the link provided by GTO

Quote:
Tata Motors is planning to give the Safari yet another face-lift and an all-new 2.2 litre direct-injection common-rail (DICOR) engine. The new 2.2-litre DICOR was launched in the existing Safari at the recently-held Bologna Motor Show in Italy and will be sold in the export market from January 2007. However, Indian SUV buyers will have to wait till June 2007 before they can get their hands on the new engine, which is expected to be far superior to the existing 3-litre DICOR.

According to Tata Motors sources, the current DICOR which is an agricultural, push-rod motor based on the 407 LCV engine is only a stop-gap measure until the new motor comes. However, with the next-generation SUV platform (code: X2) delayed until 2008, Tata is planning to spruce up the decade-old Safari design to keep it on the boil till then.

The Sumo too is expected to undergo a face-lift, which includes more contemporary interiors and a centre-mounted instrument console, much like the next-gen Indica we snapped in our December 2006 issue.
I was more interested in the part in bold.
Centre mounted console for the Indica and Sumo too? Looks like they are going the Spark way, which not many liked (centre mounted console, i mean).
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:46   #515
BHPian

Hi friends,

I think the 2.2 would be launched by july or august because as per my sources. Some norms in respect to curb pollution for vehicles being exported to europe have been changed from april or may, these changes are in respect of body parts & not engine as it is already euro IV. hence they want to implement these changes to all vehicles which are Tata mobile & Safari as these are the vehicles which are regularly exported to europe.

But it seems these changes are going to take time which can be more 2 to three months hence the delay. Also by then new SUMO will also get ready & as there is strong possibility of 2.2 to be commonised for SUMO also.

Hence the launch of 2.2 safari / tata moble / sumo can be expected by july or august.
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:51   #516
Senior - BHPian

Please lets not go back to debating when this thing will finally be launched.

Old 23rd April 2007, 20:33   #517
HSV
BHPian

Oops... looks like I stirred the hornets' nest.

Sorry mates wasnt sure if this was old news or not - the date on Autocarindia's website must be dynamically updated to show today's date for every article.
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:36   #518
Senior - BHPian

as far as i can recollect
it has even come in this month's 'what car?' issue too.. in the 'worth waiting for' column.
Old 24th April 2007, 20:35   #519
BHPian

Hay Guys.. I am new here, I just read through all your posts, very informative..I guess i am in the right place to clear my doubts..!!

I am getting a Safari4wd this weak, I test drove both the Scorpio and the Safari, although the with the Safari you get loads of goodies like Bumper cam and LCD displays but the new Dicor Engine seems average at best... The Scorpio on the other hand looked cheap compared to Safari the Engine really impressed me, it was pretty quick on the throttle and handled bit better than the Safari...

Now I am confused.. Should i go for the Safari with the overall good features but slower engine or should i go for the Scorpio with its Average build but great engine.. !!

Also i found out the Safari is coming out with a newer models, does anyone have any idea about that?? Whats new and should i wait??

Any help is really really really appreciated.. Thanks guys..
Old 24th April 2007, 23:03   #520
BHPian

Mods
please close this thread as another round of 3.0 dicor discussions have started. monster_bhp, please use search forum to find answer to your queries. it has been answered in multiple threads.

-pogu
Old 25th April 2007, 00:33   #521
Team-BHP Support

Thread closed till "new" info comes. Until then 2.2 is Tata Fabia
Information from member dadu
Quote:
All those waiting for the Safari 2.2ltr and specially those residing in Pune can use the RTI act to their advantage, although this might not give you the exact date of the launch but will give you whether TATA has taken all the governmental approvals and are ready to launch i.e. as per govt regulations the TATA 2.2 ltr is meeting the Indian standards for on-road launch. You can file application for statistics manufacturers and their models who have filed for certification of their vehicles and those who have passed(last 1 year). It usually take 2-3 months after passing ARAI tests to be ready to launch on road.

ARAI website : ARAI : Home-Page

Go through this thread for how ARAI certification works: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...cles-work.html

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th June 2007 at 14:32.
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:50   #522
Senior - BHPian

2.2 Lit Tata Safari Facelift

hey Friends, today i managed to take snaps of 2.2 lit tata safari facelift. well the facelift is limited to grille only. the new grill is look like ACE. no other changes.
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:53   #523
BHPian

great job tushky ..
I think the older one looks better. May high resolution picture or actual safari can change views
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:54   #524
BHPian

Nice find tushky!!! ACE like grill??
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:55   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Nice find tushky!!! ACE like grill??
i meant to say the grill is same as grill of Tata Ace
Closed Thread

Most Viewed